Glue Help

Another thread about glue.

11 replies to this topic

#1 six-five-two

six-five-two

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 10:46 PM

Well I kinda need some help with glue. First of all, I did search except I didn't want to read every single search result so I thought I would make my own thread. Anyways, here is the glue I have:
PVC Cement - For gluing pvc piping to fittings or couplers onto guns.
Epoxy - Used for nothing, it dried up and it sucked.
Some Unknown Plastic Adhesive - I use it sometimes, but it sucks aswell.
Hot Glue - Used for coupler to barrel mods (when I am too lazy to go downstairs and use the PVC cement) and other stuff, still sucks... all my coupler to barrel mods the coupler came off.

Problem: I need a very strong adhesive glue that has the following:
-Airtight
-Strong
-Doesn't have to mix 2 tubes like epoxy

And well that's about all I want from a good glue. Thanks in advanced.

#2 SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

• Members
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 12:02 AM

The plastic cement I found in a local hobby shop forms insane bonds with polyethelyne and other plastics. It's like the kind of thing you can bond the stock barrel/plunger assembly of an NF with and then safely play tug of war using it instead of rope...

You may want to try Plumber's Goop, usually found in a purple tube. It has to cure, but you don't need to mix in hardener and it becomes airtight. Other than that, try good ole' superglue. The LocTite stuff. Or Fishin' Glue. DO NOT GET A GEL-LIKE VERSION. Gel superglue is for porous surfaces like foams and wood, not plastics. Plastic likes the watery equivalents. Plus, Superglue will dry completely in ten seconds if applied in dots, or in one minute if used over a larger surface.

Edited by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA, 16 September 2007 - 10:21 AM.

The only commonly shared fate among us all is death. I turn to the shadows so that I may not be unfamiliar with hell's corridors when I arrive. - SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

Founder of the Shadow Militia.
Founder of Nightshade Laboratories and The Nightshade Armament Corporation.

#3 Prometheus

Prometheus

• Members
  • 780 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 06:58 AM

The plastic cement I found in a local hobby shop forms insane bonds with polyethelyne and other plastics. It's like the kind of thing you can bond the stock barrel/plunger assembly with and then safely play tug of war using it instead of rope...

You may want to try Plumber's Goop, usually found in a purple tube. It has to cure, but you don't need to mix in hardener and it becomes airtight. Other than that, try good ole' superglue. The LocTite stuff. Or Fishin' Glue. DO NOT GET A GEL-LIKE VERSION. Gel superglue is for porous surfaces like foams and wood, not plastics. Plastic likes the watery equivalents. Plus, Superglue will dry completely in ten seconds if applied in dots, or in one minute if used over a larger surface.

Wow, that's weird. Every article I've read about adhering plastics indicates that polyethylene can't effectively be glued, it has to be welded.

652, try JB weld, I've always had good results with it, I once glued a valve that broke, and it held wonderfully, even though the valve was for delivering battery acid.
QUOTE(VACC @ Jan 24 2008, 06:12 AM) View Post
I am NEVER going to sleep naked in the bed of a former child star ever again....seriously

#4 Springer

Springer

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 09:46 AM

I say that you should use gorilla glue. It's uber-cheap and works WONDERFULLY. It has never let me down, but you do have to roughen up the surface whenever you want to glue something. Also, superglue works really good for a crack in a plastic peice or something like that.

#5 l337n3rf3r

l337n3rf3r

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 12:21 PM

I'd say go with Plumbers Goop. Talio recommended it to me a while back. It works really well.

~l337
Wii would like to play with you.

#6 six-five-two

six-five-two

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 06:03 PM

I'd say go with Plumbers Goop. Talio recommended it to me a while back. It works really well.

~l337

Done.

#7 SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

• Members
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 08:40 PM

Just thought I might as well stick this in here.

Posted Image

Plastic Cement: a bottle of Testor's finest. It only bonds plastic, not PVC or anything of that sort. However, the bond it forms between plastics is incredibly strong and reliable. Just don't inhale the fumes, it contains methylethylketone (MEK: it eats your brain cells).
The only commonly shared fate among us all is death. I turn to the shadows so that I may not be unfamiliar with hell's corridors when I arrive. - SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

#8 Prometheus

Prometheus

• Members
  • 780 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 12:04 AM

Just thought I might as well stick this in here.

Plastic Cement: a bottle of Testor's finest. It only bonds plastic, not PVC or anything of that sort. However, the bond it forms between plastics is incredibly strong and reliable. Just don't inhale the fumes, it contains methylethylketone (MEK: it eats your brain cells).

What do you mean? PVC is a plastic...
QUOTE(VACC @ Jan 24 2008, 06:12 AM) View Post
I am NEVER going to sleep naked in the bed of a former child star ever again....seriously

#9 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,471 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 01:32 AM

I mainly only use 3 forms of glue.

Hot glue: For stefans and making walls inside gun shells to support new springs, pump tubes barrels etc.
Fishin Glue: For a super strong adhesion.
Plumbers goop: For things like air seal.

There are a ton of other uses for these three glues that I cannot think of right now.

I have tried using many other glues that have failed in comparison. Superglue, Epoxy, Marine epoxy, Gel Epoxy, Tacky Glue, PVC cement and others I cannot remember at the time.

When it comes to adhering plastic, there is nothing that the above three mentioned can not do, whether it be alone or combined with one or even two of the other three.
I don't get my kicks out of you,
I don't feel the way I used to do.
I know its bad,
After what we had,
But Iím just not the angel you knew.

#10 SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

• Members
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 03:11 PM

What do you mean? PVC is a plastic...

Sorry, I should have been more clear. The plastic cement is only good for polyethylenes, not PVCs or CPVCs. I have already tested it, and there was no result.

Also, the reason I like plastic cement so much is because it is ultra-cheap and super-strong for what it is. Also, you don't need much per application, so one bottle lasts quite a while. This doesn't mean it's the be-all-end-all, but it's reliable. Forsaken's list is also effective if you can find Fishin' Glue. I imagine that superglue is the closest substitute.

Edited by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA, 18 September 2007 - 03:14 PM.

#11 shadowkid33

shadowkid33

• Members
  • 633 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 04:25 PM

I found fishin' glue at Dick's Sporting Goods for the record. It works very well.
how the heck do you make a double clip?

Here are the steps.
1. Go to the search button in the right corner of the screen
2. Click
3. Search double longshot clip.

i dont have time, jeez, im new here!

#12 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,761 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 11:28 AM

MEK or Plastic Cement for model making works on primarily polystyrene, ABS, acetate, and acrylic but should work on polypropylene and maybe even polyethylene but I'm not sure. It won't work on Nylon, Acetal, PVC, polybutylene, or other chemically resistive.

I personally would prefer to use IPS Weld-On #3 or #4 though since they're not as toxic. They work on the same materials and have the same viscocity so you can apply them with a natural fiber brush or a 3cc syringe with a very narrow gauge needle.
Posted Image
Mcmaster part# 7528A13
It works best on acrylic, ABS, polystyrene, butyrate, PETG, and polycarbonate.

Both are solvent cements more than they are adhesives. One version of super glue you can make yourself is putting chips of acrylic into acetone. It's a really fast acting solvent adhesive though so don't play with it.

The glue you choose should be based on the materials you are trying to adhere together. I generally hate glue and there are only a few I can stand using around the house.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 19 September 2007 - 11:35 AM.

The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users