Sonic Air Bazooka Mod Writeup

better pics

20 replies to this topic

#1 nerfer34

nerfer34

• Members
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 06:13 PM

Alrite so I was frustrated with LBB's cheap pump and leak problems. So I bought A Sonic Air Bazooka. Right out of the box it was average. But I really liked the feel of the gun. The pump is much better than the LBB's.

I do realize that the LBB has more power than this, so I decided not to go fancy with this, and just do a basic single barrel mod.
Open it up.

Posted Image

The trigger/valve setup is a little wierd... Here it is when it is fully primed
Posted Image
Here it is after you shot
Posted Image
Posted Image
Here is how I improved the trigger by adding a small dab of hot glue.
Posted Image

Now for the pump.... This gun comes with the pump accessible! It's so easy! Just plugging the pump with hot glue. *Leave the outer holes! The gun WILL NOT prime if you plug the outer holes.*
Posted Image

Now for the barrel. I decided to go with a 1/2" PVC coupler, so I can experiment with barrels on this thing and have a quicker reload time. I cut down the stock barrel just enough so the center of the coupler was parallel with the stock barrel. I plumber's Gopped it in to make sure that it is airtight.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Now this creates a VERY STRONG bond. This coupler isn't going anywhere. But this will not fit completely back into the stock shell. SO take out some wire cutters or a dremel or some cutting utensil and cut off the casing that originally held the stock barrel. YOu need to cut off some of the plastic, since the PVC coupler is larger than the stock barrel.

Put the gun back together.
Posted Image

Make some barrels and fire.
Posted Image

This gun gets a little more than an st2k but a little less than a fully functional LBB.
But I will say this.... THIS IS THE MOST ACCURATE GUN I'VE EVER DEALT WITH. It's amazing. I can hit a 1x1 piece of carboard from 80' away every time. The accuracy is due to the way the air releases... It's valve makes just enough air to the dart. I also like how the gun is nice and small. I recomend this thing for its cheap price tag of $10.

Edited by nerfer34, 26 May 2007 - 07:04 AM.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->God Damn it Groove, you stole my kill.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->-OMC

#2 nerfer909

nerfer909

• Banned
  • 141 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 06:58 PM

It is really blurry, but from what i can make out, it was really good.
Step 1: Throw TTG against wall.
Step 2: Drive to Toy Store.
Step 3: Buy a NF.

Blasphemy. I think you need to throw yourself against a wall, drive to store and buy yourself a brain.

#3 Gengar003

Gengar003

• Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 07:00 PM

Look for the "macro" option on digital cameras when taking closeup pictures. It will make them not blurry.

This is informative for me, because the valve is different than the LBB valve. My LBB's valve leaks, and I hear about their general flimsiness. I also like the looks of this pump more than the LBB's. No hacksawing required to plug it? SCORE! I want one of these now.

Where did you get yours?

Also, how many screws did you have to remove to open it?

Edited by Gengar003, 24 May 2007 - 07:00 PM.

I bought Kohls.com's last two AirTech 2000s.

#4 nerfer34

nerfer34

• Members
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 08:13 PM

Yea the great part of this gun is that its almost anti-leak.

its very easy to get the gun open. Easier than the LBB.
EDIT- I bought mine off of amazon.com, but I'm sure they sell them in other places.

Edited by nerfer34, 24 May 2007 - 08:14 PM.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->God Damn it Groove, you stole my kill.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->-OMC

#5 commander erik

commander erik

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 09:41 PM

EDIT- I bought mine off of amazon.com, but I'm sure they sell them in other places.

Actually, they seem to be really hard to find in stores.
You only have to remove about 10 screws to get it open.
The pump is prelubed with some stuff that reminds me of gummy petroleum jelly, but it doesn't seem to degrade O-rings like other substances do.

The only complaint that I have is that the handle is a little far forward for me. I had to cut down some of the nobs on the pump handle so that it would fully pump when I held it by the handle.

On topic, I am a little confused on the hot glue part. Did you put it on the pin coming out of the valve or did you put a small dab on the back of the trigger? Could you indicate (maybe in MS paint?) where the glue is and how much is there?
USA

#6 SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

• Members
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 10:02 PM

On topic, I am a little confused on the hot glue part. Did you put it on the pin coming out of the valve or did you put a small dab on the back of the trigger? Could you indicate (maybe in MS paint?) where the glue is and how much is there?

