What Is Your Style Of Play?

And what weaponry do you use for it?

31 replies to this topic

#1 CROW

CROW

• Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 02:21 PM

You'll notice I'm not asking what position you play. In the middle of a war, an individual may play many positions. What I am asking is what is your prefered way of playing, whether it be an all-out agressive, on the move player, or a more cautious, fewer-risks player. And of course, which guns you use to compliment that style of play.

I personally prefer to use stealth an ambush techniques when I play. I'll normally carry around a long range weapon, such as my 3' blowgun or my crossbow (once its arrives and has been modded). As a side-arm, I use a cut down NF.
"You can discover what your enemy fears most by observing the means he uses to frighten you."

"ah man, I would give you so much for one of those NIB crossbows or one of those crossbows on the floor. The ones on ebay have gone up to $59 and the shipping alone is $12." -Rip32

#2 ultra920

ultra920

• Members
  • 272 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 02:55 PM

i call it crazy ass bastard. I'm always running, landing all my shots. I reload on the go. I use the BuzzBee Tommy Tech 20, with a TTG modded to be a shotgun. :)
There is no Ultra, only a 920.

PSN: ultra920 MGO:ultra920 shoot me an MGO invite if you play

#3 lionhead333

lionhead333

Aslan

• Members
  • 252 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 03:17 PM

Be it airsoft, paintball, or nerf, I have no preferred style. I fill in wherever needed, have fun, and (If I say so myself) am pretty good at everything.
My weapons are as follows.
All out- Magstrike with extra clips.
On the move- Longshot with extra clips
Cautious- At3k with homemade turret.
QUOTE(Ubermensch)
If I were you, I wouldn't mess with the mods, or make stupid mistakes like misspelling their names. I mean, CAVV is really tough on that kind of thing

Most recent write up-
Sharpshooter 2

#4 hierarchy

hierarchy

• Members
  • 336 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 03:37 PM

I usualy am the person that keeps close to the main oppenet. I wait until he fires off the first shot then I rush him. Eather that or I back up a friend when he is in need of reloading a gun. I usually use a SM1500 or a AT2K. But now I will most likely use a SM3K or a WF because I just got them at Good Will.
QUOTE(Retiate @ Aug 13 2007, 08:43 PM) View Post

I guess you have some heavy duty industrial strength toilet paper holders. Do they advise you to wear eye protection when changing rolls?

My TTG mod.

#5 Thom

Thom

• Members
  • 759 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 08:58 AM

It's likely because most of my nerfing has been with non-modders, but I tend to stay at longer ranges. I like to take time to line up my shots.

#6 Death

Death

Ass-Kicking Overlord

• Contributors
  • 226 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 12:26 PM

You guys are lucky. I don't often peek my head out and post. When I do, it's usually to hail the virtues of the Manta Ray. This occasion is no exception. Now, pay attention:

I'm a Shield Guard.

I position myself slightly ahead of my teammates, and draw fire from the opponents. I wield a Manta Ray and a sidearm (usually LnL or NF) in my left hand and my primary (Crossbow, Longshot, or occasionally a second pistol) in my right. Combining cover, dodging, and blocking with the Ray, my role is to prevent my teammates from being shot. I'm positioned at the forward during an advance, and at the rear during a retreat or a regrouping.

By offering myself forward, the opponent has little choice but to fire on me. Firstly, I'm the closest target. Secondly, if they ignore me to draw aim on my teammates, they open themselves up to my own fire. Thirdly, it is nigh impossible for my opponent to reposition forward with me standing in the way.

The Manta Ray is nearly one-square-foot of adjustable coverage. Even if you aren't skilled at blocking shots in mid-flight, a proper stance with the Manta Ray will protect your entire torso from frontal attack-- suddenly your largest target region is completely invulnerable to enemy fire. Your legs become the next largest target region, meaning you should be at least decent at dodging darts before attempting this strategy. After your legs, your head becomes the next most prominent target, since your arms are mostly covered by the Ray. As a result, don't get pissed off it you're playing in this manner and someone shoots you in the face. It will happen.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: I am thoroughly amazed that more people haven't started using a Manta Ray. It's the best damn gun in this game.

