Spring replacement, plunger reinforcement, and seal improvement

18 replies to this topic

#1 Sypth

Sypth

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 04:25 PM

Alright this is my first write up so bear with me,

So you got a BBB and you don't want to ruin it for that spring for the LS, well now you don't have too, while even making it shoot 100 feet+.

Materials Need-

E-tape
Handyman Spring 9713 (Find it at Menards)
Gun lube
1/2 coupler
Sand paper
3/8 inch Metal Washers
Hacksaw/Knife (Anything that can cut through PVC)

So first you unscrew your BBB like so, and make sure you don't lose those tiny springs off the orange side pieces, that's a big no, no.

Posted Image

Then you get your 1/2 coupler and Handyman spring, not what you gotta do is sand inside of the coupler down a little bit so that the spring fits in nice and tight, also if your coupler has those little nubs all around it by the bottom, sand those off too. Also another thing, this is almost the most important thing about this, make sure you cut down the coupler at the bottom it least 1.5cm, mark it with a ruler and sharpie if you have to. Then you want to wrap the coupler with a couple layers of E-tape, make sure not to go over board cause then it won't be able to fit in the plunger chamber.

Posted Image

The next thing you want to do is put the coupler down the plunger tube all the way till it hits the bottom.

Posted Image

Then followed by the spring.
Posted Image

Now what you want to do is use your 3/8 inch washers and put one below the stock orange washer, and then one above. (Sorry pic is very blurry.)

Posted Image

Now we focus on the plunger, now take out your e-tape and wrap it around the bottom of the white plunger a couple times till it fits perfectly, stop and go a couple times if you don't want to waste any e-tape. Then once you've got a nice air tight seal, take some of your gun lube, I used some gun barrel lube from my paintball gun kit you can probably use any gun lube, and put it around the e-tape and pull your plunger chamber a couple times to pre-lube it for actual shooting, I'd lube it twice just to be sure.

Posted Image

Now screw it all back together and throw a new barrel on it and you've got one kickass BBB that fires well over stock ranges, and you can use that BBB spring in your LS. I'm almost positive someone has done this before here, but it wasn't very explained well, and he didn't put the e-tape around the plunger. So since all that's done with comments, questions?

Posted Image
Peter Griffin: Men aren't fat lois, only fat woman are fat.

#2 blister

blister

• Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 04:42 PM

1) Good mod, but it's been done before.
2) THA used a spacer made out of a PVC coupler to compress the spring more. I suggest you do that.
3) Or, to get the best ranges, use CS-884 from centuryspring.com and cut it down to the length of the original BBB spring.
4) I kinda don't believe your ranges.
5) You have very blurry pictures.
Subvert the Dominant Paradigm.

#3 Sypth

Sypth

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 04:52 PM

blister, thanks for your feedback, I stated in there that I know that it has been done before, and also I did use a PVC coupler and the ranges are defintely accurate, I used stefans if anyone was wondering.

Edited by Sypth, 01 August 2007 - 05:01 PM.

#4 blister

blister

• Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 05:01 PM

Oh, I thought that was the plunger head. My bad.
Subvert the Dominant Paradigm.

#5 telekinetic

telekinetic

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 05:38 PM

Thanks sypth, nice mod! I'll try that this evening!
Frylock is telekinetic, right?

#6 General Cole

General Cole

• Banned
  • 868 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 05:42 PM

As much hope as I have for the BBB I don't belive your ranges either. High eighties would be more beliable, maybe even mid to low 90s.
We should stop calling out/making fun of/pissing GC off. He's actually contributed and is available for trade. He's a better than average member no doubt. Got your back Cole.
-Nerfer34

You know what... I know it's kinda late... but Props Cole.
-Baghead

#7 Sypth

Sypth

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 05:54 PM

As much hope as I have for the BBB I don't belive your ranges either. High eighties would be more beliable, maybe even mid to low 90s.

I swear to you, I have been hitting a little over a 100 feet flat, I never would of guess it would make it even to hundred when I first tried this mod. And I was getting around 92 feet without the E-tape. But I can assure you either way this mod blows away stock ranges.

#8 AJAQ

AJAQ

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 08:19 PM

I can't get mine over 40 with a PETG barrel, handyman, and spacer.

Can't shoot missles at all.
~AJAQ~

#9 General Cole

General Cole

• Banned
  • 868 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 10:28 PM

Well, no one believes my 63ft AT1K flat ranges, so I guess I should just shut up.
We should stop calling out/making fun of/pissing GC off. He's actually contributed and is available for trade. He's a better than average member no doubt. Got your back Cole.
-Nerfer34

You know what... I know it's kinda late... but Props Cole.
-Baghead

#10 Sypth

Sypth

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 12:22 AM

I can't get mine over 40 with a PETG barrel, handyman, and spacer.

Can't shoot missles at all.

