Nf Spring Replacement Question...

Handyman 9713 Spring I think...

12 replies to this topic

#1 keef

keef

• Members
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 10:16 AM

I have a question about the Nitefinder's spring replacement. I replaced the spring, and added a washer to reinforce it, but while in the process, I lost the catch spring. I got a catch spring from a Mav in place of it now.
But heres the question, Is the spring TOO powerful if I can't get the gun to cock? I'm afriad I can't cock it at all.
What do you do with your NF if you replaced the spring? How do you cock it? And more importantly, if I do get it to cock, would it hurt somebody real badly.

To the mods- Sorry to waste a thread about this, but I dunno who to PM or anything...
but heres some pics...

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by keef, 29 June 2007 - 11:16 AM.

Timothy M-Lick <3

#2 Guest_yourface_*

Guest_yourface_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 June 2007 - 11:03 AM

Three things:

1. If you can't cock it, your spring is too strong. Somebody else may be able to cock it, but it's your gun. I would suggest
using a Tech Target spring like Starbuck used in his Artemis Arms Bulldog, it seems to work quite well.
2. Where did you double post? I only see one post in that topic.
3. It won't hurt anybody too badly, it's not a very high powered gun. Only Titans, Super Soaker conversions and maybe some
others will actually draw blood or leave huge welts.

P.S. Nice paintjob.

Edited by yourface, 29 June 2007 - 11:04 AM.

#3 Flaming Hilt

Flaming Hilt

• Members
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 11:04 AM

Does it click at all? If there's no clicking then the catch isn't even trying to engage and the mav spring isn't working. If there is clicking then yes, your spring is too strong... for the way the gun is now. There are a couple things you can do. And my suggestions won't be top-notch since I'm not big on spring replacements, but anyways...
- Reinforce the catch mech (the part that moves up & down)
- Reinforce the catch (the tab on the plunger rod... I think on the NF it's just an indent. Reinforce the back of the indent)
- Try a stronger catch spring

...that's all I got. The reason for the first two being that chances are a strong spring will chip/break/erode/(etcetera) the plastic, so you need to reinforce it; the reason for the third suggestion is that if your catch isn't getting pushed up hard enough, it won't hold back the plunger.

Will it hurt? Who knows. Probably leave a small welt at close range (most guns do). Nothing I'd worry about as long as you don't shoot 5-year-olds, and keep your eye protection on. ; o)
" Beneath this mask there is more than flesh, Mr. Creedy. Beneath this mask there is an idea...
...and ideas are bulletproof. "
V

#4 bpso86

bpso86

• Members
  • 618 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 11:15 AM

Okay, here's the deal. The handyman springs from home depot have too large a compressed length. You need to take the gun apart and cut off a couple of rings from the spring. I'm 99.999999% positive this is your problem. I use those springs all the time and in every gun it seems like they need to be cut down.

This spring was seriously made for the nightfinders. I mod mine the way I described above, and add an o-ring, and they're fine. Good luck.

#5 keef

keef

• Members
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 11:25 AM

Does it click at all? If there's no clicking then the catch isn't even trying to engage and the mav spring isn't working. If there is clicking then yes, your spring is too strong... for the way the gun is now. There are a couple things you can do. And my suggestions won't be top-notch since I'm not big on spring replacements, but anyways...
- Reinforce the catch mech (the part that moves up & down)
- Reinforce the catch (the tab on the plunger rod... I think on the NF it's just an indent. Reinforce the back of the indent)
- Try a stronger catch spring

...that's all I got. The reason for the first two being that chances are a strong spring will chip/break/erode/(etcetera) the plastic, so you need to reinforce it; the reason for the third suggestion is that if your catch isn't getting pushed up hard enough, it won't hold back the plunger.

Will it hurt? Who knows. Probably leave a small welt at close range (most guns do). Nothing I'd worry about as long as you don't shoot 5-year-olds, and keep your eye protection on. ; o)

Thanks just what I needed!
I think I might use a Firefly spring, I don't feel like using a TT spring...
Which would work better do you think BBB Spring or FF?