DEATH

Let a man never stir on his road a step
without his weapons of war;
for unsure is the knowing when need shall arise
of a spear on the way without.  --Hávamál 38

#7 nerfer34

nerfer34

• Members
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 12:59 PM

In response to Death's question,
1) Manta Rays are pretty hard to obtain.
2) They really aren't a powerful blaster, its really only good for blocking(with the exception of the Sicklefin).
3)Some people find it uncomfortable
4) Some people don't want to have a shield, maybe its kinda boring?

If the Manta Ray is allowed then why can't people build homeade shields? I think the Manta Ray is fair, but I would never use it during a war. In my opinion, I would much rather just shoot a person without carrying a shield. But if people are good enough with it, then why not?

I also think(for me atleast) it is easier to just dodge a dart, then block it.
<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->God Damn it Groove, you stole my kill.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->-OMC

#8 ultra920

ultra920

• Members
  • 272 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 01:06 PM

it takes more skill to dodge then to block. I always do the matrix style lean back. And, if i block, i use a regular gun.

#9 Death

Death

Ass-Kicking Overlord

• Contributors
  • 226 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 01:19 PM

In response to Death's question,
1) Manta Rays are pretty hard to obtain.

Bah. They aren't that difficult. They pop up at Yard Sales all the freakin' time. But, this is the best excuse of the lot, to be sure.

2) They really aren't a powerful blaster, its really only good for blocking(with the exception of the Sicklefin).

I haven't fired my Manta Ray in ten years. Hell, all four plunger rods snapped on me a damned long time ago. It doesn't need to fire to be the best damned gun in the game.

3)Some people find it uncomfortable

Understandable. Just takes some getting used to. Minor discomfort as compared to protecting oneself from 30-to-50% of all shots fired at you? It's well worth it.

4) Some people don't want to have a shield, maybe its kinda boring?

This isn't a freakin' SWAT riot shield. It's less than one square foot. Anyone who thinks its use might be boring has never seen it put to proper effect.

If the Manta Ray is allowed then why can't people build homeade shields?

Because homemade shields are not the Manta Ray. The Manta Ray is the only Nerf weapon specifically designed to act as a shield, and therefore, it is the only equipment specifically allowed to act as a shield. If people were allowed to make homemade shields, you'd end up with full-body coverage cardboard boredom. It would be abused.

I think the Manta Ray is fair, but I would never use it during a war. In my opinion, I would much rather just shoot a person without carrying a shield.

Why? The Ray does not hinder your aim, in any capacity. Hitting someone while carrying the Ray counts just as much as hitting them without carrying the Ray. That's like saying, "I'd rather just shoot a person without dodging incoming shots." There's no shame in playing the game as it was designed to be played.

I also think(for me atleast) it is easier to just dodge a dart, then block it.

Absolutely! It's taken me years to acquire the skill I've developed with the Ray. It's not a simple concept, especially when contending against several opponents. However, I'll remind you that these are not mutually exclusive concepts. You can (and should) dodge, block, and utilize cover all at the same time.

DEATH

#10 TJ

TJ

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 01:21 PM

And, if i block, i use a regular gun.

You may find that counts as a hit in a war.

Anyway to add to the topic, I've played two roles that I enjoyed and have palyed as again, The machine gunner and the crazy ass stalker. The machine gunner is self explanatory, the guy with the automatic weapon. Now in this poition I've used just about everything from my brand spankin' new Magstrike, to my old, faithful, yet oddly crusty Razorbeast. Now the stalker role is also how it sounds, you stalk the other team. Now I've used this in two ways, surprise attacks and simple recon (as in find out which way they're heading and point that way to your mates in the base). Now with recon you only need something small like a pistol since you only need something if they figure out where you are. I use a NF plain and simple. Now with surprise attacks, I use a Longshot because of it's high rate of fire (and I think it's sexy) or a Magstrike because of its ability to unlaod a clip of holy foam in seconds, and mostly cause I like red.

Edited by T.J., 12 July 2007 - 01:37 PM.

Rambo: Sir, do we get to win this time?
Trautman: This time? This time it's up to you.

