What do you think?

17 replies to this topic

#1 Evil

Evil

Fucking Copout

• Members
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 27 September 2003 - 03:01 PM

Been thinking about picking one up lately. I'm not a big PC gamer so I think XBox might be the best way to go. Halo owns. Halo 2 will be out sometime soon next year. Counter Strike and Half Life 2 are both comming out for it. I think Allied Assault is out for it or I'm mistaken. There's more online games than PS2 but that won't keep me from Socom II and whatnot.

So what do you guys say? Should I pick one up? I have a PS2 already but I do like what the XBox has to offer.
2007 Great American GoreFest Champion (Aug. 4, Apoc)

#2 THIRST

THIRST

• Members
  • 1,099 posts

Posted 27 September 2003 - 03:12 PM

Well, I dont have an xbox, but I play it alot, and they have different kinds of games. PS2 hasnt really been putting out alot of games lately, and counterstrike on a system is going to be horrible...but xbox is has lots of fun games if they fit your preference, if the price is right, get one. Get timesplitters 2 for your PS2 though, its one of the few awsome games for that system.
ko

#3 Grinch

Grinch

• Members
  • 642 posts

Posted 27 September 2003 - 04:02 PM

XBox is like a computer. It has all the good qualties of a computer; the graphics are amazing, and the processing speed is incredible. However, like a computer, it also is prone to freezing. Meh, if you want a system with realistic shooters, get an XBox.
Webmaster of Nerf World

Previously mrgrinch_nm!

#4 Daedarus

Daedarus

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 27 September 2003 - 05:30 PM

Not only good shooters, there are some kickass RPG's coming out. Squad-based RPG: Sudeki comes out in December, Baldur's Gate II comes out soon, and the most anticipated RPG of the year comes out along in January: Fable. I also read in Game Informer like 2 hours ago they are coming out with an RPG called Jade Empire, which takes place in Ancient China. You can customize characters to learn over 30 different martial arts forms, and use weapons, magic, etc.. Max Payne 2 comes out soon, also. Heh, yes I have an Xbox and yes I love it. I got mine for $130 (refurbished), not too shabby.
The girlfriends are for the boobies. The girls who are friends are for the... boobies.
-Howie

#5 Evil

Evil

Fucking Copout

• Members
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 27 September 2003 - 09:27 PM

Yea I got TimeSplitters 2 for PS2, and even just bought the original which is pretty badass too. I'm gonna get an XBox (used) w/ Halo (used) as a package for $150. Not a bad deal, comes with controller and chords needed. As for freezing, that happens with my PS2 also, but not often at all so I shouldn't get terribly mad/upset if it happens.

After seeing the Counter Strike video by the way, I was rather impressed. Porting such a game would be a task and of course their will be "hardcore" backlash, but what I saw was gold man. Graphics were amazing, so fluid and so smooth. The sound was crisp and the little details (the bolts of the guns and the player models) were great.

#6 Daedarus

Daedarus

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 27 September 2003 - 11:21 PM

I actually liked TS 1 more than TS 2. TimeSplitters 2 had so much variety that it seemed almost unorganized to me. I am obsessed with playing Capture the Bag on the Chinese level on TS 1
The girlfriends are for the boobies. The girls who are friends are for the... boobies.
-Howie

#7 taita cakes

taita cakes

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 28 September 2003 - 04:38 AM

Well you could go ahead for the games but ps2 is said to be launching a whole new console and teh second xbox is going to be out VERY soon... but for the online package i'd chose ps2... in australia at least the xbox live package will set you back $99 for the connection and summit like $50 every year thereafyer, while ps2 is summit like $75 for the modem and free [or virtually] thereafter...
Oh Kentucky, you are so fuggin awesome...

#8 Evil

Evil

Fucking Copout

• Members
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 28 September 2003 - 06:57 AM

Well you could go ahead for the games but ps2 is said to be launching a whole new console and teh second xbox is going to be out VERY soon... but for the online package i'd chose ps2... in australia at least the xbox live package will set you back $99 for the connection and summit like $50 every year thereafyer, while ps2 is summit like $75 for the modem and free [or virtually] thereafter...

Yea PS2 is launching a new console, not for a bit though. And the new XBox2 is comming out in 2005 or so I've heard. XBox live is a $50 fee yearly here in America, which isn't a problem. As for the PS2 network adapter I bought it for $40. Not bad. I think I'm going to get XBox this week.

Ewwwwwwwwww... Xbox and PS2 in the same year? I feel dirty.

#9 Formerly Sane

Formerly Sane

• Members
  • 210 posts

Posted 28 September 2003 - 04:38 PM

Xbox is a giant MP3 player, plus the memory is huge. I've saved things from 15 or so games and have downloaded 9 full CDs and my memory still says "+50,000 BLOCKS".
NERF: www.CYCLONENERF.netfirms.com
FLASH: www.thinkhappy.netfirms.com
BAND: www.skwalrock.com

#10 Evil

Evil

Fucking Copout

• Members
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 28 September 2003 - 06:42 PM

So wait, maybe this is a stupid question, but do you need a memory card for XBox? Or is it all saved onto the HD?

#11 stevo123

stevo123

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 28 September 2003 - 10:00 PM

it is all saved in the hd but they also sell memory cards if you want to play a saved game on a different xbox i guess. to be honest with you about xbox, i bought mine to play halo and that was it, i still have halo and on other game and it is and amazing system, halo is all you need.
Stevo123 of DCNerf. Web site coming soon.

