First Homemade In A Long Time

nice rof, 110' avg

12 replies to this topic

#1 sniper25

sniper25

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 08:59 PM

Ok I have not been around much lately, but a couple weeks ago I had this craving to build a new gun. First Built a prototype with spare parts, and after tweaking it a little bit i got this:

the gun

The main tank, at the bottom, is 2" pvc with an endcap with a bike tire valve at one end and a 2" to 3/4" reducer at the other. After that there is a 3/4 to 1/2 reducing elbow. the rest is 1/2.

First you pump the main tank (at the bottom) using a standard bike pump. I like to go up to 40ish psi. Once the main tank is filled you open and close the first ball valve, letting the pressure from the main tank into the firing tank. then point the barrel down ,shake ( it has a 4 shot inline clip, thanks to frost) and then open the second ball valve. I can squeeze off maybe 15 shots on one tank before i have to pump it up again. the first couple of shots go about 120'ish then it goes down to 105'ish until the last two or three. it leaves a pretty good welt from up close. so what do you guys think?

Edited by sniper25, 04 August 2007 - 09:02 PM.

Mr. pink of ugns

Under
Ground
Nerf
Squad

#2 frost vectron

frost vectron

• Members
  • 526 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 09:05 PM

Very cool. I'm glad that the clip is working out for ya. Have you experimented with longer clips? It seems like you're getting huge range as it is. You could find a balance between range and ROF by lengthening the in-line a little bit.
Latest Modification: The Professional

"I am a leaf on the wind--watch how I soar" - Hoban "Wash" Washburne, Serenity.

#3 Kid Flash

Kid Flash

• Members
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 09:14 PM

its very cool... is it possible that you could talk through the steps of making it and possibly take pictures of what to do to make it? that would be awesome to make. bit extreme though since i just play with my freind in his basement tho... but so is my titan ^_^

thankyou,
Ben

EDIT:
where is the clip in the picture on the gun? is it not attached?

Edited by Kid Flash, 04 August 2007 - 09:15 PM.

#4 Carbon

Carbon

Contriberator

• Moderators
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 09:27 PM

It's the tube behind the barrel. It's an in-line clip, like Frost's Sawtooth and my current SNAP-4 setup: a looser tube leading to a tighter barrel.
Hello. I am Indigo of the Rainbow Clan. You Nerfed my father. Prepare to die.

#5 Kid Flash

Kid Flash

• Members
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 09:33 PM

It's the tube behind the barrel. It's an in-line clip, like Frost's Sawtooth and my current SNAP-4 setup: a looser tube leading to a tighter barrel.

oh... ok. i can see what it is now. thankyou.

#6 sniper25

sniper25

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 09:55 PM

Frost, its funny you mention trying bigger clips. I was just doing that. for now i am going to stay with three, but i just tried and 8 round clip and those hit the end of my driveway which is 105 feet. the only problem is the barrel and clip are fricken huge. I want to try carbons inline with 1 1/4 pvc.

Kid flash, I will try to make a diagram of how to make the gun, though it is really simple.

Carbon how does your big inline clip work the one with 1 1/4 pvc.

thanks. sorry about the small picture.
Mr. pink of ugns

Under
Ground
Nerf
Squad

#7 Kid Flash

Kid Flash

• Members
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 09:57 PM

Kid flash, I will try to make a diagram of how to make the gun, though it is really simple.

sorry im pretty stupid when it comes to homemades...

#8 Carbon

Carbon

Contriberator

• Moderators
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 10:09 PM

The inline clip worked okay with the larger PVC, about 80-90% of the time. In other words, it jammed just often enough to make you wonder if the next shot was going to work or not.

Jams usually occurred when there wasn't a dart in the lead moving towards the barrel. What I'm wondering about is if the entire system might work better if you fashion some manner of agitator for it, something to break up the darts when you shake it. The weight that Frost used in his take on the in-line clip was a great addition. I wonder if something could be created that, when shaken, would help break up jams in larger tubing....or keep them from happening in the first place.

Your gun would be a good candidate for a high capacity inline clip...huge air output.
Hello. I am Indigo of the Rainbow Clan. You Nerfed my father. Prepare to die.

#9 sniper25

sniper25

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 10:17 PM

Carbon I was just test firing and I had one double fire and 2 misfires out of 18 shot so not to bad. but by mistake I forgot to close the first ball valve before firing and emptied the whole tank in one shot. all three of the darts in the clip shot out over my driveway and deep into my neighbors yard, i cant find them, the shot was so loud it scared the crap out of me. those three darts probably went over 150 ft. but i think I'm done for the night and i will be doing some more tommorrow
Mr. pink of ugns

Under
Ground
Nerf
Squad

#10 Z-man12

Z-man12

• Members
  • 232 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 11:23 PM

wonder if something could be created that, when shaken, would help break up jams in larger tubing....or keep them from happening in the first place.

Carbon, has any one tried 1/2 CPVC cut to the lingth of a dart. And tied with a line to the wall to prevent it from ever becomeing the lead dart?

Edited by Z-man12, 04 August 2007 - 11:24 PM.

I mod nerf guns so they look good. So leave my scopes, doodads, and trinkets alone I like them. I don't mind the weight and I started out that way on toy guns and its not going to change.

#11 monkey with a nf

monkey with a nf

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 05 August 2007 - 06:57 AM

Yeah- frost vectron used a 1/2 CPVC weight (with some 3/8" vinyl tubing) in his sawtooth mod.
QUOTE(Pineapple @ Sep 12 2007, 03:13 PM) View Post

For maximum efficiency?

1. Pump up. Count how many pumps.

2. Keep going until you hear a loud "bang".

3. Subtract one pump from the total. Rebuild your air bladder.

There you go.

#12 ice

ice

• Members
  • 895 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 02:48 PM

i don't see wut the big deal is with 110 foot range. i made one that gets 200 avg with 16 pumps, 1 ball value
<!--quoteo(post=206428:date=Jan 25 2009, 05:17 PM:name=Mukersman)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mukersman @ Jan 25 2009, 05:17 PM) View Post</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
Turd stefans. When I pulled these out of the pillow case i was just like, what... the... fuck...
Muker
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#13 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 03:17 PM

i don't see wut the big deal is with 110 foot range. i made one that gets 200 avg with 16 pumps, 1 ball value

And I don't see why the hell you're bringing this 6 month old thread back from the dead for no reason other than to express that you are unimpressed by it.

Your second post has resulted in your second warning. The fact that you're gonna get a third is astounding in itself. Go read the code of conduct and use your last chance wisely.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users