Apoc Reaction

82 replies to this topic

#1 Evil

Evil

Fucking Copout

• Members
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 06:02 PM

It's hard to express how disappointed the people who didn't make it should feel. This was the single greatest achievement the LCM has ever had - which is a shame because the LCM only had 6 members at a 45 person event. I want to say thanks to Shindig, he did such a great job and I thought he and I did well hosting and dealing with all 45 people. I want to thank everyone who came; you were all respectful, helpful, and you all put forth at the very least solid efforts today. In my opinion, this was the best event we've ever hosted and the best event I've ever been to.

I woke up today and wondered if 45 people was a mistake. I left at 5:00 PM today unable to get over how great this war was. For me it was the best combination of fun and performance I've ever had. The rounds were all very good and even though the last round was a marathon, it was memorable and I thought enjoyable enough. It's wars like these that remind me of why this hobby is so rewarding.

Thanks all.

MEMORABLE MOMENTS:

Civil War round - our second attempt was more balanced and seeing 20+ people charge 20+ people was something I've always wanted to see.

Dodging all day - not to be humble, but Apoc 07 saw my best, most consistently dramatic acrobatics.

Leaving Gunslinger Heaven after doing a successful baseball slide dodge - my knee swelled up on the trip home. All I remember about it was Hersh being the first to console me and offer a piggy-back ride.

Meeting the Canadians - you all did considerably well and were great guys to have around.

Pulling up my pants in rounds 1-8 - I must have lost weight or the falling shorts must have made me better by lowering my center of gravity. Half of the video(s) shot today include me hiking up my pants and shooting with my free hand.

Making teams without any issues or real discussion - this was my biggest worry I had prior to our first round.

Sunburn - my face is now equally red all around.

Winning the first ever Great American GoreFest - at the best and 6th Apoc, it was only fitting that it came down to two LCMers.

Aching from top to bottom by round 8 - the competition was more than welcome.

Edited by Evil, 04 August 2007 - 06:32 PM.

2007 Great American GoreFest Champion (Aug. 4, Apoc)

#2 shadowkid33

shadowkid33

• Members
  • 633 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 07:49 PM

Amazing war. All you morons who decided not to show at the last minute made a horrible mistake. I don't know when the video will be up, I'm leaving for camp tommorow until friday, so if I can get it done tonight, It'll be up by tommorow.

Best moments:

-Suprised I wasn't the first out at every round (Only the first and Last)

-Doing well with Hersh's Maxshot

-The battle at the Horseman's new field.

-Another awesome dodge by Evil on tape. Slow motion again.

Edited by shadowkid33, 04 August 2007 - 07:58 PM.

how the heck do you make a double clip?

Here are the steps.
1. Go to the search button in the right corner of the screen
2. Click
3. Search double longshot clip.

i dont have time, jeez, im new here!

#3 CD-R

CD-R

• Members
  • 101 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 07:56 PM

This was a great war. The fun level was over 9000 (a new record)
With that being said, my personal experiences were mixed, but ended very well. In the beginning, a failing AT3K kept me from achieving my standard level of awesome; I only got 2 kills in the first 3 rounds. However, once I got my gun situation figured out, everything picked up, and I had a great time.
Some highlights include, but are not limited to:
The ZERG IT DOWN charge during the multi-clan war
Getting ten kills during 3-15 in the forest
The mad dash through the trailers (in the end we ran through a thorn bush)
OMC's sword (and Al's theft of said sword)
Getting to work together as a whole clan

Overall, while I started out slow, this was probably the best war I've ever been to (tied with DEAL).

Edited by CD-R, 04 August 2007 - 08:01 PM.

It's A Trap! -Admiral Ackbar

#4 The Shadow

The Shadow

• Members
  • 136 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 08:27 PM

Pardon my language but fuck, that war kicked the shit out of any other war i've been to. ill make this short so highlights:
Teaming up with both Badger and Groove and killing basically everyone
Getting to meet new people
Getting to work together with my clan

not much but its good for me
I'm just concerned that NH could be held liable when Ted inevitably ties this kid up and sticks him in his trunk for safe keeping. Seriously, Parkway, you might want to think about carrying a tazer.

#5 EvilReaper

EvilReaper

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 09:14 PM

even though this was my first real war (ive done others but with only 5-6 other people ) i have to say on a fun/awesome scale from 1-10 ill give it a 22

highlight
-exploding out of the forest only to trip, then fall on my face and get shot in my ass

-running into a thorn bush while retreating

-hiding in the woods waiting for people to walk by ^_^

-running out of Ls ammo, stupid stock amm

-charging in civil war while dodging

-getting shot with forsaken angles gun in the back of my head

-gunslinger heaven getting 1 kill

-hersh calling a chain blazer a rototrack

-being called boonyhat by hersh

ill add more when i remember and clean these cuts up

Edited by EvilReaper, 04 August 2007 - 09:26 PM.

