The Hornette

Extreme Hornet Makeover!

11 replies to this topic

#1 telekinetic

telekinetic

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 10:34 PM

So I finally started on my Hornette. It is currently halfway done: The internals are completed, and it fires (no range tests yet) but I've only barely started the body work. I'll update the thread when I finish the bodywork, I've got big plans for this...Custom 2-stage silver with a pink pearl, all text shaved, body smoothed and gaps closed with filler puddy, and of course some Swarovski crystals ^_^ It is for my wife, after all.

However, all that 'pimp my gun' external work will have to wait until I finish it.

For now, here's what I believe to be the current state-of-the-art of Hornet minimization:

Posted Image

Now, it isn't just minimized externally. The Hornet has an absolutely disgusting amount of useless pressure volume. This is due to three seperate 'blast' buttons (two on the sides, and one for the Titan activator), and in a smaller part due to the long hoses. I personally hate having the blast buttons on the side, almost as much as I hate pumping a 6 shot gun 20 times...If you want to hear how inefficient a Hornet is, hit a blast button after you've fired all six shots, you can hear how much pressure is still left in the system.

I decided to eliminate almost all of the extra volume. However, the blast function is neat, so I kept it, but relocated it to be more convenient to actuate one handed.

Posted Image

Intrigued?

On to the guts!

For reference, here's the Before internals from a different gun (already got big plans for this one, too, and ones of it's friends...I love these guns!)

Posted Image

And here it is after minimization:

Posted Image

Here's a comparison shot of the largest area of 'wasted' volume:

Posted Image

And here's a closeup on my custom blast button job:
Posted Image
I'm extremely proud of the fact that the dremeled and epoxied guts held pressure on the first try B) The blue lines are the split pieces. The blast button is the one from the right side, the angled part used to lead off to the Titan button, and I honestly can't remember where I cut that 90° endcap from.

Stay tuned for an update with completed body works.

I've got about 15 hours into this mod so far, and I'm sure I've left some parts out, so feel free to ask about anything.

And, as always, thank you for your interest in Telekinetic Labs. B)

Edited by telekinetic, 04 August 2007 - 10:36 PM.

Frylock is telekinetic, right?

#2 Coodude26

Coodude26

• Banned
  • 77 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 10:39 PM

Awesome. Is the open area by the relocated trigger (which is sweet BTW) hurt your hands at all when you hold it? Or is it all sanded down?

Also, about how long did it take you?

#3 telekinetic

telekinetic

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 10:42 PM

Awesome. Is the open area by the relocated trigger (which is sweet BTW) hurt your hands at all when you hold it? Or is it all sanded down?

Also, about how long did it take you?

Like I said, I'm about 15 hours into this so far, but a lot of that was figuring out how to do it, and taking my time with the epoxy (did each piece seperately and let it cure completely before fitting the next one)

Also, that open area will be filled and smoothed when I do the bodywork I mentioned.

#4 b00m13

b00m13

• Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 05 August 2007 - 12:35 AM

Neat-o dude!!
Don't forget to save those extra air release buttons for future projects.
Also, I wanted to add, if you plan on using the button to fire all 6 shots at once, don't plug the over pressure valve. You've probably heard that already on just about every hornet mod. It'll make the button a lot harder to press down if you do, and it's kinda true...
But from my own experience with over pumping the hornet (while it's plugged), I found that if the air release button is directly connected to the air bladder (Not by a vinyl tube, but epoxied together), it doesn't have the problem with being harder to press.
And for the air-release button, I'd suggest gluing a button shaped object over the "+", it'll make it easier to press, and wont hurt your fingers as much.

PS Keep up the good work!! If you want to make your wife an even more feminine gun, how about gluing some of those heart shaped valentines day candy as weigh on a couple of your stefans :D
Heart-shaped Bullets... Spreading~Love... All over your Arse~!!
The only place Wal-Mart exists in New York, is in our TV's.

#5 Oro

Oro

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 05 August 2007 - 12:55 AM

That's one hell of a sexy gun. What are the ranges?
QUOTE(deaddumpster @ Jun 25 2008, 04:59 AM) View Post

Don't pry.......and gently pry it off with a flathead screwdriver.

#6 frost vectron

frost vectron

• Members
  • 526 posts

Posted 05 August 2007 - 02:09 AM

That is really beautiful! The pearl pink and the silver mesh really well.

I never realized how contoured the Hornet is. I dig the name too.
Latest Modification: The Professional

"I am a leaf on the wind--watch how I soar" - Hoban "Wash" Washburne, Serenity.

#7 telekinetic

telekinetic

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 05 August 2007 - 04:51 AM

And for the air-release button, I'd suggest gluing a button shaped object over the "+", it'll make it easier to press, and wont hurt your fingers as much.

Yeah, I'm sticking the button from an SSPB on it...it qualifies as 'body work' so I haven't done it yet :D

#8 Kid Flash

Kid Flash

• Members
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 05 August 2007 - 09:05 AM

i was going to just sell my extra hornet but now i think im going to try and make one like yours... is it possible for you to make a writeup? and id love to see the ranges.

#9 telekinetic

telekinetic

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 05 August 2007 - 01:47 PM

i was going to just sell my extra hornet but now i think im going to try and make one like yours... is it possible for you to make a writeup? and id love to see the ranges.

If you can't figure out what to do based on the pictures and captions, I'm not going to post a more detailed writeup. It is extremely tedious getting the epoxy correct on the blast button, and I'd hate to have anyone wreck their gun trying to follow something I wrote up.

The only thing you need to know to do the whole mod that you couldn't figure out from the pictures is that you will need a 3/16" barbed connector to splice the lines, and you can get that at most Ace's.

Edited by telekinetic, 05 August 2007 - 01:51 PM.

#10 hierarchy

hierarchy

• Members
  • 336 posts

Posted 05 August 2007 - 02:58 PM

Man this mod is awsome. I'm trying to get another Hornet so I can make two of these and duel wield them.
QUOTE(Retiate @ Aug 13 2007, 08:43 PM) View Post

I guess you have some heavy duty industrial strength toilet paper holders. Do they advise you to wear eye protection when changing rolls?

My TTG mod.

#11 slienced assassin

slienced assassin

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 07:16 PM

This is a very good idea. I like the new way of using the blast function.
92% of teens have moved on to rap.
If you are part of the 8% who still listen to "real music",
copy and paste this into your signature

http://supernerf.piczo.com/?cr=1

#12 Norther of Heaven

Norther of Heaven

• Members
  • 349 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 07:31 PM

This is a very good idea. I like the new way of using the blast function.

Don't necro old threads. This could be of help to you.
http://nerfhaven.com...?act=boardrules
"I don't always drink beer. But when I do,
I beat my wife."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users