Da Psp

IS IT GOOD?

31 replies to this topic

#1 Shorty

Shorty

• Banned
  • 157 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 06:27 PM

Resently I was thinking of replacing my GameBoy Micro and 1st generation Iriver Clix. So far the best thing I see is the Sony PSP. I mean it plays videos, games, Pics, Music. The games, even though I heard they suck, I want them just to kill time. I dont know about the music. How good is the quality? I dont plan to get it just yet because I want to get the new slim PSP coming this September. So should I get it? I want your opinions not the electronic freaks at PSP forums. :D
I love imports.
DarkShrimp is the next Piney.
"Ignorance can be fixed. Stupidity is forever."

#2 Thom

Thom

• Members
  • 759 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 07:11 PM

I'd recommend the DS over it. In addition to its inherent advantages, it'll play your old games. It's even cheaper.

#3 nerfboi

nerfboi

• Members
  • 858 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 07:12 PM

I have it. I love it. I just don't use it 24/7. But its good
We Ride together, we die together, Bad boys for life.

#4 Axelion burnout

Axelion burnout

• Members
  • 292 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 07:22 PM

Personally if I were you, I would get the DS, because as stated before you can play all your old games and get some new portable games that are better than the PSP's. I own a PSP, and the music quality is that of an average MP3 player, I really don't know how to rate it. It doesn't suck. However if you don't have an MP3 player or other portable media device, I would suggest getting the PSP because if its media versatility. Most of the games on the PSP are average quality with the exception of a few gems, and the fact that they are phasing out the UMD DVD disks means that you can pick up some DVD's for a cheap price. The only other thing to consider is the price of each portable system.

Just for the record, I love my PSP, and the games I have for it. Loco Roco, Me and My Katamari, Burnout Legends, and WTF are some of my favorite games, but if your into sport games they have some good ones too. I love getting compliments on my White PSP, everyone always asks me where I got it and what I'm playing. I just like to get noticed.

Edited by Axelion_burnout, 22 July 2007 - 07:25 PM.

\,,/(^_^)\,,/

#5 blister

blister

• Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 07:26 PM

If you had gotten it when there was still firmware 2.0 and 1.5, I would have recommended it. The advantages of those firmwares are the abilities to use homebrew applications and play .iso's (I won't divulge). But since there is only 3.0 and others, it doesn't have all those great features. The games are forgettable, and it isn't exactly the most mobile device. If you are going to be using it for music, just get an iPod or Rio. For games, just get a DS.

It was a great purchase for me, at the time it came out, as there were old firmwares, and iPod videos weren't released yet. I enjoy mainly my music and movies on my PSP.
Subvert the Dominant Paradigm.

#6 Shorty

Shorty

• Banned
  • 157 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 07:28 PM

I dont care what games I play. I only had the gameboy Micro, which is my first gameboy ever, for only 5 months. Both my sisters have the DS Lite. They are impressive but they dont play Music! Note I'll still kept my Iriver and Micro. I only have F-zero, Mario Party and Mario Kart. The way i see it, the PSP (Slim) is a Gameboy and MP3 player comebined. Can I get more people's opinions about the PSP's sound on the MP3 Player?
I love imports.

#7 blister

blister

• Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 07:33 PM

Well, actually, the DS is capable of playing music. I forget, but I think you can purchase a cartridge to insert a memory card.

#8 Renegade

Renegade

• Members
  • 536 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 07:54 PM

I use my psp solely for homebrew games and software. And for that it rocks. I also use it to stream movies, songs, and images from my pc. But I do think the ds has way better games. The psp having homebrew capabilities makes it awesome in my eyes.

#9 General Cole

General Cole

• Banned
  • 868 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 08:15 PM

DS has internet. Nuff said.
We should stop calling out/making fun of/pissing GC off. He's actually contributed and is available for trade. He's a better than average member no doubt. Got your back Cole.
-Nerfer34

You know what... I know it's kinda late... but Props Cole.
-Baghead

#10 Shorty

Shorty

• Banned
  • 157 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 08:40 PM

DS has internet. Nuff said.

So does the PSP.

Well, actually, the DS is capable of playing music. I forget, but I think you can purchase a cartridge to insert a memory card.

yeah I saw a girl have it once but it was cheap as hell.

As I see it, I'm gonna get the PSP Slim since its a "almost everything multimedia" player. :D
I love imports.

#11 nerfboi

nerfboi

• Members
  • 858 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 08:50 PM

Where did you hear about hte PSP slim?? Also, is homebrew very dangerous for your PSP if you don't know how to work it?
We Ride together, we die together, Bad boys for life.

#12 CROW

CROW

• Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 08:58 PM

I had a PSP for a while, so I know some of its pros and cons.

Pros:
High Resolution
Large Screen
Internet
Music/Photos
Easy to use

Cons:
Anolog stick was hard to use
Nothing great in the game area
Had trouble with some of the media

But really, why dont you just findd someone that has one, and ask if they could show you it? That way, you could get some first hand experience with the system. Just a thought.
"You can discover what your enemy fears most by observing the means he uses to frighten you."

"ah man, I would give you so much for one of those NIB crossbows or one of those crossbows on the floor. The ones on ebay have gone up to $59 and the shipping alone is $12." -Rip32

#13 Shorty

Shorty

• Banned
  • 157 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 09:04 PM

PSP SLIM Enjoy.

