Buy Or Make Stefans?

Is it worth it?

13 replies to this topic

#1 DartToTheHead

DartToTheHead

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 August 2007 - 03:44 PM

I don't see myself needing too many stefans, but I still don't know whether it'd be more price efficient to make them.

On the same note, do we have any stefan sellers here? I didn't see any in trading or on ebay.

#2 Retiate

Retiate

• Members
  • 778 posts
  • State:Washington

Posted 25 August 2007 - 04:02 PM

Buying Stefans is so much more expensive than making them. It's like 6 or 7 cents a dart if you make them (and I'm talking about the high quality, high visibility red foam Forsaken_Angel24, with round, 3/0 splitshot weights and blue sparkled hotglue). People sell 50 darts on eBay for what, $15? That's 30 cents a dart, or like 5x the cost of making them. Plus, when you make them, you get to see what they fit in exactly, and you get to decide how much weight you want. You can customize them to fit your own guns, where with bought darts, you have to adjust your guns to fit those darts.

If you think you're only gonna need like 50 darts, then buying them should be fine. As long as you can adjust the fit if you need to, and you know how weighted the darts are.

#3 Prometheus

Prometheus

• Members
  • 780 posts

Posted 25 August 2007 - 04:50 PM

Buying Stefans is so much more expensive than making them. It's like 6 or 7 cents a dart if you make them (and I'm talking about the high quality, high visibility red foam Forsaken_Angel24, with round, 3/0 splitshot weights and blue sparkled hotglue). People sell 50 darts on eBay for what, $15? That's 30 cents a dart, or like 5x the cost of making them. Plus, when you make them, you get to see what they fit in exactly, and you get to decide how much weight you want. You can customize them to fit your own guns, where with bought darts, you have to adjust your guns to fit those darts.

If you think you're only gonna need like 50 darts, then buying them should be fine. As long as you can adjust the fit if you need to, and you know how weighted the darts are.

I'm working on making a huge batch of Mega Stefans (5/8" FBR). I'm still researching the optimal weights for that size. I am possibly selling some to a few other people, I could squeeze a few extra out for you if you wanted some. PM me for me info if you re interested.
QUOTE(VACC @ Jan 24 2008, 06:12 AM) View Post
I am NEVER going to sleep naked in the bed of a former child star ever again....seriously

#4 Shorty

Shorty

• Banned
  • 157 posts

Posted 25 August 2007 - 06:18 PM

Yeah but for someone, like myself, who dont have time or more importantly the experiance to make 100 stephans really wouldn mind spending money on them.
I love imports.
DarkShrimp is the next Piney.
"Ignorance can be fixed. Stupidity is forever."

#5 Carbon

Carbon

Contriberator

• Moderators
  • 1,893 posts
  • State:Wisconsin

Posted 25 August 2007 - 06:19 PM

The advantage of making your own is that you can be sure that they'll work well in your blaster, with your barrel material. That was something I found this summer, after SPANO...nobody's darts fit quite as well as my darts did in my own blasters. I don't think that anyone was picking up other people's darts and using them...no one else was finding a good fit with other people's darts as well. Just something else to take into consideration.
Hello. I am Indigo of the Rainbow Clan. You Nerfed my father. Prepare to die.

#6 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,471 posts

Posted 25 August 2007 - 07:18 PM

I don't understand how people sit around and make darts for profit. Get a freaking job already! Mcdonalds pays more then Stefans do. I think stefans should be made in china or a 3rd world country. Anyone want to put together a stefan sweatshop? Because that is exactly what it is like. On the other hand, I do like the fact that they are available to buy for some people who will get modified guns from a friend and not darts. I like my friends and will modify a gun for them but sit down and dedicate an hour or two so they have enough darts? Forget it. I think My friends will be ordering some darts for Hell Before Halloween.
I don't get my kicks out of you,
I don't feel the way I used to do.
I know its bad,
After what we had,
But Iím just not the angel you knew.

#7 DartToTheHead

DartToTheHead

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 August 2007 - 07:33 PM

The argument I see here is other people's stefans might not work as well in my gun...but I have no idea what I'm doing. Why would my stefans work well?

