Last Armageddon (Armageddon XV)

Southern California War

105 replies to this topic

#76 Thorn

Thorn

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 10:27 PM

Will there be a lunch break? And if so, how long will it be?

#77 CaliforniaPants

CaliforniaPants

Futtbrustrated

• Moderators
  • 459 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 07:55 PM

Does anyone have one of those slugfire singled shells for the sledgefire that they would let me use for a bit/sell me at the war?

trans as shit because fuck you

#78 Ice Nine

Ice Nine

Prince Dangus

• Administrators
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 02:51 AM

Will there be a lunch break? And if so, how long will it be?

There will be a lunch break. We usually play it by ear, and see how tired people are after a few rounds, but it usually happens around 12:30 or 1:00. I'm going to aim for half an hour lunch break but people can take up to an hour. We can do a small round with people who are interested when lunch starts.

Unholy Three: DUPLUM SCRTA, DUPLUM PROBLEMA (2009)

But Zeke guns tend to be like proofs by contradiction

Theoretically solid but actually non-constructive

Rnbw Cln

#79 AbstractSociety

AbstractSociety

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 09:14 PM

Pretty hyped for tomorrow!

#80 Thorn

Thorn

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 10:15 PM

Forgot to say that I'm a definite. I'll be bringing some loaners (I'm bringing a ESLT Blaster, Overhauled AT3K, Pumpsnap, +Bow, and Rainbow pistol. Whatever I'm not using I'll probably be willing to loan out), but I don't have any extra darts to loan out, so if you wan't to borrow anything you have to use your own darts.

#81 Mully

Mully

• Members
  • 342 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 01:18 AM

What a great war. The only bad part was when we all had to go home an hour and a half after it was officially over.

+ The location was ideal.
+ The crowd was great, as was the turnout.
+ Missile crisis had a definitive winner, and it didn't last 2-1/2 hours.
+ The rounds were well organized, and their were plenty of 'em.
+ My stuff didn't break.
+ Pants hit me with a hot pink Z-curve bow from like 50'

Edited by Mully, 22 June 2014 - 01:21 AM.

S.C.U.N.

#82 Groove

Groove

Certified Badass

• Founders
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 07:39 PM

Easily one of the best wars I've been to in the past 7 years.

It was a real treat to meet a bunch of new people and see my East Coast clan mates again.

• Awesome war site. Incredibly simple layout, but incredibly fun.
  • Good variety in rounds and good pacing throughout the day.
  • Meeting Ice Nine, Zorn, Draconis et al for the first time.
  • Seeing Spoon again for the first time in ten years...and feeling old.
  • Watching Huxxley charge in and dismantle flanks with stock blasters.
  • Watching Thorn systematically destroy entire groups with his blaster.
  • Meeting and hanging with the Washington state guys. Cool dudes, good nerfers.
  • Watching Langley eat a pastrami sandwich with insane focus, intensity, and gusto.
It was good to shake off the rust. Definitely coming to the next war!

"Too close for missiles, I'm switchin' to guns"

#83 Lizard Messiah

Lizard Messiah

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 04:58 AM

Namm and I have officially made it back to Seattle alive. Missing the heat already. Thanks to Apollo for putting us up again, hope we weren't too much trouble. Thanks to Ice, Apollo, bags and Langley for hosting. Naturally, we had fucking blast.

It was really cool to put some NIC names to faces (Zorn, Langley, Draconis, etc) and of course a treat to finally meet Groove and Spoon. Great location, gametypes and crowd. We'll see y'all next year. Hopefully I'll have a crossbow that doesn't break in the first round. Until then, SoCal bros.
A man is scarcely a man without a handkerchief.

#84 Langley

Langley

LGLF - Since 2002

• Administrators
  • 2,997 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 10:41 AM

Pros: Each and every goddamned one of you.

Cons: Waking up at 3:40 for a flight that gets delayed an hour when you don't particularly want to leave yet anyway.

I'll post more when I'm not hurtling through the air in a tiny metal tube. Until then, thanks to Ice Nine and Groove for putting us up and schlepping us around southern Cali all week. Thanks to Ice Nine, Zorn, Apollo and everyone else who helped run the war. Thanks to everyone who traveled from far away, came back from the dead, endured grievous mental anguish, or woke up kinda early for a Saturday in order to make it to the war. Everyone brought a good attitude to this thing and nobody broke rule 0. The venue was perfect, the weather was perfect, and all of the rounds went off without a hitch. Couldn't ask for a better war.

You can poop in my toilet anytime champ.

