The Cole Breach

I finally got off my butt and used CAD

37 replies to this topic

#1 General Cole

General Cole

• Banned
  • 868 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 01:28 AM

The Cole Breach IS one of the best breachs to come out of the NIC these last years. Can be used on anygun, made for the LS. It can be adapted to use almost any clip designed. And it is simple, fairly. If anyone has SolidWorks, I can PM the actual file to you, but for now, I hope pics work.

The Barrel-
Posted Image
Posted Image

The Reciever (Much more complicated)-
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Images available upon request. Simply put, it is a fully contained breach incapable of jamming, that is what the 45 degree arches are for inside the reciever. When the bolt or whatever it is racks the unit, the port comes into the open position and lets the dart in. When it closes, the barrel, in the reciever or not, secures the dart and seals the breach. I plan on making these soon, down to the milimeter with a lathe and other materials. But you can do this with any material, especially brass because it is made to seal and slide on itself.

Edited by General Cole, 03 July 2007 - 01:46 AM.

We should stop calling out/making fun of/pissing GC off. He's actually contributed and is available for trade. He's a better than average member no doubt. Got your back Cole.
-Nerfer34

You know what... I know it's kinda late... but Props Cole.
-Baghead

#2 Falcon

Falcon

Velcro'd Beanpole

• Members
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 02:05 AM

The Cole Breach IS one of the best breachs to come out of the NIC these last years.

That's quite a bold claim. I'm interested to see how this breech turns out. Especially since looking at the pictures isn't quite hitting the spot for me. Not quite sure what exactly is supposed to be doing what...but that could just be me.

As for jam-free...I'm sure it is in theory. But Nerf darts are made of malleable, flexible materials. The STOCK longshot breech is designed to not have jam problems, but they knew there's the possibility of it happening because no darts are (or remain) perfectly straight for very long.

Good luck with that 100% guarantee bit. Otherwise, let's see what you can do with it.
----------||||||||)
QUOTE(Ilùvatar @ 0000) View Post
Of the theme that I have declared to you, I will now that ye make in harmony together a Great Music.

#3 General Cole

General Cole

• Banned
  • 868 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 02:07 AM

Look carefully at the inside of the reciever. See that outjut inside it? That is what gurantees a perfect load. It grabs the top of the dart and glides it in.

Youtube cutaway coming soon of breach loading.
And no, I am not saying its perfect, in fact it is a little long for my darts. But other than changing the stop on the back and the length of travel it will work.

Edited by General Cole, 03 July 2007 - 02:12 AM.

We should stop calling out/making fun of/pissing GC off. He's actually contributed and is available for trade. He's a better than average member no doubt. Got your back Cole.
-Nerfer34

-Baghead

#4 nerfer34

nerfer34

• Members
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 07:54 AM

So this is THE best breech on the NIC and it is impossible to jam it when IT HAS NEVER BEEN BUILT? Wow, how does that work? Isn't this just another concept design thread?

I still can't really see how it works. It'd be great if you built it..
<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->God Damn it Groove, you stole my kill.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->-OMC

#5 Carbon

Carbon

Contriberator

• Moderators
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 09:38 AM

The Cole Breach WILL BE one of the best breachs to come out of the NIC these last years.

Fixed that for you.
Hello. I am Indigo of the Rainbow Clan. You Nerfed my father. Prepare to die.

#6 Brass

Brass

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 10:48 AM

Well, why don't you put some plans or something up so we can actually see how it's put together? I want to try this thing, especially if it's "One of the best breaches to come out of the NIC these last years" but I won't be able to if I can't figure out how to build it, eh?

Cussing, cursing, swearing, using profanity: All I have to say is why the hell not.

Because every time you do God kills a kitten.

Everytime you miss an opportunity to say 'fuck' I'm going to eat a kitten.

#7 keef

keef

• Members
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 12:57 PM

So you plan to mass produce? Or sell them?
Timothy M-Lick <3

#8 bored kid93

bored kid93

• Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 01:40 PM

I don't get it. How is THIS the best breach? How would you know? There's a hell of a lot of nerfers who have ideas too. Oh and what is your idea for ammo, not all ammo is the same, I don't think a 5.56x45mm NATO round will work like a charm in a rifle that is chambered for 7.62x39mm Soviet. Anything can jam, or atleast malfunction.

Edited by bored_kid93, 03 July 2007 - 01:50 PM.