Kabuki 10:43 AM 2-22-08
This makes my CPVC fit stock darts perfectly. They slide right in, without having to twist or turn.

Oh, crap. That's going to get added that hilarious quote to my signature, while playing with my butthole by one of you wierdos, isn't it?

#6 shadowkid33

shadowkid33

• Members
  • 633 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 09:32 PM

I think it was Evil who called the chainblazer a rototrack, not Hersh. I could be wrong though.

I also forgot to say in my last post to Evil and Paul, great job hosting the war. You had it very well organized.

Also, the video won't be done until at least a week from today.

Here are the steps.
2. Click

#7 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,761 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 09:36 PM

FLAVA FLAV!
The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#8 EvilReaper

EvilReaper

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 11:00 PM

screw it got 7 error messages while trying to post a picture, just search photobucket for apoc2k7
Kabuki 10:43 AM 2-22-08
This makes my CPVC fit stock darts perfectly. They slide right in, without having to twist or turn.

Oh, crap. That's going to get added that hilarious quote to my signature, while playing with my butthole by one of you wierdos, isn't it?

#9 Rambo

Rambo

Fear the Robble...

• Members
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 11:43 PM

No results found for 'apoc2k7' on Photobucket.

Highlights:
-Getting 2 Horsemen in one round.
-Bringing Canadians that kicked ass overall.
-Doing better than my last go at Deal Park.

Lowlights:
-Some minor hit disputes, but who really keeps track B)(Hersh and Jake - I know, he wasn't even there, but the disupte will live on forever.).
-My catabolism rendering me unable to play a few rounds. Damn Jolt - perhaps 2 will suffice pre-war in the future ^_^.

#10 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts
  • State:New York

Posted 05 August 2007 - 08:01 AM

Very cool war. Matt, Paul, all the LCM, great job running this thing. My only suggestion is that next year we move our schedule up a bit cause this thing felt like it was held in the bowls of hell. I've never been at a war before where the humidity was bad enough to noticeably alter the way darts fit into my barrels.

That said, I had a disgustingly sweaty blast.

Highlights:

- Getting to nerf at Deal a second time this year (usually only get enough people round up once a year, but it looks like that will change).

- Deflecting the only hit I took from Forsaken's rifle off my lock 'n load from 20 feet (oh, the hit still counted but that would have fucking hurt otherwise).

- Groove and I forming an unholy alliance to take out the competition in Gunslinger Heaven and squeaking out a win when we dueled for the title.

- Two...er....sounds will live in infamy: FLAVA FLAV! The multi-team "Clan" round that wound this up found Famine, Groove, Hersch, Ted, Cpt. Slug and myself on the smallest team and constantly chased and ambushed throughout a round that was at least 45 minutes long. At one point 3 other larger teams had us pinned behind a fucking park bench with nowhere to go. We were so annoyed throughout this round as the other teams basically ignored each other and swarmed us that Groove and I seriously discussed demoting and muting everyone else at the war for the duration of a week. Of course our tempers cooled when it went to sudden death and we won. Flava Flav indeed.

VACC

#11 One Man Clan

One Man Clan

TOFTS

• Contributors
  • 2,170 posts
  • State:New Jersey

Posted 05 August 2007 - 08:03 AM

FLAVA FLAV!

There is nothing else that sums up the day better. I feel like I just escaped from a Vietnamese POW camp, with the amount of pain I'm in. I too have many highlights, but I am in no mood/condition to post them now.
I hate you.

#12 Evil

Evil

Fucking Copout

• Members
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 05 August 2007 - 08:51 AM

I can't wait for the first Saturday in August, 2008.

Edited by Evil, 05 August 2007 - 08:51 AM.

#13 shadowkid33

shadowkid33

• Members
  • 633 posts

Posted 05 August 2007 - 10:38 AM

I can't wait for the first Saturday in August, 2008.

Same. Only 364 days left until Apoc '08!

Edited by One Man Clan, 05 August 2007 - 12:23 PM.

Here are the steps.
2. Click

#14 Groove

Groove

Certified Badass

• Founders
  • 1,673 posts
  • Fucks Given:0
  • State:California

Posted 05 August 2007 - 10:48 AM

This year has been quite the Grand Tour of Nerf for me. I have attended almost every possibly war within driving distance on the East Coast (roughly 8 hours) and one not within driving distance, on another coast. Be it as it were, Armageddon would be the last show and a sold out concert, and Apocalypse was the kick-ass encore performance where I rock out in a guitar (or Crossbow) solo for seven hours straight. What a great fucking war.