By the way, thanks yourface! I have to check out the bulldog

Okay, here's the deal. The handyman springs from home depot have too large a compressed length. You need to take the gun apart and cut off a couple of rings from the spring. I'm 99.999999% positive this is your problem. I use those springs all the time and in every gun it seems like they need to be cut down.

This spring was seriously made for the nightfinders. I mod mine the way I described above, and add an o-ring, and they're fine. Good luck.

Ahhh!
Duh, why didn't I think of that???
I added an extra O-ring and lubed it too.
How many rings should I cut??
And how? Pliers?

Thanks!!!
-keef
Timothy M-Lick <3

#6 Retiate

Retiate

• Members
  • 778 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 11:44 AM

A BBB spring has absolutely no chance of fitting in your Nitefinder.
The Handyman springs from Homedepot do not need to be cut down. I have put those springs in several Nitefinders and I have never had a problem with the catch failing. But, if you choose to cut it down, a dremel should work. Either that or some kind of heavy duty clippers, like the ones used to break locks.

#7 keef

keef

• Members
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 11:47 AM

All I have is a pair of pliers and wire snips. How many should I cut? I'm thinking about 4.

Also, I have a PVC seat thing like in the BBB spring replacement (I used the same spring).
Timothy M-Lick <3

#8 Guest_yourface_*

Guest_yourface_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 June 2007 - 11:55 AM

You're welcome.

The PVC seat is your problem. You need to remove it - your spring should be big enough without it.

#9 keef

keef

• Members
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 12:11 PM

Ok, I'll remove it later and fix-er-up in a few hours.
I'll post my findings later.

-keef

Status Report: 2:20 PM Eastern
Advice: Don't hot glue until you test out the fucking gun.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

status report 240 pm east
advice; don't put ur hand in front of a knife
I cut open my left thumb and i think i fuckd up a muscle, how do i fix it?

Edited by keef, 29 June 2007 - 01:48 PM.

Timothy M-Lick <3

#10 hard rockr

hard rockr

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 06:43 PM

I have a question about the Nitefinder's spring replacement. I replaced the spring, and added a washer to reinforce it, but while in the process, I lost the catch spring. I got a catch spring from a Mav in place of it now.
But heres the question, Is the spring TOO powerful if I can't get the gun to cock? I'm afriad I can't cock it at all.
What do you do with your NF if you replaced the spring? How do you cock it? And more importantly, if I do get it to cock, would it hurt somebody real badly.

To the mods- Sorry to waste a thread about this, but I dunno who to PM or anything...
but heres some pics...

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Use a spring from a bic pen. Someone might have already said that, but I'm not sure. Cut down the spring to fit in the spot. That's what I did, and my gun kills all.

Also, I forgot to say this above. I saw some people say they cut down Handyman springs. That's a mistake. It takes away strength, and is not needed. After you prime the gun, it squeezes it down to fit in perfectly.
As Slash of GN'R says,"Any one can play guitar, but only the best can succeed."

#11 keef

keef

• Members
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 09:10 PM

I've tried the BIC pen, but I may have used the worng spring...
What pen did you use?

And I got it to work except the plunger head flew off and its tsuck in the internals... I don't feel like fixing it so I might scrap it....
Timothy M-Lick <3

#12 Dayko

Dayko

• Members
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 09:37 PM

It won't hurt anybody too badly, it's not a very high powered gun. Only Titans, Super Soaker conversions and maybe some

I just did CS's mod on my BigBlast and I was testing how much it hurt, so I had my dad shot at me and he missed my chest and nailed me in the left cheek and it made me bleed, but weirdly it didn't hurt that much. I have cut both my thumbs open modding too, it sucks.

< One foot in death...The other in life. >

#13 keef

keef

• Members
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 09:46 PM

It won't hurt anybody too badly, it's not a very high powered gun. Only Titans, Super Soaker conversions and maybe some

I just did CS's mod on my BigBlast and I was testing how much it hurt, so I had my dad shot at me and he missed my chest and nailed me in the left cheek and it made me bleed, but weirdly it didn't hurt that much. I have cut both my thumbs open modding too, it sucks.

I know how you feel
Timothy M-Lick <3

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users