Cheap Laser Nite Finder

No more expensive lasers!

7 replies to this topic

#1 Yazzeh

Yazzeh

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 09:07 PM

Well this is actually the first mod I ever did on the first Nerf gun I ever bought. It was by random chance I came upon this very site while looking up information on the Nite Finder, and thus I was gripped and shoved into the world of modding Nerf guns. Sometimes I'll sit in class and just sketch ideas for a mod.

I was looking through every article and modification and post related to Nite Finders on this forum (just cause) and I noticed that when people did the real laser modification to the Nite Finder, they were looking for an expensive type that used AA batteries, so they could just hook it up to the battery compartment and be done with it. Well when I decided to stuff a laser into my Nite Finder, I had no intention of buying a laser more expensive than a dollar. Of course those dollar lasers use watch batteries, which are ill suited to a double AA battery compartment, so here's a picture of what I did:

Posted Image

Basically, I short circuited one side of the battery compartment with some wire, covered the contact on the compartment cover with melted solder (so it would stick out and touch the batteries):

Posted Image

Cut off a section of the actual laser casing, cut slits into each end of it's tips and folded them to make a conductive filler to fill in the dead space:

Posted Image

And wrapped both the watch batteries and the laser casing in paper to make them the same thickness as AA batteries:

Posted Image

For the laser itself, I sort of screwed it into the original light's case, so I could be sure it was as straight as the factory manufacturing could ensure. The laser comes with a button installed on the chip. Pry it off and connect the two metal contacts with a glob of solder to complete the negative circuit. the positive wire (red) should be tied/soldered to the tip of the laser, where the laser light comes from:

Posted Image

Before you scream at me for the hideous and obviously terribly designed barrel set up, I already know. Like I said before, this was my very first mod, and I've abandoned it for most intents and purposes. Besides, the ammo holders I put on were a huge mistake. Made it heavy and bulky in all the wrong ways. I used some bungee cord instead of elastics on the outside. All of this can be seen here:

Posted Image
Posted Image

I am currently working on an UBERMINIZED Nite Finder. I was playing with the idea of actually sawing off most of the handle, leaving just enough to be flush with the trigger, and then stuffing some 1/2 inch CPVC end-caps into it and then putting in some ready quick loading CPVC barrels with darts in them to use them both as a barrel swap and a removable handle, but I've decided against it for now. Maybe I'll do it the next time I buy an NF.

Edited by Yazzeh, 23 July 2007 - 09:26 PM.

#2 precisionnerfer

precisionnerfer

• Members
  • 323 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 09:16 PM

Could you specify on what wire you used, how you get it to turn on, and what type of laser it was? maybe a link or something?
"Good character is something you cannot fake. And it always comes full circle at the end."
-Piney-
"It is amazing what a bit of conversation can do, as apposed to just *^$(*#*^ about it."
-AJAQ-

#3 Yazzeh

Yazzeh

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 09:21 PM

Could you specify on what wire you used, how you get it to turn on, and what type of laser it was? maybe a link or something?

Wire I used: Some random wire I found laying next to my soldering kit... I honestly don't know what it is. It just works. I think any wire would work, really. The one I used is a little thicker than usual, however.

Turning the laser on: Exactly the same way a stock NF turns it's LED on. By pressing the trigger slightly.

The laser: Just a cheap dollar store laser. They're about the size of a Micro Dart. They can be found in many Dollar General stores, I believe. Just look for a laser that costs a buck. I'm pretty sure there's only one kind, regardless of brand and how it looks on the outside.

Edited by Yazzeh, 23 July 2007 - 09:23 PM.

#4 General Cole

General Cole

• Banned
  • 868 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 09:22 PM

There are also some good cheapies that also have a good LED light at Wal-greens. I think any medium sized wire would work.
We should stop calling out/making fun of/pissing GC off. He's actually contributed and is available for trade. He's a better than average member no doubt. Got your back Cole.
-Nerfer34

You know what... I know it's kinda late... but Props Cole.
-Baghead

#5 precisionnerfer

precisionnerfer

• Members
  • 323 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 09:33 PM

Thanks General and Yazzeh. I might use such a laser or LED on my NF write up.
"Good character is something you cannot fake. And it always comes full circle at the end."
-Piney-
"It is amazing what a bit of conversation can do, as apposed to just *^$(*#*^ about it."
-AJAQ-

#6 Thom

Thom

• Members
  • 759 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 11:05 PM

Most lasers that take button batteries will work just fine with AAs. The important thing is to make sure that you give it the right voltage. The laser in the first NF I modded took two 1.5 V button batteries, so I just hooked it up to the existing battery holders; recently, I've found better lasers that take 4.5 V, so I use three AAAs.

#7 Retiate

Retiate

• Members
  • 778 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 11:27 PM

Would putting up a picture of the laser against a wall show how much it improved?
And what is that on the barrel? Is it a coupler on the end?

I am currently working on an UBERMINIZED Nite Finder. I was playing with the idea of actually sawing off most of the handle, leaving just enough to be flush with the trigger, and then stuffing some 1/2 inch CPVC end-caps into it and then putting in some ready quick loading CPVC barrels with darts in them to use them both as a barrel swap and a removable handle, but I've decided against it for now. Maybe I'll do it the next time I buy an NF.

I remember Davidbowie made a Pocket-Finder. It's pretty close to what you were thinking. Maybe it'll help if you decide to try it out.

#8 Yazzeh

Yazzeh

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 11:35 AM

Would putting up a picture of the laser against a wall show how much it improved?
And what is that on the barrel? Is it a coupler on the end?

I remember Davidbowie made a Pocket-Finder. It's pretty close to what you were thinking. Maybe it'll help if you decide to try it out.

Oh, no, that mod isn't really what I was thinking. See, I'm leaving the trigger on, and just enough of the back of the handle to fit in the curve of your hand. I got the idea for this from a party popper gun:

Posted Image
Posted Image

Yes, that is a coupler on it's end. It was just a test with couplers. Originally, this gun was just 5 inches straight of CPVC, but I wanted to fiddle with a coupler. The set up I have works rather terribly, haha.

Here's a picture of the laser in action:

Posted Image

As for lasers working with AAs, my first hand experience (and ruined lasers) told me that AAs were not going to work for me. They damaged the laser permanently, making the diode many times weaker than it would have been with the 3 button cell batteries I put in. I gave up on using them and developed a way to use the laser's batteries.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users