Nerf "stinger" Modification

One of the lesser-known nerf guns.

11 replies to this topic

#1 frost vectron

frost vectron

• Members
  • 526 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 04:20 AM

I recently acquired a Nerf Stinger, and I decided to mod it....

Because I can.

For those unfamiliar with the Stinger, it was a "pocket weapon" air pressure blaster released just before the SSPB's. It was part of the "New Nerf" line (the one with the fancy italic N for the logo). You can look it up on Nerfcenter.com if you are interested about it.

First, the gun looks like this:

Posted Image

You will have to do a few things to open up the gun. First, there is an orange ring that is superglued onto the front of the barrel. A pair of pliers and some twisting action should take care of that. If not, you can still open the gun without removing this piece, but you will have to rip it off before you reassemble the gun--it's just not worth keeping it on!

You will also have to remove the black handle. First unscrew the two screws on the black grip. Use a screwdriver and pry the two halves apart. You can then remove it, exposing the pump. There is a hidden screw where the handle pivot was located.

Here are the internals:

Posted Image

You will need to chop off the old barrel. Interestingly, Nerf used PETG as the original barrel for this gun. Unfortunately, the size is far too large for microdarts. I chopped off the original barrel at the blue dotted line and glued in the correct size of PETG. Alternatively, you could use CPVC or Brass (it's not worth the $$ though).

Posted Image

I also plugged the overpressure valve on the pump. There is just one hole.

That's pretty much it.

Posted Image

The SSPB is there for size reference. The Stinger can now shoot stefans. Unfortunately, there is much to be desired in the range/power category.

Range: 28 ft. (Flat)

I don't quite understand how the airtank/valve is set up, but I can guarantee that deadspace is the killer of range on this gun. Obviously the skinny length of vinyl tubing and strange placement of the valve kill the power. Unfortunately, I doubt I will take the mod any further.

Will probably sell if anybody wants it, as I have far too many superior guns. Hope you enjoyed seeing one of the lesser-known nerf products.
Latest Modification: The Professional

"I am a leaf on the wind--watch how I soar" - Hoban "Wash" Washburne, Serenity.

#2 neomike88

neomike88

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 05:21 AM

Nice clean mod. Question: is it just one single pump to get the 28ft?
Mike

#3 frost vectron

frost vectron

• Members
  • 526 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 05:29 AM

I knew I forgot to add something.

The answer is, unfortunately, no. I pumped it eight times for that range.

#4 lionhead333

lionhead333

Aslan

• Members
  • 252 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 06:41 AM

My friend, you have just created an original(from what I know) and clean mod. I like it. If you wanted a bit more range, you could use brass, but I'm guessing you didn't have any of that.
You get 2000 lion-points, redeemable for the daydream of your choice.
QUOTE(Ubermensch)
If I were you, I wouldn't mess with the mods, or make stupid mistakes like misspelling their names. I mean, CAVV is really tough on that kind of thing

Most recent write up-
Sharpshooter 2

#5 NerfMonkey

NerfMonkey

• Members
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 07:15 AM

If you wanted a bit more range, you could use brass, but I'm guessing you didn't have any of that.

Some people get better ranges with PETG. I do.
SexD Warves

#6 nerfturtle

nerfturtle

• Members
  • 223 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 12:39 PM

Wow, that valve is realy, realy akward. When I first saw the pic with internals I figured you were going to get good ranges because the airtank looked pretty big. Loking closer, I think only that front part of it is tank, and the rest of it just makes airflow to the barrel harder. So does the tubing. I would certianly pursue this further, you could drill a hole on the top of the dead space right behind the airtank, cut off the rest and seal it, and then have a shorter, wider length of vinyl go from that hole to the barrel.
Edit: Here is a picture of my thoughts.
Posted Image

Edited by nerfturtle, 10 July 2007 - 12:47 PM.

The tough coughs as he ploughs the dough.
-Dr. Suess

#7 frost vectron

frost vectron

• Members
  • 526 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 02:35 PM

Yeah, when I first opened it up, I thought the same thing (that the entire piece was the air tank). On inspection, I noticed that thing is tiny! The larger white chamber near the back of the gun is completely dead space that is used for nothing at all (I think).

If I were to do that, I would simply gut the case and put the barrel inside the white chamber full of dead space. It would probably be integrated onto something later, I suppose.

I don't think brass would help the range much. The main problem is the power deficiency.

#8 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 10:39 PM

I always wanted to find one of these. Unfortunately I never did.
Good straight forward write up. Shame about the ranges, that is one strange valve design.
I like Nerf turtles idea. In my own thoughts and strange creativity. I would cut off the back of air tank and have a barrel that runs straight through the back of the gun. This way the barrel is connected directly near the valve. Then hold the gun backwards and fire it by pressing your thumb onto the trigger. Then with the extra space it might even be possible to integrate a sspb so it shoots out the old stock barrels hole.

Good work, This is the first Stinger write up we have.
I wonder what the next write up will be for a gun that nobody has done before.
I don't get my kicks out of you,
I don't feel the way I used to do.
I know its bad,
After what we had,
But I’m just not the angel you knew.

#9 frost vectron

frost vectron

• Members
  • 526 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 12:58 AM

Yeah, definite let-down on the ranges. I was hoping to squeeze at least 40'. I'm moving onto other projects (repairs, repairs, reparis...), but yes, the barrel relocation/reversal will probably be the best bet for a range increase. When I saw the sucker on ebay, I didn't even recognize it as a nerf gun until I searched over at nerfcenter. It was one of those easily-forgotten guns (such as the monoblast or the small vortex guns).

Good work, This is the first Stinger write up we have.
I wonder what the next write up will be for a gun that nobody has done before.

It depends. What do you want it to be? :)
The next completely new mod from me would probably be the Nitroquad (there are other projects, but I think people have generally completed similar mods--just no write-ups out there yet).

By the way, Angel. It's always nice to see you pop in on mod threads. I think it speaks for everyone that contributors' thumbs-up means a lot.

Edited by frost vectron, 11 July 2007 - 02:02 AM.

#10 JurassicPark

JurassicPark

• Members
  • 273 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 11:57 AM

Off topic:

According to http://www31.brinkst...ress/armory.htm you already modded a nitro quad with a write-up. The link to one of your two previous sites is dead but why would your name be there if you didn't mod it. If so can we get a picture of the stock gun, old mod, and new awseome mod?

On topic:

Great mod! I like it. The tank and pump size while larger than a SSPB/STS are seperably(from the way I see it) Making it more integeratable(sp).
"Why can't we see shit? Thats not a good sign."

-My Dad

#11 Rambo

Rambo

Fear the Robble...

• Members
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 12:21 AM

Will this suffice, Jurassic?

#12 frost vectron

frost vectron

• Members
  • 526 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 07:07 AM

Those are some great finds, JurassicPark and RAMBO. I forgot I even put that mod online--I thought I dropped off the nerf scene before I posted it. Definitely some inspiration there for re-vamping the mod.

On another note. I think my head just exploded. You heard me, fucking exploded.

I busted out the hacksaw to cut into that once-though-to-be hollow chamber only to find...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

It is the most bizarre valve I can think of. When I pump it up now, that piece with the black head shoots out. The black head is some kind of rubber material.

In hindsight, I should have simply cut where the vinyl tubing started and slapped my barrel directly onto the end of the chamber rather than cutting into the chamber itself. Fuck.

Edited by frost vectron, 13 July 2007 - 07:08 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users