Photo

Nerf Artillery.

43 replies to this topic

#1 bored kid93

bored kid93

• Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 05:22 PM

I've been thinking about this concept for a while now, and I've believe I have an idea that may allow a large ball valve gun to more launch darts at higher velocity at higher trajectory, which in effect, will act as a kind of Nerf mortar. My next product will be called Nebelwerfer (fog thrower) , named after the WWII missile launcher used by germany ( Don't worry, I hate nazis too. ). Reason for the name is because of the way it will fire. Instead of using just compressed air, it will use water as a type of wadding, the reason behind it is that it will amplify the force and, make a nice smoke effect. To prevent the darts from becoming soggy, I'm gonna use a tube of 1/2 in. pvc to hold around 5 darts, which will be sealed by pieces of ZipLock bag melted to the ends of the tube. The powerful jet of water will puncture the seal, which will make the darts a little wet, but by the time they are traveling through the barrel, all the water will be mist. (I have tested the water part already. ) I chose Nebelwerfer because it fits it so well, and the water makes a weird noise like the original nebelwerfer.
I'm going to pull out this line: "Speculation is a waste of time. Just wait and see what comes of this. If anything." - Captain Slug.
Captain Slug, I couldn't have said it better.

#2 telekinetic

telekinetic

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 05:24 PM

Sounds like an interesting Concept. I'd love to see the finished product.
Frylock is telekinetic, right?

#3 Zaxbys

Zaxbys

Groove's Protégé

• Members
  • 510 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 05:29 PM

This concept sounds like you know the basics of how it would "in theory" work. I'm loking forward to to seeing the finished product.

But not to sound skeptical but besides the "cool factor" what purpose does this weapon serve on the battlefield. Mortars are very inacurate, so the chance of you actually hitting someone on the battlefield are very slim.
"Bitces be crazy"

"Hey girl... you like water sports?"

~Groove 6/26/09

#4 SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

• Members
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 05:45 PM

This concept sounds like you know the basics of how it would "in theory" work. I'm loking forward to to seeing the finished product.

But not to sound skeptical but besides the "cool factor" what purpose does this weapon serve on the battlefield. Mortars are very inacurate, so the chance of you actually hitting someone on the battlefield are very slim.

It could be used in Assault and Civil War matches with varying degrees of efficiency.

The idea in itself is very unique, but is the 1/2" PVC the only barrel? The original Nebelwerfer had six. At least use a sabot and a larger-diameter barrel for a better spread and a greater number of darts in the air per load, as this will not be easy to prep during battles.
The only commonly shared fate among us all is death. I turn to the shadows so that I may not be unfamiliar with hell's corridors when I arrive. - SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

Founder of the Shadow Militia.
Founder of Nightshade Laboratories and The Nightshade Armament Corporation.

#5 Carbon

Carbon

Contriberator

• Moderators
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 05:54 PM

Nerf ammo has the disadvantage of being light and slow. You can dodge a dart fired directly at you, so five darts fired at a high trajectory don't stand much of a chance coming down anywhere near where you expected, much less hitting anything. I would think that you'd want to get a lot of foam in the air to make it worth your while.

That being said, I'm always interested in new ways to chuck foam...looking forward to seeing a finished piece.
Hello. I am Indigo of the Rainbow Clan. You Nerfed my father. Prepare to die.

#6 Prometheus

Prometheus

• Members
  • 780 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 06:17 PM

Foam doesn't get soggy. It is made from hydrocarbons, which are hydrophobic. They will not absorb water at all. Try to make plastic wet. Foam is very similar to plastic.
QUOTE(VACC @ Jan 24 2008, 06:12 AM) View Post
I am NEVER going to sleep naked in the bed of a former child star ever again....seriously

#7 telekinetic

telekinetic

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 06:32 PM

I would think that you'd want to get a lot of foam in the air to make it worth your while.

That being said, I'm always interested in new ways to chuck foam...looking forward to seeing a finished piece.

Yes. 5 darts = inaccurate shotgun.

50 to 500 darts = holy craaaaaaaaaaaap

#8 zaphodB

zaphodB

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 07:15 PM

Hell, if you're making artillary, how about a five or six barreled huge gun that shoots nerf footballs. shove five down each barrel and you have yourself a party. A loud, big, and potentially pain inflicing party, but a party all the same.

now that I think about it, the best parties are loud, big, and potentially pain inflicing. Somebody should get on this.
Alice came to the fork in the road.
"Which road do I take?" she asked.
"Where do you want to go?" responded the Cheshire cat.
"I don't know," Alice answered.
"Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."

