Photo

A Different Kind Of Crossbow...

Not a springer, not an air-powered either.

20 replies to this topic

#1 AssassinNF

AssassinNF

• Members
  • 904 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 06:27 PM

I was at Toys 'R' Us a few days ago, and I saw this incredibly goofy looking crossbow made by Prime Time Toys. It looked like a joke, but I decided to give it a shot:

Posted Image

I opened it up, and I discovered it doesn't use a spring. Instead it has an elastic cord on the inside that works just like a spring, but it's completely silent in comparison. I decided to modify it with a coupler, and then give it a stock and a pistol grip, and this is what I ended up with:

Posted Image

I gave it a 9" SCH 80 PVC barrel with 7" of 17/32 Brass nested inside it, and its performance shocked me. Firing Longshot darts (with BB's in the tips) It gets 100' ranges (slightly angled), it's silent enough that you can't hear it being fired at you :P , and it's accurate out to 90'. I slapped 6 ammo holders on it and painted it black, and it became my new favorite scumbag.

Here are some closer pics of it:

Posted Image
Posted Image

And a size comparison with my Double Titan:

Posted Image

And yes, the barrel is angled upward slightly. It was an accident, but it gave it a little extra range, so I left it like that.

Questions? Comments?

Edited by AssassinNF, 15 July 2007 - 06:30 PM.

Probably dead by now, or something.

#2 lionhead333

lionhead333

Aslan

• Members
  • 252 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 07:12 PM

Give me a writeup.
I saw that thing a few months ago, but thought it looked pathetic. Great job, now I have to buy one.
QUOTE(Ubermensch)
If I were you, I wouldn't mess with the mods, or make stupid mistakes like misspelling their names. I mean, CAVV is really tough on that kind of thing

Most recent write up-
Sharpshooter 2

#3 Carbon

Carbon

Contriberator

• Moderators
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 07:24 PM

Very nice work...I never would have thought that that gun had it in it. Did you trim the external cord, or does it have another one inside?

But even beyond that...you used "loser" and had it work. Huh.
Hello. I am Indigo of the Rainbow Clan. You Nerfed my father. Prepare to die.

#4 Guest_DarkInfection_*

Guest_DarkInfection_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2007 - 07:58 PM

Dang, I saw that thing too. I thought it would be a POS, but I guess not.

#5 The Crackerjack Man

The Crackerjack Man

• Members
  • 203 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 08:33 PM

Pretty much what everyone else said "wow". I realy thought this was one of those knock off guns that would fall apart. I've seen these at walmart and dollar general for $1 obviously. Ill probaly buy two now. Thanks for the information AssassinNF.
"Wow, you realy screwed that guy over"

#6 AssassinNF

AssassinNF

• Members
  • 904 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 08:45 PM

Very nice work...I never would have thought that that gun had it in it. Did you trim the external cord, or does it have another one inside?

But even beyond that...you used "loser" and had it work. Huh.

I know! Three times before then I just walked right by it and ignored it, thinking it was a piece of shit. I guess I decided to give it a shot out of boredom and curiosity...

I didn't trim the extrenal cord. I simply relocated it. But yes, it does have an internal cord, the external cord is only for returning the bolt to the forward position and keeping it there.

Also, if you trim the external cord, it won't be long enough to allow the gun to cock.

And for "loser", I just replaced the i with a lowercase L...

Give me a writeup.

I just did. All you do is cut off the original barrel and put a coupler on it. The rest is just a PVC stock/pistol grip I fabricated.

For removing the purple crossbow arms, just cut the loops holding the cord on (cut the plastic, not the cord), open up the gun, remove the purple things, and reattach the cord to the screw posts where the arms used to be.

Thanks to everyone for all the compliments! :P

EDIT:

Pretty much what everyone else said "wow". I realy thought this was one of those knock off guns that would fall apart. I've seen these at walmart and dollar general for $1 obviously. Ill probaly buy two now. Thanks for the information AssassinNF.

$1!? O.o This thing was $20 at TRU. I'm going to start looking at Dollar General now.

Edited by AssassinNF, 15 July 2007 - 08:52 PM.

#7 shadowkid33

shadowkid33

• Members
  • 633 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 09:00 PM

What the hell.......that's amazing results. I've seen that gun in stores a ton of times, but I've never acctually given it a second glance. I must find it now.

Edited by shadowkid33, 15 July 2007 - 09:00 PM.

how the heck do you make a double clip?

Here are the steps.
1. Go to the search button in the right corner of the screen
2. Click
3. Search double longshot clip.

i dont have time, jeez, im new here!

#8 bpso86

bpso86

• Members
  • 618 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 09:24 PM

'90 feet? Seriously? People have used that weapon with a barrel replacement and tag darts and gotten about dtg ranges... But you did say that the angle of the barrel did help a little.

Still, doesn't look too bad.

#9 AssassinNF

AssassinNF

• Members
  • 904 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 09:36 PM

'90 feet? Seriously? People have used that weapon with a barrel replacement and tag darts and gotten about dtg ranges... But you did say that the angle of the barrel did help a little.

Still, doesn't look too bad.

Firing Tagger darts with a tagger barrel, this thing would get 40-60'

I get 90-100' firing Longshot darts out of a 9" 17/32 Brass/sch80 PVC barrel.

