Help Me Think!

New modder wants good cheap guns!!

48 replies to this topic

#1 Lynx

Lynx

• Members
  • 983 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 04:56 AM

Okay, I have $50 for nerf supplies. I was thinking about modding a longshot and its pistol but what else should I get?? I can't make stephans or buy them because I will be killing my younger brother with the modding. I was also thinking of modding a maverick because I love the 6 shot design. Please give me easy to do mods in link forum! Thank you in advance!!
Columbus' original crazy asshole now comes with:

AWESOME NITEFINDER

#2 SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

• Members
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 05:24 AM

Use this.
Or go here.

Also, as a rule of thumb, don't ask the "what should I get" type questions. It results in many people giving advice on multiple guns that they support but others do not favor as much. It's up to you. Decide based on your style of play, or in this case, what type of situations you're going to be using the gun in. Secondly, always use the search feature if you're looking for something instead of asking us to find it for you. For modifications, go to Forsaken_Angel24's directory (the second link). If you can't find a link with those two options, then come to us and we will give you advice. It just make the inquirer look better if they have actually searched thoroughly, come up with nothing, and then post for help, and we will be more willing to offer that help.

That being said, almost everyone recommends the Nite Finder for beginners, due to its simplicity to mod, low cost, and great modded ranges.

Edited by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA, 13 August 2007 - 05:31 AM.

The only commonly shared fate among us all is death. I turn to the shadows so that I may not be unfamiliar with hell's corridors when I arrive. - SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

Founder of the Shadow Militia.
Founder of Nightshade Laboratories and The Nightshade Armament Corporation.

#3 frost vectron

frost vectron

• Members
  • 526 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 05:43 AM

Where you play makes a big difference. Are you indoors or outdoors?
Latest Modification: The Professional

"I am a leaf on the wind--watch how I soar" - Hoban "Wash" Washburne, Serenity.

#4 BustaNinja

BustaNinja

• Members
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 08:16 AM

To start, get a cheap gun like a nf or mav. They are fairly easy to mod and they can take alot of abuse. If you really like modding then buy a LS. But it all really comes down to choice. What ever you do, don't buy that Longshot until you know how nerf guns work. I made that mistake and I almost broke it. Save your money till you can buy some good modding tools and stuff then tackle that longshot. A side note about the sidearm, it really has no practical value because it looses its range and power so fast so unless you need spare parts I wouldn't mess with it.

Edited by BustaNinja, 13 August 2007 - 05:27 PM.

Me: Yeah. he beat a hooker
Venom: Haven't we all?

#5 lionhead333

lionhead333

Aslan

• Members
  • 252 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 09:53 AM

Bustaninja- Please clean up that post.
Lynx-Frost is right. If you are outdoors, you may get a titan, or a BBBB. Indoors, I would say a few mavs, or nitefinders, or maybe even a magstrike.
EDIT: Nerfmonkey, my only errors were 1 missing letter, and a space instead of a hyphen.
I see no reason to capitalize unless I abreviate. BBBB is NOT a typo. It is the Buzz Bee Big Blast. I don't see how I'm a hypocrite for typing on a Wii.

Edited by lionhead333, 13 August 2007 - 09:13 PM.

QUOTE(Ubermensch)
If I were you, I wouldn't mess with the mods, or make stupid mistakes like misspelling their names. I mean, CAVV is really tough on that kind of thing

Most recent write up-
Sharpshooter 2

#6 penguin807

penguin807

• Members
  • 358 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 11:40 AM

If you're playing indoor I'd say get a Rapid Fire Rifle for your primary and a Maverick for you're Side arm and with the rest of your money to get some modding materials (petg, brass, ect.). If you're playing outdoors, don't even think of a buzz bee gun (except the big blast), Get a pump gun or a good spring gun (the Max shot or the Big Bad Bow are good) and for your side arm get a nf or Crossfire. Or you could just get a Magstrike and have 20 shots of foamy doom!

#7 NerfMonkey

NerfMonkey

• Members
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 01:46 PM

Lynx-Frost is rght. If you are out doors, you may get a titan, or a BBBB. Indoors, I would say a few mavs,or nitefinders, or maybe even a magstrike.