Personal highlights:
-Gunslinger's heaven: After OMC and I took out several others, and I was finally the only one left, I made several alliances throughout the entire round (with Shadow, Badger and VACC), taking out many people in the process, only to duel off against VACC in the end. He got me in the end, but an immensely satisfying round nonetheless.
-The last 30 vs 30 round: I got taken out somewhat early but managed to rack up at least 10 kills, 3 of them if I might add, being moving headshots.
-Pointing at pretty much anything and hitting it, and friendly compliments from friend and foe alike.
-Forsaken_angel24: Finally getting to meet him and his posse.
-Hitting a toddler with my Crossbow and making it sound like an Effeminate accomplishment.
-The HEAT: Jesus Christ! It was so hot and humid, I went through two shirts.
-All American Gore Fest: Fuck.
-Team Deathmatch round in Resurrection Forest: After pushing the other team back to their starting point, and getting picked off, we retreated to set up an ambush in a small funneled pathway, and I hit someone square in the chest from about 80 feet away.
-The infamous clan vs clan battle, the last round: What a way to end the day. In fact, it's so Effeminate in its nature that I will dedicate a short story to it so that the memory may live on.

So, we were instructed to join up with people we are associated with, are teamed with, or are in a clan with. The LCM formed a massive blob of a team, as did z80's crew. The Canadians (Forsaken_angel24 and company) formed a decent sized force as well, along with Papa Bear and his family. The Horsemen conglomerate team was comprised of myself, VACC, Famine, OMC, Cpt.Slug and Dark Shrimp. That's SIX people for those of you who can't count.

The round starts, and our team is immediately targeted by two other teams. We got whittled down slowly over the entire course of the round, as all teams converged on us multiple times, and even though I promised my body I wouldn't do much more running I ended up doing more running the last round than any other round that day. This went on for a good hour or so with the climax being when three teams were collectively shooting at us (mind you they were ALL in shooting distance of each other, but went after us instead) and pinned us behind the walkway benches. We broke out of several situations where we could have potentially been wiped out, and managed to dish out several various hits on people throughout the process. We got chased around the entire length of the park so many times I lost count. VACC and I actually thought about muting people on here because we were convinced a new level of lameness had been reached in the world of Nerf.

Nevertheless, 4 of us made it to sudden death. Once sudden death was called, we were finally able to fight on our own terms, and squared off against the rest of z80's crew. After exchanging several shots and skillful dodges, we finally managed to wipe them out. The win was so satisfying that I was catapulted into the air by VACC with his wild screams of joy echoing through the air. What a way to end the day.

All in all, a great way to end the Summer Nerfing season. Despite the many hardships we endured with the heat, I would venture to say there was still a shit ton of fun to be had, and from the looks of it everyone did have fun. I'm very pleased with the way it was handled and organized, hats off to the LCM for their hard work. And hats off to the rest of you all for attending, it definitely made the 8 hour car ride for me worth it.

-Groove

"Too close for missiles, I'm switchin' to guns"

#15 Rambo

Rambo

Fear the Robble...

• Members
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 05 August 2007 - 12:23 PM

Clan Battle - Numbers don't make everything. Not to be rude to anyone else, but only what, 4-5 people at the whole war did better(number of kills) than all the members of your team for the most part?

#16 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 05 August 2007 - 01:06 PM

Clan Battle - Numbers don't make everything. Not to be rude to anyone else, but only what, 4-5 people at the whole war did better(number of kills) than all the members of your team for the most part?

Funny, I can't think of anyone I'd rather have had on that team, and somehow you got 4-5.

VACC

#17 Famine

Famine

• Members
  • 545 posts

Posted 05 August 2007 - 05:20 PM

::Blatent attempt to detour around the oncoming catastrophe::

Apoc '07 was the epitome of a big war done right. Evil & Shindig kept things moving and when the situation called for it they weren't afraid to scrap previous plans, improvise on the spot, or make decisive judgment calls. Kudos guys, fucking kudos. Besides getting to meet Forsaken Angel I also had the opportunity to see that Captain Slug really can Nerf, despite my previous impressions of him.

I look forward to seeing most of you again at some sort of Late Fall / Early Winter war, otherwise I'll catch you in '08. Seriously though, would it kill anyone to move Apoc up a week or two? Nerfing in that type of humidity should not be legal.

