29 replies to this topic

#1 TriggerHappyAzn

TriggerHappyAzn

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 01:32 PM

And what is with those darts?

Posted Image

I make foam tipped heavyweight darts. Due to their unique construction, they can be made without the use of hotglue or any other adhesives, the have over 50% less barrel friction than traditional stefans (letting them accelerate faster and enabling the use of longer barrels allowing for greater accuracy without compromising range), and have at over 1/4" of FBR sticking out the front for safety/less welts and bruises.

Pretty much all you need is:

-FBR
-Weights of your choice
-Tapioca straws
-Pliers

I start by cutting the FBR to length. For 2" darts i use a 1 1/4" long section and a 3/4" long section. The miter box lets me get perfect cuts through just about anything.
Posted Image

Next I cut the tapioca straws into 1" sections (1 per dart). It's ok to leave the edges jagged b/c it lets the straw grab onto the FBR when you cram it in.
Posted Image

When all of that is ready, you can begin constructing the darts.
Posted Image

With your pliers, dig a shallow hole into one end of the 3/4" long FBR and insert a weight so that it's just beneath the surface.
Posted Image

Then grab the FBR with the pliers and cram it 1/2" into the tapioca straw weighted end on the inside. After that, grab the 1 1/4" long FBR "tail" and cram it in the other end too.
*Note: In the picture I put the "tail" in first, but it should be head first instead (accident)
Posted Image

The result is a nerf dart with range and velocity, but without the nasty sting. Enjoy!
Posted Image

*edit* THA darts (title) comes from my name "TriggerHappyAzn"

Edited by TriggerHappyAzn, 12 June 2007 - 01:35 PM.

#2 Flapper12

Flapper12

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 02:08 PM

You should of put this in the stickied thread "Dart smithing tips" but oh well. Pretty unique way of making darts I might try this some other time. I make my darts CS's way.

Edited by Flapper12, 12 June 2007 - 02:09 PM.

Has anyone ever told you that your a dumb shit?-King Of Butt Land

Don't be sorry. Being sorry means you were wrong or you're trying to get fucked. Were you wrong? No. So why do you want to fuck Ted? I've met him; you're making a mistake.-VACC

#3 keef

keef

• Members
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 03:00 PM

Wow, thats pretty unique! I've got to try them!
I use that other "Lawn" Clan for Nj's way.
I make mine 1.5 inches, perfect for BBB, NF, Mav (even though it sucks)

Thanks for the idea,
-keef
Timothy M-Lick <3

#4 Skitzo

Skitzo

• Members
  • 270 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 03:11 PM

How accurate are these things? For some reason it seems that they would fishtail allot.
Could you post ranges of stock darts and stefans compared to these things shot from the same gun?
Do the bbs move inside the straw in between the fbr after a couple shots?
Did you actually measure that there is less friction or did you just assume because the middle of the dart does not contact the barrel that there is less friction?
Do these fit in 1/2" CPVC?
(semi serious) Where do you get Tapioca straws? Are they used with tapioca pudding?

Skitzo-
If soldiers were to begin to think, not one of them would remain in the army.- Frederick The Great

#5 Prometheus

Prometheus

• Members
  • 780 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 03:58 PM

Cool looking darts.

How accurate are these things? For some reason it seems that they would fishtail allot.
Could you post ranges of stock darts and stefans compared to these things shot from the same gun?
Did you actually measure that there is less friction or did you just assume because the middle of the dart does not contact the barrel that there is less friction?
(semi serious) Where do you get Tapioca straws? Are they used with tapioca pudding?

Skitzo-

If you have a smaller surface area, and the force applied to the barrel walls is the same, you should have less friction. However, you have to have a good barrel as it reduces the area that can help maintain a good seal. If you add a drop of plumbers goop or some other slow-setting glue, the bb will not be able to move at all.
QUOTE(VACC @ Jan 24 2008, 06:12 AM) View Post
I am NEVER going to sleep naked in the bed of a former child star ever again....seriously

#6 six-five-two

six-five-two

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 05:53 PM

It looks good but maybe the straw part should be shorter. And your talking about Bubble Tea straws right?

#7 Brass

Brass

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 06:46 PM

Looks like a good idea. I'll try this, I just ran out of hot glue sticks anyway. My hot glue gun is tiny, so sticks for it are hard to find.

Cussing, cursing, swearing, using profanity: All I have to say is why the hell not.

Because every time you do God kills a kitten.

Everytime you miss an opportunity to say 'fuck' I'm going to eat a kitten.

#8 TriggerHappyAzn

TriggerHappyAzn

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 09:11 PM

Skitzo-

1. Accuracy is good with my BBB, and no they don't fishtail at all.
2. These are the only darts I make with 1/4" slingshot ammo. My normal stefans are lighter, but I can push these into a tight barrel material (17/32" brass, or cpvc) as opposed to a regular stefan getting stuck after i twist it in halfway
3. No, the bb's do not come loose after repeated usage because the straw clamps down on it through the FBR so tightly.
4. They do have less friction (look at #3)
5.(look st #3)
6. You can get these straws from your local Chinese grocery, or asian drink place (although it would be wierd if you went inside of one and walked out with a bunch of their straws). They're used to drink slushies, smoothies, and drinks with boba and jelly in them.

#9 Guest_yourface_*

Guest_yourface_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2007 - 09:13 PM

Question:

Can you still feel the dart hit you? Is the sensation closer to that of a stock dart, or a Stefan?

And by the way, I find it slightly amusing that two people in this topic have quoted related parts of the "Future Nerf War Crime" topic in their signature.

