Nitefinder Petg Mod Question

My first post :P

24 replies to this topic

#1 rocksolid

rocksolid

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 01:03 PM

I am doing a NF PETG barrel replacement for me and my friends. My friend told me that he wanted a long PETG barrel. Does the length really matters much? I saw some mods here and I also googled it before. Most of them suggested a length of about 4-4.5". So can it be any where longer than 4.5"? (My friend wants a 6" barrel). So does the length really matters MUCH?

==Rock==
Dude. What's that behind you? AHHHH IT'S A STEFAN

#2 chalywong

chalywong

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 01:12 PM

Personally, I like to keep the barrels on my pistols short because it helps in reload time. A longer barrel will help accuracy a little bit but thats only if you ramrod or blow the dart to the back of the barrel every shot. I think pistols should be used for close battles and reload time is important. With a shorter barrel you can just stick a dart in and shoot. Thats me 2 cents on the subject.

#3 rocksolid

rocksolid

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 01:18 PM

Ok. Thanks for your opinions. But I think he wants to mod the Nitefinder into like a "rifle" look kinda gun. But I'll tell him about that. Also I've heard spring replacements help a lot. But how, where and what do I use to reinforce the gun? As it would explode and shatter as I fire it.

==Rock==

#4 KBarker

KBarker

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 01:43 PM

A regular spring replacement doesn't require any reinforcement, as long as you avoid dry-firing it a bunch.
-KBarker

My Fighting Robots: http://www.TeamVelocityRobotics.com/

#5 rocksolid

rocksolid

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 02:02 PM

Oh. No reinforcements. So it wouldn't explode right?
Also what happens when you dry-fire?

==Rock==

#6 AJAQ

AJAQ

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 03:27 PM

As long as you don't have an issue actually getting the spring IN the NF, you shouldn't have to re-enforce.

Using craft foam on the front of the plunger head might be beneficial.
~AJAQ~

#7 rocksolid

rocksolid

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 03:44 PM

Where is the plunger head? I am not sure where's the head or the "end"... Any chances of pictures?

Also what tools should I use when I'm cutting down the PETG to my desire size?

==Rock==

Edited by rocksolid, 15 September 2007 - 03:45 PM.

#8 SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

• Members
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 03:48 PM

The end of the plunger that has the groove and O-ring on it. Put a TTG (Tech Target) spring or part of an AR-15 buffer spring in the gun, and you should be fine.

Dry-firing is shooting the gun without a dart in the barrel. The dart blocks the escape of air out the barrel, which slows the plunger slightly. If there's no dart in the barrel, then the plunger head hits the end of the plunger tube at full force and will eventually break something.

Use a Dremel or a hacksaw to cut the PETG to length, but make sure to sand the end down smooth and level before using it as a barrel.

Edited by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA, 15 September 2007 - 03:49 PM.

The only commonly shared fate among us all is death. I turn to the shadows so that I may not be unfamiliar with hell's corridors when I arrive. - SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

Founder of the Shadow Militia.
Founder of Nightshade Laboratories and The Nightshade Armament Corporation.

#9 six-five-two

six-five-two

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 03:52 PM

The most safest spring replacement is with a crossfire+nitefinder spring. It shoots as good as my BBB and is not as strong as the Handyman Springs. Just don't dryfire it (SHA explains why). As you see in the trading section, I am looking for some crossfire springs for my nitefinders...

EDIT: chalywong: You probably don't need to ramrod it if you make the air seal good enough so that when you pull back the plunger, it sucks the dart back.

Edited by six-five-two, 15 September 2007 - 03:58 PM.

#10 General Cole

General Cole

• Banned
  • 868 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 03:57 PM

Best spring replacement is AT1K spring and NF spring together. I had one for a while before putting the 1K back together and it hit (once) 107. But the average after that was in the 90s.
We should stop calling out/making fun of/pissing GC off. He's actually contributed and is available for trade. He's a better than average member no doubt. Got your back Cole.
-Nerfer34

You know what... I know it's kinda late... but Props Cole.
-Baghead

#11 six-five-two

six-five-two

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 04:03 PM

Best spring replacement is AT1K spring and NF spring together. I had one for a while before putting the 1K back together and it hit (once) 107. But the average after that was in the 90s.

I'm guessing your gun didn't last that long without some serious reinforcements. Just use a Handyman spring and a shitload of reinforcements if you want good ranges... or just buy yourself a bigger gun with a bigger plunger, etc.

#12 rocksolid

rocksolid

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 04:04 PM

Thanks a lot SHA. And to 652, my friend has a crossfire, I'll ask him whether he wants to use that one.
By the way, how do I get a better seal? Should I use some foam(like a sacrificial dart) and then wrap it around the joint of the PETG and the Plunger Shaft to prevent leaks?

Edit: Oh and how do I reinforce it? Do I reinforce the case of the gun? Or the internals?

