Photo

Nf Question

17 replies to this topic

#1 Dayko

Dayko

• Members
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 01:06 PM

If I do the A/R removal and the brass barrel. Will stock darts(That is the darts that come with the gun right?) still fly far? I'm just asking cause I did the limiter removal on my Maverick and my darts that came with the gun lost half the range.

< One foot in death...The other in life. >

#2 Quilan Fett

Quilan Fett

• Members
  • 678 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 01:08 PM

If I do the A/R removal and the brass barrel. Will stock darts(That is the darts that come with the gun right?) still fly far? I'm just asking cause I did the limiter removal on my Maverick and my darts that came with the gun lost half the range.

Yes, they will work fine.
SNAP Shotgun

This guy can see the future!

QUOTE(pokemaster @ Mar 3 2009, 04:18 PM) View Post

hasbro in a nerf war!!!!! dude the will cancel it and confinscate are guns

#3 Dayko

Dayko

• Members
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 01:19 PM

Yes, they will work fine.

I won't lose range? Will I gain range with the stock darts?

#4 Retiate

Retiate

• Members
  • 778 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 01:27 PM

What size brass? If it's 17/32", then yes, stock dart range will improve. I'd suggest adding rubber bands too, that'll increase power.

#5 PointBlank

PointBlank

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 02:39 PM

It depends on what size brass you are using.

Edited by PointBlank, 19 May 2007 - 03:05 PM.

You can agree with me.... or you can be wrong.

My Latest Mods
The Cyclops
Pointblank Titan

#6 Carbon

Carbon

Contriberator

• Moderators
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 05:50 PM

I'm just asking cause I did the limiter removal on my Maverick and my darts that came with the gun lost half the range.

That's mostly because a Mav is a fussy gun to mod. A NF is much easier to mod, with much more predictable results.
Hello. I am Indigo of the Rainbow Clan. You Nerfed my father. Prepare to die.

#7 Thom

Thom

• Members
  • 759 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 08:04 PM

If you remove a Mav's air restrictors, you have to re-seal the barrel – the air restrictors cover gaps in it. I'd recommend just drilling the restrictors.

I did a generic brass mod on my NF, but I don't have any stefans. Dart tag darts get at least 60'.

#8 Dayko

Dayko

• Members
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 12:09 AM

What if I use 9/16" brass? Will it work as well as the 17/32"?

#9 Carbon

Carbon

Contriberator

• Moderators
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 12:14 AM

What if I use 9/16" brass? Will it work as well as the 17/32"?

Depends on if you're using stock darts or stefans, and the size of your FBR. Stock darts work best in 17/32", while FBR can be variable between manufacturers.
Hello. I am Indigo of the Rainbow Clan. You Nerfed my father. Prepare to die.

#10 Dayko

Dayko

• Members
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 12:25 AM

So if I use 17/32" brass it will work good for both stock and Stefans?

#11 wallymaniac

wallymaniac

• Banned
  • 108 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 08:57 AM

So if I use 17/32" brass it will work good for both stock and Stefans?

If you make your Stefans the same size as stock darts.

I was playing with my titan, and I found my dads shotgun shells. The shottyshell shot fine but when it hit that rock it exploded.

You should have shot at yourself. You would have won a Darwin Award.

#12 Dayko

Dayko

• Members
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 12:25 AM

I decided on copper cause that's all Lowe's had. I think it was 1/2". I modded it then I tried too fire it, it did maybe 6'. Then I took apart the gun too see if I had done anything wrong, I found that the barrel was angled. So I took all the hot glue off the barrel and straightened it. Again I fired but alas only maybe 6'. So I figured out that the copper was a little too big, so I put some sand paper in the tube then I tried again, it got over 40' this time! There was too much air flow in the tube.

#13 nerfboi

nerfboi

• Members
  • 858 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 06:40 PM

Copper isn't the best barrel replacement(for some, it's great). You should try CPVC
We Ride together, we die together, Bad boys for life.

#14 SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

• Members
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 06:51 PM

I decided on copper cause that's all Lowe's had.

Major hardware retailers do not, for the most part, carry brass, as it is not a popular item for their target market. Try hobby shops or websites like McMaster-Carr. Copper does not have the reliable and close-fitting sizes of brass, CPVC, or PETG. I would recommend replacing the barrel, since modded NFs are supposed to get around 60-70 feet, not 40.
The only commonly shared fate among us all is death. I turn to the shadows so that I may not be unfamiliar with hell's corridors when I arrive. - SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

Founder of the Shadow Militia.
Founder of Nightshade Laboratories and The Nightshade Armament Corporation.

#15 butleriscool123

butleriscool123

• Banned
  • 56 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 10:41 PM

Why dont you just try it out instead of making a big topic about it? Easy as that.

#16 Retiate

Retiate

• Members
  • 778 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 10:50 PM

Why dont you just try it out instead of making a big topic about it? Easy as that.

So he can know what he wants to buy before he goes out and makes a purchase. It'll save time and money.

What I would suggest doing, is taking a Stefan/stock dart to a place that has brass (I've only found it at one Ace Hardware store) then find what size brass fits your Stefans/stock darts the best. Also check other things like CPVC or Sch. 80 PVC (if they have it).

#17 AirApache

AirApache

• Members
  • 743 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 11:50 PM

In general the size of brass or PVC varies slightly depending on where you get it, so asking online isn't necessarily the best way to find out. Also your FBR size might be different depending on where you got it or how you straighten it.

In general, you should get an increase of range, no matter what, with your modded gun. However, choose your stock darts wisely, because you may lose range if your gun is too powerful for too light of a dart. I'd suggest getting those darts with the velcro on front for sticking to a target, or whistling darts and filling them with hot glue. These are nice because they are perfectly balanced radially. I get maybe about 20-30 additional feet with my stock darts with my modded Nitefinder, so you should be ok. Plus, for the range that you'll be shooting anybody with them, it really doesn't matter that much.

AA
Indiana '11

#18 OfAllTheNerf

OfAllTheNerf

• Members
  • 714 posts

Posted 26 May 2007 - 03:24 PM

I agree with what everyone has said: Use 17/32" brass tubing. If you can't find it anywhere around you (I'm SO lucky that my hardware store right in town carries brass), then you can either find some online (some people have already said some place, listen to them (e.g. McMaster)). CaptainSlug is selling multiple sizes of brass here, one of them being 17/32". The thread is pretty old, but he hasn't done anything to indicate that they aren't still up for sale.

I don't think anyone has said this (just read the thread once through), but if you are only using stock darts then only use 3 inched of brass; this will ensure that the dart is as close to the air output as it possibly can be. You might also want to nest some smaller brass inside the brass barrel, but I have never modded a gun specifically so that it can fire stock darts, so maybe you should ask someone else about that (if no one else knows/answers, I would say 1/2"-1", but no more).

Hope this helps,

-OfAll'

Edited by OfAllTheNerf, 26 May 2007 - 03:29 PM.

[color=#FF6600][Finesse]-[BitchX]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users