#9 Maeric

Maeric

• Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 07:24 PM

Nerf is not meant to harm people come on. But I do like the football idea...

Now. Since we are talking high volume single fire weapons... If you took 7 24" barrels and made them in a hexagon shape (you know what im talking about, kind of like revolving turrets, revolvers, whatever they're called.) and stuffed each barrel with 10-12 darts, and used a large PVC air-tank... then yeah that might just work because then you have 70-84 darts in a huge spread at a distance. Killer....
Active on H3Artificer as Halacar. GT: Halacar send me an invite if you wanna forge.
I'm amazing at Forza3! I destroyed the engine of a 2mil C car by downshifting! YAY!
I hate you. And all noobs who are like "OMFG i r liek, glued sh1t 2 shit. jak offf ma ego. NAOW!"

#10 SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

• Members
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 07:48 PM

You could also make one that fires arrows, mortars (from the Max Shot), and rockets (from the Big Blast and LBB) so you finally have a use for those besides mongo stefans. Six arrows come with one BBB, so you could build yourself an SSM launcher and stick it aiming at the flag in a CTF game for shits and giggles.
The only commonly shared fate among us all is death. I turn to the shadows so that I may not be unfamiliar with hell's corridors when I arrive. - SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

#11 nerfturtle

nerfturtle

• Members
  • 223 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 08:31 PM

I can see it now, a cloud of assorted arrows\missiles, floating gently in your direction. Or you could just have one 2"-4" ID barrel and just dump some stefans in. Wouldn't be so air efficient, but if it will have as massive as an air output as you say, it wouldn't really matter.
The tough coughs as he ploughs the dough.
-Dr. Suess

#12 Zaxbys

Zaxbys

Groove's Protégé

• Members
  • 510 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 08:43 PM

Posted Image

This is what I was thinking.

I was thinking you might do three large barrels with several smaller barrels inside of it.

Or

Do a "shells" approach like Gengar did in this mod:

http://www.nerfhq.co...hp?topic=5949.0

It would increase the ROF, and I think funtion well.

What do you think?
"Bitces be crazy"

"Hey girl... you like water sports?"

~Groove 6/26/09

#13 telekinetic

telekinetic

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 08:52 PM

I think that unless you're launching more than 50 stefans, it's hella overkill for a big shotgun.

#14 Thom

Thom

• Members
  • 759 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 01:01 AM

I like the idea of Nerf footballs. I'm sure you could get excellent range and accuracy, although it would require a floor pump.

#15 Lynx

Lynx

• Members
  • 983 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 12:21 PM

I bet if you use modded mav clips to launch them it could work effectively as a breach loader thing.

The idea is have the maverick clips so the clip stays in the barrel and the darts launch. If you have a bunch of mavericks laying around, using that as a shell/clip could work for you.

The whole thing could work as a floor pump attached to an air tank to fire it like a breech Howitzer.

I think that would be a LOT easier to do and effective as a heavy weapon mounted to the ground or with a air tank backpack to have a crazy powerful shotgun.

If you wanted to use it as a artillery cannon, footballs seem okay but not painful unless you stand RIGHT in front of it. You should use 3 turrets if you are using footballs but the problem with an indirect weapon like an artillery is the fact that it is SO rigged if you use more than say...20 darts or 3 footballs. I think you should have a crazy portable heavy weapon like a shotgun that reloads VERY fast. Shoot, open breech, take out clip, load new clip, close breech and SHOOT. That can be VERY fast with an air tank and as an artillery weapon. You can mount 3 of them have two people loading and firing all while using a pump but that would be a BIT crazy.

Hey, if you mount them you might have a use for old longshot bi pods!

Edited by Lynx, 23 August 2007 - 12:37 PM.

Columbus' original crazy asshole now comes with:

AWESOME NITEFINDER

#16 theschief

theschief

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 02:25 PM

Its an interesting concept but has little application for actual nerf games. With a football, it would simply be too easy to avoid. The only way it could be useful is for taking down some sort of barrier. (A mobstical?... Wouldn't it be great to be hiding behind one when a nerf football comes at it a high speeds?)

So the best idea that other people have given is packing a ton of darts into the area of a nerf football, to act like grapeshot. This should probably be pursued. But good luck with your cannon!
nerfer34
Your account will not be functional until June 23, 20007 9:59 AM (depending on your timezone). This is an automated process and you do not need to do anything to expediate the unsuspension process.

+ Silver BBB
+ Ball Blaster and Buzzsaw......