I've played with it once and like it. The size of it isnt so bad. The slim would be even better. :D
I love imports.

#14 blister

blister

• Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 09:12 PM

Also, is homebrew very dangerous for your PSP if you don't know how to work it?

Homebrew can potentially "brick" your PSP and turn into a very expensive doorstop, if you aren't careful. However, I was in 7th grade when I learned about the homebrew scene at pspupdates.com, and very inexperienced with computers, but I learned quickly about downgraders and stuff. As long as you know how to work "winrar", ".eboot files", and ".iso files" and can download safely from your comp, you should be fine. But you should definitely read up on the stuff before you do anything risky.

#15 keef

keef

• Members
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 10:34 PM

Get psp.
Its great.
So is homebrew, so many good games, deal or no deal, DOOM, Trigonometry wars, etc....
It plays movies pretty good, but sound is pretty low unles its a UMD...
Games could be better, but I like the GTA's, Metal Gear, Infected, and Marvel ultimate alliance (shutup, its not shitty its great!).
Pictures!
Great music!
And its made by sony. Sony= quality
AND They're coming out with the psp "slim/ lite" in like November, but just get one now.
Timothy M-Lick <3

#16 nerfsharpie6

nerfsharpie6

• Members
  • 326 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 10:41 PM

As people stated above get the PSP. Why because of the reasons stated above. But for the fact that Nintendo will be discontinuing the Gameboy franchise of the corporation (god I love G4 and E3). So if you want to get stuck with a DS at the end of the year then get it, but PSP seems to be going far of lates and it could only get better. But its your decision.
We hang our flags and banners of victory off of your dead bodies.

#17 Thom

Thom

• Members
  • 759 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 12:18 AM

Um, source? Why would they discontinue their portables when they're making boatloads of money and leading the market?

#18 six-five-two

six-five-two

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 02:09 AM

Nintendo DS.

#19 sourskttles772

sourskttles772

• Banned
  • 263 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 08:23 AM

Most people think it suck because they dont know how to use all the features. Like if you arent good with computers the only thing you will be able to do is play games. If you know how to use them its great. The internet is useful. But wait for the psp2 to come out.
http://nerfon.smffor...3.com/index.php
One man Clan:
I saw the Crossbow re-release on the shelf at my local Target, but I didn't want to tell anyone because I wanted them all to myself. I hid them all behind Dora the Explorer toys....
[/quote]

#20 keef

keef

• Members
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 11:10 AM

Thom- Its called a "Blog" like pspupdates.qj.net or psp-news.dcemu.co.uk all the homebrew, game, and developer news you could need. They're stopping the "Gameboy" franchise because the DS "Prints Money" and little kiddy games.

Sourskttles772- I say buy this PSP, because the next one will probably take a WHILE to unlease homebrew and custom firmware because Fanjita and Dax left...

Anyone else- Do homebrew, If you wreck your shit you
A) Can't read
or
:D Suck with computers

Just return it to wherever you bought it, if you have warrenty, and say you woke up one day and now it won't turn on.
Timothy M-Lick <3

#21 WratH

WratH

• Members
  • 388 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 01:37 PM

I'd say get a Nintendo DS with a DS-X cartridge. It makes up for anything PSP has over the DS, you can just download any game you want, transfer it to your DS-X and play them, play music, video, homebrew, you name it.
www.ds-x.com

My friend has one and it's definitely cool. Kinda sucks that you can't expand the memory though.
Death be not proud. Though some have called the mighty and dreadful... Thou art not so.

#22 Thom

Thom

• Members
  • 759 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 02:32 PM

Thom- Its called a "Blog" like pspupdates.qj.net or psp-news.dcemu.co.uk all the homebrew, game, and developer news you could need. They're stopping the "Gameboy" franchise because the DS "Prints Money" and little kiddy games.

Um, it's been clear since the DS became successful that it would eventually replace the GBA just like the GBA replaced the GBC and the GBC replaced the original. The only difference is that the DS doesn't have the words "Game Boy" in it. That does not affect a DS recommendation. To say that this would result in someone being "stuck with a DS at the end of the year" is pure FUD.

Also, a PSP blog does not count as a reliable source for Nintendo's future business plans any more than Fake Steve Jobs counts as a source for Microsoft's.

#23 six-five-two

six-five-two

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 04:56 PM

Wrath... no, just no. The DS-X is possibly the worst choice ever. It is expensive and it is internal memory, so you can't expand anything. Buy an R4DS. It has built in cheats, video and audio support aswell, and of course.. allows ROMs (games).

I heard somewhere that the PSP2 is just somewhat the same as a PSP. The PSP2 is basically like a Nintendo DS Lite, same thing but nicer looking.

#24 WratH

WratH

• Members
  • 388 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 05:33 PM

Yup that definitely looks a lot cooler... the one thing I would have improved on it from my use was being able to put an SD card in it. R4 looks sweet.
Death be not proud. Though some have called the mighty and dreadful... Thou art not so.

#25 stewy

stewy

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 09:08 PM

Trust me when i say this.......psp

It's a million times better then the nintendo DS and maybe a standard iPOD. Trust me, the psp is soo worth it! Some people don't no that the psp can play PS 1 games on it by downgrading. And also you can watch tv (so i've heard). Then there are the other stuff: videos, movies, music, games, photos, large screen, internet...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users