Cpvc Barreled Missile Storm

basic mod for a vintage blaster

3 replies to this topic

#1 ambushbug

ambushbug

• Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 07:09 PM

This will be less than mindblowing. Let's face it, it doesn't take a rocket (missile? B) ) scientist to come up with this mod. I'm sure this has been done before but it appears that there aren't even pics of modded missilestorms around (at least on their own), let alone a writeup. Perhaps this will end up in the "vintage" section of the mod directory.... the copyright date imprinted on the turret says 1993! This thing is older than probably half of the members on this forum. Curiously, it also says that it was manufactured by Kenner (a division of Tonka toys) - I didn't even realize NERF wasn't always owned by Hasbro.

I picked up this blaster from my local thrift shop ($0.99) and other than a broken missile rod/peg, it worked (no missiles included).

Posted Image

I figured I'd take it home and have some fun. Normally, I'd open it up right away but it uses these peculiar screws with star-shaped (hexalobular?) recesses - for which I don't own a screwdriver. So this write-up really just documents a simple "external" treatment. If can open it up in the future, I'll add some pics and possibly some internal (e.g. airseal) mods.

But modding the barrels is easy enough - first, I hacked off the rods down the nubs on the turret.

Posted Image

Then I cut some CPVC into four 3" sections. I use 2" darts for my CPVC barrels but ofcourse you can use whatever lengths you like. The extra clearance was to accommodate the turret nubs (about 3/4") over which the barrels fit. A small bit (~3") of e-tape around each nub and the CPVC barrels fit tightly. Add some hotglue to secure the connections. And voila:

Posted Image

the ranges are not spectacular (probably not more than 40') and very variable. Since this is a trigger-less blaster (you pull back the blue handle to rotate the turret and then push forward rapidly to fire), the range depends on how hard/fast you push. Truth be told, I don't get very good results with my CPVC/dart setup - if I get around to picking up more brass, I'm going to replace the barrels.

I also bought this with other plans in mind (e.g. integrating the turret and cocking mechanism with a powerful spring gun) - so this may well be a temporary solution.

Anyhoo - enjoy!

#2 frost vectron

frost vectron

• Members
  • 526 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 07:27 PM

Looks like a fun little mod! I just dug up my old, old Ballzooka and wanted to do the same thing.

I think that you will get better results if the barrels were a low-friction, perfect fit with the darts. If you can get such a fit (brass or PETG), you should make the barrels a little longer than usual. This should compensate for the slow air delivery (I think).

Opening the gun up would be very helpful. I'm certain that the airseal inside is no longer effective. These old guns like to get worn out plunger heads. Once you have a perfect airseal, you should get better ranges. I've heard of people using small flatheads to fit inside of the odd shape. Other people say they have melted small pieces of plastic and stuck it into the head of the screw before it dries. Once it dries, you have a tool to open the gun.

Edited by frost vectron, 02 August 2007 - 07:30 PM.

Latest Modification: The Professional

"I am a leaf on the wind--watch how I soar" - Hoban "Wash" Washburne, Serenity.

#3 monkey with a nf

monkey with a nf

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 08:27 PM

The screw heads are called Torx- apparently Nerf has tried other methods of tamper-resistant screws than the triangular ones on the Comlink.
QUOTE(Pineapple @ Sep 12 2007, 03:13 PM) View Post

For maximum efficiency?

1. Pump up. Count how many pumps.

2. Keep going until you hear a loud "bang".

3. Subtract one pump from the total. Rebuild your air bladder.

There you go.

#4 Guest_DarkInfection_*

Guest_DarkInfection_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2007 - 10:27 PM

The screw heads are called Torx- apparently Nerf has tried other methods of tamper-resistant screws than the triangular ones on the Comlink.

A little off topic, but I think that the screws in Spyderco knives are also Torx. You can find a screwdriver for them at Ace I think. Thats where I found them. The company that makes the screwdrivers is called "Wiha" Here's their website.

http://www.wihatools.com/

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users