Photo

Brass Pop-safety Valves

9 replies to this topic

#1 mini

mini

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 06:49 PM

Ok so iv been thinking about the magstrike/ all of nerfs autos and trying to think how i could replicate it in some sort of home made. I was searching though the vast catalogue of mc master and i stumbled apon Brass Pop-Safety Valves, as near as i can figure they are roughly what its used in the magstrike. Any who im just wondering if anyone has discovered them or used them in any homemades. I have some rough plans for for some sort of semi auto but i really haven't put any effort into it havening just got back from vacation. Oh right and the one i was thinking of ordering is part # 4772K68

#2 Prometheus

Prometheus

• Members
  • 780 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 07:02 PM

Did you happen to look at the price tag? A little expensive for a homemade. Also, we can get valves, it's the auto/semi-auto advancing system we need to improve.
QUOTE(VACC @ Jan 24 2008, 06:12 AM) View Post
I am NEVER going to sleep naked in the bed of a former child star ever again....seriously

#3 Senor Wolfwood

Senor Wolfwood

• Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 09:26 PM

Well, I designed a larger more powerful piston like that of the PC and Magstrike a while back, but my wallet was stolen the day I went to get the parts, so it was never done, because the parts list and the rough design I had made were both in there with my $20. Never got around to redesigning it though.
QUOTE(Forsaken_angel24 @ Oct 23 2007, 12:13 AM) View Post

Dumbest rule ever.
There are better ways of getting a womans clothes off.

I hate ipods and most of their owners.

AKA: Earle_The_Magnificent

#4 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 09:41 PM

No that's not really what magstrike does. The closest thing I can compare the mechanism to is a mix of an air-cylinder and a regulator. Where-in the spring load of the mechanism is specifically designed to reach a certain pressure load at the end of the stroke and then vent that pressure before spring-returning to the original position.

A pop safety valve doesn't actuate anything by pressure except for the exhaust valve.
The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#5 Prometheus

Prometheus

• Members
  • 780 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 10:09 PM

A pop safety valve doesn't actuate anything by pressure except for the exhaust valve.

I think he meant the threaded one, for use as a trigger.
I am NEVER going to sleep naked in the bed of a former child star ever again....seriously

#6 mini

mini

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 10:13 PM

yes im aware of that, i was planning to build the rest of the magstikes setup using telescoping brass some spings and a few strips of brass. im not to sure if this setup will work but im thinking i might order one just on spec. what would you suggest the pressure should be set to?

yes im aware of that, i was planning to build the rest of the magstikes setup using telescoping brass some spings and a few strips of brass. So basically i was going to build the air cylinder part out of brass. im not to sure if this setup will work but im thinking i might order one just on spec. what would you suggest the pressure should be set to?

#7 Prometheus

Prometheus

• Members
  • 780 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 10:15 PM

yes im aware of that, i was planning to build the rest of the magstikes setup using telescoping brass some spings and a few strips of brass. im not to sure if this setup will work but im thinking i might order one just on spec. what would you suggest the pressure should be set to?

yes im aware of that, i was planning to build the rest of the magstikes setup using telescoping brass some spings and a few strips of brass. So basically i was going to build the air cylinder part out of brass. im not to sure if this setup will work but im thinking i might order one just on spec. what would you suggest the pressure should be set to?

What are you hoping to gain from all this? Why not heavily mod a magstrike to meet your demands?

#8 mini

mini

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 10:24 PM

What are you hoping to gain from all this? Why not heavily mod a magstrike to meet your demands?

What do i hope to get out of all of this? In the end i hope to have a semi auto homemade/ semi auto longshot. i plan to you the to have the (air piston) control the angle breach in the end. This goal is very far away considering i have almost none of the pasts and a very rough plan.

Edited by mini, 21 August 2007 - 10:40 PM.

#9 Senor Wolfwood

Senor Wolfwood

• Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 05:55 AM

What do i hope to get out of all of this? In the end i hope to have a semi auto homemade/ semi auto longshot. i plan to you the to have the (air piston) control the angle breach in the end. This goal is very far away considering i have almost none of the pasts and a very rough plan.

Holy crap. that made no sense whatsoever. Are you all jacked up on Mountain Dew?
QUOTE(Forsaken_angel24 @ Oct 23 2007, 12:13 AM) View Post

Dumbest rule ever.
There are better ways of getting a womans clothes off.

I hate ipods and most of their owners.

AKA: Earle_The_Magnificent

#10 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 08:11 AM

In the end i hope to have a semi auto homemade/ semi auto longshot.

Then you're going about this in entirely the wrong way. You can't make a semi-auto longshot without replacing pretty much every part in the gun, excluding only the magazine which is the only part that's not going to be fragile enough to cause the gun to break from the amount of pneumatic force involved.

And a pop-safety valve is not going to actuate the amount of distance required to do anything. You need more than 3-1/2" of stroke to operate the longshot breech.

It's fairly obvious you have no idea how to accomplish this. I know quite well because I'm working on it myself.
http://nerfhaven.com...?showtopic=6598
The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users