Photo

Painting

25 replies to this topic

#1 ZakuAce

ZakuAce

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 11:39 AM

So I decided to paint some of my guns, and was wondering, does it matter what kind of paint you use? I just went to a hobby store and bough some model paint, but that crap is exspensive. I figured it would be best though, as the guns are plastic, so oil based paint wouldn't work. So does it not matter what kind you use, or does it make a difference?

#2 PvtMcFlurry

PvtMcFlurry

• Members
  • 353 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 11:42 AM

I use Krylon Plastic Fusion. Thats all I use.
QUOTE(Cannonball @ Oct 26 2007, 11:47 PM) View Post

I'm anxiously awaiting the hasbro over throw.

One Man Clan, or One Man Company?

Crossbow Mod.

#3 AJAQ

AJAQ

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 11:50 AM

I use dupli color vinyl dye.
~AJAQ~

#4 nerfer75

nerfer75

• Members
  • 366 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 11:54 AM

Krylon Fusion.
---nerfer75---
And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.--Revelation 20:15

#5 Flaming Hilt

Flaming Hilt

• Members
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 01:27 PM

Krylon spray paint, which you can buy at pretty much any hardware store, is quite amazing. You can buy the store's spraypaint for cheaper but chances are it's not as high quality (though Ace isn't bad).

For details/things you can't spray, go to a tailor store (IE JoAnne Fabrics) and pick up some acrylic paint.

There's also a brand CS introduced which supposidely soaked into the plastic instead of just coating it. That would probably work best, though I can't remember what it's called off the top of my head.
" Beneath this mask there is more than flesh, Mr. Creedy. Beneath this mask there is an idea...
...and ideas are bulletproof. "
V

#6 sam

sam

• Members
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 03:25 PM

I'd say use vinyl dye of krylon fusion. They both work very well with plastic, and you don't really need a clear coat (for sure not with vinyl dye). Also If there is a color that is not available in vinyl dye or fusion, use a white krylon fusion base coat then the color you want, then a clear coat.

#7 lionhead333

lionhead333

Aslan

• Members
  • 252 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 03:30 PM

I use whatever spraypaint I happen to like. I've used chrome paint, and no, it doesn't deteriorate your gun. It simply becomes a different color.(Shiny chrome red becomes a nice dark purple.)
I must admit though, I have never had any remote problems with krylon fusion. If you can find it, buy it.
QUOTE(Ubermensch)
If I were you, I wouldn't mess with the mods, or make stupid mistakes like misspelling their names. I mean, CAVV is really tough on that kind of thing

Most recent write up-
Sharpshooter 2

#8 watkins

watkins

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 04:12 PM

I use Krylon spray paint. I always try for Fusion or at least a Fusion base coat. Details I use acryllic. Then I seal the entire thing in Rustoleum Painters Touch clear sealant. Makes for a nice hard protective layer.

#9 ZakuAce

ZakuAce

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 04:45 PM

Awesome, all this should help. Thanks guys

#10 Spectre666

Spectre666

• Members
  • 229 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 10:00 PM

I've found that oil-based paints do work well. I use Testors, but it's expensive, so I mostly buy it when I'm doing small jobs or need unique colors.

Just because you can't see me doesn't mean I'm not there.

"Quoth the Raven,'Nevermore.'" - Edgar Allan Poe

#11 PREDATOR

PREDATOR

• Members
  • 245 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 10:39 PM

I use Krylon Fusion.
QUOTE(Groove @ Apr 29 2007, 11:03 PM) View Post

Wise man always say, "Arguing on the internet is like winning the Special Olympics. Even if you win you're still retarded."
-Groove

#12 Direct Threat

Direct Threat

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 10:41 PM

For every single gun I have ever painted, I use Krylon Grey Primer, covered with Krylon Ultra Flat Black as a base coat. I then use water based paints over that, Games workshop or Valejo paints like 95% of the time. Less paint = more. Thats all you need to know, and start picking up technique.

#13 kurtcobain

kurtcobain

• Banned
  • 34 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 11:52 PM

I use model paint in a little spray gun, it looks professional
"I can't get my story straight!"

The fonz

#14 Direct Threat

Direct Threat

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 12:13 AM

I use model paint in a little spray gun, it looks professional

Look forward to seeing your work then.

#15 Prometheus

Prometheus

• Members
  • 780 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 11:36 PM

Krylon spray paint, which you can buy at pretty much any hardware store, is quite amazing. You can buy the store's spraypaint for cheaper but chances are it's not as high quality (though Ace isn't bad).

For details/things you can't spray, go to a tailor store (IE JoAnne Fabrics) and pick up some acrylic paint.

There's also a brand CS introduced which supposidely soaked into the plastic instead of just coating it. That would probably work best, though I can't remember what it's called off the top of my head.

