Photo

Please Help... Crossbow Reinforcement...

I apologize for yet another Crossbow thread

6 replies to this topic

#1 OfAllTheNerf

OfAllTheNerf

• Members
  • 714 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 09:49 PM

Hello everyone.

I got my Crossbow back in March, and have finally modded it. It's awsome, but now I see something strange.

On the right side (if you're aiming it at something), the side where the spring-wall (the wall that the spring pushed up against), there are two curving marking. They seem to be right where the spring wall is.

I reinforced the wall with brass sheeting, and it was pretty thick. But I think that it is actually tearing the spring wall at the base, and not breaking any of the wall off. I hope that this is descriptive enough. If it is not, please ask for more explaination, and I will give it to you.

So, I wanted to know if this is normal, and, if not, what I should do to further reinforce it. I don't want my Crossbow (which will probably be my only one, since they keep getting scarcer) to get destroyed, when there was something I could do to prevent it.

I will try to get a picture up tommorow. I hope that helps further.

Thanks,

-OfAll'
[color=#FF6600][Finesse]-[BitchX]

#2 LastManAlive

LastManAlive

• Members
  • 686 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 10:24 PM

I don't have a xbow, but I have had one and modded it and seen the inside enough to know what you are talking about.

The pics of how you reinforced it will be needed. But here what I THINK you need to do.

1. Don't use brass sheeting. It might be pretty strong, but you can get stronger. You need to get some thin steel if you can. maybe about an eighth inch think if you can manage that.

2. As for the reinforcing, it sounds as if you put a striaght peice of metal to reinforce it, and that is wrong. You need to put a peice that is bent 90 degrees and JB weld or even epoxy it onto the spring wall base and the wall of the xbow. That's how you properly reinforce it.
He came, He saw, and he conquered... But where did everyone go?

#3 OfAllTheNerf

OfAllTheNerf

• Members
  • 714 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 07:32 AM

I did, actually, cut a piece of the brass sheeting, and bent it so it was like a bracket, at a 90 degree angle. I then Plumbers Gooped it down onto the spring wall. But it's still showing stress...

What should I do now? I don't think i can get the metal off now... I saw someone who looked like they put two thick steel rods behind the two longest pieces of the wall. I'm going to ask them about that.

Thank you, though.

#4 LastManAlive

LastManAlive

• Members
  • 686 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 10:41 AM

Ok, you need to get that brass off. It apparently isn't strong enough. You can start by finding a number to consult in the tube of Goop to find out what you need to do to remove it. They may have a solvent you can purchase.

I would try reinforceing BOTH sides of the wall. And with a stronger metal like steel that I mentioned before.

I am guessing that by stress, you mean it looks like it is bending some and you can notice it. If not bending, then I am guessing the wall looks somewhat white at the base.

If a stronger metal isn't enough then you need to check your spring and see if it's the stock one and not an industrial grade spring. It must be too strong for it if it's stressing plastic AND metal.
He came, He saw, and he conquered... But where did everyone go?

#5 Renegade

Renegade

• Members
  • 536 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 11:15 AM

http://nerfhaven.com...wtopic=7871&hl=

Projects been on hold since my sm5k. But I have all the pics for Part 2 ready.

#6 nerfboi

nerfboi

• Members
  • 858 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 11:16 AM

I know what yuo mean. It's like the brass sheeting stays on, but your sheeting is pulling off the little section of plastic it's held to off. Right?
We Ride together, we die together, Bad boys for life.

#7 OfAllTheNerf

OfAllTheNerf

• Members
  • 714 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 05:52 PM

http://nerfhaven.com...wtopic=7871&hl=

Projects been on hold since my sm5k. But I have all the pics for Part 2 ready.

Yes, I just remembered that, and looked for it. This morning I went to the hardware store and got the 5/16" hex cap screws, and will install them tonight. They are very strong, and it doesn't look like (once they are in), there will be any chance of breakage.

I know what yuo mean. It's like the brass sheeting stays on, but your sheeting is pulling off the little section of plastic it's held to off. Right?

Exactly. But hopefully the screws will solve the problem.

I'll update everyone on how it turns out either tonight or tommorow.

Edited by OfAllTheNerf, 23 June 2007 - 06:03 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users