My round-by-round break down (for those of you bored enough to care):

Civil War - This was strangely entertaining. I wouldn't mind seeing the rules further refined and made an annual tradition at Apoc.

30 vs. 30 (ie 20 vs. 20) - Due to a teammates' questionable strategy my team got its ass handed to it but I didn't really care. I scored plenty of hits and had a great time playing with the half of my team which displayed the good sense NOT to divide our forces before the round started.

UDC Team War - This was kind of bittersweet in that it was the last round my crossbow worked. My favorite shot of the day, Forsaken Angel brazenly calling out a challenge to my team and being answered with a crotchshot from Crossbow.

Gunslinger Heaven - Always a favorite. The final showdown between Vacc and Groove was nothing short of Effeminate. Where the fuck was the camcorder that round?

Final Frontier - This field was fun but a bit overcrowded. That and going back to my Longshot was just kind of depressing.

Gorefest - I actually managed to kill four or five people with just a single LnL. I fucking rule.

Multiteam Fuckfest - That last round was fucking traumatic. When the sound of Hersh bellowing "FLAVA FLAV!" becomes comforting you know something has gone horribly wrong. Despite the weak justifications of overgrown man-children, our team seemed to be the focus of some sort of retarded alliance. It was like looking at the giant army at the beginning of Lord of the Rings, only instead of it being Elves & Men it was more like Cowards & Incompetents.

A Poetic Ending - Listening to Rambo argue with Forsaken Angel about physical fitness and workout/body building routines. Seriously, it was akin to me arguing with Buzz Aldrin about how to pilot a lunar module.
~Famine
of Mag-7
East Coast Nerf 2005: Step It Up.
East Coast Nerf 2006: That's more like it.
East Coast Nerf 2007: I'm not driving to Massachusetts again.
East Coast Nerf 2008: Day of Regret.
East Coast Nerf 2009: Quid pro quo, douchebags!

#18 The Infinite Shindig

The Infinite Shindig

Arma-what-now?

• Contributors
  • 1,383 posts

Posted 05 August 2007 - 07:06 PM

Good God that war was insane. After having 24 hours to reflect, I definitely think the heat and humidity kept us from getting 1-2 more rounds started. Seriously, in the last round (team death match) and I was hoping someone would get me out of the round. Once I was finally out, it was a mix between happiness, sadness, and exhaustion. I'd place that war in the top 3 I've ever had for overall experience.

Kudos to the following people:

Evil and Kuhlscrank - For organizing the war and generally kicking ass
Forsaken Angel & Crew - For driving down from fucking Canada and having a gun that scared the rest of us
Groove - For kicking ass and driving from Richmond
Slug - For having quite possibly the best gun ever for Civil War
Vacc & Famine - Letting us use their field and helping us put on a great day
Papa Bear - For having a damn good shot
Darkshrimp - Best. Car. Ever.
Skitzo - For bring 6 dozen free donuts. You rock.

If I didn't mention your name specifically, do not fret. I was impressed with everyone that showed up and would be happy to have all of you back again. This was the largest community event we've had on the East Coast and one of the largest community events ever (Suck it California). After all, why argue amongst ourselves when we know the Californians would die in the humidity and heat we saw yesterday? Hell, their guns wouldn't have worked at all.

Just remember Reckoning (our Winter War) won't be as hot and humid, so there is no reason why you shouldn't come. We'll evaluate the date for Apoc next Spring. I'd like to coordinate it with the rest of the major East Coast wars: Deal, DCNO, Tune-Up, etc.
Shindig of the Lawn Chair Mafia

<a href="http://www.albinobla.../flash/posting" target="_blank">Posting and You</a>

#19 SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

• Members
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 12:21 AM

I have to stop missing these wars. Just a few questions:

What now-famous BFG did Forsaken's crew bring?

Did anyone get the infamous VACC vs. Groove showdown on tape, or was that missed in some ungodly poor timing on the cameraman's part?

How hot was it, 100? You guys reflect like you just barely escaped dying in the middle of the Sahara. (The only reason I'm happy I missed the chance to join this war: I have an all black wardrobe. I would have gotten a stroke.)

Edited by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA, 06 August 2007 - 12:25 AM.

The only commonly shared fate among us all is death. I turn to the shadows so that I may not be unfamiliar with hell's corridors when I arrive. - SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

Founder of the Shadow Militia.
Founder of Nightshade Laboratories and The Nightshade Armament Corporation.

#20 Rambo

Rambo

Fear the Robble...

• Members
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 12:45 AM

Forsaken brought his Pump Action Shotgun. Not sure about the showdown. I think it was in the low-mid 90s with a lot of humidity.