I'm going to pull out this line: "Speculation is a waste of time. Just wait and see what comes of this. If anything." - Captain Slug.
Captain Slug, I couldn't have said it better.

#9 deaddumpster

deaddumpster

• Members
  • 326 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 01:54 PM

Did you not read the full fucking post? He didn't say it was the best, it MIGHT be ONE of the best. Read the whole thing next time before you post again. We all fucking know other people have ideas, this is his! So wake the fuck up and smell the maple nut crunch!

Anyway, if you manage to get this successfully built and working, then you shall deserve a shitload of cookies for this! Good luck!
QUOTE(VACC @ Jan 15 2009, 01:55 PM) View Post

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. A good nerf gun is like a good woman. It shouldn't require extra lubrication.

#10 nerfer34

nerfer34

• Members
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 02:04 PM

The Cole Breach IS one of the best breachs to come out of the NIC these last years.

Um deaddumpster apparently you didn't read the post, because he clearly states it IS the best breech.

Lets let Cole show us his breech before the mods close this thread.
<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->God Damn it Groove, you stole my kill.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->-OMC

#11 deaddumpster

deaddumpster

• Members
  • 326 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 02:11 PM

Yeah, but he didn't actually say it was the best, he said it was ONE of the best. Now all we have to do is wait for him to show us the finished product... someday.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. A good nerf gun is like a good woman. It shouldn't require extra lubrication.

#12 keef

keef

• Members
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 03:51 PM

Stop fighting about that and just wait till its released.
It looks very promising though and I think it would be great will my BBB.
Timothy M-Lick <3

#13 deaddumpster

deaddumpster

• Members
  • 326 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 04:18 PM

Okay could you please clear up this question that's been burning me like that glue gun yesterday? How exactly can it be adapted to be used in any gun? Please explain, because if this is successful, then I might use it in my nerf shotty once I get the design down pat.

#14 telekinetic

telekinetic

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 04:29 PM

He sent me the models, I put them in a quick assembly with a quickly mocked up gravity magazine. I'm not sure if I did it correctly, because I tried to animate it and couldn't quite figure out the cycle...I may have done something wrong, I'm waiting to hear from him. I suspect one of the models is too long.

Here's a cutaway for visualization purposes:

Posted Image

Edited by telekinetic, 03 July 2007 - 04:29 PM.

Frylock is telekinetic, right?

#15 Renegade

Renegade

• Members
  • 536 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 05:11 PM

Yeah, but he didn't actually say it was the best, he said it was ONE of the best. Now all we have to do is wait for him to show us the finished product... someday.

Alright, I hate to continue this but he did say that it was THE best. Since then, he has edited it to say one of the best.

#16 deaddumpster

deaddumpster

• Members
  • 326 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 05:35 PM

Oh my god, can we stop this now before I end up breaking the computer? Telekinetic, thanks for the model, it helped clear up some of the questions I had. It looks like it might just be one of the best after all! :)

#17 Brass

Brass

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 05:54 PM

I can't understand what the "reciever" accomplishes. An animation would help, if anyone can get one running.

Cussing, cursing, swearing, using profanity: All I have to say is why the hell not.

Because every time you do God kills a kitten.

Everytime you miss an opportunity to say 'fuck' I'm going to eat a kitten.

#18 General Cole

General Cole

• Banned
  • 868 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 06:56 PM

I don't have the knowledge of SolidWorks to do an animation, if I had Inventor I could. And would everyone read the first sentence of the first post-

Not the best, there are probably some old better ones, just since I looked back on the Haven when I came back I saw. Other than the Thunder breach, it is the only new one. My LS breach is also new, but not worth posting. The Cole breach can be adapted to different dart lengths by adjusting two pieces. Small details. By adapting it to your dart length and OD it will be unjammable. Its not like attach "A" to "B" and you will be able to fire without reloading. And no, it needs SOME refinement, such as I got a length on the reciever wrong, but hey, it was late. And please go back and read the first post. I hope to work with Telekenetic and get this animated and refined for different dart types.
-Nerfer34

-Baghead

#19 Pineapple

Pineapple

Old-school Admin

• Contributors
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 07:12 PM

Oh my god, can we stop this now before I end up breaking the computer? Telekinetic, thanks for the model, it helped clear up some of the questions I had. It looks like it might just be one of the best after all! :)

I wish some of you WOULD carry that out, then we wouldn't have so many posts going around and around on the same thing.

