Sch. 80 Pvc

WTF?

4 replies to this topic

#1 Ragornocks

Ragornocks

• Members
  • 415 posts

Posted 03 October 2003 - 04:59 PM

What's the deal on this? A 1/2 nipple has a very comparable I/D to 9/16 brass. And it costs only about 50 cents for a foot long piece. I range tested it on my Max Shot, with a 12" 9/16 barrel and a 12" 1/2 sch. 80.

Brass

1. 69'
2. 72'
3. 80'

PVC

1. 56'
2. 75'
3. 79'

That's with a Max Shot. Why don't I see this more if it proves good? I doubt it is as good as brass, and I probably won't use it, but it can be found right in the PVC aisle for similiar results. So, what the fuck?
hug the fuck out of 'em, philippe!

#2 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 05 October 2003 - 01:14 AM

If it is exactly the same ID, the results shouldn't surprise you.

The only real advantage to brass is that you can get it in exactly the size you need. I'll take a look next time I'm at Home Despot and see if I can find what you're talking about.

The main problem I have with using PVC/CPVC/copper is that they're all made for plumbing and the ID is not standardized, the OD is. That said, if you happen to find a stock of PVC somewhere that fits your darts real well, buy a bunch!
<meta name="cxwq" content="mostly water">

#3 Ragornocks

Ragornocks

• Members
  • 415 posts

Posted 05 October 2003 - 05:18 PM

Yeah...I just stocked up today. The stuff I grabbed is used in sprinkler systems, I think. It doesn't come in all of the sizes of brass, or isn't produced to perfection, but for the price, hell, it'll stop the n00bs for a while with all of the "i n33d A bRaSsS" threads.
hug the fuck out of 'em, philippe!

#4 Formerly Sane

Formerly Sane

• Members
  • 210 posts

Posted 10 October 2003 - 07:51 PM

All I use is Sch. 80 PVC and crayola. The problem is the Sch 80 is $1 a foot at my home depot. How much is brass per foot anyway?
NERF: www.CYCLONENERF.netfirms.com
FLASH: www.thinkhappy.netfirms.com
BAND: www.skwalrock.com

#5 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 10 October 2003 - 11:29 PM

I don't know what you're buying but there's no way in hell Home Despot sells 1/2" SCH80 PVC pipe for a buck a foot. Are you buying the short, threaded pieces? You should be able to find 10' pieces of PVC for about a buck, 10' pieces of copper for about five bucks, and 1' pieces of brass (not at Home Despot though) for about two bucks.
<meta name="cxwq" content="mostly water">

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users