Barrel Tightness

And How to Measure it

17 replies to this topic

#1 nerfturtle

nerfturtle

• Members
  • 223 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 11:45 PM

One thing that has always annoyed me about most write-ups is that the modders often give people sizes of barrels to use, and get amazing ranges with those barrels. Then someone else tries doing the same thing, and they could do it the exact same way and have their darts drop out a couple feet from the gun. To solve this problem, i propose we adopt a system, where we have an inch long piece of FBR, no wieghts, and see how much weight you can put on top of the foam to get it moving. In your write-ups you could state, "My FBR has a moving weight (MW) of x grams." Or some junk like that. I think this would greatly help new and more seasoned modders understand people's write-ups.
I'm interested to see what you think.
The tough coughs as he ploughs the dough.
-Dr. Suess

#2 lionhead333

lionhead333

Aslan

• Members
  • 252 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 05:47 AM

It's a good idea, but how many noob threads would be a result?
'Quick Question'
'What Does This Mean?'
'MW; Means What?'
'How Many Grams Is FBR In The First place?'

Really, if there weren't so many people who joined for the hell of it, this would work great.
QUOTE(Ubermensch)
If I were you, I wouldn't mess with the mods, or make stupid mistakes like misspelling their names. I mean, CAVV is really tough on that kind of thing

Most recent write up-
Sharpshooter 2

#3 NerfMonkey

NerfMonkey

• Members
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 05:52 AM

Grams are a measure of mass, not weight.

You could just look at a writeup and adjust your barrel accordingly to fit your own darts. You know what works best for you so use that.
SexD Warves

#4 One Man Clan

One Man Clan

TOFTS

• Contributors
  • 2,170 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 06:01 AM

It has nothing to do with new people. The main problem with that is that EVERYONE'S FBR will be different. That's why people get varying ranges in the first place. It has been said before, but you really have to mod for your foam. Mods in general are just guidelines, and you should be able to change them yourself to suit what you need.

EDIT:
Just elaborating on what Monkey said. He got in there before I could.
I hate you.

#5 badger

badger

The Walking Nerf-wiki

• Members
  • 1,171 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 06:05 AM

I see a different problem with this idea. Part of the reason the darts may work well for some people and not others is the making of the darts themselves. Even though you may do everything the same when it comes to building the gun, there is no way your darts will come out the same unless you use the original gun designer's dryer and live in the same type of climate, and even then there is no guarantee as it is also up to the modder's talents.

In my experience, FBR is affected by outside climate, storage climate, and even altitude to a small degree. I bought some of Forsaken's FBR and built my darts exactly as he did, yet most of them are a little bit looser than the few of his I found lying around at a war. The temperature of his dryer may be slightly higher or lower than mine, his climate is obviously colder than mine (Canada to NJ), and ther are probably other factors that could cause this difference.

In the end, maybe instead of copying a mod word for word including the barrel, you should use the mods as more of a set of guidelines. Nearly all of my mods are similar to others, but they deviate at certain points to encompass my playstyle. MerfMonkey hit it right on the head.

EDIT: OMC beat me to it. Too early in the morning to type fast..

Edited by badger, 11 September 2007 - 06:06 AM.

As Carbon once said,

"The moment you can no longer see the fun in running around like a little child is the moment you begin to die."

Roses are FF0000
Violets are 0000FF

ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US

#6 General Cole

General Cole

• Banned
  • 868 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 08:06 AM

We could measure tightness by amount of .177 copper BBs, or .2g Airsoft pellets. It would be a pain and almost no one would comply, but it would work.
We should stop calling out/making fun of/pissing GC off. He's actually contributed and is available for trade. He's a better than average member no doubt. Got your back Cole.
-Nerfer34

You know what... I know it's kinda late... but Props Cole.
-Baghead

#7 Thom

Thom

• Members
  • 759 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 12:03 PM

It has nothing to do with new people. The main problem with that is that EVERYONE'S FBR will be different. That's why people get varying ranges in the first place. It has been said before, but you really have to mod for your foam. Mods in general are just guidelines, and you should be able to change them yourself to suit what you need.

EDIT:
Just elaborating on what Monkey said. He got in there before I could.

I think that varying FBR would not be a problem. The whole point is to measure the tightness of a piece of FBR in a barrel; two similar results even with different barrels and FBR should have very nearly the same friction.

#8 Pineapple

Pineapple

Old-school Admin

• Contributors
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 12:05 PM

I agree with the three seasoned Nerfers (OMC, Badger, Monkey).

Plus, I've come to the conclusion that about half of the claims of range are pure, unadulterated bullshit. So I dismiss claimed ranges altogether, and focus on what the person has done, as everyone said, as a set of guidelines of what they did. Then I use what materials work best for me and move on the modification.

If it gets even 10 feet over the unmodified range, I consider it successful. Of course, to use it in a war to one's advantage, 30-50 feet is much more preferred.

Most of the mod problems on NerfHaven (and everywhere else) come from really green Nerfers who try to do a mod, word for word, and when they don't get the same ranges (or have a non-working blaster), they have a shit fit and start posting all kinds of distress posts. That's why it's important for members to look over a modification and carefully consider if the person posting the mod is full of it, or not.