And these results are with no modification to the plunger AT ALL. If someone picks up one of these, and finds a way to modify the plunger, this thing could be amazing.

#10 Thom

Thom

• Members
  • 759 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 10:49 PM

This gun is indeed awesome. Someone asked me to mod their for UBCon, and I just shoved some spare 17/32 brass in it – it outranged anything at the war.

#11 Retiate

Retiate

• Members
  • 778 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 10:58 PM

This thing has a catch right? It's not one of those pull and release guns? It looks real nice, I might have to pick one up and see what I can do to it.

#12 Thom

Thom

• Members
  • 759 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 12:38 AM

It has a catch, although I recall its being finicky.

#13 OfAllTheNerf

OfAllTheNerf

• Members
  • 714 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 05:51 AM

Well, if the catch is strong, you could buy two and but both elastics on one. Then you could probably be getting Crossbow ranges...

That's just amazing, though. If I ever get one (I will get two), I'm going to try putting both elastics on one, and increasing the seal on the plunger.
[color=#FF6600][Finesse]-[BitchX]

#14 nerfer34

nerfer34

• Members
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 08:38 AM

WHAT!?

This thing isn't really a good gun. The catch isn't good. The spring is WEAK.

I don't know how you get 100' by singling it.

One thing I noticed is that without that elastic it loses a lot of power.

There is also a remake of this gun that is blue.

I like what you did to make it have a grip and make the trigger normal. That's pretty cool. I will open mine up again to double check and see if I messed my mod up somehow.

Edited by nerfer34, 16 July 2007 - 08:57 AM.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->God Damn it Groove, you stole my kill.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->-OMC

#15 foamforce123

foamforce123

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 10:12 AM

Hey! I did that exact same thing! Darnit!!!!!!! I was going to post a write up. Oh well.
Deal wit it.

#16 Flaming Hilt

Flaming Hilt

• Members
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 11:41 AM

Bungee cords. Of course. I think Davidbowie did something with those once...

I'd be impressed if it was a springer, but bungee cords having the history that they do I'm not surprised. May have to finish that crossbow I set in the back of my workshop now...

Nice.
" Beneath this mask there is more than flesh, Mr. Creedy. Beneath this mask there is an idea...
...and ideas are bulletproof. "
V

#17 AssassinNF

AssassinNF

• Members
  • 904 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 06:38 PM

WHAT!?

This thing isn't really a good gun. The catch isn't good. The spring is WEAK.

I don't know how you get 100' by singling it.

One thing I noticed is that without that elastic it loses a lot of power.

There is also a remake of this gun that is blue.

I like what you did to make it have a grip and make the trigger normal. That's pretty cool. I will open mine up again to double check and see if I messed my mod up somehow.

The trigger is finicky, but alot of guns have picky triggers. (BBB, both ERTL shotguns, and even some Longshots) This thing outranges my BBB's, my Longshot, and even some of my AT3K's, and with the long barrel, it's almost silent when firing. Don't say it's not a good gun. It can't compare to a real Nerf Crossbow, but it is still impressive.

stick a 10" 17/32 brass barrel on it, load a stefan or longshot dart into it, and fire a slightly angled shot. 100'

Without the elastic, it wouldn't have ANY POWER AT ALL. The elastic on the inside of the plunger is the only thing propelling the dart. The elastic on the outside does nothing besides keep the bolt in the forward postion.

Yes, the Pistol grip and Stock I added are what make this thing so functional in the first place. Without those, it was pretty awkward to hold and fire.

Well, if the catch is strong, you could buy two and but both elastics on one. Then you could probably be getting Crossbow ranges...

That's just amazing, though. If I ever get one (I will get two), I'm going to try putting both elastics on one, and increasing the seal on the plunger.

The catch is fairly strong, but it is also very finicky. You may have to do something to reinforce it.

Also, the plunger tube is completely enclosed, and I don't know if there is a way to get it open without breaking it.

Bungee cords. Of course. I think Davidbowie did something with those once...

I'd be impressed if it was a springer, but bungee cords having the history that they do I'm not surprised. May have to finish that crossbow I set in the back of my workshop now...

Nice.

Haha, yes, Bungee Cords. though I doubt that they are really Bungee cords. They are about as thick as shoe-laces, and they are the same cords used on the outside of the gun.

Thanks for all the responses!

#18 FLNerfGunner

FLNerfGunner

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 06:58 PM

I think you should make a write up on it. Great job.

#19 Redmark

Redmark

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 12:27 AM

I completely agree with reinforcing the catch, because I owned one for a while and after a couple 100 shots it broke. I would probably add more foam to add longevity to this crossbow :P
Non-Expanding Recreational Foam

#20 rork

rork

• Members
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 12:35 AM

You just necroed big time. Next time, check the date; eventually, an admin WILL pull your intestines out through your throat. ~Rork
<a href="http://nerfhaven.com...howtopic=20296" target="_blank">SNAPbow Mk. V</a>
<a href="http://nerfhaven.com...howtopic=20409" target="_blank">Make it pump-action</a>

#21 Norther of Heaven

Norther of Heaven

• Members
  • 349 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 12:36 AM

Love it when POS-looking guns end up being deadly.
"I don't always drink beer. But when I do,
I beat my wife."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users