August 21, 2007

12 replies to this topic

#1 el swifto

el swifto

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 01:33 PM

I just noticed something recently.

Today, while looking through the top 10 overalll posters, I noticed that at least half of the members have not done anything or contributed ( as in no posts) . Whats up with that?

I mean, whats the point of signing up if you're not going to do anything with it? Does it make you seem cooler or more of a nerfer?

You dont even need an account to look at all the content.

I personally think that if you have an account you should actually use it.

I know its not place to judge things like this, but it makes no sense at all.

Swifto out.

#2 SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

• Members
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 02:21 PM

Some of them browse through the threads for up to a year before making their first post, or some may have just joined as a spur-of-the-moment action and nothing else, and then gotten out of Nerf. Even if they don't post, they're still not causing any trouble. It's their choice to sign up.
The only commonly shared fate among us all is death. I turn to the shadows so that I may not be unfamiliar with hell's corridors when I arrive. - SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

Founder of the Shadow Militia.
Founder of Nightshade Laboratories and The Nightshade Armament Corporation.

#3 Quilan Fett

Quilan Fett

• Members
  • 678 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 02:21 PM

I think those people might not be validated yet.
SNAP Shotgun

This guy can see the future!

QUOTE(pokemaster @ Mar 3 2009, 04:18 PM) View Post

hasbro in a nerf war!!!!! dude the will cancel it and confinscate are guns

#4 el swifto

el swifto

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 02:29 PM

I think those people might not be validated yet.

I checked.

If you put 50 per page, theres only about 1 page.

Oh, and alpha?

You're probably comepletely correct.

I guess I was just trying to encourage them to actually DO something.

#5 nerfturtle

nerfturtle

• Members
  • 223 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 06:17 PM

Well, this is ironic isn't it.
The tough coughs as he ploughs the dough.
-Dr. Suess

#6 Rambo

Rambo

Fear the Robble...

• Members
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 07:49 PM

Merely because they are validated doesn't mean they're aware I think. I think you're 'validated' once the admins accept your membership, not when you click the link to confirm it. Someone could have changed email addresses in the long period of validation, etc.

#7 Pineapple

Pineapple

Old-school Admin

• Contributors
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 09:08 PM

As Shindig said in a post awhile back, "Some of those are my favorite members."

They just browse. They just look and get information, and ONCE IN A WHILE, they ask a fairly intelligent question regarding Nerfing, and modifying blasters.

It's usually the several in the "Daily Top 10" who got there because they really have nothing better to do than to ask idle questions that a minute or two of searching could have answered, come up with harebrained ideas that they know they would never do, but throw them up as a "concept", or simply want the attention they don't get at home from Mom and Dad, girlfriend, boyfriend (for those who swing that way), dog, cat, or whatever.

In the 56 months that I've been a NerfHaven member, I've joined many more discussion forums, most of them frequented by older members. As decent a read as this forum is, it will always be somewhat tainted by young ones who 1) Lie about their age so as to appear valid to join under the current Terms of Service; 2) Reveal such age in the immature content and form of their posts; and 3) Eventually get suspended, or just get tired of acting like a total brat online and leave.

It's part of being a member of a forum that deals with plastic toy guns.

There's a distinct difference between a member who "contributes" (as in modifications, ammunition fabrication, homemades, or war hosting), and someone who contributes to the clutter on the forum by way of fairly insignificant post content (as in "wow!", or "That's cool!", or the ever-so-famous, "I win."

I prefer to let potential members sit in the validation queue for a while; you know, see if they are really serious about their NH membership. The other forums validate almost immediately, so they can go get their post fix over there. That, and filtering out the spambots that hit NH is a daunting task.

-Piney-
-Piney- of White Dog Hobbies Armory

<!--quoteo(post=209846:date=Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM:name=boom)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(boom @ Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM) View Post</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
It's to bad you live in hawaii I bet there are not many wars there.Wait what am I saying<b> you live in hawaii you lucky bastard.</b>
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#8 telekinetic

telekinetic

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 12:23 AM

That, and filtering out the spambots that hit NH is a daunting task.

-Piney-

But, why is it important to filter out spambots? It's not like they disrupt a forum that much...just look at tinhnerf.com! http://www.tinhnerf....ewforum.php?f=3 (warning: Not Safe For Work text) :rolleyes:

/sarcasm
Frylock is telekinetic, right?