#17 Cennipe

Cennipe

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 03:51 PM

The problem with using those pocket vortex nerf footballs is that they don't fit in anything cheap enough to use. The smallest pvc they will fit in is 2 inch, and that leaves an 8th inch gap (don't think that is good enough). The thing that would work perfit is 2 inch copper, but that is $150 per 10 feet. You would also have to ramrod it, plus three feet of copper weighs way too much. I actually took a football down to Lowes and tried it. The problem with the full size foot balls is that they are bumpy. I had an idea for a mortar and a rocket launcher a while back. Just no good pipe cheap enough, or light enough.
"Man, a being in search of meaning" Pluto

My user name is pronounced "eat shit." I know that losing is looked down apon in nerf, but, what ever.

#18 angrscottishkid

angrscottishkid

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 04:17 PM

you should cut off part of the football and put the bottom half in the barrel, then put the darts on top of that and ram it down, thats how we make cannon rounds in paintball. or cut the bottom out of plastic cups fill it with darts and make that your shell

Edited by angrscottishkid, 23 August 2007 - 04:18 PM.

In the words of colonel Sanders, I'm to drunk to chase this chicken.

#19 Guest_yourface_*

Guest_yourface_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 August 2007 - 05:02 PM

Reasons I dislike this topic:

1. It's a concept thread.
2. Mortaring is nearly impossible, at least with Titan missiles.
3. I think homemades defeat the purpose of Nerf.

But hey, I'll be impressed if this gets made. It'll be cool, whether or not it's Nerf. And Lynx, there is a very good use for the Longshot bipods - if you leave one down, it makes an excellent foregrip.

#20 nerfturtle

nerfturtle

• Members
  • 223 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 06:04 PM

Sure it's a concept thread, but those are only really bad if the poster has NO IDEA what they are talking abot. I think the BoredKid might actually pursue this, so we are putting our ideas into the pot. I don't think he really wants to "mortar" with it, I think he just wants a high powered war cannon with which he can shoot a cloud of shots with. Defeat the purpose of nerf? The purpose of nerf is having fun shooting each other, a homemade is just like a modified nerf blaster in the case that you can shoot people with it and have the same limitations that a modified blaster would. On topic, one thing you could would be to have a giant foam sabot, and then just shovel darts in after that.
-Dr. Suess

#21 Lynx

Lynx

• Members
  • 983 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 07:41 PM

So nobody likes the idea of maybe having the maverick clips as a shotgun because i might do it when I'm older. Having a football sabot might work but then you would use SO MANY darts while having little to no control over it. I like my idea because having a portable heavy weapon that CAN be mounted onto something seems good. Like a mounted shotgun or something like that. And you would be able to do it without 10 months of work!!!
Columbus' original crazy asshole now comes with:

AWESOME NITEFINDER

#22 nerfturtle

nerfturtle

• Members
  • 223 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 08:14 PM

Did anybody understand that?
-Dr. Suess

#23 SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

• Members
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 08:28 PM

Actually, a tightly-packed wad made out of an old T-shirt might do well to create a seal behind the darts, since there isn't the possibility of high-velocity plastic (cups) or the waste of a football (even a Nerf one). Might I also suggest a 2 1/4" or 2 1/2" diameter PVC barrel, because that can also be used to launch stock mortars from the Big Blast and LBB when you run out of darts.

3. I think homemades defeat the purpose of Nerf.

Carbon? boltsniper? ompa? Any takers on this one?

#24 Retiate

Retiate

• Members
  • 778 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 08:55 PM

Actually, I like Lynx's idea. I don't know what maverick turrets fit in, but that would make 6 shots in 1 barrel. Plus that takes out a good chunk of time out of the building process, since you don't have to custom fit the barrels in the large diameter pipe. And it can be extremely cheap, just go to the Goodwill or a garage sale and pick up a Maverick for like $1.
Personally, I'd do the Maverick turret idea, and make 5 or 6 barrels, and stick a bi pod on the front, so it's angled upward. That'd be 30-36 darts lobbed into the air, raining down into a large area. Sure, it's not very practical almost all the time. But I think it'd be way fun to give it to the offending team on a "Defend the Base" game. It'd take quite a bit of practice to get a feel for how far the darts fly though.

#25 Guest_yourface_*

Guest_yourface_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 August 2007 - 09:08 PM

SHA, I'm not saying that I disrespect their work, I just don't think it's Nerf. To me, Nerf is modifying toy guns and shooting people with them. If you make your own guns, the magic of owning people with former POSes is gone. Obviously, this is just an opinion, but it's how I look at things.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users