The "jihad Jeep"

The 4th of July Approaches...

7 replies to this topic

#1 Gengar003

Gengar003

• Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 07:12 PM

Some friends and I were talking and there was one of those "duuuude... you should totally [some idea]" moments, where [some idea] is at least a little crazy and has almost no chance of happening.

The other day, [some idea] was "modify a remote-control car to launch fireworks/firecrackers."

I done did it :). The "Jihad Jeep" uses 1 9.6v Ni-Cad battery pack, 6 AA batteries, 2 9V batteries, and another 9V for the remote.

The Jeep itself has had the plastic decorative covering (a red "Jeep Grand Cherokee") removed, and replaced with an aluminum tray, to protect it from burning things, and a "trunk" to store and protect its electronics.

That aluminum, incidentally, was the extra stuff leftover after using a measly 4 square inches or so of the giant pieces of aluminum that I had to buy from Lowes, for lack of smaller sizes, to reinforce my crossbow.

Posted Image

Posted Image

The remote has the internals of another remote control car's remote integrated into it, and wired such that the two buttons on either side of the remote will cause the car's motors to turn... or would, if the motors were still connected. A switch in the upper-left turns the ignition remote on or off, and a LED lights up green when the circuit is active. The center red LED lights up when the car is active.

Posted Image

Inside the Jeep's "trunk" are the internals of a second remote control car. 6 AA batteries power the receiver. In place of the car's motors are transistors which, when activated by the buttons on the remote, allow current from one of the 9 volt batteries to flow to the alligator clips. The orange LEDs light up when the corresponding side is active. To ignite things, usually a model rocket's "electric fuse" is clipped in them.

Posted Image

[Cue Music]
Posted Image

Now, I don't have any fireworks yet, but you can watch a video of it just burning the igniters here

So it's a modification and an integration... just not of a Nerf gun.

However, because the buttons on the remote power the alligator clips, ANYTHING electronic can be mounted and controlled on the Jeep... like that Skeet shooting nerf gun. Heck, a small motor to pull an RF20's trigger could be mounted... ;)
I bought Kohls.com's last two AirTech 2000s.

#2 nerfsharpie6

nerfsharpie6

• Members
  • 326 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 07:37 PM

Dude thats awesome. And yes you could make it fire a Rf20 with a smallish motor then have a winch like system to pull the trigger. To pump it up you could use what CS uses and put a tank of air to keep it firing. But I don't know what I'm talking about so don't take my advice. But anyways really cool.
We hang our flags and banners of victory off of your dead bodies.

#3 DarthNerfer

DarthNerfer

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 11:40 PM

That's awesome. I like how use used the electronics from a second vehicle for the ignitors.
My main hobby is hobby grade R/C cars and I have two toy R/Cs that I used the bodies from just sitting doing nothing. You just gave me an idea.

I'm picturing it now, a mobile Nerf weapons platform that fires darts using the mechanics from a Buzz Bee Tommy 20. :)
Nerfing at the Office

#4 LastManAlive

LastManAlive

• Members
  • 686 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 11:41 AM

Not bad for some light weight firecrackers. But once you get a full RF20 on there, it will either go nowhere with a 5 degree incline or just turn over once it hits the smallest of turns.

Sorry to burst your bubble.
He came, He saw, and he conquered... But where did everyone go?

#5 KMILNZE

KMILNZE

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 12:56 PM

Didn't some one already make that, and isn't this a NERF web site?
"out of all the things i've lost, the thing i miss the most is my mind" -Ozzy Ozborn
KMILNZE

#6 SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

• Members
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 01:02 PM

I should show you how to use a cell phone to remotely launch fireworks. (Pyros have to know how to do stuff like this.)

Didn't some one already make that, and isn't this a NERF web site?

Isn't this the off-topic section? If you don't want to, you don't have to capitalize every letter in Nerf, since nobody else really does.
The only commonly shared fate among us all is death. I turn to the shadows so that I may not be unfamiliar with hell's corridors when I arrive. - SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

Founder of the Shadow Militia.
Founder of Nightshade Laboratories and The Nightshade Armament Corporation.

#7 PointBlank

PointBlank

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 08:36 PM

I cant wait to se it shoot actual fireworks. Nice mod.
You can agree with me.... or you can be wrong.

My Latest Mods
The Cyclops
Pointblank Titan

#8 camo

camo

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 09:28 PM

if you can get one of those "shower" fireworks that you keep on the ground and they shoot up sparks like a fountain, be sure to put one on that. then you can drive around with it shooting fire!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users