2016 Nerf War Schedule
Bless you, my son. Now recite 3 New Members Guides and 5 Code of Conducts for your sins.

#85 Daniel Beaver

Daniel Beaver

HQRSE CQCK

• Moderators
  • 2,097 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 12:13 PM

Cons: I didn't fucking go

#86 Ice Nine

Ice Nine

Prince Dangus

• Administrators
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 12:36 PM

That was an absurdly good war. First, I would like to thank everyone in attendance; we had about fifty people playing at the middle of the day, and everyone was a fantastic sport. I'd like to thank Langley, secondly, for taking on the roll of yelling when I couldn't (slash, didn't want to). Thanks to Apollo as well for his help, and the rest of SCUN, for putting up with my totalitarian safety regulations.

Also, big props to anyone who traveled. Lizard Messiah, Namm, Langley, JLego, Zorn, Draconis, whoever else I forgot off-hand, you guys are ballers.

It was wonderful to see the veteran members busting out. Spoon kicked ass and Groove was every bit as good as his reputation would suggest.

The school at which we played was easily one of the best Nerf locations I've ever seen, if not the absolute best. I look forward to many more wars there in the future.

We had a great round variety throughout the day. The speed rounds Langley threw together were super fun, freeze tag worked out to be amazing, carpe testiculum didn't turn to lazy play, missile crisis ended with a team scoring in under an hour (!!!), and deathmatch was solid. Some highlights:

• Thorn being a.) impossible to hit and b.) impossibly good at using his blasters. If I had been a team captain at any point he would have been my first choice every round.
  • The groundskeeper showing up, only to say that he was interested in seeing us play and not giving us any grief.
  • Every round of speed rounds: that young girl destroying many people with that single shot pistol thing; my (apparently unbelievable) failed slide maneuver; Spoon facing off against Thorn; the line of people cheering and yelling as the rounds played through.
  • Seeing Groove use a blaster I made brought warmth to the darkest regions of my heart.
  • Instinctively jumping away every time I heard the whistling of one of those Zing bow missiles.
  • Pants using the Maximizer not only to great effect, but without it exploding.
  • Just about a million other things.
Thanks again to everyone who came out. I'm looking forward to seeing all the pictures and video you guys took. As an additional request, I'm going to reiterate what Baghead said earlier this thread; if you can find a way to get him your video content (try uploading it to mega.co.nz if it's too big to email), that would be superb. This is the way to celebrate a war series that is fifteen years old.

Now, here is the photo of the Runner-Up Cutest Couple:

Posted Image

The GLHF Clan will be back soon (hopefully)!

Posted Image

Edited by Ice Nine, 23 June 2014 - 12:59 PM.

Unholy Three: DUPLUM SCRTA, DUPLUM PROBLEMA (2009)

But Zeke guns tend to be like proofs by contradiction

Theoretically solid but actually non-constructive

Rnbw Cln

#87 CaliforniaPants

CaliforniaPants

Futtbrustrated

• Moderators
  • 459 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 09:09 PM

Fantastic war, A+ location, finally meeting the east coast guys was great as was hanging out with them afterwards. Thorn is a beast, those young girls ran trains. Speed rounds and freeze tag were the best parts and I would readily play an entire day of just them. Nothing went wrong, you are all fantastic.

I took one picture at the war, its important
Posted Image

trans as shit because fuck you

#88 Thorn

Thorn

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 10:44 PM

This was a great first war for me, everyone was very welcoming and nice. I'll definitely be back next year.

+Meeting some legends (Groove, Spoon, Langley, etc.)
+Being able to put a face to a lot of usernames.
+Great location with lots of cover.
+Winning a lot of the speed rounds.
+Winning Deathmatch with my team.
+Meeting 2/3rds of the Unholy 3.
+Facing off against Spoon (and losing) in the speed rounds.
+/- Not gaining any ground on my team in missile crisis, then having the other team win in less than 3 minutes.
-Having to leave early.
-My ESLT blaster breaking a bunch.

Overall, this was an awesome war. Speed rounds and deathmatch were probably my favorite game types. I'll probably edit this post when I think of anything else.

Edited by Thorn, 23 June 2014 - 11:05 PM.

#89 Cartaya

Cartaya

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 12:04 AM

Missile Crisis was great, I remember Nate from SCUN talking about how difficult of a game it is to get the balance just right. And overall I just loved using my good old school single shooter tactics in battle and meeting Spoon and Jim Temper in person, and shooting them :). Modding a AT2K next month. Good game everyone.

--Cartaya

....Fear of a Nerf Planet!

#90 Cannonball

Cannonball

• Members
  • 357 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 12:11 AM

Amazing war! Huge props to Ice Nine and the rest of our hosts/facilitators. There was never a moment where I wished I was having more fun. Started strong and ended strong. I'm definitely going to remember this war.