His post didn't need cleaning up, but if you insist on correcting someone you could start with yourself; way to be a hypocrite.
SexD Warves

#8 Thom

Thom

• Members
  • 759 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 02:49 PM

I'd say get a Nite Finder no matter what. They're excellent sidearms and very cheap, not to mention incredibly easy to mod. The Longshot is a good primary as well as a fun and difficult mod project. It combines good range with a good rate of fire.

If you play outside a lot, look at air guns like the BuzzBee Big Blast – its range is impressive, and it doesn't take too much pumping. If you mostly Nerf indoors, an auto like might be worth considering. If your younger brother has money to split the cost, the new Spiderman/Venom semi-auto two-packs have received rave reviews.

Be sure to save a little money for mod materials.

If you're worried about inflicting excessive pain, then you might want to look at THA darts. The impact surface is foam, not hot glue, but they have the advantages of stefans.

#9 BustaNinja

BustaNinja

• Members
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 05:28 PM

Lynx-Frost is rght. If you are out doors, you may get a titan, or a BBBB. Indoors, I would say a few mavs,or nitefinders, or maybe even a magstrike.

His post didn't need cleaning up, but if you insist on correcting someone you could start with yourself; way to be a hypocrite.

I re-wrote it anyway because it was an eyesore and kind of pointless.

#10 supercraft99

supercraft99

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 06:00 PM

I started out with an AT3K, and it worked out well. I don't know about their availability in the US, but they come in twin packs so you have a backup if one dies. They also have a satisfying ROF and can work well using cxwq's mod here.
QUOTE(Nonsense Man @ Aug 21 2007, 05:40 PM) View Post

Do you mean 50 feet or is it 50 inches??

Vancouverites (and surrounding areas), PM me if you Nerf.

#11 Lynx

Lynx

• Members
  • 983 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 06:39 PM

Wow, thank you so much on the replies!! I usually play indoors, but its a hole up and take crack shot at the other person kind of game. Ammo will be a major issue because I am unsure on a few things.
  • Can I use the cross tipped dart tagshots in a buzz bee?
  • Also, I was wondering if I should go all nerf or all buzzbee because I want to mod so I though nerf but buzz bee guns look better out of the package.
  • Do you think I could modify a buzz bee clip so I could use it on the 2 barrel?
  • 2 barrel shotty or Rapid fire?
  • Maverick or nf?
  • primary Ideas with nerf. cannot be magstrike, thinking of a stock longshot.
  • Im indoors
  • where can I find barrel material
  • what can i do to a nf/mav links please remember first time buying and modding nerf!!!
  • All I have is a box cutter/switchblade, all the screwdrivers I could ever need, saws, and hammer/nails!!! and limited skill
NO bashing others guys!!!!!!!!

Edited by Lynx, 13 August 2007 - 08:29 PM.

AWESOME NITEFINDER

#12 penguin807

penguin807

• Members
  • 358 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 07:04 PM

1. In my experience taggers work better than buzz bee darts.

2. If you like shells, go with buzz bee if not, stick to nerf, but it never hurts to go with both brands.

3. No. If you're going to go through all that work to figure it out, you might as well get rid of the crack open function and do ompa's clips on it.

4. Rapid Fire Rifle.

5. Indoor: Maverick. Outdoor: Nf.

6. I'd say Airtech an 3000 so you still have left over money to buy other things.

Edited by penguin807, 13 August 2007 - 07:07 PM.

#13 Lynx

Lynx

• Members
  • 983 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 08:16 PM

I would love links to stores and if I can buy all target that would be great!
Keep the replies coming!!

AWESOME NITEFINDER

#14 shadowkid33

shadowkid33

• Members
  • 633 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 08:35 PM

Wow, thank you so much on the replies!! I usually play indoors, but its a hole up and take crack shot at the other person kind of game. Ammo will be a major issue because I am unsure on a few things.

[*]Can I use the cross tipped dart tagshots in a buzz bee?
For the most part.