==Rock==
Thanks

Edited by rocksolid, 15 September 2007 - 04:06 PM.

#13 six-five-two

six-five-two

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 04:07 PM

Better seal:
On the plunger head, put another o-ring along with the stock o-ring. The ones I have is 3/4 or something like that.

Glue the PETG to the air restrictor part and electrical tape everything over that. Also electrical tape over the part from the plunger tube to the barrel.

EDIT: If you want to reinforce your gun... then follow this mod by telekinetic:
http://www.tfproject...d.php?p=2293823

Edited by six-five-two, 15 September 2007 - 04:09 PM.

#14 SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

• Members
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 04:11 PM

Reinforce by hot-glueing (DO NOT EPOXY, you will have to take the gun apart eventually, and epoxy will make that very difficult) the plunger tube in place, glueing a metal washer onto the plunger head, and adding aluminum strips to the sides of the plunger rod, the spring perch (the C-shaped tabs of plastic towards the back of the gun that the plunger rod slides through) and to the catch. The catch spring can be replaced by a portion of a Bic click-pen spring.

For a better seal, wrap some E-tape (electrical tape) in the groove where the O-ring goes, replace the O-ring, and then add another O-ring of the same size. Then, wash out the plunger tube and re-lubricate it with some silicone spray.

Edit: 652 beat me to it...

Edited by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA, 15 September 2007 - 04:12 PM.

The only commonly shared fate among us all is death. I turn to the shadows so that I may not be unfamiliar with hell's corridors when I arrive. - SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

#15 six-five-two

six-five-two

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 04:16 PM

Reinforce by hot-glueing (DO NOT EPOXY, you will have to take the gun apart eventually, and epoxy will make that very difficult) the plunger tube in place, glueing a metal washer onto the plunger head, and adding aluminum strips to the sides of the plunger rod, the spring perch (the C-shaped tabs of plastic towards the back of the gun that the plunger rod slides through) and to the catch. The catch spring can be replaced by a portion of a Bic click-pen spring.

For a better seal, wrap some E-tape (electrical tape) in the groove where the O-ring goes, replace the O-ring, and then add another O-ring of the same size. Then, wash out the plunger tube and re-lubricate it with some silicone spray.

Well I forgot to add the part about relubing the gun with silicone spray. You can find o-rings a fraction of a size bigger than the current nitefinder o-ring. Then you don't have to put e-tape into that groove.

#16 rocksolid

rocksolid

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 04:19 PM

Well I forgot to add the part about relubing the gun with silicone spray. You can find o-rings a fraction of a size bigger than the current nitefinder o-ring. Then you don't have to put e-tape into that groove.

Would it still work(maybe not better) if I just put E-Tape to joints of the barrel? Would that be enough for a better seal?

#17 SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

• Members
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 04:44 PM

If you used a few layers and wrapped it tightly. However, it would make it a bit harder to get the barrel assembly back into the shell of the gun. I would use hot glue or (even better) epoxy so that there is no question that the seal is the best it can be.

#18 rocksolid

rocksolid

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 05:05 PM

That's what I plan on doing. Using hot glue or epoxy to put the barrel on the plunger shaft/tube. To ensure there is the least amount of leak there possibly is.

Thanks SHA.

By the way, I'm getting OMC's PETG and it should be here next week.

Edited by rocksolid, 15 September 2007 - 05:05 PM.

#19 Dayko

Dayko

• Members
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 12:18 PM

A good spring to put in there is the spring from the Double Shot. That's what I did with the PETG and it gets really good range. It beats out my CPVC NF most of the time.

< One foot in death...The other in life. >

#20 Guest_yourface_*

Guest_yourface_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 September 2007 - 04:29 PM

Yeah, the Double Shot has a damn strong spring for a stock gun. The PETG probably gets you even more range.

#21 rocksolid

rocksolid

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 07:18 PM

Since I'm gonna do at least 5 NF's, I would most likely not buy several DS and waste my money. But thanks for you help.

Also, is it better to use epoxy or amazing/plumber's goop for when putting the barrel on?

#22 sam

sam

• Members
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 07:51 PM

If your using PETG, I would recommend doing it like this, and either adding a mini bungee, or a #49 spring and another o-ring. For the most part, it's not worth using another gun's spring as a replacement spring, because there is always else you can use that will be cheaper.

#23 rocksolid

rocksolid

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 05:38 PM

OK. Sam I agree with you on NOT using parts from another gun.
So is it better to use plumber's goop or epoxy to put the barrel on?

==Rock==

#24 sam

sam

• Members
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 07:46 PM

I've found that a combination of super glue and hot glue work well enough. If you feel the need to use one of those two,i'd go with Plumber's Goop.

#25 rocksolid

rocksolid

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 04:03 PM

Thanks. Sam. I'm gonna run to lowes tomorrow and get some :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users