New members, old members that don't list

36 replies to this topic

#1 Pineapple

Pineapple

Old-school Admin

• Contributors
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 10:42 PM

In the last couple of weeks, we've let in approximately 2,200 new and pending validations to membership.

That's a lot.

We also have noticed an abundance, a growth if you will, of forum threads and discussions with the following types of characteristics.

-- More "what is your favorite_____________" threads.

-- More "Concept and Idea" threads, of which many, by the poster's own admission, will never come to pass (or what I call the " I'd try this but I don't have money or time to do it" wet dreams). All talk, no substance.

-- Lots and lots of repetitive questions asked, and when the poster is asked if the "Search" function is used, they respond in affirmative, when in actuality a quick search reveals all the information the poster had requested, often within seconds.

-- Generally a lot of posts that violate the NerfHaven Code of Conduct, mainly the one about "Do not post unless you have something significant to add. Or what I call the "That's cool!" and nothing more posts.

-- New users claiming to be "long time lurkers", who haven't a clue how things are run here, and end up being post-whoring thread mongers.

-- Every third or fourth member wants a custom avatar, or something added to the library, or pictures or ASCII rabbits in their signatures.

-- (My personal pet peeve along with lying on the forums); Backseat moderators who decide that a couple dozen posts on NH qualifies them to become the forum bully or three.

Enough is enough.

Consider this announcement fair warning. The administrative staff has been both absent, and tolerant for the newer flood of users, and the so-called new "veterans" whose member number is below 4000.

We will not warn you. You will be suspended with little indication. The boards will become readable again without turning stomachs watching the playground arguments form online.

Don't like it? Don't worry. I've taken some trouble to find some fine alternative Nerf forums that would be happy to cater to your needs. Many of the littler members of NH are administrators and kingpins of these lessor sites:

Try this one.

Or this one!

Perhaps this one.

This is sweet.

Go here now!

Another fine site.

I left one or two off, because those sites are sufficient in membership (and because I frequent them too). Everyone knows about Nerf HQ, so y'all can go there first without my leading you.

All good?

Okay, because the administrative staff has their permits, and are locked and loaded.

It's hunting season.

-Piney-

ps; If anyone posts that any of the links don't work, too bad. I'll suspend you myself.
-Piney- of White Dog Hobbies Armory

<!--quoteo(post=209846:date=Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM:name=boom)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(boom @ Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM) View Post</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
It's to bad you live in hawaii I bet there are not many wars there.Wait what am I saying<b> you live in hawaii you lucky bastard.</b>
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#2 watkins

watkins

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 10:50 PM

Thank you for this.

I'll admit I havent been here long, And I only lurked for a short time before the mass introduction of members, but I liked what I saw. The influx of poor members has bothered me as well, and it seems to be happening across the web. I chose to join NH because it seemed civil and well run, and I only join quality forums. I'll be glad to see the upcoming cleaning of less useful members.

#3 frost vectron

frost vectron

• Members
  • 526 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 10:53 PM

I like this post, Piney.

A lot of newer members don't know the etiquette here, and most simply glaze over the CoC. This being on the front page would hopefully attract the eyes a little bit for those 2000 or so new members.

Backseat moderation: Sometimes it's very tempting to correct someone's wrongs--but don't do it guys. I know, there are many stupid things that you feel should be pointed out. Just think of it this way--if you read it, an admin has definitely seen it too and will address it in the correct way. Just relax and trust in the administration to deal with it.

Bad grammar is annoying sometimes--but people pointing out bad grammar (and manytimes using poor grammar themselves) just pisses me off. Also, if you're going to insult someone's intelligence, learn some word-usage please ("your stupid!" comes to mind here).

Oh, and Piney--I promise I'm a long-time member. :rolleyes: Hehe.
Latest Modification: The Professional

"I am a leaf on the wind--watch how I soar" - Hoban "Wash" Washburne, Serenity.

#4 l337n3rf3r

l337n3rf3r

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 11:12 PM

Praise the lord. I haven't been very productive on the boards and I apologize. Everyone is with you on this one Pineapple.

