Somewhat of a semi-automatic

7 replies to this topic

#1 NerfVet

NerfVet

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 10:30 AM

Sorry for not including pictures, but here it goes:

I modded my Nite finder, with a mod of my own, trying to make it shoot mega stefans. (which it does) I can get maximum distances of about 50'-56'. I took all air restrictors out except for the one that goes over the plunger tube. I then used electrical tape and taped on a 7/8 inch diameter H/C Pex tube onto the gun. The tubing ended up being 6 and a half inches long. I then used more tape to secure the barrel so it wouldn't go out of place. The gun shot well and was very accurate. The only downside is that I had to load the stefans so that the tip was right at the tip of the barrel. A couple days ago, I accidentally pushed it to the bottom of the barrel and forgot about the dart, I then loaded a second and fired it. I soon noticed the next dart became convieniently placed at the end of the barrel allowing me another shot only by cocking it again. I can shoot up to three darts consecutively. I will try to get pictures.

#2 keef

keef

• Members
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 10:36 AM

Its been done before.
But you will get a decrease in range with that (just a little though), and you might want to glue the barrel on.

If you want better ROF add a 1/2 PVC coupler, and 1/2 PVC barrels reloaded and ready.
Timothy M-Lick <3

#3 NerfVet

NerfVet

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 10:42 AM

Well I wasn't sure if it had, I was pretty surprised when it happened and its a pretty simple mod. I thought it might be helpful. It works so well and every shot is accurate.

#4 keef

keef

• Members
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 10:45 AM

If you weren't sure, then why didn't you search?
Timothy M-Lick <3

#5 NerfVet

NerfVet

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 10:47 AM

I did, but nothing came up, and the only thing I have seen that is a semi-auto nite finder had a large clip on the front with petg barrels.

#6 SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

• Members
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 10:51 AM

You're going to lose a little bit of range, and your barrel is a bit long, but for what you have discovered it might be worth it in some situations. This is similar to the in-line clip so many people have been talking about recently, although this uses a stright barrel with no larger section of tubing. Just wondering about how well this works (consistent one-shots, occasional double-shot, or what? When the plunger is cocked, do the darts get vacuum-loaded (sucked to the back of the barrel?

P.S.: The clipped Nite Finder was what you found, done by KBarker, but this is different.

Edited by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA, 16 August 2007 - 10:53 AM.

The only commonly shared fate among us all is death. I turn to the shadows so that I may not be unfamiliar with hell's corridors when I arrive. - SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

Founder of the Shadow Militia.
Founder of Nightshade Laboratories and The Nightshade Armament Corporation.

#7 NerfVet

NerfVet

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 11:17 AM

When I discovered this I was very lucky. My stefan making skills are poor, so they are weighted bad and inconsistent. When I use my best stefans they are all almost equal in power only the first shot may be diminished. But where I play nerf (in my house) it is very beneficial, because in such close quarters it makes it much easier than reloading by one dart, and the accuracy is so great I hit my target everytime.
It does not suck in the darts when I cock it back.

Edited by NerfVet, 16 August 2007 - 11:18 AM.

#8 frost vectron

frost vectron

• Members
  • 526 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 02:53 PM

I've experimented with this too. My findings were too inconsistent to use, though.

About a quarter of the time, I'd get a double shot--where both shots fire at once.

Another quarter of the time, neither shot will make it out of the barrel.

The other half of the time it'd work the way it was supposed to, but manytimes power losses occured.

The main inconsistencies come from the air not going around the dart at the back of the barrel. The dart at the back is just pushing the dart at the front out. When it works right, the dart at the back stops moving after the collision. When you get a double shot, the rear dart keeps moving with the front dart. When it doesn't fire at all, the front dart is usually a little fatter than the rear one.

http://nerfhaven.com...?showtopic=9329

There is a thread with my version of the in-line clip (thank you to Carbon for the original design). It allows air flow to run past the darts at the rear of the barrel to the front of the barrel. This way you get more consistent firing that is not dependent on how fat your stefans are in relation to others.

Edited by frost vectron, 16 August 2007 - 02:54 PM.

Latest Modification: The Professional

"I am a leaf on the wind--watch how I soar" - Hoban "Wash" Washburne, Serenity.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users