First homemade, remade w/ better tubing

46 replies to this topic

#1 Coodude26

Coodude26

• Banned
  • 77 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 12:37 PM

Posted Image

Consisting of a purple air bladder (pictured above), pipe insulation, vinyl tubing, and some PVC, my first homemade is very simple as they go.

Posted Image
^next to a foot of 1/2" FBR for scale EDIT: Woops, "scale", not "sale"

Getting slightly more than 100' flat and almost 200' angled, it works by the user jumping on the purple bladder creating plenty of pressure. Maybe if I was heavier, It would go farther :)

There's some dental floss at the bottom of the barrel to prevent darts from falling all the way in.

Since there is 1' of PVC as the barrel,you can load more than 1 stefan (up to 6 actually) it provides a nice shotgun effect like in the video at the bottom of the page.

The idea is that you stick it next to a doorway or something, and when someone comes in you step on the bladder and they are pelted with several stefens. However I later discovered that with 1 dart in the barrel it is extremely accurate, perfect within 50' and no wind and very accurate within 90'.

UPDATE: I found, and modified, my tripod. See "Tripod Video".

I'll try to get some more videos of me shooting it soon. Here's some:
Video 1
Video 2
Video 3

UPDATE
:Tripod Video

New, NEW Tripod Pics!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Hehe, that one turned out really well. Shows how the top part attached to PVC is sturdy but it can pivot on that lower single bolt. After it is moved it can be tightened with your fingers to stay in place :)

Enjoy!

Edited by Coodude26, 10 July 2007 - 08:46 PM.

#2 FREE RUNNER

FREE RUNNER

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 12:46 PM

Ha Ha Ha! That's one of the funniest things I have ever seen. I'm not making fun of you. Its just that thing on the end looks like a whoopie cushion. And could you make a video were we can see you actually jump on that thing? That would be awesome.

#3 Coodude26

Coodude26

• Banned
  • 77 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 12:52 PM

Yea, it looks weird. But looks are deceiving. My friends thought that it was really stupid. They usually rush me so once I got it setup and hit them with the shotgun shot it wen t from "stupid" to "unfair" and "overpowered".

I'll get a video, but I'm not like 20. Only 13, so don't be surprised when you see me. And I swear if anyone says "you're just a stupid little kid" you'll regret it...not really but I'll be angry.

#4 Axelion burnout

Axelion burnout

• Members
  • 292 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 01:07 PM

Oh, that purple thing is from those stomp rockets. Sweet I totally have one of those and I haven't played with it in years, if it can make those yellow plastic missiles fly more than 100 feet in the air there it can easily power a Nerf dart. Super! Now I have something to do today, just have to find it...
\,,/(^_^)\,,/

#5 Chewbacca

Chewbacca

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 01:09 PM

You're just a stupid little kid...uh...even though I didn't see you in the movie. Naw, just joking. I'm not one of those old farts like Piney or Groove either. Thats a piece to a stomp rockets set right? I have one of those lying around somewhere, so I might have to steal your idea. Nice job.

-Chewie.

P.S. Get a tripod.

Edit: D'oh! Axelion_burnout posted while I was typing.

Edited by Chewbacca, 30 June 2007 - 05:39 AM.

#6 Axelion burnout

Axelion burnout

• Members
  • 292 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 01:18 PM

Heh, sorry about that, but I managed to find the whole set in my garage with extra rockets, it even has a tripod so all i really need to do is get the black tube off and put on a PVC pipe.
Posted Image
So many spiders... T_T
\,,/(^_^)\,,/

#7 Coodude26

Coodude26

• Banned
  • 77 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 01:18 PM

Hehe. I do have a tripod that came for it, but the bolt that held the original barrel in place had 2 holes for it. Big waste. So I'm still trying to make it work. The tripod is basically a Y shape with a piece of plastic sticking out the center with a small bold sticking out of that.

2nd video:

EDIT: yea, that's it. Notice how the tube is all bendy and bearly ever lets in air? I put in the pipe insulation instead of that not expecting it to involve into a homemade, but lo and behold. And that's the same tripod I have. Tell me if you find any way to involve it into the PVC.

EDIT 2: Here's the vid of me shooting it. The first one actually hit the side of the swing frame.

Edited by Coodude26, 29 June 2007 - 01:32 PM.

