Photo

Basic Sspb Rebarreling

12 replies to this topic

#1 Gengar003

Gengar003

• Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 11:06 PM

I recently got myself some SSPBs for the purpose of experimenting with integration into other guns. One of the things that would have to be done to each gun before integrating it into anything is re-barreling it... and I was so pleased with a simple CPVC barrel on one of them that I did it a second time, and now I rock games of assassin with my friends - I can put one in each pocket and not even feel it there, and they each get a good 60'.

Then I noticed that the only SSPB writeup in the mods directory is a converstion to gun-form. This writeup isn't anything original, new, or spectacular, but it's not there, so I figured it should be.

So, to re-barrel a Secret Strike Pocket Blaster...

Go and get ur toolz:
Posted Image

That's a
  • Secret Strike Pocket Blaster
  • CPVC barrel (I used 3")
  • Screwdriver
  • Sandpaper
  • Hacksaw
  • Hot Glue Gun
  • Epoxy
I broke the bottom loop for the keyring holder off to see if I liked that better than leaving it on the shell. Either way, unscrew it.

Doesn't that look like the base of a sword? I'm so doing that to one of my SSPBs :)

Anyway, lookie here: The pump is easy to locate, but where to cut along the barrel? I've labelled the parts of the blaster for you.
Posted Image

Now cut it like so:
Posted Image
If you can, leave as much of the little plastic ridge that connected the pump to the stock barrel as possible - you'll want it later.

And sand down the plastic stubble on the end of the air tank until it is flat. Before you continue, pump and fire it a few times to make sure it's not leaking and that it's working correctly - I think pieces of plastic that were sanded off caused mine to act up. I washed them out and it's fine now.

I did not plug the pump, and do not reccommend it, for three reasons:
  • The whole thing is one piece, and would require sawing/dremeling and gluing back together to get at the pump
  • The air tank is not a solid tank, but has a rubber membrane that bulges as you pump - which looks much harder to fix than a crack in a solid plastic tank, if not (near) impossible.
  • It shoots 50-70 feet as-is. For something this small, that's more than sufficient for me.

Grab that barrel - I used 3" of CPVC, which is a bit much for the little gun. A dart placed all the way to the rear of the barrel will actually shoot out partway, and then retract on 4 or less pumps. However, the longer barrel allows me to fit my standard 3 shotgun stefans down the barrel with ease, and it's not long enough to get in the way. You can use ANY barrel material - PETG, Brass, CPVC, Aluminum, PVC, or Crayolas - and the procedure's the same.

According to the correct way to epoxy things, rough up the base of the barrel a bit, then glue it on.
Posted Image

Now, if you were to put pressue on the end of the barrel, it would probably snap right off... so you want something to keep it from moving, like that bit of plastic that was connected to the stock barrel that you just cut off. Never fear, just slather the gap with hot glue!

Posted Image

It may help to have some kind of cup or bucket of cold water nearby to dunk it into to cool the glue faster, as that much hot glue will take a good while to completely harden.

When the glue's done, put the case back on if you want, and now you're done. You may have to melt a little groove in the hot glue glob for the little yellow piece on the front of each half of the shell that goes between the pump and barrel - the two pieces want to touch, but excessively globbed hot glue will prevent them, and make the shell not close.

Posted Image
Shazam! I carry at least one with me everywhere now, and it's neither uncomfortable (I don't even feel them) nor noticeable. A nasty surprise more than once :)

And when you get tired of that, just take off the case and it's ready to integrate into almost anything. Gotta get more!
I bought Kohls.com's last two AirTech 2000s.

#2 nerfturtle

nerfturtle

• Members
  • 223 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 11:19 PM

Wow, 50-70 feet!? Loks like I have to pick me up several sspbs. Yea, since they can fit into most every gun, like you said, this would make make a killer primary out of any gun if it had one of these in it. Hell, you could even have two of them glued together! Awesome job by the way.
The tough coughs as he ploughs the dough.
-Dr. Suess

#3 hierarchy

hierarchy

• Members
  • 336 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 11:21 PM

How many pumps do you need to get the 50- 70 feet?
QUOTE(Retiate @ Aug 13 2007, 08:43 PM) View Post

I guess you have some heavy duty industrial strength toilet paper holders. Do they advise you to wear eye protection when changing rolls?

My TTG mod.

#4 Gengar003

Gengar003

• Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 11:33 PM

8 (the "safe," reccommended # of pumps from the packaging) to 12 (starts making popping noises that I hope is the release valve) pumps.
I bought Kohls.com's last two AirTech 2000s.

#5 PharaonArin

PharaonArin

• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 11:53 PM

Very clean and clear writeup. I always admire your work Gengar.

#6 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 12:57 AM

Very nice and clear write up. I will proudly add this to the directory.

Gengar, If you have any questions or problems with the Assassin games then don't be afraid to contact me.
I can give you some great tips. We have played four long games and I won every single one except the first where I came in 4th out of 9.
I don't get my kicks out of you,
I don't feel the way I used to do.
I know its bad,
After what we had,
But I’m just not the angel you knew.

#7 nerfer34

nerfer34

• Members
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 08:20 AM

Yea. I believe the ranges. I bought a cpvced sspb from an older member, forget his name, and he did the same mod you did and plugged the OPRV. Mine shoots around those ranges that you've got and the best part about this gun is the "pop" of air when shooting this thing. It sounds so cool.