Well you either did one of the two, too tight of e-tape or cut down the Coupler too small. And General Cole do you have a link for your AT1k I'm interested.

#11 AJAQ

AJAQ

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 10:25 AM

I didn't use E-Tape, and I used a cut down PVC. right around an inch.
~AJAQ~

#12 Sypth

Sypth

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 12:36 PM

I didn't use E-Tape, and I used a cut down PVC. right around an inch.

I'd get a 1/2 coupler and some e-tape then.

#13 Guest_DarkInfection_*

Guest_DarkInfection_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2007 - 01:04 PM

I have two main comments, and an explanation of the first.

1] This is the exact same fucking mod as TiggerHappyAzn's.(No matter how you look at it. Also you said that his (THA's) mod wasn't very clear. I had no problem understanding it.)

2] (This goes to the people criticizing Sypth's range claims.) The mod is the same, yet you people don't believe Sypth's

ranges. (THA claimed ranges over the 100ft mark, and nobody had a problem believing him.)

Even though you wrapped the plunger head with e-tape, that doesn't really count. With most mods, it kind of goes without saying, that when you preform that specific modification, you can do some general things that weren't specifically stated in the original mod.

For example, with an AT2K mod, say somebody does this incredible modification, and it completely blows us all away, but it doesn't say weather or not to plug the pump with hotglue. Then some other person comes along, and basically rewrites that great mod. Except one thing, they say to plug the pump. Now that person thinks that the mod is theirs, and they are the sole creator of that fantastic AT2K mod.

Thats bullshit. And its basically what I'm seeing here. I have no problem believing the <sarcasm> oh so important ranges, </sarcasm> What I have a problem with, is you re -writing this mod, saying that somebody else did it, and then still claim that the mod is original simply because you added the tiny detail of wrapping the plunger head with e-tape. So-Fucking-What?

#14 six-five-two

six-five-two

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 01:30 PM

If you want your pictures to focus better, then just turn Macro Mode on (the Green flower) on your camera. Look in the manual or something.

#15 Sypth

Sypth

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 06:32 PM

I have two main comments, and an explanation of the first.

1] This is the exact same fucking mod as TiggerHappyAzn's.(No matter how you look at it. Also you said that his (THA's) mod wasn't very clear. I had no problem understanding it.)

2] (This goes to the people criticizing Sypth's range claims.) The mod is the same, yet you people don't believe Sypth's

ranges. (THA claimed ranges over the 100ft mark, and nobody had a problem believing him.)

Even though you wrapped the plunger head with e-tape, that doesn't really count. With most mods, it kind of goes without saying, that when you preform that specific modification, you can do some general things that weren't specifically stated in the original mod.

For example, with an AT2K mod, say somebody does this incredible modification, and it completely blows us all away, but it doesn't say weather or not to plug the pump with hotglue. Then some other person comes along, and basically rewrites that great mod. Except one thing, they say to plug the pump. Now that person thinks that the mod is theirs, and they are the sole creator of that fantastic AT2K mod.

Thats bullshit. And its basically what I'm seeing here. I have no problem believing the <sarcasm> oh so important ranges, </sarcasm> What I have a problem with, is you re -writing this mod, saying that somebody else did it, and then still claim that the mod is original simply because you added the tiny detail of wrapping the plunger head with e-tape. So-Fucking-What?

Really that post had no point what so ever, and don't put words in my mouth, It's not my orginal mod and I never stated it as it was, the only reason I posted it in the first place is so that people would actual notice as THA's was basically ignored, if you've got a problem with me or this forum pm me instead of putting on the forums.

#16 NeFerZ

NeFerZ

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 12:51 PM

Is that new handyman spring the same handyman commenly used in a NF?

sorry for not contributing to the thread..

-Nerferz

#17 Tofu

Tofu

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 01:00 PM

-Nerferz

Yep, and you can find that spring (Handyman 9713) at home depot if your wondering.

Dude your in some deep crap now your not supposed to post in topics a month old, let alone 5 months. Hope you don't get banned.

Edited by Tofu, 30 December 2007 - 01:11 PM.

I eat air restrictors for breakfast.

QUOTE(P.C. III @ Jan 17 2008, 12:19 PM) View Post

A great nf can beat a crummy xbow...

^BS^

#18 NeFerZ

NeFerZ

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 01:17 PM

-Nerferz

Yep, and you can find that spring (Handyman 9713) at home depot if your wondering.

Dude your in some deep crap now your not supposed to post in topics a month old, let alone 5 months. Hope you don't get banned.

Oh, are you serious? Man i wish i read the rules again because i have'nt logged in since ages

#19 AJAQ

AJAQ

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 02:37 PM

I did this style of replacement awhile back, but mine goes nowhere.

Sigh.

I have tried 3 different barrel lengths, the white stopper on both directions, and the white plate in, and out.

I think BBBs just hate me.
~AJAQ~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users