Night Warfare

My weapon for Night Wars

31 replies to this topic

#1 CAP Blue Beret

CAP Blue Beret

• Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 04:03 PM

As most of you know, I love playing nerf in the dark. My freinds and I do a lot of indoor night wars, and we usually go room to room. I have created a "Flash Gun" and "Flash Stick," that would have the affect of a fkash bang grenade, just without the bang. Both of these will blind a person for several seconds, alowing you to shoot or capture them.

The Flash Gun:

The Flash Gun is a Night Finder with everything but the triger and batery case gone. I then put the electronics from a fire fly, the flash bulb, switch, wires, etc. inside the NF. After soldering the wires into place, and puting the LED used in the laser, in place of the "On" light, I got this:

Posted Image

The on off switch:

Posted Image

The "On" light:

Posted Image

The Flash Bulb:

Posted Image

The Flash Stick:

The Flash Stick is a pump from a broken hornet, with the electronics from a disposible camera, and wires going to the bottom of the stick. The ruber bands hold the battery when I'm not using it. The front has a button that you push to charge the flash, and the back has a light to let you know when you can fire. To fire you cross the wires.

The Stick:

Posted Image

The back of the stick:

Posted Image

The wires:

Posted Image

Questions? Comments? Suggestions?
Check out NerfNation

#2 hierarchy

hierarchy

• Members
  • 336 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 04:15 PM

That is a good idea but how much lite does it give off? Is the light enough to light up the room for a second?
QUOTE(Retiate @ Aug 13 2007, 08:43 PM) View Post

I guess you have some heavy duty industrial strength toilet paper holders. Do they advise you to wear eye protection when changing rolls?

My TTG mod.

#3 King Of Butt Land

King Of Butt Land

• Banned
  • 324 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 04:32 PM

Your trying to make nerf a painful tactical simulation. Don't.

-Butt
QUOTE(Puppy-§layer @ Dec 18 2008, 04:22 AM) View Post

This contest may have some flaws, as people can simply be a deuschbag over the internet. By Lying.

A war-like setting/invitational would be better...

#4 BustaNinja

BustaNinja

• Members
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 05:01 PM

You just put the electronics from the firefly into a NF. why not keep them in the Firefly and be able to shoot aswell?
Me: Yeah. he beat a hooker
Venom: Haven't we all?

#5 General Cole

General Cole

• Banned
  • 868 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 05:21 PM

Well one problem, if the FF flash can blind them, they will see the "ON" light.
We should stop calling out/making fun of/pissing GC off. He's actually contributed and is available for trade. He's a better than average member no doubt. Got your back Cole.
-Nerfer34

You know what... I know it's kinda late... but Props Cole.
-Baghead

#6 Thom

Thom

• Members
  • 759 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 05:29 PM

Neat idea, though anyone flashed might be tempted to hit you at point blank with a singled Titan. It sort of reminds me of a mod I'm working on: I'm putting a 3-LED maglite, a small 1-LED light, and a laser into my NF (without removing the gun part). Actually, I'm hoping to put the whole thing into a Scout at some point, NF firing tube included.

#7 frost vectron

frost vectron

• Members
  • 526 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 05:44 PM

I'd like to chime in here, having played in pitch black conditions a couple of times.

When you're in complete darkness, your eyes adjust rapidly to pick up any change in light. I had a keychain flashlight that blinked very quickly (some raver's type of light or something). After about half an hour of pure darkness, I turned it on and threw it toward a stairway. It completely messed with the other team's eyes.

Of course, the deal only worked once. After people started to expect it, it lost its surprise.

The firefly flash is very bright, but on a firefly it is pointed downwards at the barrel turret and not outwards towards the enemy.

I suggest you remove the "on" light because it gives you away completely. You could also make it so you can toggle the "on" light on or off. Pretend that it has to be on. Your buddies will think the red light is an easy way to find you. Then turn it off one game and put a small LED module somewhere, showing the red light. Everybody will think you are camping there. Mind games at its best.
Latest Modification: The Professional

"I am a leaf on the wind--watch how I soar" - Hoban "Wash" Washburne, Serenity.

#8 CAP Blue Beret

CAP Blue Beret

• Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 05:57 PM

The light can fill a room for a second, but the blinding affect only works from 5 feet. I would use this while coming through a door. Then each team member would flash the corner of the room that they cover. in this way everyone in the room is flashed.

The reason that I didn't just use the FF was that it is to big, plus the light is pointed at the barrels, and not at the front.

The on light is at the back of the gun, so they shouldn't see it. Also, the light would be turned on just before entering a room, so as long as you're fast, they wont see you.

One more thing: The flash stick is made for flashing around the corner, also it can flash 3 times brighter then the flash gun.
Check out NerfNation

#9 General Cole

General Cole

• Banned
  • 868 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 06:42 PM

Still a strange red glow would give you away, it would be shining on you.
We should stop calling out/making fun of/pissing GC off. He's actually contributed and is available for trade. He's a better than average member no doubt. Got your back Cole.
-Nerfer34

You know what... I know it's kinda late... but Props Cole.
-Baghead

#10 Thom

Thom

• Members
  • 759 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 07:13 PM

Also, I seem to remember the FF's light making a high-pitched noise while charging.

