Mavrick Tube Repair

So you can cock it with out the slide.

9 replies to this topic

#1 Z-man12

Z-man12

• Members
  • 232 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 09:09 PM

So the cocking bracket on you maverick finally broke despite your attempts to reinforce it. Now what are you going to do? Well you can still use it if you follow these steps. I don’t if this has been done before but I am going to detail it for your future use. (Sorry for some of the pictures being a little blurry but I couldn’t get it to focus upon repeated tries.)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Step one take out the part of the plunger tube that slides back into the cocked position. (the piece that should have a nub that the cocking bar went on ,before you broke it off.)

Posted Image

Take this piece and drill a hole through the tube like so. The reason its in this place is to offer the most resistance to the wire and prolong what’s left of the plunger life.

Posted Image

Now run your wire of choice through the hole and tie it off using your favorite method.

Posted Image

Drill a hole in the back of the gun’s body for the wire to pass through. You will also have to drill a hole in line with the case hole in the middle of the spring plate.

Posted Image

Now run the wire attached to the plunger tube through the spring the release hole and the back of the gun. Cut the wire and attach to what ever you are going to use as a cocking pull. You could use the original slide but I opted for a ring.

Posted Image

Done. Although it might make for slower firing. It will now work again which is better then it was.
Posted Image

Edit: Added a picture I left out.

Edited by Z-man12, 02 August 2007 - 12:21 AM.

I mod nerf guns so they look good. So leave my scopes, doodads, and trinkets alone I like them. I don't mind the weight and I started out that way on toy guns and its not going to change.

#2 penguin807

penguin807

• Members
  • 358 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 09:51 PM

Very nice, clean and effictive mod, but wouldn't it hurt pulling back that wire? What type of wire did you use (looks like copper)?

#3 General Cole

General Cole

• Banned
  • 868 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 10:21 PM

I think there should have been a key ring attached to it, that would make more sense. It looks like braided copper, which I have never heard of. It may be braided cable, which looks different when the flash goes off.
We should stop calling out/making fun of/pissing GC off. He's actually contributed and is available for trade. He's a better than average member no doubt. Got your back Cole.
-Nerfer34

You know what... I know it's kinda late... but Props Cole.
-Baghead

#4 Yazzeh

Yazzeh

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 10:41 PM

Why not just sand down the leftovers of the broken plastic piece and epoxy a metal L-shaped bracket to it? That way you can use the gun the same way as before.

#5 frost vectron

frost vectron

• Members
  • 526 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 10:48 PM

Gotta love them breaking mavericks.

Looks to be a useful method of repair for those poor souls with the Maverick in their arsenal. :(

I'm sure there's a billion ways to do this--this write-up in particular is just how Zman decided to tackle it.

By the way, have you tried using the Macro function on your digital camera? I use the macro function all the time (whenever I'm taking photos of anything closer than a few feet away). It's the little "flower" icon on your camera; it should fix the blurry-photo-syndrome.
Latest Modification: The Professional

"I am a leaf on the wind--watch how I soar" - Hoban "Wash" Washburne, Serenity.

#6 Z-man12

Z-man12

• Members
  • 232 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 12:19 AM

Very nice, clean and effictive mod, but wouldn't it hurt pulling back that wire? What type of wire did you use (looks like copper)?

Oops :( I forgot a picture. The one showing the ring. Yes that is copper but as some one said it is not braided. It is a thicker guitar string that I got from a friend. I got lots of sizes, but this seemed best. Although in hind site it is a bit rough to use almost like a tiny saw but it is strong. The mavrick here though is going to be a display pice and wont have heavy use so that is ok.

Why not just sand down the leftovers of the broken plastic piece and epoxy a metal L-shaped bracket to it? That way you can use the gun the same way as before.

Because I didn't want to try and fabricate something that would snap off under use. I know it would have worked for a while but even epoxy brakes after a while. Plus I didn't have the materials on hand and I had the wire.

By the way, have you tried using the Macro function on your digital camera?

Yes I tried that, it was just the lighting. Trust me I when I say I know a lot about camera's. Photography is a big hobby of mine.
I mod nerf guns so they look good. So leave my scopes, doodads, and trinkets alone I like them. I don't mind the weight and I started out that way on toy guns and its not going to change.

#7 Oro

Oro

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 01:02 AM

Damn! Why didn't I think of this? I can finally fix my friend's Mav. Thanks. At least now I don't to get him a Nitefinder, because I didn't want him to have an equally effective sidearm. I am such a great friend. :P :(

Edited by Oro?, 02 August 2007 - 01:07 AM.

QUOTE(deaddumpster @ Jun 25 2008, 04:59 AM) View Post

Don't pry.......and gently pry it off with a flathead screwdriver.

#8 el swifto

el swifto

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 08:57 PM

WOW.

Too bad I didn't think of that. I got 2 broken mavs just laying around. I gotta try this.

#9 Kid Flash

Kid Flash

• Members
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 01:27 PM

awesome but bad... if i had seen this about 3 weeks ago i wouldnt have had to buy a new maverick. oh well. now ill have 2 working mavs. might even atach a little mcdonalds toy key ring to it :(

#10 Maeric

Maeric

• Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 08:58 PM

Hm... Nice. Looks useful. But I do like the thought of cocking a Mav using an L-bracket on the side better.
Active on H3Artificer as Halacar. GT: Halacar send me an invite if you wanna forge.
I'm amazing at Forza3! I destroyed the engine of a 2mil C car by downshifting! YAY!
I hate you. And all noobs who are like "OMFG i r liek, glued sh1t 2 shit. jak offf ma ego. NAOW!"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users