Photo

Is Cpvc Really Good For Anything?

6 replies to this topic

#1 spectralynx

spectralynx

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 September 2003 - 04:02 PM

hey, first post on the new site. I was "rogueleader" on nerfonline... had about 3 posts... anyway, a while back i got fed up trying to make darts for a 1/2 inch diameter 40-schedule PVC barrel, so i got smaller-diameter CPVC and bought some 3/8 inch foam cord to experiment with. I had to invent a new breach loading system (new as far as I know) and new darts. I have to use plastic beads for dart weights, since my parents won't let me use lead weights or anything like that. They actually work OK though... I CPVC'd my BBB and Splitfire... both are so-so... also, with the 3/8 inch foam, you don't get a good seal with the barrel, so i had to use the glue gun to make a small hole in the dart for the plastic bead. The hole is smaller than the bead, so if you force it in, it will widen the dart and give it a better seal with the barrel. less air escapes around the dart, and, it seems, you get more power. I add some extra weight to the darts by coating the tips in hot glue. it does seem to increase their range. so... what i'd like to know is... is CPVC really any good? i've had fairly decent results, but not great... anybody have any feedback or advice? i'll try to put up a picture of the breech-loading system on the BBB...

i made a lot of mods to my BBB... 3/8 inch ammo holders made from tic-tac box lids, a rifle-style blade sight (like iron sights, not a scope) made from two soda can flip-top lids and part of a nail, and a removable stock made from 40-sch. PVC pipe

i'll try to get a picture up when i have time

#2 THIRST

THIRST

• Members
  • 1,099 posts

Posted 23 September 2003 - 04:12 PM

3/8 inch i CPVC? You can use 1/2 inch balker rod in 1/2 inch CPVC, the seal is going to be really tight, but it will work. Lots of people use CPVC. The reason you wont get great results is most likely your dart. If you still dont like CPVC, then use PVC, and use a crayola barrel. It will give it a really good seal and increase ranges and velocity alot, alot of my guns are crayolas nested inside PVC...
ko

#3 WebbZter

WebbZter

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 23 September 2003 - 05:05 PM

Are you sure you are using the right diameter backer rod for the barrel?

Barrel Type------------->Foam Backer Rod Diameter

1/2" Sched 40 PVC----->5/8" Foam Backer Rod

1/2" CPVC--------------->1/2" Foam Backer Rod

9/16" or 17/32" Brass-->1/2" Foam Backer Rod

PETG Tubing------------->1/2" Foam Backer Rod

#4 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 23 September 2003 - 06:30 PM

Are you sure you are using the right diameter backer rod for the barrel?

While useful, that chart is tricky.

If your FBR is *exactly* .5 inch, 9/16" brass fits it somewhat loosely, (my) PETG fits it a bit tightly, 17/32" brass fits it a little more tightly, and CPVC fits it very tightly.

The problem is that it's damn near impossible to find FBR that's really 1/2". It will, in fact, vary from purchase to purchase even with the same manufacturer. CPVC and PETG fall into the same category since there is no standard specification for inner diameter on these kinds of tubing. Brass is the only material that is manufactured to extremely close tolerances on ID.

My suggestion has always been to buy a whole buttload of FBR, take a piece to a good hardware store (Ace, OSH, Lowes) and find the material that provides the fit you desire for your particular application.
<meta name="cxwq" content="mostly water">

#5 spectralynx

spectralynx

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 September 2003 - 08:26 PM

i gotta see what other kinds of pipe i can buy... and like i said i found a way to adjust the 3/8 in FBR for a CPVC barrel... on this pipe, the internal diameter is less than 1/2 inch (closer to 7/16), so it's easier. i make a hole in the dart that's smaller than the bead I use for a weight, and when i force the bead in, the foam stretches outward, giving the dart a larger diameter and, if i do it right, a tight fit in the barrel. it's hard to get it exactly right, so the range and accuracy can be inconsistent... i need to try new pipes and new dart-making ideas... also the beads are very light and probably don't get as much momentum as lead weights...

maybe the crayola barrel... might have some old markers

#6 TualatinNerfer

TualatinNerfer

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 28 September 2003 - 02:03 PM

i use cpvc for shooting stefan magas. IT is smooth.

Take your darts to homedepot or any hardware store, and see which barrel material fits your darts the best.

#7 Black Scout

Black Scout

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 30 September 2003 - 11:44 AM

I usually take a half inch drill bit and drill my cpvc out. It takes a hell of a long time and it is really hard to get it smooth but if you do it alot you get good at it. Also, i try to make cigar darts for larger diameter brass barrels. They're just darts with electrical tape wrapped around the end. This gives it a better seal with the barrel. You have to wrap it more than a few times though.
Sometimes when I'm in my bedroom, and I'm under my covers and I'm all alone............I like to read comic books.

Nerf World Order Clan Website

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users