23 replies to this topic

#1 Carbon

Carbon

Contriberator

• Moderators
  • 1,893 posts
  • State:Wisconsin

Posted 26 July 2007 - 12:56 PM

I've been wondering about a location in central Wisconsin that could be a decent trip for folks in Minnesota, Illinois and Wisconsin. I don't live in central Wisconsin, but I have a lot of contacts in the Marshfield/Stevens Point/Wausau area...if there's interest, I'll work on scouting some areas that we could play in.

It'd be great to be able to draw from multiple areas, and put together a large Midwest war. What does everyone think?
Hello. I am Indigo of the Rainbow Clan. You Nerfed my father. Prepare to die.

#2 Flaming Hilt

Flaming Hilt

• Members
  • 1,070 posts
  • State:Washington

Posted 26 July 2007 - 02:23 PM

I'd go for it. Probably even close enough my mom would let me drive (...she wouldn't let me go to Chicago), and I bet my dad would want to come too. He's not bad.

Location scouting would be the problem. If you all want to give me gas money I'll drive over there and check it out. ; o)
" Beneath this mask there is more than flesh, Mr. Creedy. Beneath this mask there is an idea...
...and ideas are bulletproof. "
V

#3 Carbon

Carbon

Contriberator

• Moderators
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 02:42 PM

I went to school in Point, so I have some ideas on places to play, as well...I'll talk it over with some of my friends, and see if they think our kind of gathering would go over. We might even be able to get access to a location on campus, as one of my contacts is a professor at the University. Hell, he might even want to play.

#4 All Star

All Star

• Members
  • 283 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 05:43 PM

This sounds like a great idea! I might be on a hockey tournament up in the dells if it is in late august. It's a beginning of the season tournament we have every fall season. But if the dates don't line up, no. I live 5 hours from there! :lol:
"One fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish"

- DR. SEUSS

" Would you eat them on a train, would you eat them on a plane?"

- SAM I AM

#5 Carbon

Carbon

Contriberator

• Moderators
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 06:23 PM

This sounds like a great idea! I might be on a hockey tournament up in the dells if it is in late august. It's a beginning of the season tournament we have every fall season. But if the dates don't line up, no. I live 5 hours from there! :lol:

Five hours from Marshfield, but four hours from Stevens Point, if that makes a difference...if this at all works out, that's where I'd lean towards.

#6 All Star

All Star

• Members
  • 283 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 10:11 AM

Ok, sounds good. I will see if I can be there.

- DR. SEUSS

- SAM I AM

#7 bpso86

bpso86

• Members
  • 618 posts
  • State:New Jersey

Posted 27 July 2007 - 10:51 AM

On the topic of a huge Midwest war, I was just thinking of this the other day. Us Ohio guys don't really have many people to nerf with other than our usual groups, and I'm sure if it wasn't too far away (We're in Cincinnati) we'd be able to make the drive out to nerf. Since the east coast has Apoc, the west coast has Armageddon, we need something. Now.

But, as for the time frame, when were you guys thinking?

*Edit: I just checked, and it's about a six hour drive to Milwaukee from Cincy. I'm down for a drive anywhere in the 6-8 hour range. My car gets 40mpg haha.

Edited by bpso86, 27 July 2007 - 11:43 AM.

#8 Flaming Hilt

Flaming Hilt

• Members
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 11:06 AM

Probably Thanksgiving-ish... and then (if it ends up working out), more frequently next year. Those are my thoughts, at least.

MWNW... it doesn't flow. But. Meh. Does it really have to be an "out?" There are so many Nerf "outs..." : o.
" Beneath this mask there is more than flesh, Mr. Creedy. Beneath this mask there is an idea...
V

#9 All Star

All Star

• Members
  • 283 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 12:13 PM

How about the something with the word turkey in it. Maybe the turkey tourney. That sounds somewhat lame. Just an idea.

- DR. SEUSS

- SAM I AM

#10 Flaming Hilt

Flaming Hilt

• Members
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 03:06 PM

Anything with the word "turkey" in it can't be used year-round if this become a recurring thing. Now let's both shush for a while and let other people decide things, too.
V

#11 All Star

All Star

• Members
  • 283 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 03:30 PM

Ok, sorry. I will back off.

- DR. SEUSS

- SAM I AM

#12 Carbon

Carbon

Contriberator

• Moderators
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 05:40 PM

Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iliinois, Ohio....

How about Great Lakes Area Nerf Explosion (GLANE)?