#11 Death

Death

Ass-Kicking Overlord

• Contributors
  • 226 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 01:25 PM

it takes more skill to dodge then to block. I always do the matrix style lean back. And, if i block, i use a regular gun.

If that's allowed where you play, that's all well and good. But, generally, all of the wars I've ever been to throughout this country do not allow you to block incoming shots with your gun, unless it is the Manta Ray.

DEATH

#12 The Shadow

The Shadow

• Members
  • 136 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 01:55 PM

Back on topic, I don't really have a style of play but rather use different guns depending on the type of game. For example, when playing elimination I'd use my longshot because its has a good ROF and good range, for CTF while defending I'd use my X-Bow because I'm not on the move making it harder to reload.
I'm just concerned that NH could be held liable when Ted inevitably ties this kid up and sticks him in his trunk for safe keeping. Seriously, Parkway, you might want to think about carrying a tazer.

#13 aguineapig

aguineapig

• Banned
  • 84 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 03:28 PM

I usually try to mix things up when it comes to my playing style. One thing i noticed is that if you start the game playing one style (for me its very reserved and defensive), then randomly switch to something else i like to start freaking out and just being really random. Like always. :D

Edited by aguineapig, 12 July 2007 - 03:35 PM.

fun-petitive!

Her brother literally almost pissed herself.

DO NOT CLICK!!

#14 ultra920

ultra920

• Members
  • 272 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 06:58 PM

unless it is the Manta Ray.

well, what if i duct tape a manta ray to a gun? Ever thought of that?

I'd use my X-Bow because I'm not on the move making it harder to reload.

Wait, NOT being on the move makes reloding harder?

#15 nerfturtle

nerfturtle

• Members
  • 223 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 07:06 PM

No, he means that being on tha move makes it harder to reload, it just wasn't phrased very well. On topic, I play however I need to play. Using either my 3b or 2k I have tons of options of what I want to do. One of my favorite things to do is load the 2k's barrel's up shotty-style and run around close quarters blasting everybody with 3-4 shots at a time.
The tough coughs as he ploughs the dough.
-Dr. Suess

#16 DX-Robert

DX-Robert

formerly DX

• Members
  • 679 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 10:40 PM

I have a somewhat unique fighting style. I use my water war fighting style in Nerf, as I usually find myself facing guns with too much of a range advantage [my Longshot shooting 70 vs a Crossbow shooting 130]. Since the last big Nerf war I attended, I have progressed deeper into the "Fluid level" fighting I use in water gun wars. This style calls upon constant, quick movement, weaving in and out of dense cover [hence the elf antics at Apoc], feigned aggression/weakness in order to feel out the opposing players' styles, and use of mobility to force short-to-middle range engagements [or just to flank]. When rushed, I tend to run away, but not out of intimidation, rather to preserve the fighting ranges I want. I also like random actions, such as running around to a far edge, holding, and then falling back, just to see how the opposing team reacts. That knowledge becomes useful later in a round/war.

While skilled players can overcome this style, I've found that several nerfers didn't know exactly how to counter it since it's not a style of play they'd otherwise face. In the few major wars I've attended, I've found it rare not to survive to the end of each round. There were a few rounds at the first BCNO that I finished with all 3 lives.

I typically use my Longshot for the ROF and the range which is good enough to hold my own in middle-range stand-offs. My recently modded nitefiner will see action in two days as a light sidearm. Regardless of the game type [3:15, CTF, deathmatch, whatever] I'd use the same guns.

United Nerf Ops - The premier northeast US nerf club serving the tristate area (NY, NJ, CT)
NYC Nerf Ops - Nerf in New York City itself
NJ Nerf Ops - Nerf in New Jersey
CT Nerf Ops - Nerf in Connecticut

UNO also has a Discord server, DM me on Discord to join (@vincentdrake)

-----------------------------------------------
My other groups:
Nerf Thrifters - A group for posting thrifts and other second-hand finds

#17 AssassinNF

AssassinNF

• Members
  • 904 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 01:40 AM

Indoor:

I tend to be dangerously random indoors. I pop out of nowhere, shoot you at least twice before you can react, and then disapear behind some corner. I also have a tendency to jump extremely high for no reason at all. My weapons of choice for this style of play are either a DTG or my double nite-finder.