Highlights:
- the speed rounds were as fun to watch as they were to participate in.
- the little nerfers owned the day. It's pretty much unanimous that Thorn was a force to be reckoned with.
- everyone played like champs.
- got to meet some insanely awesome new people. Huxxley. Thorn. The East Coast guys. Draconis. Spoon. All cool dudes.
- got to play with some familiar faces. It was good to see the Washington guys and the Utah group again. Better see you guys next year!
- rounds went smoothly game after game.
- shutting down the left alley with Groove the first round of Missile crisis.
- 3 min. Missile crisis win was kind of nuts.
- human cover in freeze tag is your best friend.

I had way too much fun. Thanks again to all involved. I'm sure I've missed a ton of mentionable stuff, but it was kind of a crazy day.

Edited by Cannonball, 24 June 2014 - 12:16 AM.

#91 shmmee

shmmee

• Members
  • 467 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 09:09 AM

Wow. That was a war to remember! Great company to road trip with - Thanks to Spoof (my sister), Jen, (friend of spoof) and NaturalMan7 (who shall forever be know to S.L.A.N.G. as "Kittens") You all made the 10 hour drive from Utah a joy and a pleasure. We nearly had to pull over in the last hour, we were laughing so hard. My van is a T.A.R.D.I.S! Whoda thunk?

Fantastic war, as well! It was great meeting so many new faces, as well as seeing a few familiar ones as well. The guys that flew in from the east coast were all studs. I really need to make it out to an Apoc someday.

That was a fantastic venue! It had the best mix of close quarters and long range I'd ever seen. I absolutely loved the freeze tag and lunch time speed rounds. I'll definitely be bringing them back home to play in Utah. It was hilarious watching the younger nerfers absolutely dominate the speed rounds! Watching the little lady with the single shot paint ball pistol own round after round was especially incredible.

Posted Image

Posted Image
"and we should respect the people who make our blasters. Even if we do molest the hell out of them..."
~BritNerfMogul

#92 azrael

azrael

• Members
  • 393 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 07:06 PM

Great time at the war despite breaking the pump on my Sceptor. Just an excuse to mod it more! Was nice to be able to put some faces to the names here.

Always love playing freeze tag, and for playing it for the first time, Carpe Testiculum was pretty fun. Can't believe Missile Crisis was ended in 2 minutes, haha.
Also, took this thing out for the first time!
Posted Image

I do think that it will work in that same location, if both teams were running missiles. One sided attack doesn't work there, I don't think haha.

Edited by azrael, 24 June 2014 - 07:12 PM.

Better Nerf By Science!
http://nerfscience.blogspot.com/

#93 roboman

roboman

• Members
  • 489 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 08:08 PM

As per usual, it was awesome, and the new location is sweet.
For once, it wasn't insanely hot, which was nice.

Pros:
Thorn (he's literally a pro)
Seeing some of the East Coast dudes at not-Apoc
Speed Rounds (I passed on those at last year's Apoc, and I'm definitely not making that mistake again)

Cons:
Leaky pump connection in my brand new 2K build
Scooter didn't pick up his printed turrets from me

I suppose I'll be seeing some of the out of towners in August because I guess it's pretty much assumed that I'll be at Apoc again.

Regarding the Missile Crisis gameplay, I don't think it would be easy to balance the advantages and disadvantages inherent with the two sides of the field if it was played like we used to, unless the whole thing was rotated 90 degrees, because the school is only roughly symmetrical in one direction. Even then, I think we still would've had the typical 1.5-2hr game that we've experienced in past years, and that's just not fun. One sided attack very clearly works well if you have good teamwork (and Micah) happening. We just kept blindly rushing the defending team with our missiles out in the open because not many people on our side realized that it's critical to protect the missile carriers, for some reason.

On another note, I think Ding would be a great gametype for a war the size of Geddon, simply because you'd be a lot less likely to end up with the one team that has all of the rapid fire stuff absolutely curbstomping the other team since there were a lot more people with pump-action things and Sceptors than we normally have.

Youtube

LS and Retaliator boltsleds are currently available at https://www.facebook.com/RoboM8/

#94 Axelion burnout

Axelion burnout

• Members
  • 292 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 02:59 AM

Great war guys!

+Impressive turnout with great representation ranging from veterans to newbies.
+Props to Zeke for taking on the hosting duties, and other leaders throughout the day stepping up and organizing rounds.
+Great to finally Nerf with some east coast legends, their reputations are well deserved.
+Spoon making it out before lunch.
+The domination that was our missile crisis team.
+Nice location which will see future war use here in SoCal.

All in all it was a great day, and I really regret having to take off right when things were winding down. It would have been great to hang with everyone afterwards. Hope to see you guys out here next year.
\,,/(^_^)\,,/

#95 Spoon

Spoon

Meh.