Or not.

But anyway...I'll do some checking with people this weekend and report back.

#13 sam

sam

• Members
  • 1,059 posts
  • State:Minnesota

Posted 27 July 2007 - 08:44 PM

I'm in, if I'm home from college, and If I can get a damn X-bow.

#14 bpso86

bpso86

• Members
  • 618 posts
  • State:New Jersey

Posted 28 July 2007 - 08:02 PM

I'm in, if I'm home from college, and If I can get a damn X-bow.

You don't need a crossbow...

And Carbon, that name sounds sweet. Seriously.

#15 Carbon

Carbon

Contriberator

• Moderators
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 12:12 PM

I have two park names in Stevens Point to check out: Texas Park and Mead Park. Mead Park is the area disc golf course, and also has playground equipment. There are several parks in the immediate area (right along the Wisconsin River), but this one is the least busy. Texas Park is a smaller park (about four acres), but has a wide open playfield as well as a wooded end. There's also never anyone there (according to my friend who lives right there.) Of course, if we're looking towards Thanksgiving at this point, I think we'll have a better chance of being able to use most any park.

Not sure when I'm going to get up to Point next, but when I do, I'll get some pictures. Or, if anyone else finds themselves in the area....

http://stevenspoint.com/parks/map.html

#16 Ryan201821

Ryan201821

Prince Edward

• Contributors
  • 1,892 posts
  • State:Illinois

Posted 30 July 2007 - 06:49 PM

You know I'm down for anything. Just let me know when and where.

#17 rockfordnerfer

rockfordnerfer

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 07:25 PM

I'd definately be down for a central wisconsin venue. Anywhere near madison would be rockin'. i live in illinois and i have almost every weekend off.
A broken gun just means more parts for the other ones.

#18 Jangadance

Jangadance

• Members
  • 676 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 10:06 AM

Keep us all posted. The bigger (and more inclusive) the better.
"The 'dance goes on..."

#19 sam

sam

• Members
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 06:17 PM

Any more information/news/decisions?
I'll be back in MN on the 18th for thanksgiving break., and have to leave again on the 25. So it looks like this might have to be a weekday war, at least for me to be able to make it. There is also a chance that I'll be in Madison around that time too. 19, 20, 21 look like the best days, for me at least.

Also, something like this in the summer would be amazing, so if this doesn't work out for thanksgiving break, we should try to plan something for the summer.

Edited by sam, 23 August 2007 - 06:18 PM.

#20 Flaming Hilt

Flaming Hilt

• Members
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 07:15 PM

Right now it just looks like decision stalemate. I don't think anybody's gone/is going to go check out the locations, so nobody can really suggest anything. If I had spare cash for gas (AKA a job) I'd go, but alas...

Nobody feels like scouting those locations?
V

#21 Flaming Hilt

Flaming Hilt

• Members
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 09:42 PM

Okay. If we're not going to have a tri-state in WI we should at least have another NO SPAM before it gets too cold. I'll host if nobody else wants to. Dates?

We can still switch to a tri-state if someone goes location scouting. But otherwise I see this as the only way anybody will actually do something.
V

#22 sam

sam

• Members
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 11:21 PM

The 17th of November is the only possible that would work for me, and even that date is a bit shaky, I get back from college on the 16th, I would have a ton of modding to do that night, and my parents would have to be cool with me being gone for the day after just coming home. I would be up for a December event, early December probably, it can still be pretty mild then, and we could have our pick of places to play for the most part.

As for the Tri-state Area Shindig, we should definitely shoot for summer, and make sure to get it done.

#23 Carbon

Carbon

Contriberator

• Moderators
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 08:28 AM

Yeah, sorry to bring it up and then not get anything done on it, but life has sucked the past few months. (A few things contained therein and not the entire concept, but you get the idea.) Next summer is probably the best idea...I'll definitely be up there several times between now and then, get some photos, and maybe find out more about holding it on campus.

#24 Flaming Hilt

Flaming Hilt

• Members
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 10:06 PM

It's fine, Carbon. Kind of a group effort thing -- nobody is singling you out or anything. And thank you for offering to go up there between now and mid-summer next year. I think that's the best option for a larger war anyways; It offers more time for planning and chances of better whether.

As for the next NO SPAM, early December also works for me. I'm still leaning towards a Thanksgiving-dated war, because of weather and proximity. Any other dates besides the ones Sam threw out?

...anybody else besides us three? XD
V

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users