#11 CAP Blue Beret

CAP Blue Beret

• Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 08:05 PM

Well the recharge noise isn't that loud, and you would only get to see the red for a second. Plus this is turned on just before you open a door and enter a room the enemy is in side. If the enemy is outside, you have bigger problems to worry about.
Check out NerfNation

#12 PvtMcFlurry

PvtMcFlurry

• Members
  • 353 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 09:28 PM

So you built a homemade flash grenade or is this just an instant flash of light that messes with the eyes momentarily?
QUOTE(Cannonball @ Oct 26 2007, 11:47 PM) View Post

I'm anxiously awaiting the hasbro over throw.

One Man Clan, or One Man Company?

Crossbow Mod.

#13 CAP Blue Beret

CAP Blue Beret

• Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 10:15 PM

This is an instant flash. I am working on a "Flash grenade," but would rather have a bang to go along with it.
Check out NerfNation

#14 Gyrvalcon

Gyrvalcon

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 11:31 PM

And it could doubles as a cattle prod!

But seriously, from my experience with camera innards, those flash circuits can build up a potentially painful charge, so be careful where you wave it.
-Knowledge Is Power-

#15 AJAQ

AJAQ

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 11:58 AM

^ He isn't kidding.

You can actually be killed by the charge stored in a camera capacitor.

I would take care as to isolate the capacitors well.
~AJAQ~

#16 Maeric

Maeric

• Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 03:31 PM

While i don't think that the camera, even in its evolved tasser form has enough power to kill, it does store about 300 volts after being modified, and that can put a full grown man on the ground in tears, and might be enough to make you pass out from the pain. Don't mess with that shit unless you try to shock yourself from every angle with it. Well, that meaning that you know its safe... Unless you have a vendetta with the other team... hehehe....

The idea is good, the method is not.
Active on H3Artificer as Halacar. GT: Halacar send me an invite if you wanna forge.
I'm amazing at Forza3! I destroyed the engine of a 2mil C car by downshifting! YAY!
I hate you. And all noobs who are like "OMFG i r liek, glued sh1t 2 shit. jak offf ma ego. NAOW!"

#17 bjack

bjack

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 05:39 PM

I accidentally shocked myself once with a flash charged camera. I couldn't move my arms for about 10 minutes but there really weren't any lasting effects.

#18 CAP Blue Beret

CAP Blue Beret

• Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 11:22 PM

Yeah, the flash stick has a very anoying shock while charging. My dad was playing with it, and didn't realize what part he was holding. He got shocked, but not enough to faint or die. Anyway, it could use some perfection, but doesn't everything?
Check out NerfNation

#19 Alex Bock

Alex Bock

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 09:45 PM

I guess I don't understand why indoor, nightime wars aren't all that popular.

Personaly in the small bit of messing around that my friends and I have done the most fun we had was a 4 vs 4 in my friends house [it's big] we just moved anything breakable or valuble [dog] and then turned of all the lights in the house except 2 bedrooms we used as a base for the teams. Then we just duct taped small flashlights to our guns and then wa-la 5 hours of non-stop fun while his parents were gone. Then obviously we just turned on the lights, picked up and were done with it.

?

[-> alex <-]
babyb@lasertagguy.com
http://www.myspace.com/bock_boy
[-> Alex <-]

#20 Thom

Thom

• Members
  • 759 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 09:59 PM

Probably because of the likelihood of breaking stuff. Of course, the best war I've ever been in was midnight to 5 AM in the UB Student Union, but the lights were on.

#21 Alex Bock

Alex Bock

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 10:19 PM

I understand that but as long as you remove the breakables, and have at least a flashlight so that you're not bumping into tables and chairs then you're good to go.

[-> alex <-]
babyb@lasertagguy.com
[-> Alex <-]

#22 CAP Blue Beret

CAP Blue Beret

• Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 11:46 PM

Well, I like having night wars inside and outside. One team starts outside and moves on the team inside. To add to the fun we open the windows up, that way we can shoot or climb through them.
Check out NerfNation

#23 Alex Bock

Alex Bock

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 02:41 PM

That's fun, I really hadn't thought about that.

[-> alex <-]
babyb@lasertagguy.com
[-> Alex <-]

#24 um6kay

um6kay

• Banned
  • 16 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 11:03 PM

I thought I was the only one who did this. Mine is better because it shoots......(far).It flashes before I shoot.

Edited by um6kay, 04 April 2008 - 11:03 PM.

#25 Groove

Groove

Certified Badass

• Founders
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 11:06 PM

Please refrain from necro'ing old topics. This will be your only warning.

Thanks,

-The Management

PINEY EDIT: Sorry bro, he was warned already. I fixed it for ya.

"Too close for missiles, I'm switchin' to guns"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users