Personal Nerf War Rules

Small Event, Custom Rules

7 replies to this topic

#1 Yazzeh

Yazzeh

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 11:35 PM

Hey, I'm looking for some input from all of you experienced Nerfers and Nerfettes.

I've written up a nice long page of rules and I'd like to know what you guys think of it. Now, I know many of you dissaprove of having hand to hand combat with foam swords included in a Nerf War, but many of my friends are LARPers or sparr with bokens and LARP weaponry, so I'm trying to include that. I've also tried to balance it all out. I'll take any harsh criticisms, but please don't be needlessly so, cause I'm a softy underneath my rabid foamthirsty exterior.

There will be around 20 players.

You can find the rules here: http://yazz.mysite.com/

Edited by Yazzeh, 15 August 2007 - 11:36 PM.

#2 The Shadow

The Shadow

• Members
  • 136 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 11:41 PM

Needs a lot of revision, shouldn't be so strict about ammo either, i use up at least a full of darts every big war i go to.
I'm just concerned that NH could be held liable when Ted inevitably ties this kid up and sticks him in his trunk for safe keeping. Seriously, Parkway, you might want to think about carrying a tazer.

#3 Yazzeh

Yazzeh

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 12:04 AM

Needs a lot of revision, shouldn't be so strict about ammo either, i use up at least a full of darts every big war i go to.

I am strict on ammo for a reason. Since this war includes hand to hand combat, I want players to eventually have to leave cover and use their sword. The reason I chose 21 shots is because I considered 3 Mavericks, with an extra shot for each. No reason why, I just felt like it.

I have to add in touching someone with a loaded barrel for a close shot. I forgot about it because usually if you're getting that close to someone in an indoor fight, they'd know.

#4 SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

• Members
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 01:27 AM

You should change "may bring" to "may carry into a round" when talking about the darts, rockets, ballistic balls etc. There are bound to be lost darts, and this will mean that someone has to have less to fight with in a round, which isn't fair.

Also, your TDM and FFA rules are based on the honor system, but there will always be people who lie. I advise you to have someone (a parent or volunteer) stay in the "designated respawn area" and tally how many people from each team come back, as this will be more accurate. (Plus, people who are seen "dying" but not returning to this area will most likely be seen by other players)

The "assault" game type will need a time limit or a life limit, because the game will always result in the assault team winning otherwise.

Having no PVC or other materials exposed puts modders at a disadvantage, because even if they are within the range and power requirements, guns like re-barreled Nite Finders, etc. can't be used.

Similarly, only being able to bring one melee weapon of a main and secondary class puts someone with a broken one at a disadvantage, even in the rare case that one breaks. You should change it to "may bring into a round."

The host should have extra weapons of all types (ranged, melee primary, melee secondary) that they can lend in the event of a player's weapon breaking and leaving them without a backup for the rest of the war.
The only commonly shared fate among us all is death. I turn to the shadows so that I may not be unfamiliar with hell's corridors when I arrive. - SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

Founder of the Shadow Militia.
Founder of Nightshade Laboratories and The Nightshade Armament Corporation.

#5 telekinetic

telekinetic

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 01:45 AM

The cheater in me pictures me running around with an RF20 fully charged accross my back (good use of 20 ammo pieces) waving my sword, and claming immunity from anyone shooting at me via the

You may not shoot a player who is in hand to hand combat, but you may join in the hand to hand combat.

rule. Is the spirit of this rule to encourage fencing? If you come at me with a sword, am I not allowed to Indiana Jones you with my holstered Nitefinder?
Frylock is telekinetic, right?

#6 SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

• Members
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 01:59 AM

The cheater in me pictures me running around with an RF20 fully charged accross my back (good use of 20 ammo pieces) waving my sword, and claming immunity from anyone shooting at me via the

You may not shoot a player who is in hand to hand combat, but you may join in the hand to hand combat.

rule. Is the spirit of this rule to encourage fencing? If you come at me with a sword, am I not allowed to Indiana Jones you with my holstered Nitefinder?

The player you're charging at or are nearest to is most likely going to switch to their melee weapon and fight, though. Even so, if you run from all players who have melee weapons drawn and closer to those firing ranged weapons, it will probably be stopped at some point.
The only commonly shared fate among us all is death. I turn to the shadows so that I may not be unfamiliar with hell's corridors when I arrive. - SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

Founder of the Shadow Militia.
Founder of Nightshade Laboratories and The Nightshade Armament Corporation.

#7 baseballnolan5

baseballnolan5

• Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 07:01 AM

The assassins rules need a little revising. Why can't non-assassins win? What is the point of forming an alliance when you can't win? Can the assassins be fought off some way I didn't read?