Outdoor:

Wildly rushing people: Longshot with 13 round clip - prefered style of play.
Silent Long-range killing: My Crossbow-Rifle. It's not a nerf crossbow, but it certainly gets the job done.
Hunting down one person or scaring the shit out of people: My Double titan. You can't miss with that 6-shot 80' blast.

Probably dead by now, or something.

#18 BustaNinja

BustaNinja

• Members
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 01:22 AM

I mostly play indoors so I can't do crazy ass bastard as stated before (though it is fun) so I end up leading the team through my friends house with room clearing. And to do this, I use my LS and maveric. I don't need range so I use mav because of the ROF and I love my LS. All cometically pimped out. (well soon to be anyhow. by saturday night it will be pimped)
Me: Yeah. he beat a hooker
Venom: Haven't we all?

#19 Evil

Evil

Fucking Copout

• Members
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 09:59 AM

Just win, baby. Just win.
2007 Great American GoreFest Champion (Aug. 4, Apoc)

#20 ultra920

ultra920

• Members
  • 272 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 10:45 AM

I try to distract my opponents by yelling "oliolioooooo!" Bonus points if you get it. They go "huh?" Then i fill them with foam. Great strategy for fighting idiots. And for the blocking, seriously, is duct taping a manta ray to a gun legal in most wars? I don't know because mine don't make sense. Thats the whole fun of it. ;)

#21 precisionnerfer

precisionnerfer

• Members
  • 323 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 01:41 PM

I like to get a 10 shot dtb and one of my nite finders. Then, keeping the nite finder wedged in my pocket, I give myself a little cover fire with 1 shot and then move to some cover. I do this until I have reached an opponent. Not many that I play with like to come at me when I am reloading though, because they could get a nice welt in the chest from the NF and I reload the DTB backwards, as to where I almost always have darts ready to fire. Pretty effective.
"Good character is something you cannot fake. And it always comes full circle at the end."
-Piney-
"It is amazing what a bit of conversation can do, as apposed to just *^$(*#*^ about it."
-AJAQ-

#22 SM750

SM750

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 09:36 PM

My nerfing friend moved so I don't have many wars anymore but when I did it was usually a one on one. We played two hits and your out

Indoor: I used a nite finder and we played in a small basement so it was pretty much a standoff with some barriers. I would shoot and duck behind cover while I reloaded. Sometimes he would charge me while a reloaded and when he did this I ran while I reload and tried to hit him while he was running back after I he shoots at me.

Outdoor: Brassed longshot now but before I modded it I used a CPVC BBB. I tried to be stealthly but I usually get close and then sprint up to him. I landed most of my shots (one headshot that left a welt on his cheek for a week).

I never lose.
Also, stop being such a Jew and buy PETG from me.

#23 TED

TED

In Brightest Prawn, in Darkest Shrimp...

• Administrators
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 09:37 PM

Just win, baby. Just win.

You know what other style you should try?
How about the one where you actually show up for a war!
Star Wars can go fuck itself.

#24 NerfGuardian

NerfGuardian

• Banned
  • 46 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 04:05 PM

My style of play is Guerilla Warfare...
I am the leader of a Nerf Team. We "shoot-it-up" in my friends' basement. Our team seperates into two smaller teams. And We like to set up boxes for cover and whatnot. Our strategy is to capture the boxes before enemy advances. And I also like Guerilla Warfare. Just jump up and shoot them and retreat.
I found a method really useful. You expose your self a little bit and then when right after the enemy shoot you and he misses(You HAVE TO MAKE SURE THAT THEY MISS) before he can cock his gun, shoot them back. I prefer head shots, but go with wherever you like.
Occassionally I do business here in NH, so if you would please be very kind, leave me a review after you do business with me...

My heatware username: terryma1215

#25 FLNerfGunner

FLNerfGunner

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 06:43 PM

My longshot isnt fully modded yet so i just wait for the right time. I wait until there are 2-3 people together. I wait until they're loading then i run in and take them out. If you do this though you have to watch out for people around, especially if they have long range guns. I also like to have someone with long range cover me when i go in just incase.

Edited by FLNerfGunner, 16 July 2007 - 06:44 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users