Pvc And Cpvc Help!

need help!

10 replies to this topic

#1 Maeric

Maeric

• Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 09 June 2007 - 06:55 PM

Sorry if this sounds stupid but, I am attempting to make a breech for a certain gun and i need to know a few things about CPVC and PVC.

1. How are PVC and CPVC measured? ID? OD?
2. How do i know if one size will fit effectively over a smaller size to make a breech?

Oh, and i need to fit 3 layer of PVC and/or CPVC snugly together (the outer being able to slide on and off), with the smallest ID being 1/2 inch.

ok i understand that coper would fit over cpvc nicely, but i need a THREE layers to acomadate shells.
so would, say? A 5/8" peice of CPVC fit snugly over a peice of 1/2" CPVC?

Edited by Maeric, 09 June 2007 - 07:36 PM.

Active on H3Artificer as Halacar. GT: Halacar send me an invite if you wanna forge.
I'm amazing at Forza3! I destroyed the engine of a 2mil C car by downshifting! YAY!
I hate you. And all noobs who are like "OMFG i r liek, glued sh1t 2 shit. jak offf ma ego. NAOW!"

#2 Gengar003

Gengar003

• Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 09 June 2007 - 07:01 PM

If you're going to be using a CPVC barrel, use copper REPAIR piping for your breech's cover, in the same size as your CPVC. (That is, if you're using 1/2" CPVC, use 1/2" copper repair piping). It is a perfect fit over the CPVC.

If you're giong to be using a PVC barrel, I can't help you.
I bought Kohls.com's last two AirTech 2000s.

#3 monkey with a nf

monkey with a nf

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 09 June 2007 - 07:26 PM

PVC is measured by ID, but there isn't necessarily a correlation between the fractional and real measurements- 1/2" PVC is actually 5/8", while 1/2" CPVC is just over 1/2", etc... I have heard of people making PVC breeches with repair couplings, though I prefer to just make brass breeches.

EDIT: As for the last question, I think you're stuck unless you have a lathe- in my experience, PVC doesn't start to nest until 1" and 1u1/4".

Edited by monkey_with_a_nf, 09 June 2007 - 07:28 PM.

QUOTE(Pineapple @ Sep 12 2007, 03:13 PM) View Post

For maximum efficiency?

1. Pump up. Count how many pumps.

2. Keep going until you hear a loud "bang".

3. Subtract one pump from the total. Rebuild your air bladder.

There you go.

#4 Maeric

Maeric

• Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 09 June 2007 - 08:05 PM

Posted Image

something like this...
Active on H3Artificer as Halacar. GT: Halacar send me an invite if you wanna forge.
I'm amazing at Forza3! I destroyed the engine of a 2mil C car by downshifting! YAY!
I hate you. And all noobs who are like "OMFG i r liek, glued sh1t 2 shit. jak offf ma ego. NAOW!"

#5 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 09 June 2007 - 08:14 PM

Sorry if this sounds stupid but, I am attempting to make a breech for a certain gun and i need to know a few things about CPVC and PVC.

1. How are PVC and CPVC measured? ID? OD?
2. How do i know if one size will fit effectively over a smaller size to make a breech?

Oh, and i need to fit 3 layer of PVC and/or CPVC snugly together (the outer being able to slide on and off),

1. SCH40 and SCH80 are standard for both inner diameter and outer diameter. Their outer diameter is the same (.84") so that they are compatible with all of the fittings available for both standards. 200 thinwall and gravity feed are two standards apart from SCH40 and SCH80 and do not have the same dimensions so they are not compatible with SCH40 or SCH80 fittings.
1/2" SCH80 pipe has a .526" or .546" inner diameter
1/2" SCH40 pipe has a .602" inner diameter
2. By looking at the measurements obviously. For a slide fit the diameter between the pieces has to have a gap of atleast 10 thousandths of an inch. For and interference fit (one that won't slide) the dimensions either have to match or the piece being inserted has to be a few thousandths larger in diameter than the hole is being inserted into.

with the smallest ID being 1/2 inch.

That would make it unusable since any foam you will be buying is not offered in a precisely fractional outer diameter. Once straightened 1/2" FBR ranges in outer diameter from .502" to .53".

1/2" SCH40 and SCH80 pipe will fit loosely inside of 3/4" SCH40 pipe. So if you were to nest something inside of 1/2" SCH40 PVC (like brass) that will give you three layers.
Or you could nest 1/2" SCH80 pipe inside 3/4" SCH40 pipe nested inside 1-1/8" OD copper pipe.

All you need to do is research the sizes yourself. Poke through the Mcmaster catalog with a calculator in-hand and it will tell you the precise dimensions of whatever kind of pipe or tubing you select.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 09 June 2007 - 08:20 PM.

The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#6 SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

• Members
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 09 June 2007 - 09:30 PM

I would recommend using brass for the entire breech. It will lighten the weight, reduce the size, offer a tighter fit, and provide better range than your current design. Plus, it is much easier to manufacture a brass breech than to find exact sizes of PVC or CPVC that may not even nest properly.
The only commonly shared fate among us all is death. I turn to the shadows so that I may not be unfamiliar with hell's corridors when I arrive. - SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

Founder of the Shadow Militia.
Founder of Nightshade Laboratories and The Nightshade Armament Corporation.

#7 nerfboi

nerfboi

• Members
  • 858 posts

Posted 09 June 2007 - 11:05 PM

Oh, I get what your saying. Your saying you wat to make SHELLs with your breech right?
We Ride together, we die together, Bad boys for life.

#8 Maeric

Maeric

• Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 01:30 PM

Ok....
So what your saying is that 17/32 brass would fit inside of 18/32 inside of 19/32?

And yes i am planning on using shells, would they work with brass. As in, brass breech and brass shells? And if it would help i need it for a titan...

And CaptianSlug, i head that 1/2 CPVC has the appropriate ID for stock darts..... Is this true?

THANK YOU SHADOW!!!!

Edited by Maeric, 10 June 2007 - 02:01 PM.

#9 zxnam

zxnam

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 02:32 PM

Ok....
1.So what your saying is that 17/32 brass would fit inside of 18/32 inside of 19/32?

2.And yes i am planning on using shells, would they work with brass. As in, brass breech and brass shells? And if it would help i need it for a titan...

3.And CaptianSlug, i head that 1/2 CPVC has the appropriate ID for stock darts..... Is this true?

THANK YOU SHADOW!!!!

1. Yes but dont go looking for 18/32 brass, its 9/16
2. I am not sure if it would work, you may need an ejector.
3. Cpvc fits the the body not thehead of stock darts. The breack wont work if you use stock darts.

#10 SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

• Members
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 02:38 PM

There are many main useable sizes of brass, measured via OD: 7/16, 15/32, 1/2, 17/32, 9/16. The first three are too small to be barrels, and should be used as blocks to prevent darts from slipping into the gun's internals while still allowing airflow. 17/32 and 9/16 brass are good for barrels and nest easily in one another.

Edited by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA, 10 June 2007 - 03:05 PM.

The only commonly shared fate among us all is death. I turn to the shadows so that I may not be unfamiliar with hell's corridors when I arrive. - SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

Founder of the Shadow Militia.
Founder of Nightshade Laboratories and The Nightshade Armament Corporation.

#11 Maeric

Maeric

• Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 02:52 PM

17/32 and 9/18 brass are good for barrels and nest easily in one another.

You mean 9/16?

No I will not need an ejector......

and if the 3 sizes fit together well the shells should work quite well

How would all of this be attached to the titan anyway? Just some brass coupler?

Edited by Maeric, 10 June 2007 - 02:55 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users