Is It Me?

or is the longshot a piece of trash?

25 replies to this topic

#1 chalywong

chalywong

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 12:57 AM

After doing some modding to the longshot and using it extensively, I have come to the conclusion that it is a piece of trash. The gun constantly jams and misfires, and has pretty horrible accuracy. Does anyone else have these severe problems with the longshot either stock or modded? And if so does anyone have a cure for it?

#2 six-five-two

six-five-two

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 01:03 AM

I am having a bit of problems with accuracy, probably due to the fact that I am using streamline darts though.

#3 newby

newby

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 01:22 AM

As far as misfires go, you should probably add another (stronger) catch spring. ForsakenAngel's LS mod shows a good picture of one method.

However, if you have not added another spring or modded it in any way, it really shouldn't be misfiring. If that's the case, return it.

As for accuracy, a breech mod is the only I answer I can think of. ForsakenAngel has an excellent version (from what I hear) but it's pretty complex. There are other ones out there. Oh, and converted dart tag darts are more accurate than the stock streamlines. To make your streamlines more accurate, you can do a few things:

1. Cut off that little dome of rubber on the top (CaptainSlug came up with that)
2. Fill the little hole in the rubber dome with hot glue.

-NEWB
John 3:16:
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life."

#4 Shralla

Shralla

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 01:49 AM

Isn't the LS being touted as a modern XBow? I don't know if I'd call it crap.

#5 chalywong

chalywong

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 01:58 AM

Sorry I guess I used the wrong terms. By misfire I mean the dart is chambered and when it fires it gets jammed in the mechanism. I have a more than ample reinforced catch spring, I shoot CDTD's and using captainslug's high capacity mags and foregrip and still finding the gun to be very lackluster. I'm just wondering if I'm doing something wrong or is just the way the gun is. Right now in the current round of assassins I'm playing, my friend is having constant trouble with his longshot almost getting him killed a few times which is very aggravating.

#6 monkey with a nf

monkey with a nf

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 06:48 AM

My impression was that the LS is bad stock. Unmodified, it can jam, has low power and horrible accuracy. With an angel breech, or just barrel replacement, it gets much better (X-bow like power).
QUOTE(Pineapple @ Sep 12 2007, 03:13 PM) View Post

For maximum efficiency?

1. Pump up. Count how many pumps.

2. Keep going until you hear a loud "bang".

3. Subtract one pump from the total. Rebuild your air bladder.

There you go.

#7 sam

sam

• Members
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 12:50 PM

I think a lot of it is that there are so many pieces that have to be in place perfectly, and if they aren't your LS won't work. Stuff like that has happened to me multiple times.

#8 Guest_DarkInfection_*

Guest_DarkInfection_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 June 2007 - 12:59 PM

I think that the Long Shot is just too big, complicated, and unnecessary. I completely agree with you that is a very bad gun.

#9 Carrtoon

Carrtoon

• Contributors
  • 289 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 01:22 PM

I used my longshot at the last Minnesota war and I can personally vouch for it. Without that gun, I'd have had some real problems. The only problem I had was not having enough darts. The gun itself was very reliable and I don't think it jammed once. Flaming Hilt can vouch for it also. I had a few long distance shots on him, one of which was my annual crotch shot. Something obviously isn't right with yours. What mods did you do to the insides exactly?
When beauty breaks the spell of pain
The bludgeoned heart shall burst in vain
But not when love be pointed king
And truth shall Thee forever reign

#10 The Crackerjack Man

The Crackerjack Man

• Members
  • 203 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 02:33 PM

I have had the same problem with the dart getting caught in the mechanics. Any way to fix this?
"Wow, you realy screwed that guy over"

#11 Shorty

Shorty

• Banned
  • 157 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 03:22 PM

I guess the LongShot is just a very complex or should I say, a intermidiate gun to mod. Hey, maybe Hasbro made it so it can be challeging to mod. :D I guess understanding the Longshot and having patience with it is why people think its sometimes b*tchy. I mean it is, Its got more than five springs on it and every damn piece has to fit perfectly. Its accuracy with streamline darts, even modded dont help much. And how ironic is it that its suppose to look like a loser rifle. Basically, its a bitchy gun stock and one to mod, but with extensive mods, I can be rewarding.

Edited by Shorty, 01 June 2007 - 03:23 PM.

I love imports.
DarkShrimp is the next Piney.
"Ignorance can be fixed. Stupidity is forever."

#12 Cmdrmack

Cmdrmack

• Members
  • 545 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 04:33 PM

The Longshot is many things, it is awesome, it is sucky, it is reliable and temperamental. It is not the gun for everybody. Some people swear by the Big Bad Bow, I personally have not had good experience with them. Some people love turreted AT3Ks, I singled mine and love it.