#8 SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

• Members
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 25 August 2007 - 07:37 PM

The argument I see here is other people's stefans might not work as well in my gun...but I have no idea what I'm doing. Why would my stefans work well?

You pick the size of foam and the barrel material that fit best in each other and use those, so you know that the darts from that foam will work best in whatever you're using. Other peoples' stefans may be too thick or thin to use effectively. You can also weight the darts according to the power of the gun you're shooting them from.

Also, if you don't practice making your own darts, you will never be any good at it. It's important for everyone who mods to also be able to create darts that work well with those modified guns. To quote an overly used phrase, "Practice makes perfect."

Edited by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA, 25 August 2007 - 07:40 PM.

The only commonly shared fate among us all is death. I turn to the shadows so that I may not be unfamiliar with hell's corridors when I arrive. - SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

Founder of the Shadow Militia.
Founder of Nightshade Laboratories and The Nightshade Armament Corporation.

#9 Griffin

Griffin

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 25 August 2007 - 07:38 PM

First off as someone new to nerfing and now dart making , its really not that difficult to do. I have been using FA's red FBR abd following his video on how to make darts. So far I think I have about 20 that are for gun testing etc but, not good for wars, the other 60 or more are really good quality and fly nice and straight. The thing about making darts it well its just time consuming and boring.

#10 shadowkid33

shadowkid33

• Members
  • 633 posts

Posted 26 August 2007 - 08:34 PM

If you plan to acctually Nerf, it's almost necissary to make darts, but...

The thing about making darts it well its just time consuming and boring.

that's the disadvantage. Also, you lose a lot, for example, I took just under 400 darts to Apoc with me. That's about...5 hours worth of dart making, mabye a bit more, and I came home with only 50.
how the heck do you make a double clip?

Here are the steps.
1. Go to the search button in the right corner of the screen
2. Click
3. Search double longshot clip.

i dont have time, jeez, im new here!

#11 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,471 posts

Posted 26 August 2007 - 09:25 PM

I listen to a movie or DJ shadows old stuff when I make darts.
I have no problem sitting down for a an hour or two making darts.
I brought about 300 darts to APOC and only came home with 50.
The red foam was very easy to see and find but I think somebody pocketed a good portion of them.
I don't get my kicks out of you,
I don't feel the way I used to do.
I know its bad,
After what we had,
But Iím just not the angel you knew.

#12 six-five-two

six-five-two

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 26 August 2007 - 09:38 PM

I listen to a movie or DJ shadows old stuff when I make darts.
I have no problem sitting down for a an hour or two making darts.
The red foam was very easy to see and find but I think somebody pocketed a good portion of them.

Holy crap, you listen to DJ Shadow? Listened to Endtroducing?!

#13 shadowkid33

shadowkid33

• Members
  • 633 posts

Posted 26 August 2007 - 09:49 PM

I feel the same way about someone pocketing some of my darts too. Speaking of which, I DID find one of your darts in my bag when I left(half of mine were grey and half red).

Sorry for getting off topic here though. I also should mention I think it is extremelly worth it to make darts, due to the cost and preformance. I have no problem siting down to make 'em either, I may add.
how the heck do you make a double clip?

Here are the steps.
1. Go to the search button in the right corner of the screen
2. Click
3. Search double longshot clip.

i dont have time, jeez, im new here!

#14 The Infinite Shindig

The Infinite Shindig

Arma-what-now?

• Contributors
  • 1,383 posts

Posted 26 August 2007 - 10:20 PM

There is enough documentation on this forum alone to give you an idea. Simply look in the stickies section of General Nerf and click on the topic that says "Dartsmithing Tips." A good part of this hobby is experimenting anyway.

Laziness is a factor here, and I will admit that I have bought darts from OMC at a war on more than two occasions, but I got back into making my old shitty darts once again. This is mostly because I want to be more responsible for my reliable piss poor performance at wars.
Shindig of the Lawn Chair Mafia

<a href="http://www.albinobla.../flash/posting" target="_blank">Posting and You</a>

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users