#21 Skitzo

Skitzo

• Members
  • 270 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 10:05 AM

This was my personal best performance, a lot of nice dodges and clean shots.

Favorites moments were:
-Shoulder length hair drenched in sweat feeling like a piss covered blanket on my head all day (I actually think it kept me cool).
-Only bringing one shirt when about 5 were probably needed, I was soaked before the first round even started.
-Taking somone out in the first Civil War round with my new Big Salvo.
-Getting shot square in the chest by Titan Kid (people around me heard the shot thunk against my chest) in the Civil war and not knowing who killed me until we were driving home.
-Getting two double kills with Ted in the same round, the second actually killing me.
-Firing a shot at someone with my lbb, missing, dropping that gun, grabbing my magstrike off my back, sprinting within good firing range, pulling the trigger, nothing happening, running up an barrel tapping the kid, and finding out later my gun has a slow leak which negated all of my previous pumping before the round started.
-Pumping Papa Bears big blast (which only needs 5 pumps) maybe 15 times before realizing it was not my lbb with the stock fart valve.
-Leading a team when Hersh and the other higher ups on the team died.
-Running into a round thinking "Holy shit fuck, where are my glasses!?" said glasses hanging off my shirt collar.
-Jumping around a corner to finally kill Titan kid(my brother), getting shot in the crotch by Evil and just laying on the ground with my last life gone, holding my crotch.
-Going prone under one of those odd trees in the final frontier and catching Groove in the pocket.
-Turning around at the last second and snapping my neck to the side to avoid a shot by one of badgers crew in the free for all round.
-Concentrating on not getting killed by the 5 year old kid with the big blast pointed at me and getting shot by his father in the back in the free for all round.
-Coming up behind captainslugs team and having a small "pistol round" with slug leaving with one hit on each of us in the last round.
-Getting chased in between two other teams then running away from them into the Canadians, forming an alliance with them then all of us getting chased by yet another team into the woods.
-After sudden death was called running from cover to cover but more importantly shade to shade with forsaken and waiting form him to move again only to hear "I don't know what you guys are doing waiting for me, but I'm
not running anymore"
-Being on the 5 year olds team every possible round.
-Drinking 8 bottles of water and only peeing once.
-Almost shooting the camera man about 8 times throwout the day, he was aiming that thing right at me, next time make him wear a sign or something, I would have actually pissed myself if I could at the time, turning around and seeing what looked like a gun from that angle, pointed right at me.

As for the after math:
-Leaving with 2 guns in need of repairs.
-Everything hurting.
-Eating about 12 white castle cheeseburgers for dinner.
-Sleeping at 10:00 PM
-Waking up with diarrhea and nausea (no doubt from exhaustion, dehydration and the burgers) at 1:30 AM
-Sleeping again at 2:30 AM
-Getting up at 6:00 AM to work until 3:00 PM for the busiest shift at Dunkin Donuts.
-Getting home from work and knocking a $70 vase of the kitchen counter.
-Legs covered in poison ivy

Id do it all again though, it was all totally worth it.

Skitzo-

Edited by Skitzo, 06 August 2007 - 10:17 AM.

If soldiers were to begin to think, not one of them would remain in the army.- Frederick The Great

#22 Evil

Evil

Fucking Copout

• Members
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 10:22 AM

-Drinking 8 bottles of water and only peeing once.

Go team.

#23 TED

TED

In Brightest Prawn, in Darkest Shrimp...

• Administrators
  • 1,338 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 10:37 AM

I give Apoc 2007 a 12.
Star Wars can go fuck itself.

#24 Evil

Evil

Fucking Copout

• Members
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 10:38 AM

-Another awesome dodge by Evil on tape. Slow motion again.

I'm pretty excited to see it, any idea where it took place on the field? Maybe I remember it. Either way I can't wait to see it, in slow-motion, again...

#25 Evil

Evil

Fucking Copout

• Members
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 10:51 AM

Double. Post.

"Things I learned from Apoc 2007" by Evil Angel.

- If its you vs. Vacc, just wait for Famine to intervene with friendly conversation.

- When 45 people are involved, Groove can disappear for rounds on end. I think I saw him twice all day.

- In the future, every field manager needs to bring flagging tape with them to their option fields.

- 9 z80 Nerfers are great, but I missed having 19.

- Belts or better fitting pants are a Nerf necessity.

- The Deal Curse is gone, I can play well on that field.

- Hersh has more pistols than pockets, but it doesn't stop him from trying to fit them all in his cargo shorts.

What do you guys think we should work on for our seventh Apoc in 08? If we want the day to run smoother what would you suggest?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users