Polar Star And/or Nemesis?

For Cave Story/Doukutsu Monogatari fans

3 replies to this topic

#1 Yoji

Yoji

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 09:03 PM

So, how many Cave Story/Doukutsu Monogatari fans do we have around here? I ask because I've been thinking of turning one of my Night Finders into a Polar Star based off this pic. How exactly I'd do that is giving me some trouble. I need to figure out:

-Barrel extension. I'll need to add at least 4 inches to match the length shown, but I'm having trouble getting any tubing that actually fits my darts. Home DesperateDepot seems to have a very loose definition of what a half inch is.
-Muzzle decoration. Maybe I could make it out of wood with a band saw and some obsessive sanding, but that sounds tough.

#2 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 09:10 PM

Home Depot seems to have a very loose definition of what a half inch is.

If you are talking about pipe it's not Home Depot's fault. Pipe sizes are not based on fractional measurements. Tubing with a precise 1/2" ID wouldn't work anyways.

SCH40 1/2 PVC pipe has an ID of .602"
SCH80 1/2 CPVC or PVC pipe can have an ID between .526" and .546". This is most likely to fit darts made with 1/2" Foam Backer Rod

A Nitefinder won't need a functioning barrel any longer than 3-1/2". Any longer than that will decrease your range average. If you want it to appear longer, then the extra length would need to be cosmetic.
The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#3 Guest_yourface_*

Guest_yourface_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 September 2007 - 09:15 PM

If you want a long barrel, try using brass. Put some 9/16 on the plunger tube and make tightening rings in the base. Nest 19/32 around it in the barrel length that you want, and you have a Nite Finder that is both functional and Polar Star-ish. Make sure that the dart doesn't touch the 19/32; if it's too fat, you should just nest it in 1/2" SCH 40 PVC.

#4 Yakkers

Yakkers

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 04:39 PM

Ah yes, I love Doukutsu Monogatari. I'm still stuck at the final boss of whatever branch I'm in.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users