Good write up.
<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->God Damn it Groove, you stole my kill.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->-OMC

#8 Top Dog

Top Dog

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 November 2007 - 05:47 PM

I recently got myself some SSPBs for the purpose of experimenting with integration into other guns. One of the things that would have to be done to each gun before integrating it into anything is re-barreling it... and I was so pleased with a simple CPVC barrel on one of them that I did it a second time, and now I rock games of assassin with my friends - I can put one in each pocket and not even feel it there, and they each get a good 60'.

Then I noticed that the only SSPB writeup in the mods directory is a converstion to gun-form. This writeup isn't anything original, new, or spectacular, but it's not there, so I figured it should be.

So, to re-barrel a Secret Strike Pocket Blaster...

Go and get ur toolz:
Posted Image

That's a

• Secret Strike Pocket Blaster
  • CPVC barrel (I used 3")
  • Screwdriver
  • Sandpaper
  • Hacksaw
  • Hot Glue Gun
  • Epoxy
I broke the bottom loop for the keyring holder off to see if I liked that better than leaving it on the shell. Either way, unscrew it.

Doesn't that look like the base of a sword? I'm so doing that to one of my SSPBs :D

Anyway, lookie here: The pump is easy to locate, but where to cut along the barrel? I've labelled the parts of the blaster for you.
Posted Image

Now cut it like so:
Posted Image
If you can, leave as much of the little plastic ridge that connected the pump to the stock barrel as possible - you'll want it later.

And sand down the plastic stubble on the end of the air tank until it is flat. Before you continue, pump and fire it a few times to make sure it's not leaking and that it's working correctly - I think pieces of plastic that were sanded off caused mine to act up. I washed them out and it's fine now.

I did not plug the pump, and do not reccommend it, for three reasons:
  • The whole thing is one piece, and would require sawing/dremeling and gluing back together to get at the pump
  • The air tank is not a solid tank, but has a rubber membrane that bulges as you pump - which looks much harder to fix than a crack in a solid plastic tank, if not (near) impossible.
  • It shoots 50-70 feet as-is. For something this small, that's more than sufficient for me.
Grab that barrel - I used 3" of CPVC, which is a bit much for the little gun. A dart placed all the way to the rear of the barrel will actually shoot out partway, and then retract on 4 or less pumps. However, the longer barrel allows me to fit my standard 3 shotgun stefans down the barrel with ease, and it's not long enough to get in the way. You can use ANY barrel material - PETG, Brass, CPVC, Aluminum, PVC, or Crayolas - and the procedure's the same.

According to the correct way to epoxy things, rough up the base of the barrel a bit, then glue it on.
Posted Image

Now, if you were to put pressue on the end of the barrel, it would probably snap right off... so you want something to keep it from moving, like that bit of plastic that was connected to the stock barrel that you just cut off. Never fear, just slather the gap with hot glue!

Posted Image

It may help to have some kind of cup or bucket of cold water nearby to dunk it into to cool the glue faster, as that much hot glue will take a good while to completely harden.

When the glue's done, put the case back on if you want, and now you're done. You may have to melt a little groove in the hot glue glob for the little yellow piece on the front of each half of the shell that goes between the pump and barrel - the two pieces want to touch, but excessively globbed hot glue will prevent them, and make the shell not close.

Posted Image
Shazam! I carry at least one with me everywhere now, and it's neither uncomfortable (I don't even feel them) nor noticeable. A nasty surprise more than once :D

And when you get tired of that, just take off the case and it's ready to integrate into almost anything. Gotta get more!

#9 SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

• Members
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 22 November 2007 - 05:49 PM

Do you have a question, or did you revive this thread for no particular reason?
The only commonly shared fate among us all is death. I turn to the shadows so that I may not be unfamiliar with hell's corridors when I arrive. - SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

Founder of the Shadow Militia.
Founder of Nightshade Laboratories and The Nightshade Armament Corporation.

#10 OnyxZenith

OnyxZenith

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 11:44 PM

Can't you just take pliers and remove the AR? i did that to my recon...it was a bish but it beats having to cut and rebarrel..
SoothSayer-

"Just adding some lube and twisting it back and forth for a while should make it easier"

Subscribe to my Music page and mods >> http://www.youtube.com/user/OnyxMP312

#11 BustaNinja

BustaNinja

• Members
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 11:52 PM

Can't you just take pliers and remove the AR? i did that to my recon...it was a bish but it beats having to cut and rebarrel..

Next time check the dates. This hasn't had posts in it since November of 07. Just lettin ya know. Its not something you should make a habit of doing.
Me: Yeah. he beat a hooker
Venom: Haven't we all?

#12 Merzlin

Merzlin

• Members
  • 589 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 11:53 PM

Disregard- Busta beat me to it.

Edited by Merzlin, 12 December 2008 - 11:54 PM.

#13 bpso86

bpso86

• Members
  • 618 posts

Posted 13 December 2008 - 10:37 AM

To answer your question, yes, you can remove the "Air Restrictor" with pliers, but that is more accurately described as a "Barrel Post" and doesn't actually hinder the airflow a lot. SSPB's don't really have an air restrictor as we currently think of them, but they have a couple of pieces of plastic in a cross type pattern right in front of the air tank outlet. That's why the OP cut off the barrel right there. In this case I think just cutting off the original barrel is easier than using pliers and trying to pull out the barrel post, as I've never been able to get it out all the way with just pliers.

And you other guys, just answer his question and leave the flames to someone with authority. I love how when anyone does something wrong on this site there are always 10 people to point out what he did wrong, but only 1 or 2 to help answer the questions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users