Baby Powder Stock Darts

A simple mod for some simple aesthetics

23 replies to this topic

#1 Yazzeh

Yazzeh

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 08:10 PM

Now, I know that something LIKE this has already been posted once, but it isn't the same. As simple of a mod that this is, it works quite nicely, and you don't have to refill for every shot.

Basically, you take a stock dart and make a tiny hole approximately 1/4" down from the rubber lip that's at the beginning of the foam itself. Then take a funnel, pour in some baby powder or talcum powder, and plug the back of the dart with a very very tiny scrap of FBR. Don't pack it down too tightly, just make sure it stays in place. You want some air inside the pocket full of baby powder you just made. And there you have it. What happens is the air pressure of the gun pushes on the FBR first, causing it to push on the powder-air mix. This then exits the hole in the front of the dart, while the whole dart is already in motion. What's it do? Nothing, really. You just get a smokey shot. No trail, just a big blast of smokey goodness. Also, when the dart hits someone, it should leave a little mark of powder on them. This mod lets the darts be reused without having to refill. You get about 7 decently smokey shots before it starts to fade. There's no preformance decrease.

An added cool factor is for night fights. If you've done something like I have and stuck an actual laser pointer into your nite-finder, when you shoot a blast, your laser's beam shows up in the cloud of powder about 5-6 inches in front of your gun. It's amused me greatly!

I will agree with many of you in advance by saying that this mod won't help with nerf-wars or anything like that, but like I stated in my description, this is simple aesthetics. Just for looks and not practical at all.

Enjoy powder blastin'!

Edited by Yazzeh, 30 May 2007 - 08:33 PM.

#2 OfAllTheNerf

OfAllTheNerf

• Members
  • 714 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 08:25 PM

Okay, I'm not too sure what you mean. Do you mean you shoot seven blasts of smoke, and no dart, before you ahve to "refill" the dart with baby powder? If so, I see no reason to be puffing during a war to make people think you are smoking. It would be like telling everyone where you are, too.

Clarify if I'm wrong, but that's what I deciphered (I'm sure I'm probably wrong, because I don't think someone would want to puff about like that, unless they want to make it MilSim and pretend to be using "smoke grenades").

-OfAll'
[color=#FF6600][Finesse]-[BitchX]

#3 Yazzeh

Yazzeh

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 08:31 PM

Okay, I'm not too sure what you mean. Do you mean you shoot seven blasts of smoke, and no dart, before you ahve to "refill" the dart with baby powder? If so, I see no reason to be puffing during a war to make people think you are smoking. It would be like telling everyone where you are, too.

Clarify if I'm wrong, but that's what I deciphered (I'm sure I'm probably wrong, because I don't think someone would want to puff about like that, unless they want to make it MilSim and pretend to be using "smoke grenades").

-OfAll'

I mean that if you were to retrieve the smokey-dart you shot, you could fire it 6 more times before the smoke effect dissapates. I also stated that this isn't for warring. It's just for fun. It doesn't affect the gun, so once you stop using the smokey-dart, you can use normal darts without any 'smoke' involved. This could be fun for reenactments, and just horsing around. Like in a pirate scenario, you fire, smoke flies everywhere. It's not a practical modification, it's simply for kicks.

#4 keef

keef

• Members
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 08:32 PM

dude thats GREAT! I can imagine it now
"NERF WARZ: THE MOVIE"
stars wars music, in the middle the stars get all nerf shoted up and then you see all these smoking stefans and stocks flying all over!

btw nice write up!
Timothy M-Lick <3

#5 SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

• Members
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 08:59 PM

stars wars music, in the middle the stars get all nerf shoted up and then you see all these smoking stefans and stocks flying all over!

btw nice write up!

We usually don't like deciphering AIM-speak and atrocities to the written English language here.

This idea would be good for target practice with hard surfaces like plywood, assuming that the dart hits with enough force to actually leave a mark and not just a dusting of powder.
The only commonly shared fate among us all is death. I turn to the shadows so that I may not be unfamiliar with hell's corridors when I arrive. - SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

Founder of the Shadow Militia.
Founder of Nightshade Laboratories and The Nightshade Armament Corporation.

#6 OfAllTheNerf

OfAllTheNerf

• Members
  • 714 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 09:03 PM

I get what you're saying now.

And if you were to actually use this is a war, it might have a use. Itf you could get colored powder, and you were using a high powered gun, when the dart hit it would leave a small mark. This would cut down the amount of argueing as to who got hit by whom, when why and where.