~l337
Wii would like to play with you.

#5 Pineapple

Pineapple

Old-school Admin

• Contributors
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 11:21 PM

Longshot555,

Your member account at NerfHaven has been temporarily suspended.

You picked a bad day to ask me why you aren't suspended yet. Doing that is like poking the nose of a hungry, grumpy polar bear. Somehow it's not going to end pretty. And it's not going to end here.

Your account will not be functional until Oct 24 2034 6:06PM (depending on your timezone). This is an automated process and you do not need to do anything to expedite the unsuspension process.

Board Address: http://nerfhaven.com/forums/index.php

<!--quoteo(post=209846:date=Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM:name=boom)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(boom @ Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM) View Post</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
It's to bad you live in hawaii I bet there are not many wars there.Wait what am I saying<b> you live in hawaii you lucky bastard.</b>

#6 Rambo

Rambo

Fear the Robble...

• Members
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 08:00 AM

I agree with you nearly 100% Piney. I've found myself inches away from 'backseating' it many times, but I think I've done a good job of restraining myself.

Just to clarify, though, we are allowed to continue posting in favorite threads until they get out of hand?

#7 nerfboi

nerfboi

• Members
  • 858 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 09:23 AM

Great post Piney. I, have backseat mod before in a few posts, so I know what I feels like to get bashed for that. And I'm sorry for all the times I backseat modded.
We Ride together, we die together, Bad boys for life.

#8 Ronster

Ronster

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 11:19 AM

I cannot stress to you how long this has been needed.
Thanks you lots.

And I agree with Rambo. There have been sooooo many times I've wanted to yell at someone from the backseat or yell at the troll...it's hard not to but it has it's payoffs. :P

ps. Are the new "veterans" a group? Like with a cool new title instead of "members"???

Edited by Ronster, 11 June 2007 - 11:19 AM.

-I Nerf, there for I am.

QUOTE(baghead @ Oct 25 2006, 09:55 AM) View Post
Ronster reminded me that I should have warned you all Prepare your Bladder for Imminent Release!!!!

#9 Rambo

Rambo

Fear the Robble...

• Members
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 11:36 AM

I really hope that doesn't happen. It's just unnecessary.

#10 The Infinite Shindig

The Infinite Shindig

Arma-what-now?

• Contributors
  • 1,383 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 12:26 PM

ps. Are the new "veterans" a group? Like with a cool new title instead of "members"???

There are no plans at this time to implement a new title/member group. Thank you for your continued interest in NerfHaven.
Shindig of the Lawn Chair Mafia

<a href="http://www.albinobla.../flash/posting" target="_blank">Posting and You</a>

#11 Gyrvalcon

Gyrvalcon

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 02:11 PM

[Pineapple Hates]...ASCII rabbits in their signatures.

Yes

Yes. I concur. That is all.
-Knowledge Is Power-

#12 murakumo32

murakumo32

• Members
  • 419 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 03:30 PM

Finally, the flood has come to wash away the NH "sinners".

Thanks a lot, I found myself slowly visiting and posting on the forums less and less since the new members came in. I'm not against new members, but i am against douche members.

This is one of the few high quality nerf sites, so I'm glad its being taken care of by responsible people.

Oh yeah...400th post! Mile stone for me.

Edited by murakumo32, 11 June 2007 - 03:32 PM.

Nerfing, now fortified with vitamin C!
-or-
100% Nerf, for 100% pwnage.

Nerf is a neutral weapons dealer. Anyone coughing up the dough can get armed.

and they're made of Foam... which makes them very Nerfy...

#13 One Man Clan

One Man Clan

TOFTS

• Contributors
  • 2,170 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 03:56 PM

This is one of the few high quality nerf sites, so I'm glad its being taken care of by responsible people.

I'd like to know what you think the other one(s) are.
I hate you.

#14 badger

badger

The Walking Nerf-wiki

• Members
  • 1,171 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 10:59 PM

At last, the heavy hand of the Hawaiian shall be felt by all who oppose the rules!