#8 Axelion burnout

Axelion burnout

• Members
  • 292 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 01:24 PM

Yeah, in fact I just kinda stepped on it to see if it would work, and all the air went out of the parts where the tube is bent, its cracked at the corners, so I have to get a new air tube if I want this to work.
\,,/(^_^)\,,/

#9 Coodude26

Coodude26

• Banned
  • 77 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 01:25 PM

Yeah, in fact I just kinda stepped on it to see if it would work, and all the air went out of the parts where the tube is bent, its cracked at the corners, so I have to get a new air tube if I want this to work.

*coughcoughPIPEINSULATIONANDDUCTTAPEcoughcough*
Works well + not too flexible to bend at places.

#10 Axelion burnout

Axelion burnout

• Members
  • 292 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 01:31 PM

I noticed that but, like you said, it doesn't bend very well. So I am probably going to go to the hardware store and buy some kind of rubber hose that would fit. But first I'm just going to rummage around my house to see if I have any other substitutes.

EDIT: My house has rendered nothing, off to the store I go!

Edited by Axelion_burnout, 29 June 2007 - 01:35 PM.

\,,/(^_^)\,,/

#11 Coodude26

Coodude26

• Banned
  • 77 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 01:40 PM

I noticed that but, like you said, it doesn't bend very well. So I am probably going to go to the hardware store and buy some kind of rubber hose that would fit. But first I'm just going to rummage around my house to see if I have any other substitutes.

EDIT: My house has rendered nothing, off to the store I go!

Wait no! I meant not flexible enough so that it wouldn't buckle at places & prevent airflow.
Posted Image

#12 FREE RUNNER

FREE RUNNER

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 01:41 PM

Hey that 2nd video puts it in a different perspective. That thing actually looks like it could do some damage. Nice job dued. I wish I had one of those. (In the original video and pictures it looked huge. It seemed that you would have to jump on it to get it to work. It also looked really hard to use. But that 2nd video makes more sense on how easy it would be to own somebody.)

Is there any of those currently in production? I would like a try at modifying that thing.

#13 Coodude26

Coodude26

• Banned
  • 77 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 01:52 PM

Check the toy section at walgreens or something. Or toy's 'r' us. They're called "stomp rockets". I can find the box and creator if you want. I'm pretty sure as to where they are.

EDIT:http://www.amazon.co...83143234&sr=8-3
DOUBLE EDIT: Here it is again with less rockets, so it's cheaper. $10 is a good deal.
http://www.amazon.co...83143234&sr=8-3
TRIPLE (hopefully last) EDIT: Here it is again, for even cheaper.
http://www.amazon.co...83143234&sr=8-3

Edited by Coodude26, 29 June 2007 - 01:59 PM.

#14 bored kid93

bored kid93

• Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 01:53 PM

Damn, that has to be the most hardcore instrument of destruction I've ever seen, with the exception of bagpipes, those are pretty hardcore too.
I'm going to pull out this line: "Speculation is a waste of time. Just wait and see what comes of this. If anything." - Captain Slug.
Captain Slug, I couldn't have said it better.

#15 Coodude26

Coodude26

• Banned
  • 77 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 02:53 PM

Why thank you. And here 's one more video of me shooting it straight up:

Edited by Coodude26, 29 June 2007 - 02:54 PM.

#16 Skitzo

Skitzo

• Members
  • 270 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 03:29 PM

Thats pretty cool.
I did something like that a few months ago.
I took a simalar rocket set and just used the stock barrel because it fit my stefans pretty well.
I think my bladder was smaller it only got maybe 80' and that was when you really jumped on it.
During a war I set it up in a doorway and snaked the barrel with a longer hose up the trim of the door and placed the bladder under a shirt on the floor in the doorway to my room, so it looked like it was just a messy room.
As soon as you walk threw the door, you see the tube and barrel taped to the wall but its too late you already stepped on the bladder...
I put the barrel and bladder in places where you had to move in order to get into the room so the only what to avoid it would be to jump.
After the war it was still loaded and my mom went into the room to put something away, she stepped right on it, shot her right it the head, then as she was leaving she stepped on it again, same thing happened.
All I hear from upstairs is "What the fuck Tyler?!"
I loaded it with shoot gun stefans and only one shot the first time and the rest shot the second time.
Depending upon how strong it is you could use it for a couple of things.
Maybe someone has tried it but I was thinking of hooking two bladders up to one barrel to see how much that increases range, not to be practical, just to see what would happen.
Sorry for hijacking the thread a little.

