Rifle Maverick

A Maverick mod.

30 replies to this topic

#1 CAP Blue Beret

CAP Blue Beret

• Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 04:18 PM

I have been working on this mod for a while now, and think that I have a pretty good design figured out:

The Gun

The Barrel:

The barrel is external, and aimed slightly upward to give the gun more range and accuracy. I used a cheap plastic telescope I had in my room to create the barrel, and it fit rather tightly over the maverick's little snub at the front.

The Stock:

The stock at the back is kind of primitive, but it was the first one I ever made. I used the end of that telescope I was talking about above, to fit over the little stub at the back of the maverick. This makes the PVC fit nice and strait. Everything is held together by hot glue.

The "Scope"

The "Scope" is not a scope at all. I used the scope of the long shot and cut off both ends. After that, I put a lens from my mag-lite over the front, and drew cross-hairs.

The Mav:

The maverick itself has the basic AR removal, but the pins are still in place. I have found Streamlines to be the best stock darts to use in my nerf guns.

All in all, I love my maverick. I believe it to be my most valuable close rang weapon.

Questions? Comments? Concerns? Criticism?
Check out NerfNation

#2 zxnam

zxnam

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 04:23 PM

So, If I understand correctly, you have to move the whole stock or gun to Prime. Does this decrease the RoF?

Edited by zxnam, 11 June 2007 - 04:24 PM.

#3 SPU-Nerf

SPU-Nerf

• Members
  • 166 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 04:26 PM

Why?
Does this mod even add range or is it all for looks?

#4 zaphodB

zaphodB

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 04:27 PM

so... you made a rifle to be a close range weapon? why? Also, that barrel isn't adding range, it's taking it away.
Alice came to the fork in the road.
"Which road do I take?" she asked.
"Where do you want to go?" responded the Cheshire cat.
"I don't know," Alice answered.
"Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."

#5 frost vectron

frost vectron

• Members
  • 526 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 04:45 PM

You might need something more durable than hot glue to attach the scope. When actually nerfing, things stuck on with hot glue usually like to fall off--especially since you'll be cocking the gun frantically and this thing is going to be on your shoulder. I prefer mechanical connections (screws, bolts) to hold things on, but it might be difficult in this case.

I also suggest you modify the cocking slide, so the action is more like a longshot (use a priming pin rather than using the whole slide). It would be easier, especially with that stock sitting there.

Edited by frost vectron, 11 June 2007 - 04:46 PM.

Latest Modification: The Professional

"I am a leaf on the wind--watch how I soar" - Hoban "Wash" Washburne, Serenity.

#6 Flapper12

Flapper12

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 09:28 PM

I don't personally like it but it aint all that bad, I'd just rather just use the mav as a sidearm yours seems to big to be a sidearm. But hey, nice job anyways. :D
Has anyone ever told you that your a dumb shit?-King Of Butt Land

Don't be sorry. Being sorry means you were wrong or you're trying to get fucked. Were you wrong? No. So why do you want to fuck Ted? I've met him; you're making a mistake.-VACC

#7 Prometheus

Prometheus

• Members
  • 780 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 11:13 PM

Guys, cut him some slack. He is madly in love with his Mav, and decided ti pimp it out. It's like the Japanese-Americans in LA in the 1980's, who started working with cheap imports and after-market stuff. Now look at how many slick civics and mazdas are out there, and look at how big he tuner industry is. HIN is huge in the city. Maybe he'll start a revolution. Doubt it, but let the guy show off his effort. At least he got what he was hoping for. Good job.
QUOTE(VACC @ Jan 24 2008, 06:12 AM) View Post
I am NEVER going to sleep naked in the bed of a former child star ever again....seriously

#8 watkins

watkins

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 11:27 PM

Kinda nifty, but nothing I would do myself.