• Founders
  • 560 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 02:40 PM

Hot damn everyone, that was amazing. Thank you all for a badass war! A fantastic reminder of how much I love (and have missed) Nerfing. Definitely going to try to make it to more wars from now on.

Some highlights for me:

-Seeing Groove again, because he's fucking awesome. As well as Bags (also fucking awesome), and a whole bunch of other people I remember from years past.

-Meeting (well, re-meeting technically) Langley and Ice Nine, who are both badasses and incredibly nice.

-Meeting the Crossbow-toting, purple-headband-wearing Seattle duo who are super rad and very generous, both in terms of giving gifts and "generously" shooting me repeatedly.

-Watching Thorn and that young girl (who was she?!) completely dominate four grown men in the speed rounds. Unbelievable. Sorry I had to take you out later in one-on-one Thorn, but I have a (largely fictitious) reputation to uphold! ;)

-Watching in horror as my team got completely and unambiguously owned in missile crisis.

-That time, at the conclusion of my ill-fated last-minute missile run, when I laid down on the concrete and seriously considered vomiting and/or passing out from exhaustion.

-Feeling like a weird combination of C-rate celebrity and creepy old guy.

-Trying to decide how I felt about the fact that about a third of the attendees were younger than Armageddon itself. Proud? Old? Both?

-Feeling satisfied that, after five years away, the Nerfing performance I lost on account of my out-of-practice aim I seemed to gain back from having lost thirty pounds.

-Marveling at what great sports everyone was and how there wasn't a single dick, rule-breaker, or hit-denier. Seriously, such a great group.

-Being intimidated by the speed and proficiency of Langley's pastrami-eating skillz.

-Expressing my unrequited love for Falcon in a lunchtime voicemail that apparently caused him to almost wreck his car while he listened to it.

-Reflecting on the amazing current state of mods and homemades while being repeatedly lasered from like a hundred feet away.

-Remembering why I love Nerf so much and why I've spent 20 years (off and on) Nerfing.

Thanks so much to all of you! Until the next time....

Edited by Spoon, 26 June 2014 - 02:40 PM.

Two roads converged in the woods, and I took the one less traveled......and now I don't know where the hell I am.

#96 Thorn

Thorn

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 04:47 PM

-Watching Thorn and that young girl (who was she?!) completely dominate four grown men in the speed rounds. Unbelievable. Sorry I had to take you out later in one-on-one Thorn, but I have a (largely fictitious) reputation to uphold.

I believe she came with Basic Nerf (also known as Jason or Abstract Society) and her name was Summer. Also, no need to apologize, you won fair and square.

Edited by Thorn, 26 June 2014 - 05:13 PM.

#97 AbstractSociety

AbstractSociety

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 08:42 PM

I believe she came with Basic Nerf (also known as Jason or Abstract Society) and her name was Summer. Also, no need to apologize, you won fair and square.

Boy do I need to change my display name here.

Yup that's her. You can check her out online on Youtube and Instagram as Trix1204.

Also since the event was great and I don't feel like a simple list of pros and cons does the event justice, I plan on making a recap post in a week or two with photos, gameplay video, and my thoughts.

Edited by AbstractSociety, 26 June 2014 - 08:42 PM.

#98 Avatar of WoeBrian

• Members
  • 210 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 04:43 AM

:That horrible realization that you could have made it to this only to have missed it due to negligence.: Ice, thanks for hosting, but sorry I couldn't make it out for carpe and other shenanigans you had planned. Been busy with some things and honestly thought I wasn't going to be able to make this in the first place. Spoon and Groove(still remember you lending me that SS2 back in 2004), I came out to the last Armageddon after a 9 years or so hiatus thinking I'd be active enough to make it out to this one and greet you guys after so long, but I guess I failed. I can only look forward to a next time, but to everyone, glad you guys all had fun!
"Nerf-On or Fuck-Off!"

#99 Zorns Lemma

Zorns Lemma

Sir Scrt

• Moderators
  • 1,277 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 12:06 AM

My photos of the war are up: https://www.flickr.c...57644993525349/

Unfortunately I wasn't able to get individual shots of everyone at the war. Additionally, JLego somehow made a disproportionate number of these.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Also, who is this mysterious person that didn't do any nerfing at all, no sir?
Posted Image
"In short, the same knowledge that underlies the ability to produce correct judgement is also the knowledge that underlies the ability to recognize correct judgement. To lack the former is to be deficient in the latter."
Kruger and Dunning (1999)

#100 Thorn

Thorn

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 12:18 AM

Also, who is this mysterious person that didn't do any nerfing at all, no sir?

I think that is Mysterio. He said something about his mom sitting in the parking lot making sure he didn't play for some reason.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users