People might get annoyed by the powder, but as you said, it isn't all that practical.
[color=#FF6600][Finesse]-[BitchX]

#7 TJ

TJ

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 09:23 PM

A friend and I were thinking of filming a short nerf movie, this could make it just a bit cooler. Thanks.
Rambo: Sir, do we get to win this time?
Trautman: This time? This time it's up to you.

#8 Yazzeh

Yazzeh

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 09:28 PM

This idea would be good for target practice with hard surfaces like plywood, assuming that the dart hits with enough force to actually leave a mark and not just a dusting of powder.

Well, first of all, powder doesn't STICK to hard surfaces. Unless that hard surface is porous or rough. I haven't been able to try it out on any material yet, I just tested out the powder blast function. You could probably increase the amount of powder to mark someone with by adding a second hole, but loading the darts manually would be messy. Even with one hole, the powder will shoot little spurts out as I twist it in, but nothing that's inconvenient.

Using a powder to mark people is a lot less annoying than using liquid or blunt-force trauma (welts). Someone suggested chalking up the front of the darts before play, but that would wear off after every hit, so reusing ammunition would require the time to reload as well as rechalk (if you aren't playing by an honor system). My darts could be used 7 times before you have to worry about 'priming' it to leave marks. Anyways, I don't want to get into the technicalities of using these darts in wars. The effect you get immediately after the shot is a huge misty smokey wall right in front of your gun. If that doesn't give you away, well hell, you're playing blindfolded-nerf-war.

...which in retrospect sounds kind of interesting.

#9 Twitch

Twitch

• Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 09:54 PM

I'd love to see the mess those things would leave when I empty a turret from my RF20; I think I'll show up with a bag of these at my next meeting, and just see the reaction when someone gets hosed in baby powder.
"If Groove was a woman, I'd totally have asked him to go home with me tonight ...is that weird?"
~bpso86

"Being a moderator on NHQ is like being a judge in the Special Olympics."
~JediJoe9

#10 PointBlank

PointBlank

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 12:03 PM

Thats a great idea! Thanks for the post. :rolleyes:
You can agree with me.... or you can be wrong.

My Latest Mods
The Cyclops
Pointblank Titan

#11 keef

keef

• Members
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 02:10 PM

btw nice write up!

We usually don't like deciphering AIM-speak and atrocities to the written English language here.

i don't like people telling me what to do, ill write how i write live and let live man
but you know what, screw it! I'll write all nice and correct just so i don't get banned for 30 years haha.

Edited by keef, 31 May 2007 - 02:38 PM.

Timothy M-Lick <3

#12 bobafan

bobafan

• Members
  • 635 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 03:11 PM

That was a bad example of your promised change.

I like this idea except sealing off the back. I think it might make the dart less stable. I'll try it though.
thaygor: all i remimber is pumping it hard and shooting than trying to pump again

---

<death09>my girlfriend broke up with me and sent me pix of her and her new boyfriend in bed
<ktp753>ouch.
<death09>yeah.i sent them to her dad

#13 NerfFreak

NerfFreak

• Members
  • 200 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 03:51 PM

A friend and I were thinking of filming a short nerf movie, this could make it just a bit cooler. Thanks.

Add some zombies, and a plane, and call it, "Flight of the Living Dead".

Actually, don't do that. I'm doing that one myself.

Dibs.

Anyway, sounds pretty cool. You could probably fill it also with some colored sand, like the stuff they use to fill the bottles to make, "art".
Nuckin' Futz

#14 Yazzeh

Yazzeh

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 05:12 PM

Anyway, sounds pretty cool. You could probably fill it also with some colored sand, like the stuff they use to fill the bottles to make, "art".

The granules of sand might be too large and heavy in general. Maybe if you blended the sand, it'd be a lot smoother, but it'd still be pretty heavy.

Sealing off the back is required for this, otherwise you get a plunger full of baby powder, and that'll either mess up your gun totally or just decrease the preformance 100-fold.

Anyways, you aren't adding much mass to the back by sealing it off. The tip of the stock darts will still be heavy enough to outweigh the baby powder and the small scrap of FBR you put in the back. An additional note... Make sure the FBR you put in the back is wedged nicely in there. If not, it'll pop out after a shot or two, or force way too much baby powder out at once.

Firing 20 of these out of a rapid fire 20 would be hell. Your rapid fire 20 would have to have the rods removed of course, but yeah, it would be a hell of a smokey mess. Make sure you aren't down-wind.

Edited by Yazzeh, 31 May 2007 - 05:12 PM.