Telekinetic thats just great. :lol:
QUOTE View Post

About how much are you holding in the pictures on the spools?

A shit ton.

QUOTE(Langley @ Aug 6 2007, 05:41 PM) View Post

The shot hit Andy squarely in the forehead. He was, in fact, on my team.

#8 Yazzeh

Yazzeh

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 09:17 AM

You should change "may bring" to "may carry into a round" when talking about the darts, rockets, ballistic balls etc. There are bound to be lost darts, and this will mean that someone has to have less to fight with in a round, which isn't fair.

I guess that sounds better, but the fact is, I'm the only Nerfer I know who lives in Montreal. All my friends are either LARPers or dont have any 'war' games at all. My friends are actually buying many of their first Nerf guns and building their first foam sword for this war. Also, this war is indoors in a gym, so losing darts will be at a minimum. But I guess I really should let them bring as many as they want, and only bring 21 into a round. Thanks.

Also, your TDM and FFA rules are based on the honor system, but there will always be people who lie. I advise you to have someone (a parent or volunteer) stay in the "designated respawn area" and tally how many people from each team come back, as this will be more accurate. (Plus, people who are seen "dying" but not returning to this area will most likely be seen by other players)

There will be players and observers coming to the event. Observers will have cameras and what not to just watch us pummel each other with foam and immortalize the war. If they can't handle keeping watch over the respawn area. A score can't be accurately calculated from who arrives in the respawn area, however, because allied kills are allowed, which means a mercy kill doesn't give the enemy team any points, but removes one from their own team. I guess I could just change that for simplicity.

The "assault" game type will need a time limit or a life limit, because the game will always result in the assault team winning otherwise.

The assault/defend game has a 20 minute time limit. The two teams don't actually start inside and outside the base. They start an equal distance from it. The charge towards the middle and start trying to get inside without dying. The player who's holding the base has the advantage of forcing melee combat in their favour, since there will only be two entrances on the sides not facing the enemy and allied forces. The disadvantage is that they're stuck in a small area, and blind shooting would probably kill them.

Having no PVC or other materials exposed puts modders at a disadvantage, because even if they are within the range and power requirements, guns like re-barreled Nite Finders, etc. can't be used.

You misunderstood this rule. You may not have any hard material exposed on your sword or seconday foam weapon. You can have whatever you want exposed on your blaster. And in the case of modding them, most of my friends are kind of clueless about that, other than it's my hobby. I'll have to introduce them to this site.

Similarly, only being able to bring one melee weapon of a main and secondary class puts someone with a broken one at a disadvantage, even in the rare case that one breaks. You should change it to "may bring into a round."

Making more than one sword and secondary for a person who never LARPs anyways is a bit much. If I let the experienced LARPers with plenty of backups to fight people who don't have any, then that's unfair. So I'll leave the limit in place and hope they make sturdy swords. Of course, I'm totally bringing duct tape.

The host should have extra weapons of all types (ranged, melee primary, melee secondary) that they can lend in the event of a player's weapon breaking and leaving them without a backup for the rest of the war.

I guess I could manage this, but damn, talk about eating my life savings (which actually don't exist anymore anyways). I have quite a few guns, two Mavericks, Double Shot, Rapid Fire Rifle, two Nite Finders, Mustang 6, a very used and useless Tek 10... Of course I'm not counting my pump guns, cause they're too powerful. But I am bringing one as a demonstration of what makes a gun too powerful. Also, altogether, I have approximately 200 stock darts. I've finally decided on my method of making stefans, which I will also be bringing. So I guess I can cover for a few people.

Thanks a lot SHA, you've really helped me a lot with this!

If you read closely, you would have seen the rule stating you are not in hand to hand combat until you exchange first blows with an enemy. So if you're charging at anyone, yet they may pull an Indiana Jones and shoot you in the face with a missle for all I care. It's a good thing everyone only has 21 shots, cause they run out fast and then need to keep alive with melee weapons.

Also, players may join in the hand to hand combat with their own weapons once it's begun. Ranged support is necessary to help keep your allies alive longer. So even if the enemy is stalling, waiting for support, if he doesn't take definitive action quickly, he's going to be sliced down.

The assassins rules need a little revising. Why can't non-assassins win? What is the point of forming an alliance when you can't win? Can the assassins be fought off some way I didn't read?

Everyone is a non-assassin and an assassin at the same time. You win by not being killed long enough for your assassin to be killed by their own. You can make an alliance with your assassin's assassin for mutual protection. You protect them from their assassin while they hunt down yours.

Edited by Yazzeh, 16 August 2007 - 09:27 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users