Minimized Nightfinder Question

Bridging the gap, if you will.

17 replies to this topic

#1 Daedalin

Daedalin

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 28 May 2007 - 08:52 PM

I recently PPK'd my nightfinder, and decided to paint it. While getting all the bits and pieces ready in my garage, I realized that it would look like crap with that giant hole in the front of it where I cut off the light and ammo holders.

How did some of you guys close that up? I've seen a lot of pictures of electrical tape over it, but I want something that'll look nice when I've finished painting it up. I tried some plastic from an old UMD case- it wouldn't take to the glue I was using. Any ideas?

Thanks for anything that pops up in here in advance! ^^
Power Metal Rule Number Twenty-eight
Songs come in two tempos: Metal and Ballad.

#2 DTReaper

DTReaper

• Members
  • 309 posts

Posted 28 May 2007 - 08:54 PM

Bondo. Thats the simplest answer to your problem. you can mold it to anyshape and its mildly tough.

-DTR
QUOTE(VACC @ Dec 5 2008, 12:09 AM) View Post

That's it. I'm done. I'm sorry there are breasts on the Internet.

#3 Daedalin

Daedalin

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 28 May 2007 - 08:57 PM

Thanks for the uber-quick response!

I don't have any Bondo around, would Home Depot stock it? I've got one about ten minutes away.
Power Metal Rule Number Twenty-eight
Songs come in two tempos: Metal and Ballad.

#4 bobafan

bobafan

• Members
  • 635 posts

Posted 28 May 2007 - 10:49 PM

I filled the entire extra space with hot glue. Sure it is almost as heavy as stock, but it will NEVER bust in two.
thaygor: all i remimber is pumping it hard and shooting than trying to pump again

---

<death09>my girlfriend broke up with me and sent me pix of her and her new boyfriend in bed
<ktp753>ouch.
<death09>yeah.i sent them to her dad

#5 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 28 May 2007 - 10:56 PM

1/16" thickness ABS plastic. It's a pretty soft plastic and can be cut using tin snips. It can also easily be solvent-welded to polyethylene
The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#6 frost vectron

frost vectron

• Members
  • 526 posts

Posted 28 May 2007 - 10:56 PM

You can find Bondo at most automotive stores. Hardware stores may have them too.

Try: Autozone, Kragen, or OSH (they have an automotive department for sure).

You can also try getting a paper cup and a good amount of baby powder (talcum) in it. Spray primer in the cup and mix it with a stick until it's a thick paste. Spread it on the gun (works the same as bondo would) and it's easy to shape/sand.
Latest Modification: The Professional

"I am a leaf on the wind--watch how I soar" - Hoban "Wash" Washburne, Serenity.

#7 mini

mini

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 28 May 2007 - 11:53 PM

Id say the easiest/cheapest way to do this would be use plastic form a 2L bottle of pop. You can then use a hot glue gun to melt spots of the plastic to the shell of the night finder. This method works ridiculing well and its stupidly simple.

#8 Carrtoon

Carrtoon

• Contributors
  • 289 posts

Posted 29 May 2007 - 12:16 AM

The best way I've found as of now is hot glue. I sprayed the inside of only one half of the shell with silicone spray first to prevent the glue from binding. This allows you to take the gun apart again if you want to. Hot glue also won't crack like bondo or leave many visible marks when it's taken apart. This is due to the fact that it's spongy instead of brittle. Here's one of my past NFs with hot glue filler:

Posted Image
When beauty breaks the spell of pain
The bludgeoned heart shall burst in vain
But not when love be pointed king
And truth shall Thee forever reign

#9 nerfer909

nerfer909

• Banned
  • 141 posts

Posted 29 May 2007 - 09:08 AM

How much glue did it take you to do that?
Step 1: Throw TTG against wall.
Step 2: Drive to Toy Store.
Step 3: Buy a NF.

Blasphemy. I think you need to throw yourself against a wall, drive to store and buy yourself a brain.

#10 nerfboi

nerfboi

• Members
  • 858 posts

Posted 29 May 2007 - 07:41 PM

I see the hot glue part, but I'm wondering whats that blockish part under the barrel?
We Ride together, we die together, Bad boys for life.

#11 Carrtoon

Carrtoon

• Contributors
  • 289 posts

Posted 29 May 2007 - 10:26 PM

It took quite a few mini glue sticks. I'd recommend using a cool glue gun to prevent the plastic from melting though.

Nerfboi, the blockish part of the barrel is hot glue. That whole area is hot glue. I just decided to cut the gun less than most people do. I like the added block

#12 nerfboi

nerfboi

• Members
  • 858 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 12:05 AM

Man, I'm with you there. I cut mine just like yours.
Also, was it hard to make that block?
We Ride together, we die together, Bad boys for life.

#13 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 12:22 AM

Carrtoon, that filler job is the best I have ever seen.
I don't get my kicks out of you,
I don't feel the way I used to do.
I know its bad,
After what we had,
But I’m just not the angel you knew.

#14 watkins

watkins

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 12:44 AM

As I said in the modification pictures thread, I just used scraps of plastic removed during the minimization itself so the material was consistent for better painting. It came out pretty good, but I can definitely do better.
Posted Image

EDIT:
Something else I plan on trying some day. Gift cards, empty of course. Theyre a good size for small holes and sturdy, but with some flex. The same thing used to buy the guns can become a part of them.

Edited by watkins, 30 May 2007 - 01:08 AM.

#15 Gengar003

Gengar003

• Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 12:54 AM

I use craft foam.

It comes in colors surprisingly similar to Nerf Gun plastic - I've got foam matching my Titan, AT2K, EaB, Nitefinders, and BBB. I covered the gap on my NF with some craft foam cut to fit, then hot-glued. (And BBB, and EaB)

I had to remove it to re-open the gun to fix it, though. If this topic's still going when I get around to putting it back on, I'll post a picture.
I bought Kohls.com's last two AirTech 2000s.

#16 Richomundo

Richomundo

• Members
  • 196 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 07:32 PM

Keep in mind that oftentimes gift cards need to be put into the register when totally emptied or the clerk can get written up.

#17 Carrtoon

Carrtoon

• Contributors
  • 289 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 07:47 PM

Thanks Forsaken. The sharp lines are a little hard to get. I used a bandsaw, which gunked up pretty fast. If you use a fast spinning tool, the glue with gum it up pretty badly. I'd suggest a heated utility knife and then sandpaper.

#18 Gengar003

Gengar003

• Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 11:36 PM

Here we go. I've closed up the holes in my minimized Nitefinder rather nicely with yellow craft foam:

Posted Image

Also my Big Bad Bow and Expand-a-blast, if you're interested.
I bought Kohls.com's last two AirTech 2000s.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users