General Cole, you ought to know better than to start posting claims based on CAD drawings. Until we actually see a prototype in action, you should claim this;

"The Cole Breach is HOPEFULLY, one of the best breachs to come out of the NIC these last years, based strictly on a bunch of drawings with no real working proof yet, because if it 'aint what I said it is, Uncle Piney's gonna be REALLY disappointed."

I will give you this; you're doing it in a CAD program. All you've gotta do is find someone with a CAM-compatible mill, or a rapid prototyper, and you just might have something.

Which says a lot because most of the concept drawing ideas stay in the "B.S." files.

-Piney-
-Piney- of White Dog Hobbies Armory

<!--quoteo(post=209846:date=Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM:name=boom)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(boom @ Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM) View Post</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
It's to bad you live in hawaii I bet there are not many wars there.Wait what am I saying<b> you live in hawaii you lucky bastard.</b>
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#20 General Cole

General Cole

• Banned
  • 868 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 07:27 PM

Which is good because you don't need a mill. If you look at it, you can make it out of well cut sections of brass. And anyway, I have access to all of the above. I just need to get to it. And get materials. I am probably going to get some brass soon, (finally) and whip out the dremel and see what I can make up. That and some solder. It will take a good deal of time to make. And the one posted would work best with 1.5 in darts. That is what the reciever is built for.

EDIT- Minor changes and some revisions, I didn't say I was perfect with SolidWorks. More images-
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

And I got the detail about the barrell lock for mounting and its position fixed. And I got the whole out of alignment fixed that occured in the rear, I forgot a sleeve.

Edited by General Cole, 03 July 2007 - 07:57 PM.

-Nerfer34

-Baghead

#21 deaddumpster

deaddumpster

• Members
  • 326 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 08:41 PM

Nice work with the CAD drawings, looks pretty promising so far. But, Piney is right(as always), we need a working prototype instead of a bunch of CAD drawings. Please start working on it soon, I and probably a lot of other members of the NIC would like to see the finished product.

#22 Prometheus

Prometheus

• Members
  • 780 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 10:45 PM

I'm still not seeing how this would be easier to fabricate compared to a BS-9 breech, or if it would be more efficient at all either. But who knows, I'm optimistic about it.
QUOTE(VACC @ Jan 24 2008, 06:12 AM) View Post
I am NEVER going to sleep naked in the bed of a former child star ever again....seriously

#23 commander erik

commander erik

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 01:39 AM

I'm not going to full-on bash this just yet, but I do have to point something out.

By adapting it to your dart length and OD it will be unjammable.

You do realize that that is very close to being impossible, right?

Dart length always varies. Even if you cut them mechanically (how?) they will still vary. Foam stretches and compresses depending on many factors, such as: where they are stored, what temp. they are stored at, what they are stored in, how they are used/handled, etc.

Also, what nerfer does not pick up other nerfers' darts and use them? (at least for the purpose of firing them back)
You may fire 1.5" darts, I may fire 1.75" darts, somebody else may fire 1.25" darts. If you choose to fire someone else's darts (esp. if they are longer than yours, even by a fraction of an inch) your breech will either jam, clip the darts, or fail to some extent. Shorter darts will most likely wiggle around enough to fall down vertically.

Additionally, dart OD varies dart-to-dart. Batches of FBR have always been know to vary fractionally even within the same package. Dart OD will expand and contract just like length will. If your leave 2 seemingly identical darts in 2 different barrel materials (loose fitting copper/brass or tight-fitting CPVC), you will have 2 noticeably different darts after a period of time (even as short a period of 12 hours).

Just my Posted Image

And I would put wire at the end of the breech as opposed to that big AR dealio.

Edited by commander erik, 04 July 2007 - 01:41 AM.

USA

#24 deaddumpster

deaddumpster

• Members
  • 326 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 08:01 AM

*Sigh*, he didn't say it was perfect. He should eventually look at it and work out any kinks before he makes it. But, let's hope he even gets to building this before we jump to any conclusions... and Commander Erik, I doubt the darts would stretch or compress much larger than the attached clip or really at all if it's stored properly.

#25 Guest_DarkInfection_*

Guest_DarkInfection_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 July 2007 - 11:05 PM

Other than the Thunder breach, it is the only new one.

*cough,cough*

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users