Firefly Won't Catch

Pics included

11 replies to this topic

#1 Smashkirby

Smashkirby

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 03:34 PM

I just finished removing the air restrictors and adding a toilet paper holder spring to my firefly. Problem is,even before i added the extra spring the firefly won't catch. When i pull the cocking handle the handle just snaps back in place and the springs go back to being uncompressed. Here are some pics. Please help me out.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Smashkirby, 29 August 2007 - 03:37 PM.

Quoting: My sister when she saw a picture of Groove.

"Daaaamn. That's one fine looking man"

Yeah. It was scary.

#2 SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

• Members
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 03:45 PM

Take out the plunger, line it up properly, and re-insert it. Due to the fact that there are twin tabs and slots in the plunger tube and spring perch, it is very easy for someone to accidentally place the plunger in with the catch groove facing downward. This is almost guaranteed to be the problem, but if it is not, try replacing the catch spring with a section from a pen. I hear Bic pens work well.
The only commonly shared fate among us all is death. I turn to the shadows so that I may not be unfamiliar with hell's corridors when I arrive. - SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

Founder of the Shadow Militia.
Founder of Nightshade Laboratories and The Nightshade Armament Corporation.

#3 the beast

the beast

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 03:46 PM

That happened to one of my Mavericks once. It ended up being the spring . I figured it out by a process of elimination. When i took out the spring and added the old one it worked perfectly. For your gun perhaps a stronger catch spring.

EDIT: SHA beat me to it. Hes probably right.

Edited by the beast, 29 August 2007 - 03:47 PM.

#4 Smashkirby

Smashkirby

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 04:20 PM

I don't quite understand what you mean SHA. There is a groove,but no matter if i put it downwards or upwards,it never catches. Can you please say that again with more detail?

Yeah. It was scary.

#5 SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

• Members
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 04:32 PM

The groove in the plunger rod, aka the blue prism that serves as the shaft that holds the spring and is attached to the plunger head, is for the catch. When the slide is pulled back, so is the plunger rod. Once this entire assembly has been drawn back so that the catch groove is underneath the catch (rectangular piece f blue plastic with one beveled edge and the square hole in the center), the catch spring (small black spring on the catch) forces the catch into the groove. This holds the plunger rod in place, even after the slide is returned to its original position. When the trigger is pulled back, the small tab on top of its engagement face (basically, this is the small orange tab that is sticking out of the top of the large orange piece that slides on the screw post, and is connected to the trigger) will force the catch upwards, causing it to disengage the plunger rod. The spring then forces the plunger forward as it decompresses. The moving volume of air that is displaced by the plunger is what forces the dart out of the turret.

What I'm trying to tell you about this is that the plunger rod should be oriented so that the flat side is facing down toward the bottom of the gun, and the groove is facing upwards. Otherwise, the catch has nothing to engage. If this is already the case, then reassemble the gun and pull back the slide. If you cannot pull it back fully, then you must remove or cut down the longer of the two springs. Or the one you added, if it happens to be shorter than the original spring. If this is not the case, then take a small spring, like those found in the tips of click pens, cut it to the proper length, and use it to replace or supplement the stock catch spring.

Edited by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA, 29 August 2007 - 04:33 PM.

The only commonly shared fate among us all is death. I turn to the shadows so that I may not be unfamiliar with hell's corridors when I arrive. - SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

#6 BustaNinja

BustaNinja

• Members
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 06:15 PM

The plunger shaft may be in upside down. I did this once so its not as stupid as iut sounds. I also had a similar problem because the plunger head broke off the shaft in the gun because it doesn't have a screw. (Or atleast mine didn't)
Me: Yeah. he beat a hooker
Venom: Haven't we all?

#7 SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

• Members
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 06:29 PM

The plunger shaft may be in upside down. I did this once so its not as stupid as iut sounds.

We've already established this as a viable reason. Also, if the plunger head broke, that still wouldn't explain the problem with the catch.

#8 BustaNinja

BustaNinja

• Members
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 07:20 PM

The plunger shaft may be in upside down. I did this once so its not as stupid as iut sounds.

We've already established this as a viable reason. Also, if the plunger head broke, that still wouldn't explain the problem with the catch.

Mine, when the plunger head broke didn't fully catch because it didn't have the force necesary to pull away so in a sense it didn't catch. It just stayed thier, not moving at all.

In my FF, the two pins need to go ahead of the cocking mech. I have never seen it directally ontop of it before, But if it,s meant to be this way then that could explain why mine is really bad.

#9 frost vectron

frost vectron

• Members
  • 526 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 07:48 PM

By searching "Firefly" in the modifications forum:

http://nerfhaven.com...wtopic=9036&hl=
Latest Modification: The Professional

"I am a leaf on the wind--watch how I soar" - Hoban "Wash" Washburne, Serenity.

#10 Smashkirby

Smashkirby

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 09:39 PM

YEAH! BustaNinja the pins were in the wrong location thanks for the help. Thanks for the help from everyone else too. On my attempts to fix the gun I broke part of the return rod and removed the extra spring. I will hopefully cpvc mod ,fix the rod, and add the spring again tomorrow because the ranges seem to only have increased by 5 feet (nothing compared to my previous one which unfortunately broke after a few shots due to the weak plastic). I should really get myself some stefans... ;)

Edited by Smashkirby, 29 August 2007 - 09:40 PM.

Yeah. It was scary.

#11 SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

• Members
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 10:10 PM

Be careful with CPVC. If the fit is too tight on your darts, it will reduce range because the pressure will build up behind the dart and have a longer chance to escape in between the plunger tube and the turret before the dart moves or leaves the barrel. If it's your only option, use it, but slightly looser materials are better.

#12 BustaNinja

BustaNinja

• Members
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 05:22 PM

Your welcome. I realized this when I looked at mine (which is in pieces in my basement) and pulled back the slide and saw that it will only catch if they two pins are ahead of the slide, otherwise its not enough space to go back. And as SHA said, be careful with CPVC. It gets really tight on alot of guns.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users