Arrowstrike Modification.

Because I can.

5 replies to this topic

#1 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 01:42 AM

So I recently acquired a couple of these for very cheap and thought I might as well mod one for the sole purpose of adding it to the mods directory. When I get frustrated or tired of working the big projects, I take a step down and mod the little guys from time to time. Both Arrow strikes had broken rotating mechs due to a broken "T" shaped rod that would pull and push with the plunger handle rotating the three pronged turret.

Here it is: The stock Arrow strike.
Posted Image

To open her up you will need to:
Remove only 5 screws.
Take your flathead screwdriver and pry off the yellow scope caps.
Either pry off or dremel through the black cap at the end near the handle.
I chose to dremel it because I have a paper thin metal blade that can do it cleanly.

The internals:
Posted Image

Here is the plunger system.
Posted Image
This puppy has a decent spring and a fat plunger tube. I would say the spring is stronger than that of a night finder.

Looking down the plunger tube:
Posted Image
Can you see that tiny hole where the air passes through?

Now onto the mod done.
1: I cut some E-tape vertically so it had half the width as normal and wrapped it around the plunger head about 4 times. This increases air seal.
2: I lubricated the newly wrapped plunger head with O-ring lubricant.
3. I got rid of the entire turret, the ammo holders, the bow parts and the rotation assembly.
I did not add another spring or stretch the spring since this is a pull and release gun and aiming is hard as it is.

Now originally I decided to make this a two barrel project so I drilled another hole in the plunger tube and cut/sanded away at parts of the shell. I also cut down on the stock tube that led air from the plunger tube to the turret to make room for two petg barrels.
Posted Image

Below is where I drilled to get the second barrel.
Posted Image

Below is the parts of the shells you need to cut/sand away to make room for the barrels. You can see I made the hole on the top of the shell bigger so it can fit some petg.
Posted Image

She turned out looking really good.
Posted Image

But performance however was very bad. 50% of the time it would only shoot one stefan and when it would shoot two stefans they would only go about 15 feet.
The bottom petg barrel was wrapped in electrical tape at a certain point so it sits snug in the hole where the turret used to rest.

So I decided to single barrel it. I plugged up the top airway and kept the bottom one.
I cut down on the upper barrel so it can be used as an ammo holder.

End result:
Posted Image

Head on:
Posted Image

Posted Image
You can see in the above photo that I have actually started to sign my guns with a signature. Just a fancy squiggly way of signing FA 24. I will be doing it to all my modified guns from now on as I take pride in them.

Ranges now with a single barrel are around 28-30 feet. It is really hard to properly test a pull and release Nerf gun. My ranges might be a little less as these types of Nerf guns tend to recoil downwards.

This modification and write up were completed within 2 hours.

Questions, comments, suggestions?
I don't get my kicks out of you,
I don't feel the way I used to do.
I know its bad,
After what we had,
But I’m just not the angel you knew.

#2 OfAllTheNerf

OfAllTheNerf

• Members
  • 714 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 06:37 AM

I love reading write-up's by you, Forsaken.

Even though the range is less than optimal, it's still pretty cool to see what you can get out of a gun people don't usually modify.

I don't have any suggestions, as it looks like you've squeezed every last foot of range out of this, and kept it clean. You could always replace the spring, but then it would make it (theoretically) even more innacurate.

How big is it, exactly? I picture with an NF (or something) for comparison would be nice.

Great job!
[color=#FF6600][Finesse]-[BitchX]

#3 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 01:19 PM

Well I only have like 2 night finders and they are packed up somewhere in these huge black Nerf gun storage bins. To avoid digging through I will use a minimized crossfire for reference.
Posted Image
I know its bad,
After what we had,

#4 nerfturtle

nerfturtle

• Members
  • 223 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 07:10 PM

Wow, that is a LOT smaller than I expected, I thought it was over a foot tall! But there has got to be a way to get better ranges out of this thing, with that large-ish plunger chamber I see. I think the ranges are sucking because when you release the handle, you can't release it very quickly compared to a standard catch, and then you have a slow traveling plunger head for most of it's spring-loaded ride. But, all in all, very nice, I always enjoy reading your write-ups.
The tough coughs as he ploughs the dough.
-Dr. Suess

#5 Sypth

Sypth

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 08:26 PM

Did you try adding springs?
Peter Griffin: Men aren't fat lois, only fat woman are fat.

#6 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 08:34 PM

I did not add another spring or stretch the spring since this is a pull and release gun and aiming is hard as it is.

I do another range test eventually and do an angled shot. I am sure the ranges will be much better.

Edited by Forsaken_angel24, 08 July 2007 - 08:34 PM.

I know its bad,
After what we had,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users