If you're having trouble with the longshot, it might not be the gun for you. Try the 3K, it will do most of the same jobs as a Longshot, but accomplishes them in a different way.

If a gun isn't working for you, don't use it. Even though it compliments your playing style it might not be the best choice. Most playing styles can be matched with a number of different guns, and most guns work for a variety of styles.

Longshots are great for the people who love them, and mine has never let me down, but Privateer, a member of my clan, has broken several and doesn't think they're very good. His 3K is a beast though, but I just can't do as well with his 3k as I can with my Longshot. Same/similar purpose, vastly different results.

If you and your Longshot just aren't getting along, try a 3K, or even a Big Salvo, sometimes, it just doesn't work out between a nerfer and his/her gun.
QUOTE(Predalien_Ro @ Apr 7 2008, 10:24 PM) View Post

Oompa: FECES!? Who in their right mind would try that shit!?

Bigger Salvo

{FWPC}

#13 rebsol

rebsol

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 07:57 PM

WHOEVER thinks the longshot sucks should go to hell. Chances are you just didn't mod it right, I have two longshots and they are awesome. 100 feet with ARs and double spring. I bet you are either a bad modder in general(no offense) or just screwed this one up.
"If you're hand touches metal, I swear by my pretty floral bonnet I will end you"
Malcolm Reynolds(Nathan Fillion)

Firefly, the best show ever created.

#14 NerfFreak

NerfFreak

• Members
  • 200 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 09:39 PM

It's just you.

Just because a gun isn't that good stock, doesn't mean it's a piece of trash. It rocks when it's properly modded, but if a cheap, half-assed mod is thrown in, then your going to turn it into a piece of trash.

Get my picture?
Nuckin' Futz

#15 chalywong

chalywong

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 10:37 PM

Guys I'm not saying the gun is broken or anything but in my opinion even when everything is working properly I think the gun has some major problems. I've modded 5 or so longshots now and I am very familiar with how the gun works BUT even with the gun in proper working order it still has bad jamming problems at random times because of the over complicated internals. Don't get me wrong I believe if you spend a lot of time and money on the gun that it is a beast, but is it really worth all that? I don't know I was just voicing my opinion I don't know why everyone has to jump down my throat.

#16 z80

z80

• Members
  • 603 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 11:44 PM

Guys I'm not saying the gun is broken or anything but in my opinion even when everything is working properly I think the gun has some major problems. I've modded 5 or so longshots now and I am very familiar with how the gun works BUT even with the gun in proper working order it still has bad jamming problems at random times because of the over complicated internals. Don't get me wrong I believe if you spend a lot of time and money on the gun that it is a beast, but is it really worth all that? I don't know I was just voicing my opinion I don't know why everyone has to jump down my throat.

Ok, well you must be a pretty bad modder. I've modded numerous longshots, and none of them have jamming problems.

#17 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 11:50 PM

I've never even HAD a jam before.
I don't like the gun for other reasons. It's primarily just because of personal preference right now. I don't find the longshot comfortable enough to use in a war for more than one or two rounds because the magazines take too long to reload and I don't want to have to carry a bunch of them.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 01 June 2007 - 11:52 PM.

The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#18 chalywong

chalywong

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 02 June 2007 - 09:41 AM

I guess my friends and I had a bad string of luck the past couple nights with our longshots. I don't know why everyone has to talk down to someone who has a problem with a gun and immediately question their modding skills. Any mod can delete this topic if they want because all it has turned into is a flame war.

#19 Pineapple

Pineapple

Old-school Admin

• Contributors
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 02 June 2007 - 10:31 AM

chalywong; you stated your opinion, and now you're getting feedback. Suck it up and take it like a man. It'll get worse in Real Life™. We're not closing this topic.

That said, I don't think very much of the Longshot, despite the fact that we have one, and another soon to be bought. I'm a simplistic bastard, and anything beyond an AT3000 is plenty "high-tech" enough for me. A 2-barrel "flip-breech" gives me enough manageable firepower in a "real" war.

I have enough experience modding the "old-school" stuff, that I don't have the free time, nor the motivation to sit for several hours fiddling with a Longshot just to get acquainted with it's internals.

Knowing me, however, it probably won't be long before I succumb to my curiosity and take the sucker apart, and go through the trials of modifying/ troubleshooting a Longshot fix-up.

Take the advice and insults (however cruel they may seem), and take that sucker back apart and figure out what's causing your darts to jam and get messed up. My son gets jams with his LS, but that's only because he's trying to fire the thing at 2-3 shots-per-second, and he gets his timing mixed up and a dart gets bent in the breech area. That's where that "jam-door" comes in really handy.

