Ratchetblast Internals Info Needed

Looking for photos or helpful description

14 replies to this topic

#1 frost vectron

frost vectron

• Members
  • 526 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 05:48 AM

I've begun designing my next large-scale project. It involves a Ratchetblast, along with a long list of things that need to be done.

Before I begin, though, I need some information regarding the internals of this gun. I've searched and found countless posts of how it was impossible to re-assemble after being taken apart.

I've opened the front half of the gun with no problems. The rear half of the gun is what scares me, though.

So does anybody have internal photos, stories of success, or nightmarish tales about opening the rear half of the gun (the half with the trigger assembly, weird cocking/pulley mechanisms, etc.)?

Very much appreciated.

And just so this thread isn't a complete waste of space:

Posted Image

This is the front half of the gun disassembled. The only thing to worry about is the catch spring in the "sight" is very touchy and likes to shoot off. The other spring (near the rotation mechanism) also likes to shoot off, but is not as touchy--it takes quite a bit to get it to fling away.

Here's to hoping I get to finish this thing as I envisioned it! I have high hopes for this mod.

EDIT: I am mainly interested in opening up the rear half of the gun to get the plunger out of there and do a spring replacement. If anybody has any other ideas for replacing the spring without having to take apart the rear half, I'd like to hear that too. I don't have the gun infront of me (it's 200 miles away). When I initially modded it, it was just a quick 'n dirty CPVC mod, so I don't remember if it was possible to do a spring replacement without disassembling it even more. Anyways, I'll stop rambling on endlessly.

Edited by frost vectron, 20 September 2007 - 05:51 AM.

Latest Modification: The Professional

"I am a leaf on the wind--watch how I soar" - Hoban "Wash" Washburne, Serenity.

#2 Carbon

Carbon

Contriberator

• Moderators
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 10:48 AM

The back of the rachetblast really isn't bad. It's just a little confusing because it doesn't exactly look like other Nerf guns. The cocking mechanism is pretty straightforward. The screw you see at the end of the plunger shaft is a peg going across teh back of teh gun. The back of the plunger is in an "L" shape. As the peg moves in an arc going backwards, it pushes against the L, as it moves up and down in the arc.

The trigger is different than other guns as well. The white part is the catch shaft. All the trigger does is press against the end of the shaft, which bends it enough to cause the catch to pop loose. At least, thatr's my recollection of taking my own ratchetblast apart.
Hello. I am Indigo of the Rainbow Clan. You Nerfed my father. Prepare to die.

#3 blister

blister

• Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 10:59 AM

The internals look similar to Razorbeast internals. I don't think you will be able to replace the stock spring easily, or even at all without major cutting. As for opening up the back half of the gun, I can't imagine it would be too hard to put back together. All it would be, (if I'm interpreting how the RatchetBlast works correctly) is some type of mechanism that pulls back, and then pushes forward to advance the turret. A trigger spring and some mechanism that moves the bottom white piece to release the catch perhaps?

A different idea to replace the spring, is to completely cut off coils of the stock spring until it falls off. If your replacement has thin enough coils, you might be able to thread it over the plunger rod.

I just noticed Carbon beat me when I previewed the post. Oh well, hope this helps.
Subvert the Dominant Paradigm.

#4 frost vectron

frost vectron

• Members
  • 526 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 02:59 PM

That helps a ton, thanks guys.

I'll probably get to start working on this during winter vacation.

#5 Kid Flash

Kid Flash

• Members
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 05:19 PM

i always just go into the bathtub and put the shower thing over and open up guns if i think they will "expload"

#6 Axelion burnout

Axelion burnout

• Members
  • 292 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 05:24 PM

There is no need to worry, you have already made it past the exploding parts stage.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Hope you find something good to do with this!
\,,/(^_^)\,,/

#7 frost vectron

frost vectron

• Members
  • 526 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 05:47 PM

Wow, that trigger is very strange!

Think I'll have any luck removing the stock spring from the back of the gun? Do you know if that L-shaped thing comes off the plunger rod?

#8 Carbon

Carbon

Contriberator

• Moderators
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 05:55 PM

Pictures refreshing my memory...thanks, axelion.

The trigger actually bends the plunger shaft away from the catch, by pushing againt the L shape. The white piece is what changes what barrel the airflow is going to; the ratchetblast doesn't have a "turret", per se.
Hello. I am Indigo of the Rainbow Clan. You Nerfed my father. Prepare to die.

#9 Axelion burnout

Axelion burnout

• Members
  • 292 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 06:15 PM

Nope, the L shaped thing doesn't appear to come off. Its in a slot that is inside the another plastic piece where the spring is. It only slides about a centimeter and I'm sure it has to do with how the gun is fired.

Its kinda hard to explain, hopefully these pictures help, but I suggest you open it up for yourself.

Posted Image

Posted Image
\,,/(^_^)\,,/

#10 frost vectron

frost vectron

• Members
  • 526 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 06:23 PM

Sounds interesting. Thanks a ton for the help.

Looks like I know what the first hurdle is...

#11 Retiate

Retiate

• Members
  • 778 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 11:25 PM

Ok, my friend had one of these and he gave it to me. I eventually trashed it because the wall that held the plunger in place (and other pieces) snapped off and got lost, so I figured custom fitting a piece of plastic wasn't worth it. Anyway, yes, you can get the spring off. The plunger sort of just comes apart. If you look at Axelion_Burnout's picture of the plunger rod, you can see where there are grooves and where the pieces come apart. It just takes a little force and the pieces come off and the spring can be removed. I'm sure you'll see how it works once you can actually see the plunger rod and mess with it a little bit.

#12 frost vectron

frost vectron

• Members
  • 526 posts

Posted 21 September 2007 - 01:21 AM

Internal walls snapped off? Does this mean I'm going to have to reinforce? Oh man...

Just the wall behind the spring area?

#13 Retiate

Retiate

• Members
  • 778 posts

Posted 21 September 2007 - 05:34 PM

I'm not exactly where it snapped at, though I remember it was around where the catch was. The Ratchetblast was from my friend, who found it outside in some bin in his yard or something like that, so the plastic was really brittle. He gave me a Manta Ray a while back, and some back pieces snapped off real easy as well. So, I'd probably reinforce it just to be sure, the plastic was pretty thin to begin with, but I don't think it'll require anything real serious.

#14 Axelion burnout

Axelion burnout

• Members
  • 292 posts

Posted 21 September 2007 - 09:00 PM

I guess you could get the spring off and replace it, but looks like you would have to cut the spring in order to pop the two sliding plastic pieces out from each other. That and you might risk breaking the little ends that hold the slider in place. I don't really know though, I didn't really mess around with it that much before reassembling it. I didn't really feel like losing any pieces, or breaking my Ratchetblast.

Edited by Axelion_burnout, 21 September 2007 - 09:04 PM.

\,,/(^_^)\,,/

#15 jwasko

jwasko

PowerBeard

• Moderators
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 11:07 PM

Similar to Retiate, parts of the walls of my Ratchetblast snapped off, too. In my case, it was mostly because I was trying to force the plunger (or some part) where, it turns out, it shouldn't go.

That's what I get for breaking my rule about messing with the internals of the classics (especially when I only have one).

P.S. It still worked once I got it back together, But I'm definitely not going to try to actually mod it...or even open it again.

-Jwasko, STILL Sole Surviving member of Steel City Nerf and Sober Sister of the Sex Dwarves
We NERF ON all day, and FUCK OFF all night

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users