[*]Also, I was wondering if I should go all nerf or all buzzbee because I want to mod so I though nerf but buzz bee guns look better out of the package.
NO! Go all nerf with the exception of a Maxshot, Bigblast,or Pump Actiobn Shotgun.

[*]Do you think I could modify a buzz bee clip so I could use it on the 2 barrel?
What? I don't get the question.

[*]2 barrel shotty or Rapid fire?
2 barrel shotty, It's called the double shot. The RFR sucks balls.

[*]Maverick or nf?
NF

[*]primary Ideas with nerf. cannot be magstrike, thinking of a stock longshot.
Magsrike IS a good choice. A stock LS is ok, but not great.

[*]Im indoors
Cool

[*]where can I find barrel material
CPVC=hardware store Brass=Hobby Shop PETG=OMC

[*]what can i do to a nf/mav links please remember first time buying and modding nerf!!!
Simply mod them. Look in the modification directory for ideas.

Edited by shadowkid33, 13 August 2007 - 08:37 PM.

how the heck do you make a double clip?

Here are the steps.
1. Go to the search button in the right corner of the screen
2. Click
3. Search double longshot clip.

i dont have time, jeez, im new here!

#15 Lynx

Lynx

• Members
  • 983 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 08:50 PM

I deleted this

Edited by Lynx, 13 August 2007 - 10:38 PM.

AWESOME NITEFINDER

#16 zaphodB

zaphodB

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 09:21 PM

If you're playing in a basement, high capacity guns are your friend.

try a Mav, Dart Tag Gun (they come in packs of two) Longshot, or Magstrike.

The magstrike isn't that efficient, but it's fun as hell to play with.

everything else works great stock for short range games.
Alice came to the fork in the road.
"Which road do I take?" she asked.
"Where do you want to go?" responded the Cheshire cat.
"I don't know," Alice answered.
"Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."

#17 Retiate

Retiate

• Members
  • 778 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 09:27 PM

Magstrikes are amazing.

#18 SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

• Members
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 10:01 PM

What does omc mean?

Oh God. Don't let One Man Clan see that, he'll have a seizure. He's the one that sells PETG.

Longshots are not easy for everyone to mod, especially if you have limited tools or a short attention span.

The Double Shot is not really that good unless you do something like Cole's shell-less breach mod. I wouldn't waste money on that over a Longshot or DTG/DTB (Dart Tag Gun/Dart Tag Blaster, they're interchangeable) set.
The only commonly shared fate among us all is death. I turn to the shadows so that I may not be unfamiliar with hell's corridors when I arrive. - SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

#19 Lynx

Lynx

• Members
  • 983 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 10:13 PM

All I have is a box cutter/switchblade, all the screwdrivers I could ever need, saws, and hammer/nails!!! and limited skill

So do you think I can crack open a longshot n such with my tools as listed.

Edited by Lynx, 13 August 2007 - 10:39 PM.

AWESOME NITEFINDER

#20 BustaNinja

BustaNinja

• Members
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 10:22 PM

Primary weapon Secondary weapon
Link Link

Ammo must be stock

Easy modding ideas
Link
Link
Link

All I have is a box cutter/switchblade, all the screwdrivers I could ever need, saws, and hammer/nails!!! and limited skill

So do you think I can crack open a longshot n such with my tools as listed in my last post. please give me store names for all of this and use the format as listed in my last post.

LINKS TO STORES NEEDED AND USED IN THE FORMAT!!!! :lol:

You could yes, but you really shouldn't. Open something easier and cheaper before a LS. I nearly made that mistake. Save yourself the 30 bucks.

#21 Lynx

Lynx

• Members
  • 983 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 10:34 PM

Thank you Busta Ninja.....my normal fighting strategy is save bullets and take accurate shots. I usually play in a smaller recreation room downstairs with 2 bases which we slide around in and shoot the other guy. a short in length, any rof, semi auto would work best. power and accuracy is a must because of my style so rof is no issue, exposing my gun would suck so shorter is better, and semi-auto is much more accurate than a magtrike.

