Longshot

PETG,Brass,etc.

1 reply to this topic

#1 six-five-two

six-five-two

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 11:47 PM

I have a question: why do some people replace the whole barrel of the longshot with PETG (that's about 12")? When I modded mine, I used 1/2" PETG then nested it in 1/2" SCH40. Why? Because I thought using 3" of PETG then nesting that in 1/2" SCH40 for the rest of the barrel would reduce barrel friction (hopefully increasing range) and making the accuracy further (guides the dart along the piping). Can someone tell me why nobody does this? I know there must be a reason!

#2 SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

• Members
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 11:53 PM

Spring guns like high-friction barrels, for the most part. Nested barrels work best in air guns, and to an extent in spring guns such as the Crossbow and Max Shot. The idea is that you want to be able to have the pressure from the air being compressed between the moving plunger head and the dart to be behind the dart for as long as possible without reducing efficiency. Otherwise, you have a shorter range with a lot of wasted air pressure. With a high-friction (a.k.a. "tight") barrel, this pressure has a longer time to build up before the dart will begin to move, and that's a good thing.

You could nest the barrels for anything, but I doubt it would help in this kind of case. If it does, post the increase in performance.

Edited by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA, 31 August 2007 - 11:54 PM.

The only commonly shared fate among us all is death. I turn to the shadows so that I may not be unfamiliar with hell's corridors when I arrive. - SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

Founder of the Shadow Militia.
Founder of Nightshade Laboratories and The Nightshade Armament Corporation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users