#10 TriggerHappyAzn

TriggerHappyAzn

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 09:37 PM

Question:

Can you still feel the dart hit you? Is the sensation closer to that of a stock dart, or a Stefan?

And by the way, I find it slightly amusing that two people in this topic have quoted related parts of the "Future Nerf War Crime" topic in their signature.

You can still feel the impact very well, it just feels a bit softer/blunt, and FBR is less likely than hardened hot glue to welt someone.

#11 Guest_yourface_*

Guest_yourface_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 June 2007 - 08:49 AM

OK, thanks. I'll try to make some of these for my next Nerf-off.

#12 Guest_DarkInfection_*

Guest_DarkInfection_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 June 2007 - 07:30 PM

6. You can get these straws from your local Chinese grocery, or Asian drink place (although it would be weird if you went inside of one and walked out with a bunch of their straws). They're used to drink slushies, smoothies, and drinks with boba and jelly in them.

Dude! Are you talking about bubble tea? That stuff is awesome. A local restaurant sells them, and they come with these huge (thick) green straws.

#13 six-five-two

six-five-two

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 02:21 PM

6. You can get these straws from your local Chinese grocery, or Asian drink place (although it would be weird if you went inside of one and walked out with a bunch of their straws). They're used to drink slushies, smoothies, and drinks with boba and jelly in them.

Dude! Are you talking about bubble tea? That stuff is awesome. A local restaurant sells them, and they come with these huge (thick) green straws.

That's just what I said.

It looks good but maybe the straw part should be shorter. And your talking about Bubble Tea straws right?

#14 Guest_DarkInfection_*

Guest_DarkInfection_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 June 2007 - 04:53 PM

That's just what I said.

Whoops, I didn't read that. Yeah, those drinks are still awesome though.

#15 six-five-two

six-five-two

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 05:30 PM

Ehh Bubble Tea is okay. I really like it without the "bubbles" though, even though that kind of defeats the purpose of it.

#16 vanpaun

vanpaun

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 05:46 PM

Boba tea is the shit. Especially with Lychee jelly. :D
QUOTE("One Man Clan@Oct 11 2007 @ 07:40 PM)

...And people wonder why the Front Page at NH is all posts from admins about dumb fucking members...

#17 b00m13

b00m13

• Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 03:12 PM

gah, I can never stand that stuff, but luckily for me, the rest of the family likes it, and when they're done with it I use it as a great sealing tube (when i modded my friend's LS, and had to cut the tube in 2, these straws fitted it perfectly when i had to seal the tube back up!!, I didn't need to add glue it fitted it so perfectly and tight, of course i added it anyways cuz im thorough ^^)

Tapioca,Boba,Bubble, whatever you call em, you can buy em by the hundreds for a few bucks online.
Just google up Jumbo Straw and there's stores that sell em 500 for $7 +S&H
The only place Wal-Mart exists in New York, is in our TV's.

#18 six-five-two

six-five-two

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 09:34 PM

Just buy them from a dollar store, it's faster and probably cheaper than buying it online.

#19 Guest_DarkInfection_*

Guest_DarkInfection_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 June 2007 - 05:18 PM

Well I just got back from a trip to an Asian food store, and I have to say these straws come pretty cheap. They are like, 100 for 99 cents. Ok, anyways I made a couple, and they are just as good if not better than regular darts.

Pros-

+Easy to make

+Cheap

+Amazing accuracy

+Mass-Producible in a short amount of time.

+Don't give out welts (but you can defiantly still feel if you've been hit.)

+The brightly colored straws make the darts a little easier to find.

Cons-

-Small problem with fbr getting separated inside of the straw.

----------------------------------------------------

So that's my review of them. The only bad thing (or whatever) can be remedied by putting a small dab of hot-glue in, after you have twisted the head into the straw-stub. I have defiantly switched to making these instead of regular Stefans.

#20 six-five-two

six-five-two

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 11:24 PM

You could try putting clear tape (since it is thinner than e-tape I am pretty sure) onto the part where the FBR breaks and that may fix it, but clear tape isn't all that sticky enough.

#21 Thom

Thom

• Members
  • 759 posts

Posted 21 July 2007 - 09:37 PM

I really hate to necro, but wouldn't this thread be a good one to sticky or something? Or at least link somewhere? If it were a gun mod, I'd ask that it be put in the Directory.

#22 Quilan Fett

Quilan Fett

• Members
  • 678 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 12:04 AM

How bout in the Misc. section of the directory?
SNAP Shotgun

This guy can see the future!

QUOTE(pokemaster @ Mar 3 2009, 04:18 PM) View Post

hasbro in a nerf war!!!!! dude the will cancel it and confinscate are guns

#23 Guest_yourface_*

Guest_yourface_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 July 2007 - 02:19 PM

I think it belongs in the Homemades section, or maybe T.H.A. should post it in the Dartmaking thread.

#24 Thom

Thom

• Members
  • 759 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 12:33 AM

Does anyone know of a good, cheap source for the straws online? I checked my local Chinese groceries, but they didn't carry them. That, or I couldn't find the right aisle because the signs weren't in English. ^_^

#25 MithMorchaint

MithMorchaint

• Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 02:46 PM

Does anyone know of a good, cheap source for the straws online? I checked my local Chinese groceries, but they didn't carry them. That, or I couldn't find the right aisle because the signs weren't in English. ^_^

Just google up Jumbo Straw and there's stores that sell em 500 for $7 +S&H

Google is a good online source for anything, Thom.

Edited by MithMorchaint, 23 July 2007 - 02:49 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users