Skitzo-
If soldiers were to begin to think, not one of them would remain in the army.- Frederick The Great

#17 Coodude26

Coodude26

• Banned
  • 77 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 04:03 PM

Nah, you weren't hijacking. I was thinking of doing something like that, except it was a little more lo-tech.

Fishing wire attached to... well here's a pic.

Posted Image
I don't think it would work too well though.

Edited by Coodude26, 29 June 2007 - 04:03 PM.

#18 Axelion burnout

Axelion burnout

• Members
  • 292 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 06:24 PM

Literally took 20 minutes to get from the hardware store to my house then to assemble the new pipe and tube. The 5 feet of hose allow me to hold it like a gun while stepping on the bladder. Awesome idea Coodude, gave me something to do today before tennis practice!

Oh sorry about the whole bending thingy, I didn't understand what you were saying, and before you posted that I left to go to the hardware store to buy basically the exact size hose that came with it originally.

Posted Image

Edited by Axelion_burnout, 29 June 2007 - 06:26 PM.

\,,/(^_^)\,,/

#19 Coodude26

Coodude26

• Banned
  • 77 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 06:46 PM

Meh, probably better anyways. I saw that hose while getting some PVC this morning. Looks interesting. And a bit cooler. Looks like something I'd like to do.

:UPDATE: I found, and modded, the tripod. See original post, right under the rest of the vids. However youtube hasn't processed it yet. Damn them...

Edited by Coodude26, 29 June 2007 - 07:11 PM.

#20 Carbon

Carbon

Contriberator

• Moderators
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 06:53 PM

Pretty decent power out of that. I get this image of a portable gun that you fire by flapping your arm down on it. I would dub it "The Bagpipe of Doom".
Hello. I am Indigo of the Rainbow Clan. You Nerfed my father. Prepare to die.

#21 Coodude26

Coodude26

• Banned
  • 77 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 07:02 PM

Pretty decent power out of that. I get this image of a portable gun that you fire by flapping your arm down on it. I would dub it "The Bagpipe of Doom".

Heh, I don't think it would get as much power that way. Now I'm planning to do what Axelion did, probably gonna get the hose tommorow.

#22 Axelion burnout

Axelion burnout

• Members
  • 292 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 09:05 PM

HAHA... sadly that totally doesn't work, I just tried it and it failed for two reasons, my arm strength, and the fact that when you do the whole chicken wing thing to squish the bladder its really hard to keep the barrel aiming straight. Oh and if the bladder is squeezed even a little before you are ready to shoot the dart just kinda dribbles out.

And for Coodude since your doing what I did, the tubing is 3/4 OD x 5/8 ID Vinyl, a 1/2 PVC 90 degree one side is threaded, and a half inch male adapter threaded, and I got it at ACE. But I'm sure you can make something up on your own.

Oh, and sorry I kinda stole your topic, no hard feelings.
\,,/(^_^)\,,/

#23 voidSkipper

voidSkipper

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 06:34 AM

I set up my own Stomp Rocket to do the same thing once I lost all of the rockets over the fence. Didn't have any appropriate materials, though, so I got a lot of leakage.

#24 Coodude26

Coodude26

• Banned
  • 77 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 11:26 AM

HAHA... sadly that totally doesn't work, I just tried it and it failed for two reasons, my arm strength, and the fact that when you do the whole chicken wing thing to squish the bladder its really hard to keep the barrel aiming straight. Oh and if the bladder is squeezed even a little before you are ready to shoot the dart just kinda dribbles out.

And for Coodude since your doing what I did, the tubing is 3/4 OD x 5/8 ID Vinyl, a 1/2 PVC 90 degree one side is threaded, and a half inch male adapter threaded, and I got it at ACE. But I'm sure you can make something up on your own.

Oh, and sorry I kinda stole your topic, no hard feelings.

I used a different angle, it was like a 70 degree peice. Makes it look cooler, and maybe better airflow (turn not as sharp.)

#25 KMILNZE

KMILNZE

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 12:58 PM

It just looks like a big pink furry cleaning tool :D
"out of all the things i've lost, the thing i miss the most is my mind" -Ozzy Ozborn
KMILNZE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users