Piney, I hope that I haven't gotten on your nerves by my constantly running to you with all the bullshit that has transpired here in the past month or two, but it all that I can do to help the admins out. I was so close to going off on alot of people this weekend with all the crap that I have seen, but I held back as best I could, with a few exceptions.

I will, as always, support the admins here at NH the way that I always have. I try not to backseat moderate. I will just continue my special way of attempting to correct the character flaws of the newer members without flaming them and making them look like asses. I hope that I still have the support and permission of the admins in my endeavors. I'm always here to help.

P.S. I think the thing that has really gotten under my skin from all of this has been the horrible grammar, spelling, and capitalization. Hopefully the new members will read your topic and clean up their act.
As Carbon once said,

"The moment you can no longer see the fun in running around like a little child is the moment you begin to die."

Roses are FF0000
Violets are 0000FF

ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US

#15 TED

TED

In Brightest Prawn, in Darkest Shrimp...

• Administrators
  • 1,338 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 06:05 AM

-- Generally a lot of posts that violate the NerfHaven Code of Conduct, mainly the one about "Do not post unless you have something significant to add. Or what I call the "That's cool!" and nothing more posts.

Praise the lord. I haven't been very productive on the boards and I apologize. Everyone is with you on this one Pineapple.

~l337

I agree with you nearly 100% Piney. I've found myself inches away from 'backseating' it many times, but I think I've done a good job of restraining myself.

Great post Piney. I, have backseat mod before in a few posts, so I know what I feels like to get bashed for that. And I'm sorry for all the times I backseat modded.

cannot stress to you how long this has been needed.
Thanks you lots.

And I agree with Rambo. There have been sooooo many times I've wanted to yell at someone from the backseat or yell at the troll...it's hard not to but it has it's payoffs. tongue.gif

Yes

Yes. I concur. That is all.

I thought we weren't supposed to make "that's cool posts" and posts that contribute nothing.
Star Wars can go fuck itself.

#16 shadowkid33

shadowkid33

• Members
  • 633 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 05:00 PM

Why thanks you Piney! I see that my Black Hawk Nerf forums de shit made it on the list. I feel honered, but alas I took them down.
how the heck do you make a double clip?

Here are the steps.
1. Go to the search button in the right corner of the screen
2. Click
3. Search double longshot clip.

i dont have time, jeez, im new here!

#17 Substance Abuse

Substance Abuse

• Banned
  • 487 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 06:26 PM

Piney or any other admins that can answer this... For Example my post in off topic thread Top 5 Favorite movies... Is that against the rules or what? I feel that people should sometimes share their points of view and therefor that's why I made that thread.

Or do you mean the threads like "What's your favorite video game?"
QUOTE(Brass @ Jul 6 2007, 10:30 PM) View Post

QUOTE(keef @ Jul 6 2007, 09:29 PM) View Post

Yeah, I'm in the same case as Substance Abuse...
Brass, ask your mother.

She said your dad owes her three dollars.

#18 Pineapple

Pineapple

Old-school Admin

• Contributors
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 07:23 PM

There's no "rules", per se, regarding off-topic. It is, after all, off-topic matters other than Nerf.

However, in the last two pages, I count at least seven topics having to do with "favorites", or "preferred", or topics where one is asked to voice a personal opinion, of something other than Nerf. Such proliferation of these topics gives one the impression that our members have a lot of free time on their hands.

Allow me to remind you and everyone who misunderstands, once again, that the owners of NerfHaven intended to create a HAVEN from the endless juvenile lunch-table topics that are prevalent on so many other forum boards, Nerf and otherwise. For just ONE site, members (of which many, to your surprise, are adults--as in 21 and over) can have a place to discuss our hobby, and OCCASIONALLY something off the normal topic flow from Nerfing. It shouldn't be that Off-Topic is a fairly close third behind GND and Modifications, in terms of overall posts.