Guys, cut him some slack. He is madly in love with his Mav, and decided ti pimp it out. It's like the Japanese-Americans in LA in the 1980's, who started working with cheap imports and after-market stuff. Now look at how many slick civics and mazdas are out there, and look at how big he tuner industry is. HIN is huge in the city. Maybe he'll start a revolution. Doubt it, but let the guy show off his effort. At least he got what he was hoping for. Good job.

Where I come from, those would be known as ricers, and any fool who only adds a cough can exhaust and visual mods to their car to that degree is laughed at. Tune the engine, dont add hundreds of pounds of performance-reducing body crap and a bad paint job. And that, dear children, is why buying a Subaru solves all your problems.

But back to the Mod...
Prometheus is right, give the kid a break. Its nice to see someone do things to a gun that so many consider to be worthless.

#9 CAP Blue Beret

CAP Blue Beret

• Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 11:49 PM

Q Does the stock decrease ROF?

A I guess it could, but I'm the kind of guy who picks my shots in a war, even if I have 10 rounds coming at once. Besides, it's light enough so I can use it one handed.

Q Does it increase range?

A I haven't noticed anything.

Q So you made a rifle to be a close reange weapon? Why?

A Well when I say close range, I don't mean Close Quarters Combat, though I sometimes do that. What I mean is it doesn't shoot that far.

"You might need something more durable than hot glue to attach the scope. When actually nerfing, things stuck on with hot glue usually like to fall off--especially since you'll be cocking the gun frantically and this thing is going to be on your shoulder. I prefer mechanical connections (screws, bolts) to hold things on, but it might be difficult in this case.

I also suggest you modify the cocking slide, so the action is more like a longshot (use a priming pin rather than using the whole slide). It would be easier, especially with that stock sitting there."

Actually, the scope is cosmetic, but thanks for the suggestions. I'll post if I have any further development.

~Blue Beret
Check out NerfNation

#10 frost vectron

frost vectron

• Members
  • 526 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 12:58 AM

Oh... I think I meant to say "Stock" instead of scope. Since you're using it as a shoulder-rest, you might need a little more than hot glue--especially since there is only one hardpoint. Whatever works, though. I know sometimes, hot glue can somehow hold things together really well--but other times it can't hold anything together.

It might also be worthwhile to attach the cocking mechanism to your foregrip. The travel length appears to be about the same. It would make firing this baby a lot more comfortable.

Off topic: I personally dislike road racers and people with sporty-looking vehicles that cause trouble on the streets. I am a performance driver (I race in SCCA events, mainly Solo II events on closed courses). When I drive around, it's not fun to be picked on by cops all the time, thinking that my car is souped up ready to road race and cause accidents. I was very hesitant to install an exhaust on my car for a long time, but it just seemed to make sense to put it on because I actually need the engine response.

People that go out there and race at stoplights just ruin it for people that spend time and money to enjoy the automotive sport gracefully, safely, and professionally. The fast and the furious movies don't help at all with building the image of real drivers, either. Sorry--just had to get that off my chest.

Edited by frost vectron, 12 June 2007 - 01:00 AM.

#11 baseballnolan5

baseballnolan5

• Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 08:27 AM

Frost Vectron you beat me too it. As I was reading this I was thinking "wouldn't it be easier to put something like CS's LS shotgun foregrip. It would be almost the same but shorter and you would need to have it go up to the cocking slide. I would do that and remove the front handle based on personal preference of having a grip on the bottom of the gun rather than a piece that sticks out from the gun. Overall you did a good job, except the part where the stock attaches looks crooked even though the stock is straight.

Frost Vectron you beat me too it. As I was reading this I was thinking "wouldn't it be easier to put something like CS's LS shotgun foregrip. It would be almost the same but shorter and you would need to have it go up to the cocking slide. I would do that and remove the front handle based on personal preference of having a grip on the bottom of the gun rather than a piece that sticks out from the gun. Overall you did a good job, except the part where the stock attaches looks crooked even though the stock is straight. A foregrip would greatly increase the ROF incase you get rushed.
QUOTE View Post

About how much are you holding in the pictures on the spools?