Caveat emptor (buyer beware). You are responsible for what you do to your Nerf blasters, not us.
-Piney- of White Dog Hobbies Armory

<!--quoteo(post=209846:date=Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM:name=boom)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(boom @ Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM) View Post</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
It's to bad you live in hawaii I bet there are not many wars there.Wait what am I saying<b> you live in hawaii you lucky bastard.</b>
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#9 Carbon

Carbon

Contriberator

• Moderators
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 12:06 PM

We could measure tightness by amount of .177 copper BBs, or .2g Airsoft pellets. It would be a pain and almost no one would comply, but it would work.

I could fill one of my barrels with copper BBs and it wouldn't shift one of my darts.
Hello. I am Indigo of the Rainbow Clan. You Nerfed my father. Prepare to die.

#10 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 01:24 PM

Reliability, accuracy, and durability are far more important than range anyways. If you can shoot 50 feet and know very well where the dart is going to land you will be far more effective than shooting 100+ feet and having no idea where it's going to go.

I don't pay attention to reported ranges for the reasons already stated.
The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#11 KBarker

KBarker

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 04:42 PM

This is in theory a good idea. The whole point is to help people choose a barrel size that matches the "tightness" of the original mod, even though it might be a different size due to varying FBR. However, it's unlikely to be effective since no one will take the time to measure it. I had the same idea with ranges, we really should measure muzzle velocity instead, but it's too much effort for most people.
-KBarker

My Fighting Robots: http://www.TeamVelocityRobotics.com/

#12 Lynx

Lynx

• Members
  • 983 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 05:25 PM

Why not not make a sticky with a formula to find out how wide your barrel should be? That would be used as reference in mods for newbies to find out how wide there barrels should be. This would help everyone decide what they need in reference to the barrel size and not whine that there barrel sucks balls. All the modder would need to post would be the suggested barrel length and a link to the sticky for width. Why not?
Columbus' original crazy asshole now comes with:

AWESOME NITEFINDER

#13 General Cole

General Cole

• Banned
  • 868 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 05:36 AM

Im up for making the thread if it will get people off my back about my DS mod. God knows I need to be forgiven for that. But a standarized system of measurements. Its a good thing. I know people like Dark Shrimp, Piney, OMC, and Groove and all the seasoned nerfers will disagree. But they have the system where they know who they can hit with their gun at what range. But that is because they run with ONE weapon and stick to it. Groove has the Guru and the only time I have seen him use otherwise was in Armageddon 03 when he rushed two guys with a powerclip. But if you don't nerf with just one gun and are just making one of 15 secondaries for buddies, it could help because measuring everything helps. Hope no one got offended by that.
We should stop calling out/making fun of/pissing GC off. He's actually contributed and is available for trade. He's a better than average member no doubt. Got your back Cole.
-Nerfer34

You know what... I know it's kinda late... but Props Cole.
-Baghead

#14 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 07:38 PM

There are four main types of barrels.

From tightest to loosest with my foam.

Cpvc >>>>>>>>Need to twist darts in.
17/32"brass>>> Need to twist darts in but not as hard.
OMC's petg.>>> May need minimal twisting.
9/16" brass >>> No twisting required.
Shorty's Mamas snapper>>> You could throw a dart blindfolded backwards into it without hitting the sides.

It all comes down to what works best for you.
Keep in mind that not all mods work with all barrel materials.
My long shot can not be made with petg, without custom ordering 4 unique sizes of petg.
You wouldn't do a barrel replacement on a RF20 with Brass.
and so on...
I don't get my kicks out of you,
I don't feel the way I used to do.
I know its bad,
After what we had,
But I’m just not the angel you knew.

#15 angrscottishkid

angrscottishkid

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 07:57 PM

Just expeirment and see whats best for you. For some reason crayola (besides brass) just works best for me.

Angel, about that last barrel material, i hear it's pretty cheap, and not worth all the burning lol

spicy
In the words of colonel Sanders, I'm to drunk to chase this chicken.

#16 One Man Clan

One Man Clan

TOFTS

• Contributors
  • 2,170 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 08:14 PM

...Shorty's Mamas snapper>>> You could throw a dart blindfolded backwards into it without hitting the sides.

The old hot dog down a hallway. Don't see that one enough. Good call FA.
I hate you.

#17 Lynx

Lynx

• Members
  • 983 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 11:49 PM

Did anyone LOOK at my post? Will the people who consistently rock out our brains ... (OMC and the others) ... please just find the internal diameter of their barrel and divide it by the width of their foam? Post some numbers and lets put up a good sticky. It would solve a lot of newby problems, complaints and threads about their gun shooting three feet. Interal Diameter of Barrel/Width of Foam. Can you please put up your kind of gun too?

Also.....Binary Umbilical cords Mussel's Percolating

Edited by Lynx, 13 September 2007 - 11:50 PM.

Columbus' original crazy asshole now comes with:

AWESOME NITEFINDER

#18 sam

sam

• Members
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 10:15 AM

That is no where near worth it. Foam is very inconsistent. I could be three bags of the same brand FBR and get three different sizes. If you want to see a perfect fit, get some CDTSs and some 17/32" brass. FA_24's red foam and OMC's Petg also have a pretty good fit, at least for me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users