You won't find the adult members of NerfHaven discussing things like "Favorite Alcoholic Beverage", or "What Condom Works Best for You?", or "401(k) or IRA?". There are other venues for discussing such things, and we feel that NerfHaven isn't the place for it.

Does that make sense? I think it does. There are tons of other sites that are desperately waiting for that kind of traffic. Not NerfHaven. We're the premier mainstream Nerf forum, and I'd like to think that it's the ongoing overarching mission that the site owners desired, that makes NH the front-runner. NerfHQ is another mainstream site, and Evil and his admins are quite a bit more tolerant, and thusly you see much more youthful topics (and members) there.

I don't mind a rare and occasional "What's your" thread. I don't appreciate the trend we saw coming if we didn't take any action against it.

And whoever PMd me about doing a "Favorite Nerf Gun" thread, don't. Please.

-Piney-

#19 SirTofu

SirTofu

• Members
  • 424 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 08:02 PM

Why don't you just give senior members access to OT and make an everybody accessible OT section that doesn't contribute to post count. Lots of forums do that, and it works. If you look at other forums, you don't get the crap that NH gets in OT. But, I do have one beef with the OT that is not going to stop, and I understand why. The fact that debate threads get locked as soon as they are created. But this is a nerf forum, and is full of young little kids, I respect that.
Nobody online Nerfs in the SE :(

#20 One Man Clan

One Man Clan

TOFTS

• Contributors
  • 2,170 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 08:42 PM

How about we just exercise a little common sense when dealing with OT. Lot's of those topics don't need to be up on the active topics page. They get in the way of the real threads worth reading. You know how to make them go away? Ignore them. Simple as that.

Remember too, I have a stellar record in the OT forum. I do my most assassinating in that forum.
I hate you.

#21 Guest_yourface_*

Guest_yourface_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 June 2007 - 09:13 AM

Why don't you just give senior members access to OT and make an everybody accessible OT section that doesn't contribute to post count.

Who would qualify as a senior member? Just the Contributors and Ambassadors, older members or what?

#22 Rambo

Rambo

Fear the Robble...

• Members
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 11:10 AM

Why don't you just give senior members access to OT and make an everybody accessible OT section that doesn't contribute to post count. Lots of forums do that, and it works. If you look at other forums, you don't get the crap that NH gets in OT. But, I do have one beef with the OT that is not going to stop, and I understand why. The fact that debate threads get locked as soon as they are created. But this is a nerf forum, and is full of young little kids, I respect that.

No offense, but I don't think there's really much competition over post counts here. People post in OT for other reasons(I think).

A senior member could be a number of things in my mind:
1) Someone who is active and has been around for a long time
2) Someone who is relatively new(eg. CaptainSlug), yet is one of the best contributors

#23 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 06:41 PM

Allow me to remind you and everyone who misunderstands, once again, that the owners of NerfHaven intended to create a HAVEN from the endless juvenile lunch-table topics that are prevalent on so many other forum boards, Nerf and otherwise. For just ONE site, members (of which many, to your surprise, are adults--as in 21 and over) can have a place to discuss our hobby, and OCCASIONALLY something off the normal topic flow from Nerfing. It shouldn't be that Off-Topic is a fairly close third behind GND and Modifications, in terms of overall posts.

You won't find the adult members of NerfHaven discussing things like "Favorite Alcoholic Beverage", or "What Condom Works Best for You?", or "401(k) or IRA?". There are other venues for discussing such things, and we feel that NerfHaven isn't the place for it.

How about politics AND beverages? /g/

It's good to see the place growing again.

Cheers.
<meta name="cxwq" content="mostly water">

#24 Guest_DarkInfection_*

Guest_DarkInfection_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 June 2007 - 11:35 PM

I'd like to know what you think the other one(s) are.

I think that orange's Nerf page is one. Granted it's not a forum, but it's a quality site nonetheless.

#25 Bone

Bone

• Banned
  • 43 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 03:26 PM

How many threads that read "The party is over" "I'm cleaning up the place" posts like that have been made but little action has been followed through with them. But thats just my opinion, no disrespect to anyone.
No.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users