#9 keef

keef

• Members
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 10:00 AM

cxwq- Founder, hes nice and a pretty good nerfer I presume
ompa- post whore, he keeps people in line and makes a lot of mods
CaptainSlug- Do I need to explain?
RAMBO- Ummmm... Strike one 1
One Man Clan- He eats children, like your little brother, and hes funny and keeps the noobs in line if not banned
Talio- Not sure, but
NerfMonkey- Did a couple mods, pretty nice, and he posts a lot.
ItalionStallion- Fuck I don't know... Has a shitload of guns? From what I've read he steals guns or something?
The Infinite Shindig- Dig shindig, hes a moderator, he Nerfs/ Boffs (sp), and hes a moderator.
Forsaken_angel24- Read CS's despcription.

I mean, correct me if I'm wrong on any of these, but from reading the first page from people's thread history racks up a bunch of shit! I mean, last night I read about Howard, and the LCM combo. Go through Howards posts, half of them are hilarious and Shindig sounds like he is going to bash his face in or something. But thats besides the point.

See? Everyone on the Overall posters contributed a shitload, or not so much but still did more than you, and me.
Timothy M-Lick <3

#10 PharaonArin

PharaonArin

• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 10:57 AM

I'm not a very serious modder.

You even said it your self. Just because I dont post about some lucky way "i found a new titan dart that fits on the wrong barreling material" you think that make me less of a member? Use the right material and you wont have to find some bootlegged way to make your toy shoot. I dont post much. I came to see what people like Piney and FA24 can do. I didnt come to listen to you talk about how some people post and others dont.

Edited by PharaonArin, 22 August 2007 - 11:00 AM.

#11 Pineapple

Pineapple

Old-school Admin

• Contributors
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 11:02 AM

You know what?

You young people have WAAAY too much free time on your hands, to go through the whole membership list of NerfHaven.

Most of the productive NerfHaven members are Nerfers, not forum junkies who Nerf.

I honestly think that some of you think that the NerfHaven forum is actually more important than GETTING OUT AND NERFING.

But I understand. NerfHaven is the ONLY Nerf forum you really need, right? The others are merely imitators :rolleyes:

-Piney-
-Piney- of White Dog Hobbies Armory

<!--quoteo(post=209846:date=Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM:name=boom)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(boom @ Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM) View Post</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
It's to bad you live in hawaii I bet there are not many wars there.Wait what am I saying<b> you live in hawaii you lucky bastard.</b>
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#12 The Infinite Shindig

The Infinite Shindig

Arma-what-now?

• Contributors
  • 1,383 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 03:59 PM

I mean, correct me if I'm wrong on any of these, but from reading the first page from people's thread history racks up a bunch of shit! I mean, last night I read about Howard, and the LCM combo. Go through Howards posts, half of them are hilarious and Shindig sounds like he is going to bash his face in or something. But thats besides the point.

1. I didn't quote it, but I don't boff. Not my thing.

2. I can't believe you read that far back into LCM history...
Shindig of the Lawn Chair Mafia

<a href="http://www.albinobla.../flash/posting" target="_blank">Posting and You</a>

#13 LordoftheRing434

LordoftheRing434

• Members
  • 565 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 09:11 PM

I win! I almost forgot about that one.. :lol:

There's really two types of Nerfers in the NIC. The first uses NH and other sites as resources to fuel their passion for Nerf. They search for, and introduce new ideas. Their posts are relevant and worthwhile, with thought-out comments and questions instead of the oh so common "That's SOOOO cool! You're AMAZING!" or "Does anybody here know how to mod a Maverick?" They don't necessarily post often either. I've been here for 3 years (aside from former memberships at NerfCenter and NerfOnline) and I already see recent members shooting past my post count. Some contribute and sadly, most of them don't.

Which leads into the other type of NIC member. They are to the NIC as barnacles are to an old wooden ship. They ride the forums, encrusting them with mostly pointless posts. Many try to whore as many posts as possible. It's just a number. It isn't a statement unless you've made something worthwhile. It gets old to see a member come along and post 14 times in a day every once in a while. Their voices do not need to be heard in every thread.

So now you are left with a choice. Do you become a barnacle, or are you a wooden plank, forming the great vessel that is the NIC?

~Rings
And when he gets to Heaven, to St. Peter he will tell, "One more soldier reporting sir, I've served my time in hell."

"I bluff it. I don't throw my weight around and say I know what I'm doing." ~ Mick Jagger

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users