#15 sourskttles772

sourskttles772

• Banned
  • 263 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 05:31 PM

I dont understand how the powder falls out. If the fbr is covering it.
http://nerfon.smffor...3.com/index.php
One man Clan:
I saw the Crossbow re-release on the shelf at my local Target, but I didn't want to tell anyone because I wanted them all to myself. I hid them all behind Dora the Explorer toys....
[/quote]

#16 nerfer909

nerfer909

• Banned
  • 141 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 05:31 PM

He said that he put a hole in the dart by the tip.
Step 1: Throw TTG against wall.
Step 2: Drive to Toy Store.
Step 3: Buy a NF.

Blasphemy. I think you need to throw yourself against a wall, drive to store and buy yourself a brain.

#17 sourskttles772

sourskttles772

• Banned
  • 263 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 06:15 PM

On the side?
http://nerfon.smffor...3.com/index.php
One man Clan:
I saw the Crossbow re-release on the shelf at my local Target, but I didn't want to tell anyone because I wanted them all to myself. I hid them all behind Dora the Explorer toys....
[/quote]

#18 Gengar003

Gengar003

• Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 08:42 PM

This is what I envisioned:

Posted Image
I bought Kohls.com's last two AirTech 2000s.

#19 Yazzeh

Yazzeh

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 11:00 PM

This is what I envisioned:

*image*

Yeah, that's pretty much exactly it. I've also tried putting the hole in the center of the actual rubber suction tip. It was less messy in general, as the rubber seals itself until the blast of the gun forces the powder through it, but that there's no giant poof of powder when you shoot, and also, the mark it leaves on someone is rather small in comparison to having the hole on the side. I actually made the hole using a small screwdriver from my screwdriver set, and I made the hole at a bit of a diagonal, as to create a more readily available passage for the powder to escape. I tested both ideas out on a navy blue pair of shorts draped over my fan, and it works, and the powder clings quite well. To completely get rid of it, you'd probably have to wash it. Otherwise, rubbing it and trying to rub it off with spit will only make the mark fade. I think the dart with the hole in the suction tip is more practical in wars, and the hole in the side is more practical for aesthetics. To make a hole in the center of the suction cup (I used the Buzz Bee brand of dart for this one) I poked a jumbo saftey-pin through the center, then used a sharp wood-carving blade (those scalpel type things) to pierce closely around the 'hole' I made in a square. This way, the powder can easily escape with a bit of pressure, but won't fall out with handling.

Edited by Yazzeh, 31 May 2007 - 11:02 PM.

#20 Retiate

Retiate

• Members
  • 778 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 12:00 AM

Would it be possible for you to get a video of these darts firing at something?

#21 Yazzeh

Yazzeh

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 08:08 AM

Would it be possible for you to get a video of these darts firing at something?

Haha, I wish I could right now, but I've been busy packing for Italy, and I'm leaving today. The only thing I have at my disposal that could even take video is my sister's digital camera. Anyways, unless you all want to wait 2 weeks for me to make a short clip, why not just try it yourself? The dart isn't ruined and it's not that hard of a thing to do. But yeah, I will end up posting a video up in 2 weeks, I dunno if I should revive this thread by then for that. It'll be a video in light and dark, so you can see the laser beam with the powder cloud.

#22 Twitch

Twitch

• Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 08:36 AM

Firing 20 of these out of a rapid fire 20 would be hell. Your rapid fire 20 would have to have the rods removed of course, but yeah, it would be a hell of a smokey mess. Make sure you aren't down-wind.

My RF20, named "The Ruckus" has been modified with CPVC barrels, and in about a week I"ll be posting my write-up to have it using swappable clips. (I'll post it after next week, exams are coming up.)
"If Groove was a woman, I'd totally have asked him to go home with me tonight ...is that weird?"
~bpso86

"Being a moderator on NHQ is like being a judge in the Special Olympics."
~JediJoe9

#23 Guest_DarkInfection_*

Guest_DarkInfection_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 June 2007 - 01:53 PM

Thanks for Hijacking the thread, you comment was fucking useless (and so was mine).

#24 CustomSnake202

CustomSnake202

• Members
  • 506 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 07:19 PM

I like your idea and it seems as though it works very well. However, powder + lungs doesn't seem like a good thing to me. I use to fill up a small homemade with powder just to shoot out clouds of smoke. It was cool, but you drag a lot of the particles into your lungs when you breathe. I know your darts do not emit tons of powder due to their small size, but breathing all that powder in shot after shot seems harmful.

Using this type of dart once in a while would be useful (like these zombie nerf movies I'm hearing so much about). However, I wouldn't make it a habit of using them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users