A shit ton.

QUOTE(Langley @ Aug 6 2007, 05:41 PM) View Post

The shot hit Andy squarely in the forehead. He was, in fact, on my team.

#12 CAP Blue Beret

CAP Blue Beret

• Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 08:53 AM

Oh... I think I meant to say "Stock" instead of scope. Since you're using it as a shoulder-rest, you might need a little more than hot glue--especially since there is only one hardpoint. Whatever works, though. I know sometimes, hot glue can somehow hold things together really well--but other times it can't hold anything together.

It might also be worthwhile to attach the cocking mechanism to your foregrip. The travel length appears to be about the same. It would make firing this baby a lot more comfortable.

Okay, I might just use that idea. It sounds workable, but I dont know what to use. It does have a few problems though:

1. The LS mod CS made uses something to just push the cocking mechanism that is already there backward. The Mav mod wouldn't be able to since it has the stock there.

2. If I tried to do the same thing just within the gun, I would have to put all the trigger mechanism in other places.
Check out NerfNation

#13 watkins

watkins

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 09:08 AM

2. If I tried to do the same thing just within the gun, I would have to put all the trigger mechanism in other places.

Thats where the problem lies with the Mav. There just isnt much useful space inside. Although, with some careful bending of a sturdy wire there may be a way to move the cocking mechanism without interfering with the trigger. I think the real problem would have to be the articulation points that the barrels swing out on.

People that go out there and race at stoplights just ruin it for people that spend time and money to enjoy the automotive sport gracefully, safely, and professionally. The fast and the furious movies don't help at all with building the image of real drivers, either. Sorry--just had to get that off my chest.

Well said. That is exactly how I feel. Cars are intricate works of art and raw power, and they should be treated as such, not as a child's toy.

#14 CAP Blue Beret

CAP Blue Beret

• Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 09:32 AM

Thats where the problem lies with the Mav. There just isnt much useful space inside. Although, with some careful bending of a sturdy wire there may be a way to move the cocking mechanism without interfering with the trigger. I think the real problem would have to be the articulation points that the barrels swing out on.

Well said. That is exactly how I feel. Cars are intricate works of art and raw power, and they should be treated as such, not as a child's toy.

Well, using a wire might work, but I think it could be a problem after a few wars. However, I think that that I could put the bolt handle from a longshot on the maverick. Then I could take the stock off the slide and put it on the gun, without the slide.

One more thing:

I know you guys like your cars, and I know you're using them as an illistration, but could we get off that topic?

Thank-you for the ideas, I think I'll use a few. Keep posting.

~Blue Beret
Check out NerfNation

#15 frost vectron

frost vectron

• Members
  • 526 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 05:31 PM

Yeah, I was thinking you mod the slide (or simply remove it) so only the cocking pin moves and not the entire slide itself. That way you can cock it like the longshot (cocking pin only) rather than moving the entire slide.

#16 CAP Blue Beret

CAP Blue Beret

• Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 09:36 PM

Okay, I was trying to get it to cock like a longshot, but it's not working. I need something to frame the pin so it's strong enough to cock one handed. As it is right now, I have to cock it like an M-16: A finger on either side of the gun. While I don't mind this, the whole reason I took off the slide was to make my ROF greater.

I still love my mav, and have done some more things to it. Pictures will be up as soon as possible.

~Blue Beret
Check out NerfNation

#17 CAP Blue Beret

CAP Blue Beret

• Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 01:20 PM

As promised, here is the new mod:

Posted Image

As you can see, I took the slide off and put in a bolt instead. The pole is attached to the original spring so it goes back to the forward position after being cocked.

The Bolt:

Posted Image

I left some of the slide on. The purpose is to support the stock.

The Accessory Rail:

Posted Image

I took the rest of the slide and put it on the barrel as you can see.

This allows me to use the accessory rail just like the M-16, M-4, or AR-15 rifles.