#12 sosafan2

sosafan2

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 September 2003 - 07:02 AM

stevo123 Posted on Sep 28 2003, 07:00 PM
to be honest with you about xbox, i bought mine to play halo and that was it, i still have halo and on other game and it is and amazing system, halo is all you need.

Yes, the Xbox is well worth buying even if all you have is Halo. I've had Halo for over a year, maybe 2 years, and I'm still not tired of playing it.
sosafan2@hotmail.com

#13 wtrent10

wtrent10

• Banned
  • 219 posts

Posted 03 October 2003 - 10:45 PM

buy one right fucking now. don't finish reading this just drop everything and go to wherever and buy one. but wait for halo2 to come out before getting halo it'll be like 20.00 after halo2 comes out. and also it's coming out this year december.
"This movie is the cause for all mental retardation. every kid I see walking down the street slamming their hand against their chest and yelling some incoherent sound I'm gonna point at them and yell, 'NO!!!!!!!! YOU WATCHED SKY CAPTAIN!!!!'"

~James

#14 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 03 October 2003 - 11:54 PM

Ok, purchasing any console system for the purpose of playing FPS games is flat out ludicrous. I mean, I can't name a single FPS on ANY console that has not paled in comparison to its PC counterparts. Don't get me wrong, I play many more console games than I do PC, but that is because I play the kind of games these systems thrive on. If you want sports titles with online connectivity, or simply have a sweet ass HD set-up...or want Kotor of course, then get an Xbox. Otherwise you will have wasted your money in my opinion. Halo alone IS NOT worth it, I'm sorry.

VACC

#15 Groove

Groove

Certified Badass

• Founders
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 04 October 2003 - 07:05 AM

Agreed. Halo was one of those first generation Xbox games, so the graphics are just that - first generation. Besides, Halo just got ported to the PC, and you actually get to use the cool weapons / vehicles in multiplayer, with a keyboard and a mouse, not a joystick and 4 buttons.

I own an Xbox, but I don't play it as much as I play on my PC. Xbox has some good titles...Mech Assault, Panzer Dragoon Orta, Splinter Cell...however there are also some nice titles coming out for it that I'm definately going to buy in the future, mainly being Halo 2. *drool* I guess it all boils down to what you want to play, err what you enjoy playing - and seeing if the Xbox offers that.

"Too close for missiles, I'm switchin' to guns"

#16 Evil

Evil

Fucking Copout

• Members
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 04 October 2003 - 09:40 AM

I'm not a fan of PC gaming for two reasons. I don't have the OS that so many others do, we're all Mac OS in this house, which I don't mind since I've never been a PC gamer so I feel like I'm not missing out. The problem I have with the industry is that things change so fast that my system could become outdated in a matter of no time at all. I may be able to run a badass game, but months from now I could be shit out of luck.

With a console, I know that I won't have to worry about something like that for years.

EDIT: Not sure if I said this before but I did buy an XBox this week. Hot damn am I happy with it.

#17 Groove

Groove

Certified Badass

• Founders
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 04 October 2003 - 10:09 AM

I think you've got a strewed misconception of the PC gaming industry.

Things don't really change that fast...let's take a look at the most recent games: Halo port to PC, JK: Jedi Academy, Freedom Fighters, Warhammer 40,000: Fire Warrior, Etherlords II, WarCraft III: The Frozen Throne - the list continues. My system is 2, almost 2 and a half years old. It can run Unreal Tournament 2003 at 1600 x 1200 resolution at 32 bit color, trilinear filtering, etc - and still maintain a great fps. My Counter-Strike is set at 1024 x 768, and I get around an average of 80 fps. Shit, my friend gave me the hacked version of Doom III Alpha, and it still got a good fps (for an alpha version of a hacked game, no doubt). Games that have been released in the past 6 months to a year have remained, for the most part very, very linear in that nothing ground-breaking and amazing has been seen graphics wise (or required me to upgrade in any sort of way). Shit, you'd be surprised what 512 MB DDR RAM, and a GeForce Ti4600 can do for you these days. My system has a 400 Mghz front-side bus, and only processes at about 1.8 Ghz. It's let me play any game I've wanted to play in the past 2 and a half years. I'm looking forward to more gaming goodness in the future.

My uncle buys "second-hand" parts for his system at the end of every 6-8 month quarter in the industry, right after all the manufacturers make their brand new shiney pieces to sell, so he gets them at a great discount. In the end, what is a few extra Mghz, a stick of 128 MB RAM, and 10 extra GB's going to be worth? Nothing, it's not worth it - at all. He's a little extreme when it comes to computing and gaming, however he still manages to keep his system up to date. True, there are some obvious flaws in the industry, and well - let's not go there.

I think the fact that you're blaming the industry for changing so fast and being "shit out of luck in a few months" as you said it, is because (I'm probably going to get flamed for saying this) you own a Mac. There is almost no difference between this phenomena and that of the console gaming world - just the time span between new console platform releases. If you've never been much of a PC gamer and you feel like you're not missing out, then how can you take such a strewed look at the industry? What I just got out of your post is you're taking a really insignificant factor of the PC gaming industry and blowing it up...it's really not a big deal, really.

EDIT: Congrats on your Xbox purchase! Glad you like it.

"Too close for missiles, I'm switchin' to guns"

#18 Evil

Evil

Fucking Copout

• Members
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 04 October 2003 - 08:55 PM

That's cool that you can run that stuff. And you're actually right now that I think about it. Since I own an Apple computer, I've never sat down and gotten involved with online gaming or even computer gaming for the most part. I was raised on NES. Consoles have been my thing for a while. Maybe that's it.

Concidering that consoles are cheaper, that may have swayed my tastes from the beginning. :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users