Photo

Easiest Way To Cut A Spring?

13 replies to this topic

#1 Dragoon

Dragoon

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 12:52 PM

I was not able to find a topic for it and maybe if this topic gets good enough replies, it could serve as a stop for others who don't know how to effective cut their spring. Well, here is my predicament. I tried to integrate a Nitefinder spring into a Max Blitz but the spring was too long so the catch wouldn't "catch." So I tried to cut it down using a hobby knife, clippers and finally a saw but to no avail. I don't have a dremel (its coming in the mail) but I was just wondering how to effectively cut a spring. Also, I don't have easy access to a mechanic shop to use those behemoths of power tools.

#2 six-five-two

six-five-two

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 12:58 PM

Have you tried wire cutters? Those may work.

#3 Carbon

Carbon

Contriberator

• Moderators
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 01:00 PM

Wire cutters typically don't provide enough leverage to cut springs (I'm assuming that's what Dragoon meant by clippers, anyway). Your best solution is coming in the mail, I'd say. Either that, or a small set of bolt cutters to get the leverage you need.
Hello. I am Indigo of the Rainbow Clan. You Nerfed my father. Prepare to die.

#4 Chewbacca

Chewbacca

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 01:18 PM

I used wire cutters to cut my springs. I can't cut them using my hands, I stick it (the wire cutters and spring, I mean) in a vise and tighten until they cut. I'm not sure if this is a good idea, but it works for me.

#5 CROW

CROW

• Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 01:29 PM

The two methods I use are tin snips or bolt cutters. Both cut through springs fairly easily. And if I ever have a spring that wont cut with either of these, I use a very large bolt cutter (Each handle is two feet or so long) ;)
"You can discover what your enemy fears most by observing the means he uses to frighten you."

"ah man, I would give you so much for one of those NIB crossbows or one of those crossbows on the floor. The ones on ebay have gone up to $59 and the shipping alone is $12." -Rip32

#6 Dragoon

Dragoon

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 01:47 PM

I broke my clippers trying to cut the spring. So I couldn't break the spring with my bare hands so I used a hammer to pound the clipper handle and one of the clippers broke off.

#7 Carbon

Carbon

Contriberator

• Moderators
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 02:06 PM

I used wire cutters to cut my springs. I can't cut them using my hands, I stick it (the wire cutters and spring, I mean) in a vise and tighten until they cut. I'm not sure if this is a good idea, but it works for me.

I broke my clippers trying to cut the spring. So I couldn't break the spring with my bare hands so I used a hammer to pound the clipper handle and one of the clippers broke off.

This falls under the lesson of "don't force your tools". If it isn't capable of doing the job normally, it wasn't meant to.
Hello. I am Indigo of the Rainbow Clan. You Nerfed my father. Prepare to die.

#8 wldworld

wldworld

• Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 06:58 PM

That is sooo added that hilarious quote to my signature, while playing with my butthole.
QUOTE(Dragoon @ Jun 23 2007, 02:47 PM) View Post

#9 b00m13

b00m13

• Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 09:32 PM

Ask permission from an adult to use a lighter to heat up and weaken the area you want to snip, a candle works too and it's prob safer since you don't need to hold onto the lighter.
Depending on the metal it'll take longer for some metal to melt through, for soder it's less then a sec, for brazing it's a few seconds, etc.

also use common sense when handling the spring above the open flame, don't hold it vertically which will let the melted metal drip on your hands, wear mittens if you have to, try to hold the spring with a pair of pliers, etc. Just remember to be careful.

Edited by b00m13, 23 June 2007 - 09:33 PM.

The only place Wal-Mart exists in New York, is in our TV's.

#10 Gengar003

Gengar003

• Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 09:45 PM

Needlenose pliers holding spring (NOT HANDS) + dremel cutting wheel + safety goggles.
I bought Kohls.com's last two AirTech 2000s.

#11 z80

z80

• Members
  • 603 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 11:12 PM

Ask permission from an adult to use a lighter to heat up and weaken the area you want to snip, a candle works too and it's prob safer since you don't need to hold onto the lighter.
Depending on the metal it'll take longer for some metal to melt through, for soder it's less then a sec, for brazing it's a few seconds, etc.

also use common sense when handling the spring above the open flame, don't hold it vertically which will let the melted metal drip on your hands, wear mittens if you have to, try to hold the spring with a pair of pliers, etc. Just remember to be careful.

Steel is NOT going to melt from a candle, or for that matter, a lighter.

#12 six-five-two

six-five-two

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 11:26 PM

By clippers are you talking about wire cutters or PVC "shear" cutters?

#13 Dragoon

Dragoon

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 12:22 AM

The clippers I used were like wire-strippers/aluminum cutters. They could cut soft malleable metals or soft plastic but CERTAINLY not steel springs.

#14 Flaming Hilt

Flaming Hilt

• Members
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 12:49 AM

Your best solution is coming in the mail...

Agreed. Stop breaking things and wait for a Dremel.

... ; o)
" Beneath this mask there is more than flesh, Mr. Creedy. Beneath this mask there is an idea...
...and ideas are bulletproof. "
V

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users