The hot glue just makes it a hair-trip trigger (more sensitive with a shorter trigger pull). It is not really necessary if you don't mind the longer trigger travel. If you do do this, the glue goes on the back of the trigger on top of the portion that sticks out over the spring. If you put the hot glue on the release button, it might not depress fully or correctly.

I ordered one of these in a combo pack with a First Shot a while ago on amazon.com. I didn't want to mod it because it looked really cheap and breakable, but it's good to know that it's so accurate and with great range. For the barrels I'm assuming that you used a standard 12-inch 17/32 brass tube, right?

Edited by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA, 27 May 2007 - 07:38 PM.

The only commonly shared fate among us all is death. I turn to the shadows so that I may not be unfamiliar with hell's corridors when I arrive. - SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

Founder of the Shadow Militia.
Founder of Nightshade Laboratories and The Nightshade Armament Corporation.

#7 nerfer34

nerfer34

• Members
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 05:20 AM

Actually, they seem to be really hard to find in stores.
You only have to remove about 10 screws to get it open.
The pump is prelubed with some stuff that reminds me of gummy petroleum jelly, but it doesn't seem to degrade O-rings like other substances do.

The only complaint that I have is that the handle is a little far forward for me. I had to cut down some of the nobs on the pump handle so that it would fully pump when I held it by the handle.

Shadow Hunter Alpha explained it well. I just marked with a sharpie what piece of the trigger hit the valve and put a dab of hotglue there. It has been proven that the range and accuracy has been increased by this simple upgrade.

The hot glue just makes it a hair-trip trigger (more sensitive with a shorter trigger pull). It is not really necessary if you don't mind the longer trigger travel. If you do do this, the glue goes on the back of the trigger on top of the portion that sticks out over the spring. If you put the hot glue on the release button, it might not depress fully or correctly.

I ordered one of these in a combo pack with a First Shot a whilw ago on amazon.com. I didn't want to mod it because it looked really cheap and breakable, but it's good to know that it's so accurate and with great range. For the barrels I'm assuming that you used a standard 12-inch 17/32 brass tube, right?

Yea, I thought it'd be chap out of the box, but it actually really isn't. I am currently experimenting with barrels. IN the picture I am using 9" of 9/16" brass. I have actually discovered that PETG is working very well with this gun.

#8 Tim

Tim

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 10:05 PM

Nice writup minus the blurry photos. I only have 2 problems with it and they are 1. I don't really like how it cocks and 2. I have never seen one in stores. But other than that, Great writup, although I can't really see where you put the hot glue.
-Tim

Mollasicist- One who makes things PAINFULLY slow for somebody else, like the lady at the checkout line

#9 nerfer34

nerfer34

• Members
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 26 May 2007 - 07:03 AM

OK, I took some new pics, now there is only 1 pic that is really blurry. AGain I only have acess to this camera.

You can see what I did to the tigger in the pics. PLus I explained it.

#10 anders

anders

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 26 May 2007 - 07:21 AM

Now for the pump.... This gun comes with the pump accessible! It's so easy! Just plugging the pump with hot glue. *Leave the outer holes! The gun WILL NOT prime if you plug the outer holes.*
Posted Image

ehm. I am pretty sure i plugged all the holes in the pump and it worked out just fine for me. And this gun doesn't really need a coupler since a cpvc barrel with a little e-tape around it fits perfectly in the stock barrel.
QUOTE(VACC @ Aug 16 2007, 03:52 AM) View Post

Does posting in agreement somehow validate your standing in the community? Personally I think it just makes you look like a tool.

the el snapo again

#11 nerfer34

nerfer34

• Members
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 26 May 2007 - 07:31 AM

Posted Image

ehm. I am pretty sure i plugged all the holes in the pump and it worked out just fine for me. And this gun doesn't really need a coupler since a cpvc barrel with a little e-tape around it fits perfectly in the stock barrel.

Nope that is the gun's stock lubricants around those outer holes, not hot glue. And 1) CPVC hardly fits anyone's darts.2) I want to seee which barrel works the best with this gun3) I want to be able to add a removable breech 4) I want a faster reload time instead of ramrodding darts down a barrel.

#12 anders

anders

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 26 May 2007 - 07:55 AM

Posted Image

Nope that is the gun's stock lubricants around those outer holes, not hot glue. And 1) CPVC hardly fits anyone's darts.2) I want to seee which barrel works the best with this gun3) I want to be able to add a removable breech 4) I want a faster reload time instead of ramrodding darts down a barrel.