People here talk down other people about Nerf mods because they have little, pea-sized self-esteem, and they need to stomp on yours in order to inflate their own back to a normal level. Go insult some newbies and you'll know what I mean. I have absolutely no self-esteem so feel free to stomp on mine. Just don't catch me on a bad day, because I have an Admin Control Panel™. That's what I use to make me feel better.

There you have it; most people like the Longshot, I don't think much of it, and it certainly will NEVER replace the Crossbow, SM5000, or other wicked classics. Old-school!

-Piney-
-Piney- of White Dog Hobbies Armory

<!--quoteo(post=209846:date=Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM:name=boom)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(boom @ Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM) View Post</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
It's to bad you live in hawaii I bet there are not many wars there.Wait what am I saying<b> you live in hawaii you lucky bastard.</b>
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#20 rebsol

rebsol

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 02 June 2007 - 10:39 AM

I think the longshot is the new crossbow. If you have jamming trouble you somehow messed up the breech or/and the dart tooth. I just did the spring and AR one to mine and had no trouble jamming except with 1inch stefans. Maybe if you give some internal pictures we could help with the jamming.
"If you're hand touches metal, I swear by my pretty floral bonnet I will end you"

#21 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 02 June 2007 - 11:19 AM

I think the longshot is the new crossbow.

I don't think I will ever agree to this sentiment. I might agree if it were said about the maxshot or big blast, but then again those guns aren't as comfortable as the crossbow.

To reach the full potential and efficiency with the longshot you end up having to replace half of the working parts of the gun. That doesn't lend itself to being iconic for the same reasons that the crossbow, or other guns which only need a barrel replacement and minor reinforcement in order to become accurate and reliable weapons.
It COULD have been iconic, but the mechanical design has so many leaks, so many easily broken parts, and does several things backwards from the way they could have been done to reach a more reliable result.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 02 June 2007 - 11:24 AM.

The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#22 chalywong

chalywong

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 03 June 2007 - 01:09 AM

Sorry I'm just in the school of thought that the people here would be mature and give constructive criticism instead of flat out insults.

Besides that I think the point of the 2-3 shots per second is probably the problem. From playing paintball a lot you get ball chops which is when the ball is half way in and out of the breech. This is probably what is happening with the longshot because the spring takes time to put the dart up in the chamber. Taking a tiny bit longer to re-cock the gun this might solve the problem.

#23 LastManAlive

LastManAlive

• Members
  • 686 posts

Posted 03 June 2007 - 08:49 AM

I didn't read all the posts yet, but I was just going to add and verify my luck in barrel replacement.

I added a brass barrel (17 or 19/32, don't remember) and get beeter range, yes, but the accuracy was horrible. One in six shots would hit the target where I aimed it. I kinda figured it was my barrel length. I added the barrel and cut off what was sticking out from the foot long peice (maybe 4-6 inches?). I pulled the barrel out and redid it with a foot long peice and get BETTER, but not great, accuracy. The accuracy is good enough to get five of six hits on a full body target. Small, round targets like a rabbit or something harder to hit no matter what would be around the two of six range. It makes me happy at 80 feet though, so all I am going to try is an added 3b spring instead of the NF spring.
He came, He saw, and he conquered... But where did everyone go?

#24 rebsol

rebsol

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 03 June 2007 - 09:07 AM

I think the longshot is the new crossbow.

I don't think I will ever agree to this sentiment. I might agree if it were said about the maxshot or big blast, but then again those guns aren't as comfortable as the crossbow.

To reach the full potential and efficiency with the longshot you end up having to replace half of the working parts of the gun. That doesn't lend itself to being iconic for the same reasons that the crossbow, or other guns which only need a barrel replacement and minor reinforcement in order to become accurate and reliable weapons.
It COULD have been iconic, but the mechanical design has so many leaks, so many easily broken parts, and does several things backwards from the way they could have been done to reach a more reliable result.

While the longshot is much more complicated than the crossbow, I have never had to replace any of the parts. I have only replaced the springs and catch spring. On the subject of reinforcement if you use you're crossbow a lot you are gonna want to reinforce it. Same goes for any gun you use a lot and heavily mod. I think the longshot is comftorable enough. I don't think comfort has much to do with the quality of the gun. I hear the maxshot has an odd cocking system but is very good. I would rather do the more extensive and hard modding on a longshot to get great rof, range, and maybe accuracy with an FA24 breech. I do agree though that they might have made it a little simpler. But you get all the benefits of a longshot, which I think are better overall than the crossbow for 30-40 dollars less than the price of a crossbow.

#25 flameboy

flameboy

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 03 June 2007 - 09:17 AM

I agree with Cmdrmack because people have guns that they dont like and some they do. In my opinion I think the LS is awesome modded, unmodded it sucks :D

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users