Titan Help!

Gun sucks with more pumps

11 replies to this topic

#1 KBarker

KBarker

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 06:19 PM

Yes, I looked at all the mod writeups and searched. So I just modded my new Titan just like ompa, basic AR removal, pump plug, and barrel. The barrel is 18" CPVC. It works fine up to about 15 pumps. If I pump it more, range goes down drastically. I know most people pump plugged Titans 25 pumps or so, right? I don't hear any air leaking while I pump it up, and when I fire it sounds like a big whoosh. Ideas?

Edited by KBarker, 22 August 2007 - 06:20 PM.

-KBarker

My Fighting Robots: http://www.TeamVelocityRobotics.com/

#2 nerfturtle

nerfturtle

• Members
  • 223 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 06:25 PM

Huh, the only thing that comes to mind would be the check valve. Maybe it can't hold much pressure, and when there is to much, it starts to leak out. I would try replacing it, and see if it is still happening.
The tough coughs as he ploughs the dough.
-Dr. Suess

#3 Guest_DarkInfection_*

Guest_DarkInfection_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 August 2007 - 07:01 PM

Maybe there is too much pressure, and the darts are fish-tailing. That would be my guess.

#4 watkins

watkins

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 09:46 PM

18" is way too short for a Titan barrel. Try more like 2 feet with CPVC. Mine is about that long and Im getting 180 feet with 20 pumps.

#5 SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

• Members
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 09:50 PM

Is the pressure tearing up your darts? Are the darts fishtailing? Is the barrel coming loose? Take it into a silent room, pump it more times than you know works (above the max that works well), and wait for a few minutes before firing it. Then try again with a number of pumps that you know works with your darts to see if there is a reduction in power or range.
The only commonly shared fate among us all is death. I turn to the shadows so that I may not be unfamiliar with hell's corridors when I arrive. - SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

Founder of the Shadow Militia.
Founder of Nightshade Laboratories and The Nightshade Armament Corporation.

#6 flamebo388

flamebo388

• Members
  • 277 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 10:04 PM

18" is fine for a titan barrel, I suspect it's your darts. What kind of weights are you using? I'd recomend 3/0 splitshot or 1/4" slingshot minimum, maybe something bigger even.
And as everyone knows, money makes the world go round. It's also the root of all evil, therefore the world going round is evil, and we should stop the rotation of the planet.

#7 KBarker

KBarker

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 11:40 PM

I doubt it's my darts, even though they are light (one BB) since they don't do anything weird out of the barrel. What's the check valve? Is it the valve that connects to the Hornet? Or maybe the pressure gauge?
-KBarker

#8 blister

blister

• Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 11:48 PM

The check valve is usually inside the pump, but never owning a Titan, I don't know. The check valve allows air in one way, and doesn't let it back out. It is crucial for a Nerf gun to work, as the pump won't pressurize the tank if the check valve doesn't work.

As for your problem, what are your ranges with 15 and above pumps? Is it drastically less?

Turtle brings up a valid point. At some point, the Titan may be too strong for the small amount of weight.

Edited by blister, 22 August 2007 - 11:51 PM.

Subvert the Dominant Paradigm.

#9 nerfturtle

nerfturtle

• Members
  • 223 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 11:49 PM

The check valve is the valve that lets air into the air tank via the pump but doesn't let it out, if it were defective it could probablly hold a certain pressure, but when it got too high it would start slowly leaking. You're only using one bb stefans? I thought you needed at least 2-3 to get them out of a titan.
The tough coughs as he ploughs the dough.
-Dr. Suess

#10 Thom

Thom

• Members
  • 759 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 12:44 AM

Titans can fire small- to mid-sized stefans, but I think they require a longer barrel to avoid fishtailing.

#11 Retiate

Retiate

• Members
  • 778 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 12:51 AM

I was thinking it might be the trigger, with the spring to pull back the valve. Then with more pressure, the spring can't open it as much, so the air is delivered slower and in smaller amounts... But the Titan has a really weird trigger system, so I don't think that's the problem at all.
The only other thing I can think of is the darts. 1 BB is really light, especially for that much power.

It can't be the check valve, that wouldn't cause a decrease is power. And it can't be a leak since more pumps would still increase power if it's always leaking.

I doubt it's the barrel either, I'm sure you'd notice if the darts were spinning out.

#12 KBarker

KBarker

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 02:38 AM

It's really kinda weird. It's like 15 pumps is OK, and then 16 it goes like half as far. I'll crack it open tomorrow and see if I can find anything screwy.
-KBarker

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users