I think you misunderstood me. I PLUGGED ALL THE HOLES IN THE PUMP. You didn't. And it works great for me. That's all i wanted to say.

Does posting in agreement somehow validate your standing in the community? Personally I think it just makes you look like a tool.

the el snapo again

#13 monkey with a nf

monkey with a nf

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 26 May 2007 - 08:03 AM

Are you sure that the plug is airtight? I can't imagine how the pump would work if it was sealed as you say, because there would be no way for air to flow in front of the o-ring when the pump is pulled out.
QUOTE(Pineapple @ Sep 12 2007, 03:13 PM) View Post

For maximum efficiency?

1. Pump up. Count how many pumps.

2. Keep going until you hear a loud "bang".

3. Subtract one pump from the total. Rebuild your air bladder.

There you go.

#14 anders

anders

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 26 May 2007 - 08:12 AM

Are you sure that the plug is airtight? I can't imagine how the pump would work if it was sealed as you say, because there would be no way for air to flow in front of the o-ring when the pump is pulled out.

You are right that it teoreticly wont work but it does. I just followed this writeup.

the el snapo again

#15 commander erik

commander erik

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 27 May 2007 - 04:34 PM

*pic

Nope that is the gun's stock lubricants around those outer holes, not hot glue. And 1) CPVC hardly fits anyone's darts.2) I want to see which barrel works the best with this gun3) I want to be able to add a removable breech 4) I want a faster reload time instead of ramrodding darts down a barrel.

No, anders is right. I also plugged all 3 holes and it still works.
Have you ever left darts in cpvc for a period of time (a day or so)? They shrink (for a short time, anyway) a little bit and are a perfect fit to your CPVC.
I think you misunderstand the point of Cpvc. On this gun, a cpvc barrel with some electrical tape slides down the barrel and stays there until you remove it, much like your pvc barrels and that coupler. To relaod, you just take the barrel out and rear-load a stefan.

Look at my mod for a better explanation.

Edited by commander erik, 27 May 2007 - 04:37 PM.

USA

#16 nerfer34

nerfer34

• Members
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 28 May 2007 - 09:53 AM

Well Carrtoon did it HERE too. and I also plugged all the holes, just to prove that it doesn't pressurize. If you plug all holes, the gun won't work. You probably plugged all the holes on the top.

#17 battle12

battle12

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 07:08 PM

Great Mod! <_< I'm going to use this at the next war.

#18 silentsnipe

silentsnipe

• Members
  • 377 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 07:20 PM

Great Mod! <_< I'm going to use this at the next war.

Do you realize you just posted in a 1 year old topic?

Effeminate FAIL.

Edited by silentsnipe, 16 December 2008 - 07:20 PM.

And it's absolutely rated R for the violence. Also boobies. And pee pees.

Talio.

Join TheNerfFreaks.forumotion.com TODAY!

#19 k9turrent

k9turrent

• Members
  • 829 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 07:27 PM

yup, almost as bad as this...
<Inappropriate Image>

FYI, ^ that's a toilet
QUOTE View Post

That's about it. And thanks Angela who helped me with these pictures.. It looks huge in her hands.

HOLY CRAP!

FU ALL

#20 Split

Split

• Members
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 07:40 PM

FYI, that's totally photoshopped, and we don't need new, inexperienced members reprimanding others of the same position. We have 10 admins. It only takes one person to PM an admin to notify the poster of his mistake. The rest of us can go on without a word.

I do feel the need to point out that this whole mod is pretty crappy overall. Don't goop couplers on, they'll fall off. Making the trigger pull shorter won't increase accuracy, and neither will the near-negligible change in flow rate between these guns.

Oh, and barrel materials don't match guns; they match darts. And e-tape on cpvc makes for a terrible way to coupler a gun.

Admins Pm'ed. Just had to get the nonsense in this thread out of the way.
Teehee.

#21 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 10:55 PM

yup, almost as bad as this...
<Inappropriate Image>

FYI, ^ that's a toilet

Do I need to tell you how out of line you were here? If one member would like to post after a necro and politely inform the new member of his mistake, that's constructive. Piling on him is unnecessary and extremely erotic. As for posting questionable images...this is not fucking 4chan.

Battle12, this topic is very old and you added nothing to it by posting. Please read the Code of Conduct. We all make mistakes, and there are a lot of rules here, so please take the time to familiarize yourself with this document. Violating it will lead to suspension.

See how easy that was. Thank you Split for lending some perspective and shitting on someone's questionable mod. THAT is what we are all about.

VACC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users