Edited by Lynx, 13 August 2007 - 10:40 PM.

AWESOME NITEFINDER

#22 SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

• Members
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 10:40 PM

Thank you Busta Ninja If you have already posted please repost in the format......

Beggars cannot be choosers.

The other thing, if you play indoors, you don't want really powerful guns because if you misfire or miss, then you break expensive china, glass, people, and mirrors, and if you hit you just break people.

If you want semi-auto, try the Hornet, which comes with the N-Strike Unity Power System, a lamely named package that has the Scout, Hornet, and Titan. You can get them at Toys 'R' Us. Otherwise, try the Longshot, but make sure to conserve shots because it only fires streamlines if unmodded.

Edited by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA, 13 August 2007 - 10:43 PM.

#23 BustaNinja

BustaNinja

• Members
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 10:41 PM

Thank you Busta Ninja If you have already posted please repost in the format......my normal fighting strategy is save bullets and take accurate shots. I usually play in a smaller recreation room downstairs with 2 bases which we slide around in and shoot the other guy. a short in length, any rof, semi auto would work best. power and accuracy is a must because of my style so rof is no issue, exposing my gun would suck so shorter is better, and semi-auto is much more accurate than a magtrike.

I suggest filling the tips of your LS darts will hot glue. It will give you better range and accuracy for indoor fights. And if you do open up your gun, you have a chance to take out that stupid bipod that gets in your way. Giving you the ultimate indoor nerf gun. I also use a LS for indoor wars.

#24 Quilan Fett

Quilan Fett

• Members
  • 678 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 10:43 PM

I recommend doing an ABBB.
SNAP Shotgun

This guy can see the future!

QUOTE(pokemaster @ Mar 3 2009, 04:18 PM) View Post

hasbro in a nerf war!!!!! dude the will cancel it and confinscate are guns

#25 Retiate

Retiate

• Members
  • 778 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 11:11 PM

[*]Do you think I could modify a buzz bee clip so I could use it on the 2 barrel?

Personally, I think that's a great idea. It won't be easy at all, but I think it'd be pretty awsome if someone could pull it off. Maybe it's just because I like the Doubleshot, there's just something about twin barrels that I really like.

[*]Maverick or nf?

For indoors, Mavericks are great. Although they lack in range, they make up for it in RoF. You can get off 6 shots in 6 seconds (any faster and the turret might not rotate properly) with each dart going around 30' (assuming it's lightly modded and using stock darts). Though, with more modification, you can strengthen the turret rotation and boost ranges up around 40'-50' (with Stefans).
Nitefinders have more range and more accuracy, but they have slower reload. For your "Conserve ammo and take accurate shots" style, this is the sidearm you're looking for.

[*]primary Ideas with nerf. cannot be magstrike, thinking of a stock longshot.

Stock Longshots really aren't that great. They get like 20'-30' and have a RoF very close to the Maverick. Another important factor is how many people you will be playing with. If you're only playing with one or two other people, RoF isn't as important if you can hit whatever you aim at. So, a stock Longshot might be good if you play in a smaller room, where 20'-30' is decent, just be sure to keep the sidearm seperate, it'll decrease ranges if it's attached (I think).
If you can get a hold of one, a Hornet would be great. The only problem is it's harder to get without having to buy the whole set (Hornet, Titan, Scout). Hornets are 6-shot semi auto air powered blasters. Ranges aren't too bad either.

[*]where can I find barrel material

ACE Hardware has CPVC, PVC (pretty sure this fits stock dart heads) and some carry brass. Otherwise, Home Depot or Lowes will have both PVC and CPVC. Might be able to find brass at a hobby shop, as someone mentioned.

I recommend doing an ABBB.

ABBB is great. It's a really balanced gun, keeping good RoF and range, but not extreme in either category. The only disadvantage is the mod is pretty advanced. If you're new to modding, I wouldn't suggest trying it until you have more experience.

Edit: With some practice and timing, you can get 10 semi auto shots from the Magstrike. I normally like to do bursts of 2 or 3 shots.

Edited by Retiate, 13 August 2007 - 11:12 PM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users