That would be vinyl dye, which works the best. Krylon Fusion for plastic also works well.
QUOTE(VACC @ Jan 24 2008, 06:12 AM) View Post
I am NEVER going to sleep naked in the bed of a former child star ever again....seriously

#16 AssassinNF

AssassinNF

• Members
  • 904 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 12:04 PM

I use Vinyl Die, and I always will. The Black in particular dries instantly (30 seconds), has a nice texture, and will never come off (unless of course you enjoy beating your gun against a tree).

Krylon Fusion is good, too, but I've had a few problems with it. It takes much longer to dry, the surface is sometimes sticky for the rest of the day, and it doesn't adhere to plastic as well as it should. On my titan the Krylon Fusion would just scrape right off. I had to repaint it with Vinyl Die.

Dupli-color Vinyl Die is primarily used for painting dashboards and fabrics in cars, so you can find it at most Automotive shops. I get mine at AutoZone.

Probably dead by now, or something.

#17 kingshane50

kingshane50

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 02:54 PM

I prefer to use krylon fusionpaint, Rust-oleum specialty paint for plastic, or Rust-oleum gloss protective enamel
(it produces a very shiny end product) For clear coat, I use minwax indoor/outdoor spar urathane. (it was made for wood but it works very well if sprayed lighty and given about 8 hours to dry)
QUOTE(DarkInfection @ Nov 5 2007, 05:32 PM) View Post

"The eye, is the groin of the face."

#18 Siebzehn

Siebzehn

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 03:53 PM

Okay, so the name Krylon has been dropped a dozen times, given. Has anybody ever tried laying a few coats of black primer on something, and then not giving it a topcoat? I find that flat charcoal color to be way sexier than glossy black. Especially when some poor chump sprays black without putting primer underneath.

#19 Direct Threat

Direct Threat

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 04:01 PM

Okay, so the name Krylon has been dropped a dozen times, given. Has anybody ever tried laying a few coats of black primer on something, and then not giving it a topcoat? I find that flat charcoal color to be way sexier than glossy black. Especially when some poor chump sprays black without putting primer underneath.

No? I find plain black paintjobs to be boring and uninspired, and well, not really paintjobs at all. Congratulations, you have a base coat, what are you going to do with it now?

#20 kurtcobain

kurtcobain

• Banned
  • 34 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 06:50 PM

I find plain black paintjobs to be boring and uninspired, and well, not really paintjobs at all. Congratulations, you have a base coat, what are you going to do with it now?

Wow your right. flat black looks like shit. I think its stupid to have straight black paintjobs. I suggest if your using black, then add a few other dark muted colors, like charcoal, or grey. Maybe even put a little satin black.
nothing pisses me off more than seeing people brag about flat black paintjobs.

Edited by kurtcobain, 05 July 2007 - 07:00 PM.

"I can't get my story straight!"

The fonz

#21 nerfboi

nerfboi

• Members
  • 858 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 10:21 PM

Flat black and primer grey looks good together
We Ride together, we die together, Bad boys for life.

#22 Direct Threat

Direct Threat

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 02:41 AM

Flat black and primer grey looks good together

I agree. The the black goes over the primer, and then you paint the actual colors over the black. 2 flat colors do not a paintjob make. I'm not trying to be a jerk, theres just an influx of plain black, or black with one sloppy accent color guns as of late. Break out the paintbrushes, and learn a little from prop forums or games workshop black gobbo post, theres a world of paint out there waiting for you.

#23 Carrtoon

Carrtoon

• Contributors
  • 289 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 08:30 AM

I usually use either vinyl dye or rustoleum. I really can't stand krylon paint. It looks and feels cheap to me. Go pick up a can of krylon and rustoleum chrome and you'll see a big difference in the paint.
When beauty breaks the spell of pain
The bludgeoned heart shall burst in vain
But not when love be pointed king
And truth shall Thee forever reign

#24 nerfsharpie6

nerfsharpie6

• Members
  • 326 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 09:06 AM

I personally use testors model paints from the local Wal-Mart. Its cheap where i live like a dollar per little container and 2.88 for the spray paints. Thats all I use and prefer since I've been working with since I got into Car Models. Some times it is a little temper mental and doesn't dry for a few days or just doesn't want to play nice with the plastic. But if you want a faded or weathered paint job lightly sand the gun first the use a gray primer with either flat or gloss black (depending on the look you want) the use a dry brush method. I by far am no expert but I suspect a few people are on here so I would take there advice over mine I'm just adding my 2 cents.
We hang our flags and banners of victory off of your dead bodies.

#25 ZakuAce

ZakuAce

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 11:39 AM

I find plain black paintjobs to be boring and uninspired, and well, not really paintjobs at all. Congratulations, you have a base coat, what are you going to do with it now?

I agree, I just painted my NF with the modelling paint I mentioned earlier, I was gonna do black but decided to go with a dark green, with black for the accents (barrel, tube, etc). It came out pretty nice. I thnk using other dark colors with black accents would work pretty well too. I haven't decided what to do with my LS yet. I was thinking a dark maroonish color.

BTW, all these suggestions about paint are great. Thanks everyone. :huh:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users