Posted Image

The 2 rails on the side are from my longshot.

All of these are held together by hot glue.

Questions? Concerns? Comments? Suggestions?
Check out NerfNation

#18 bpso86

bpso86

• Members
  • 618 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 02:02 PM

Questions?

Why the barrel addition?
Is it hard to pull that little tiny pin to cock it?

Concerns?

Yes, it's a Maverick in rifle form, with an extended pointless barrel. That alone concerns me. But don't let that discourage you, I'm just being honest.

Comments?

Interesting take on a Maverick. I'll leave it at that.

Suggestions?

You should go nerf with this thing and tell us how it goes. Where I come from, something like this would be totally pointless, but I guess if you nerf in your basement or something it could work.

#19 CAP Blue Beret

CAP Blue Beret

• Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 02:35 PM

The barrel addition makes it more accurate. It makes my sights zero in at 10'

The pin is not difficult to cock becuase I don't use it like a bolt. I put one fingure on either side, and pull back.

I do use it in nerf. I always test my mods out in a war before I post. It works very well indoors and out. You just need to treat it like a rifle.

Edited by (CAP)_Blue_Beret, 13 June 2007 - 11:58 PM.

Check out NerfNation

#20 CAP Blue Beret

CAP Blue Beret

• Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 01:11 PM

Update: Right now I am working on accessories to hook up to the gun's rails. I'm making a run to the store today to buy useful items to use as accessories. Here is what's on my list so far:

Tactical Light (I do a lot of battles in the dark)

2 cross-fires (For the teeth that can clamp on to the rails)

Anything else I should add to my list? Please post it here. Pictures should be up by the weekend.

~Blue Beret

Edited by (CAP)_Blue_Beret, 14 June 2007 - 01:14 PM.

Check out NerfNation

#21 zaphodB

zaphodB

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 15 June 2007 - 11:05 AM

intigrate a gun with some range. Some small air gun would probably be best.
Alice came to the fork in the road.
"Which road do I take?" she asked.
"Where do you want to go?" responded the Cheshire cat.
"I don't know," Alice answered.
"Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."

#22 CAP Blue Beret

CAP Blue Beret

• Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 11:33 AM

intigrate a gun with some range. Some small air gun would probably be best.

What do you mean? As in intigrate an AT2K into the mav?

The only air guns that I have are 2 titans and 1 LBB. I dont like air guns, because air escapes, and you have to waste time pumping up the next shot. The thing I do like about them is their range, but remember: This gun is for Close Quarters Combat.

~Blue Beret

Edited by (CAP)_Blue_Beret, 16 June 2007 - 11:33 AM.

Check out NerfNation

#23 ashs75

ashs75

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 03:21 PM

im not trying to put you down but that thing looks like shit....

but I think that if that you put the barrel, shoulder stock, and other things on a different gun like the nerf dart tag ones it would look better.

sorry if that hurts you but im trying to be honest.
Rifle vs Tank = terrorist getting owned

#24 Prometheus

Prometheus

• Members
  • 780 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 05:42 PM

im not trying to put you down but that thing looks like shit....

but I think that if that you put the barrel, shoulder stock, and other things on a different gun like the nerf dart tag ones it would look better.

sorry if that hurts you but im trying to be honest.

Aesthetics are second. Functionality and practicality for the situation are important.
QUOTE(VACC @ Jan 24 2008, 06:12 AM) View Post
I am NEVER going to sleep naked in the bed of a former child star ever again....seriously

#25 Ccapogreca

Ccapogreca

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 07:41 PM

Kinda nifty, but nothing I would do myself.

And that, dear children, is why buying a Subaru solves all your problems.

Yeah, or next year a Smart.

It looks cool and if it works for you then good work.
QUOTE(keef @ Oct 25 2007, 05:41 PM) View Post

Grow a penis and say it to his face. Hes a bodybuilder and would eat you for breakfast.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users